PDA

View Full Version : Sexism in Star Wars

JMK
May 19th, 2002, 01:48:56 PM
Yep. Just when we've had enough of the racism thread, I'm dropping this bomb on you all. I was looking though yesterday's paper, and here's this glaring article title: "Women get a rar deal in space." I'm not going to type the whole thing here, as it would take all day, and I couldn't find it online. I'll retype the intro though.

"Star Wars is essentially a boy movie. And like the science-fiction genre generally, it's overwhelmingly marketed to boys.
Accordingly, the ladies of the Star Wars series for the most part get a raw deal. All they seem to do is suffer, suffer, suffer. With the release of Star Wars: Episode 2 Attack of the Clones, let's have a look at the pink-collar ghetto Star Wars has created."

And from there, it outlines how Shmi is a slave owned by a cheapskate, has to resort to immaculate conception stories about her son's birth, and never gets free of slavery. It even proposes that Anakin could have sent a cheque to buy her freedom

Beru is there to serve Owen, and she is seen as having that "funny pained" look as she serves drinks to everyone. Then it gripes about her dying at the start of ANH.

It critisizes Leia for falling for Han, nevermind the fact that she had 2 guys after her. Her falling for Han is sexist. WTF?

It continues with JMala, Chewie's wife, who sits around waiting for Chewie to show up in the Special Edition.

Oola, guess what she had to say about her...

Mon Mothma, this one I'll retype as it's short "She's the leader of the rebel alliance, but who gets the credit? Yeah." She's really reaching now, this writer. What crap.

Padme She breaks taboos by marrrying Anakin, she gives up her career (WTF??????), dead beat teenage husband and 2 kids that are strong in the force.

It complains that all of the women are thin and pretty, likewise with the female Jedi. While she's glad for the female Jedi, she goes on to say that it still the "old boys club" of Obi Wan, Yoda and Mace Windu.

This isn't as poorly thoght out as racism writers, but just as worthy as being thrown out the window.

ReaperFett
May 19th, 2002, 01:51:28 PM
dumb chick :)

JOKE! JOKE! :)

ReaperFett
May 19th, 2002, 01:52:53 PM
Seriously, if they're all thin and pretty, explain the fat dancer

JMK
May 19th, 2002, 02:08:09 PM
I was going to say that!

Jinn Fizz
May 19th, 2002, 02:18:12 PM
Originally posted by JMK
"Star Wars is essentially a boy movie. And like the science-fiction genre generally, it's overwhelmingly marketed to boys.

Um, last time I checked, I was a girl.

::checks quickly::

Yup, still am. ;)

Anywho, just some more silly criticism from someone with a bone to pick. What a dweeb. :p :p :p

Jedieb
May 19th, 2002, 03:29:24 PM
I'm tired of defending AOTC from idiots. Move along, move along...

Jedi Master Carr
May 19th, 2002, 03:39:39 PM
Was is this idiot day, what left to attack agism, there is enough old people in the movie or they are sterotypes or people with disabilities, Clegg is the sterotypical crippled :p

Sejah Haversh
May 19th, 2002, 03:48:07 PM
Good gravy, come on.

Sexist? Possibly, but then so would be most every myth and legend of heroic deeds. But you know why they'r epopular? Because it makes men want to be like the hero, and women want a man to be like the ones in the stories, to giv up, suffer, and sacrifice for them. IT shows caring, and love. And basic human feelings.

As far as the "old boys club" of Jedi Masters, who is to say that maybe that isn't a bad thing? Don't get me wrong, but in physical strength, most men are stronger than women, and would be more logical choices to train as warriors and knights, for it it more acceptable for them to do so.

Also, it is expected to be that way. Look at Jason and the Argonauts, King Arthuir and his knights, Robin Hood, Miyamoto Musashi, Buck Rogers, and Dick tracy, even. heck, don't forget Superman. We expect our heroes to often be men. We expect them to eb able to take a good deal of suffering so that others don't have to. We would not be happy if it were a woman putting herself though all that, for is is usually instinct to protect her rather than root for her.

