PDA

View Full Version : About Anakin[masked spoilers]

darth_mcbain
May 20th, 2002, 08:45:09 AM
What's the deal with Anakin's hand at the end of AOTC? When Luke had his hand severed, his replacement was indistinguishable from his real hand. Whereas Anakin's looks completely fake. Thoughts?

ReaperFett
May 20th, 2002, 10:10:14 AM
Edited the title, that could be a bit of a giveaway :)

and it's 20 years before :)

darth_mcbain
May 20th, 2002, 10:13:29 AM
Good point on the title - thanks for doing that...

As for the twenty years before thing you are right of course, but I still think that was a pretty crappy looking hand. Considering all of the technology in the SW Universe, I doubt that that is the best they could come up with. I mean, any civilization that can build cities like Coruscant should have better prosthetic technology than that. Maybe that was a temporary hand while they crafted a better one for him?

ReaperFett
May 20th, 2002, 10:34:03 AM
I would hope it Is just like that while waiting for skin

Loki Ahmrah
May 20th, 2002, 10:39:07 AM
I think that is the case. They seem to have a secret wedding and thus wanted to do it asap. Bear in mind, Luke only lost a hand, Anakin has to have a whole prosthetic arm made, the synthflesh will probably be added later.

Super Wookiee
May 20th, 2002, 10:59:59 AM
Also consider how mechanical Vader is in the Original Trilogy.....no fancy flesh. Lucas has to match it up with that.

Jedi Master Carr
May 20th, 2002, 01:02:37 PM
Anakin might have better hand in Ep 3 but I think the reason we saw it that way was symbolism it really connects with Obi-wan's line in ROTJ, "He is more machine now than man, twisted and evil." That way we see which way he is going.

Jedieb
May 20th, 2002, 01:56:11 PM
I wondered about that also. The technology to create a realistic looking arm should be there. As for Vader's arm, we never see what it looks like underneath the black suit. We just see the wires at the end of ROTJ. So it could still be synthetic flesh. Vader's arm and Luke's blaster wound looked very similiar, you could see wires protruding from both. I think we'll see a synthetic hand and forearm for EP3.

JMK
May 20th, 2002, 02:15:31 PM
I think it's fitting that he has an ugly, totally mechanical hand. If it were replaced with a flesh one, it would serve to restore his humanity, where as this clearly sets him upon the path of becoming a machine.

darth_mcbain
May 20th, 2002, 02:22:52 PM
That's an interesting take on that, JMK...

Also, continuity-wise, it wouldn't serve to have his hand look normal, as people might say "Hey, wasn't his hand just severed in the last scene?"

Live Wire
May 20th, 2002, 03:03:03 PM
Im thinking they didn't have a chance to do do all of the work. I got the impression he probably left for naboo fairly quickly after the fight and they're probably going to put something more permanent and human looking once he gets back to the jedi order.

Doc Milo
May 21st, 2002, 12:36:26 PM
Maybe he made a temorary replacement for himself!

Shawn
May 21st, 2002, 04:11:24 PM
I think Milo might be right. I, too, think it's fitting that he has a crude, mechanical hand.

Admiral Lebron
May 21st, 2002, 04:16:23 PM
Holonetnews.com had an article up this week on appendeges. They gave the impression his hand was good, by the old standard with the unveiling of a new thing. Or, it was the new thing.