PDA

View Full Version : OOC Suggestion

Oriadin
May 21st, 2002, 08:43:01 AM
As a sugestion, would it be a good idea to have someone write a brief description of where each place is and a bit of what they look like. I dont think it should say to much because this is all about imagination but just enough to make sure we are talking along the same lines. I think there should definitely be a bit on where the places are, and perhaps a bit of history behind it or something?

what does everyone else think?

Master Yoghurt
May 21st, 2002, 08:41:54 PM
Good idea. A brief description could be included in the forum introductions, or we could have a separate thread describing the different places.

Navaria Tarkin
May 21st, 2002, 08:47:25 PM
maybe one of those sticky topics and a read first thing? Could title it Forum Description and Rules, if there are some pertaining it to the forum.

Would make things easier, yeah... course, people do have to read it :lol

Oriadin
May 22nd, 2002, 02:30:22 AM
A sticky was what I had in mind but what ever's easiest. I think it would help everyone.

Xazor Elessar
May 22nd, 2002, 06:50:59 AM
That's a good idea...but only one problem. See, everyone views everything in their mind differently. I already have a set way in my mind that everything looks like when I do RPs, such as the Living Quarters and my room in it. I have this huge bay window that overlooks the jungles and rivers and has a stunning view of the planets, suns, moons, and stars at night.

Same thing about the Academy. I always have to incorperate water into the spars I am in, so I say that there is an indoor fountain in there, so that I can get my water to make things such as "The Ice Cube". :lol

I personally think it should be left up to the RPers to write it out in their RPs, instead of having a set way things look...that almost takes the fun out of writing it. I don't know if this is weird or if I am the only one who does that, but it's like I am already "familiar" with how things are because I have always imagined them that way.

Oriadin
May 22nd, 2002, 06:59:08 AM
If you take a look at this thread you'll see what I mean...

http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18828

We only need a rough idea of what planet we are on and the basic idea of what the place looks like. Keep it vague but give it enough detail so we dont look like complete idiots when we say something wrong. I agree that everyone probably already has a mental image of what the place looks like in thier head but I think this would help new arrivals and even people that have been here for a while, like me!

Xazor Elessar
May 22nd, 2002, 07:02:10 AM
Yeah, I see what you mean. I knew that Arcan was gritty like that...but Yavin sounds nice to me and that is usually what I describe. I was just saying that I thought you meant, describing like, the bar and grill, the academy, the trading base, etc... :lol Never mind me...I'm just blonde! ;)

Oriadin
May 22nd, 2002, 07:23:22 AM
Oh, in that case, all is forgiven! lol

Xazor Elessar
May 22nd, 2002, 07:29:33 AM
:lol :lol :lol

Thanks Oriadin! ;)

Hunk
May 22nd, 2002, 07:48:06 AM
Alright! I'm an example!

Oriadin
May 22nd, 2002, 08:05:01 AM
(Hunk heads for instant fame)

Xazor Elessar
May 22nd, 2002, 08:10:42 AM
:lol

I read that and couldn't help but laughing! :lol

It was a good description....but not for Arcan! :lol

Oriadin
May 22nd, 2002, 08:42:21 AM
Thats the point. Chances are Id do the same. Hence why I think we need the small descriptions.

Xazor Elessar
May 22nd, 2002, 08:55:14 AM
Yeah, I just....never mind. I am just going to sound stupider if I continue on. :lol

Yes, a description of the planets that we RP with a lot...but leave the other stuff (Temple, Recruitment Center, Academy, etc...) up to our imaginations...right?? :lol

Oriadin
May 22nd, 2002, 09:15:02 AM
Yeah, id go along with that. So whos gonna do it?

Sage Hazzard
May 22nd, 2002, 01:19:48 PM
Well, I always describe the bar and such different with perticular characters. Each one's mood and personality views the bar differently.

Whenever Sage walks into the bar it's dark and dank. Rain trickles through leaks in the roof, he's soaking wet, the floor is wet, and everything looks like a bad event waiting to unfold.

For Avolon, it's a stomping ground. It's nice but dirty. There's always stuff to clean up, and incompetents to yell at. Liquor can be smelled through the air and the smoke in the room seems to warm the surroundings. Very dry.

For Syrius, it's like a budist monk convention. Everything's clean, people stay in line, and he's the outcast. When he lights a cigarette, he feels like there's a thousand disappoving eyes on him.

See? None of these are firm discriptions. Each one depends on how the character views it. In reality, it's probably a mix of all three. But the characters block out the details they don't pay attention to. Like for Syrius, he's seen some REAL dirty places, so the bar seems clean. For Avolon, dirt's home. Sage, well he has that ever looming rain cloud, so dirt isn't an issue.

Marcus Telcontar
May 22nd, 2002, 05:30:26 PM
One day I'll get off my ass and write a description of Arcan.

The only two places so far revealed are -

Whitetown - a Snowbound frontier place, about 10000 residents, very harsh and stormy with wild winds making transport diffcult. The southernmost settlement of Arcan

Arcan City - A gritty, usually dirty and gungy place, about a million residents. Formerly a hotbed of criminal activity, recently the military have taken over and run the place. The Governer is a former Major. There are three NRSF bases, the famed Bar and Grill (with is a multistory building, the bar itself is very large as it has become a tourist attraction) and Jedi recruitment and training facilities, as well as a private meeting area. The citizens of Arcan are rabidly supportive of the Jedi and the NRSF as they keep criminals away.

There are marketplaces and other trading areas, there is a high percentage of military population. In fact, that is where Arcan gets it's money from - supplying mercs and soldiers as that is what they are good at. Now however, they are forming a good deal of the NRSF. They also design weapons, with the help of the NR boffins.

Primarily human, tho there is no discrimination to aliens, who live comfortably with the humans. There is a decent spaceportand other modern facilities.

Brief but I can add to it when I have a bit more time