Though there are many notable women in history, and I have to give them credit, but Star Wars isn't reality, it's fantasy, and built on pahts of old myths and legends. We expect thigns of it, and would complain if it were different, or politically correct, for it would not be fair to the grander picture of it beign a great story.

And that's all it is, a story.

Ryla Relvinian
May 19th, 2002, 04:00:08 PM
http://www.siubhan.com/sithacademy/story/sithacademy20.html

Being a female star wars fan is, imho, very different and also very similar to what the guys get. In almost every fan segment there are women who can enjoy it just as much, for example, collecting action figures, or making costumes, or fanfiction or whatever. It is true that, in the original trilogy there were just a few token female characters, but then again, consider that this universe is not a very hospitible environment for women, especially in the Empire.

EP1 was frustrating for me, because of Qui-Gon totally overlooking the possible reason for Aniakin. Instead of checking Shmi's MC count, he asks who the father was. Hello??? That didn't make sense to me. However, EP2 was refreshing for me to see so many female Jedi. I was glad that they can kick ass right along side of the dudes. Yay! There is hope for me yet!

ReaperFett
May 19th, 2002, 04:05:45 PM
And some of the female were cooler than most of the male :)

JMK
May 19th, 2002, 04:54:45 PM
I thought about that too Ryla, and I figure that maybe Qui Gon didn't sense anything at all in Shmi, so he didn't bother. They spent a fair bit of time together before he actually asked Shmi who the father was, so he had the time to sense Shmi's force potential.

Live Wire
May 20th, 2002, 12:58:27 AM
I've always been a star wars fan and respected that GL's characters are strong women who can take charge. And mon mothma did get a lot of credit for all of her work. Leia and padme were both strong independant women who knew what they wanted and what they were capeable of. Just cause they got into relationships doesnt take that away. Shmi was who she was cause we needed some weakness in anakin other then his arrogance.

That writer needs to get her head out of her ass and start watching star wars instead of bitching. True in the original trillogy there were no women jedi but hell there were no jedi period. THere were women in the rebellion. THere were women in the jedi order and even on the council. There were little girls among the jedi children.

Theres nothing sexist about star wars and that writer is as bored and screwed up as the morons who thought jar jar was defaming the black community. There are dorks out there looking for something to be offended about cause they have nothing better to do. And I say all this as a half black female star wars fan.

Marcus Telcontar
May 20th, 2002, 02:37:25 AM
Geez, some people are idiots. Please dont repost the article, I dont want to be sick

JMK
May 20th, 2002, 02:26:38 PM
Don't worry, I won't, it's too much to type.:p

Nathaniel Nore
May 20th, 2002, 04:53:37 PM
Well she's right!!

and of course its racist to electronic devices too...

just look at "We dont serve there kind here!" in ANH, and poor C3P0 and R2 have to wait outside!

Toasters of the world!!!! REVOLT AGAINST THIS RACISM!!

Sejah Haversh
May 20th, 2002, 05:03:03 PM
And Even Obi-Wan makes a discrimating statement against Mace Windu and Yoda! "Send this to Coruscant, care of the old folks home."

See! Age discrimination!

(Pshaw, like I really care...)

Live Wire
May 20th, 2002, 05:06:32 PM
I might actually listen to people who made these arguements if they weren't all so stupid! Im willing to listen to anyone intelligent even if I dont agree but when the person has the iq of a wamprat then I don't give them the time of day.

NeuroMortis
May 20th, 2002, 05:09:10 PM
There was a crowd picketing our theatre.

MORE GAY DROIDS!
MORE GAY DROIDS!
MORE GAY DROIDS!

Hey, it could happen...

Sejah Haversh
May 20th, 2002, 05:10:08 PM
Man on Street: "Excuse me, I have the IQ of a Wamprat, could you tell me what time it is, madam?"

LW: "NO!" :headbash

Live Wire
May 20th, 2002, 05:10:12 PM
you're disturbing

lol@ sejah!!!! :D that would be me too

NeuroMortis
May 20th, 2002, 05:14:07 PM
Anyone read 'Boondocks,' the comic strip?

Great satire paralleling these topics right now regarding the fact that Sam Jackson has to use a purple lightsabre 'because he's black...'

It's syndicated...I'll try to find a link..