PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone notice this between Yoda and Palpatine [masked spoilers]

Nathaniel Nore
May 19th, 2002, 10:42:20 AM
Did anyone notice that in the scene where Palatine is trying to get Padme to accept Jedi protection, Padme is in the middle of a sentace of "i dont think the situation is that important" or something like that and Palpatine finishes her sentace for her. Then it shows a close up of Yoda turning to look at Palpatine and squinting his eyes. My take is that Yoda wonders about Palpatine and the force. Anyone else catch that?

Admiral Lebron
May 19th, 2002, 10:47:07 AM
Yes. I noticed that. I think Yoda knows about Palpatine's other life. Or is suspecting something.

Nathanial K'cansce
May 19th, 2002, 11:41:31 AM
I definately noticed it... and when I did my jaw dropped and I mouthed the words "he knows". I'm almodt posative that Yoda Knows what is going on.

Figrin D'an
May 19th, 2002, 12:38:02 PM
I don't think Yoda knows exactly what is going on, but from that glimpse that he gives Palaptine in the Chancellor's office, I think that Yoda does suspect that Palpatine is up to something... by the end of the film, I think he realized that the Jedi, the Senate, the Seperatists, everyone, were playing right into the hands of a darker presence, manipulating everything.... that's why he says, "Begun the Clone War has." He knows that Geonosis was just the beginning, and the the real war is on the horizon...

Jedieb
May 19th, 2002, 01:00:26 PM
I don't think Yoda caught on to any Force potential Palpy had. I just think he may have started to wonder something about Palpy's motivations. Palpatine finishing Padme's sentence was just an example of two people who've know each other for years being able to finish one another's sentences. After all, Palpatine has known Amidala for over a decade. He knew she wouldn't want any extra protection because he knows her so well. Dooku's little hint clue about Senators being under the control of the Sith may enable Yoda to put 2 and 2 together, who knows.

JMK
May 19th, 2002, 01:22:44 PM
I agree. I think he completely missed the force, but Yoda is wise enough to spot a liar.

JMK
May 19th, 2002, 02:45:58 PM
And speaking of Yoda and Palpatine, remember this line from ROTJ:"Do not underestimate the powers of the Emperor, or suffer your father's fate you will". It occured to me that this line is very telling for us. I think we will get to see the Emperor in action.

And how exactly did Anakin underestimate the Emperor's power?'
What will the Emperor do to Anakin to bend him to his will and have control over him like no one, not even Obi Wan ever did?

Jedieb
May 19th, 2002, 03:25:54 PM
Just look at the influence Palpatine ALREADY has over Anakin. Palpy has been blowing so much sunshine up Anakin's butt that he's already one of the few politicians Anakin trusts. I don't think that Yoda meant Anakin underestimated the Emperor, just that he was seduced by him. The same thing would happen to Luke if HE underestimated the Emperor. Both Skywalkers would end up being apprentices to Sidious.

Jedi Master Carr
May 19th, 2002, 03:29:58 PM
I think we will see Palpatine in action perhaps he kills Mace in a huge battle and maybe Yoda witnessed it, I guess there are other possibilities.

foxdvd
May 19th, 2002, 04:30:53 PM
If I am not mistaken, what you speak of is pictured in Jedieb's sig-picture...

Marcus Telcontar
May 19th, 2002, 04:56:27 PM
I am certain Yoda knows more than what he is saying. A LOT more. I am almost certain Yoda knows who the Sith is too.

JMK
May 19th, 2002, 07:26:07 PM
If he does know who the Sith is, how come he doesn't say anything to Mace and the rest of the council, sure they would listen to him, and more importantly, how come he doesn't keep Anakin away from Palpatine?

I think one of the council's biggest mistakes was not giving Anakin up to either Mace or Yoda once it was evident that he was on the dark path, ie slaughtering the tuskens.

I just can't see Yoda knowing all and standing by and not saying anything about it.

Marcus Telcontar
May 19th, 2002, 08:21:03 PM
And what if Yoda knows the repubic is finished and needs to pass on? Remember, even Yoda said The Jedi were becoming arrogant and not what they were supposed to be. Cant remember the exact quote, but it shows Yoda knows there is corruption and real unfixable problems. I really believe Yoda can see a lot further down the road and knows that the real solution is going to be painful. Now, I dont know why Yoda isnt saying anything, but I guess we will see

Jedieb
May 19th, 2002, 09:15:39 PM
I don't believe that Yoda knows anything more than the rest of the Jedi council. He certainly doesn't suspect Palpy. The novelization, while not being a perfect translation of the film, doesn't even hint that Yoda knows of Palpy/Sidious' plans. They know the Dark Side is at work, but they have no idea it is Palpatine himself. At least that's my take on it.

Marcus Telcontar
May 20th, 2002, 02:23:33 AM
Oh, I would disagree with that. i thought the novel made it clear Yoda was very suspicious of Palpatine and clearly knew more what was going on than he was letting on. My take was that Yoda was even allowing some things to happen. i really believe Yoda knows much more than anyone suspects.

JMK
May 20th, 2002, 02:10:12 PM
I can deal with Yoda knowing more, and I can even see how that's possible, because, well, it's Yoda, but I can't believe that if he knew more than he was letting on, especially if the galaxy was on the brink of civil war that he would just not say or do anything.

Live Wire
May 20th, 2002, 03:06:15 PM
Well if yoda knew the eventual outcome then I can see him keeping silent. The old saying you have to get worse before you can get better would apply. They knew that anakin was the boy of the prophecy and that he would bring balance back to the universe. So if yoda could forsee that anakin had to turn to the dark side in order to fix things then I can see him keeping quiet. without anakin then palpatine could have ruled indefinately and then another sith taken over.

With anakin as the apprentice and him finally doing in the master it took out both master and apprentice and restored balance back to the galaxy. I dont know how much yoda knew or how much of an idea he had of future events but he may have known that sometimes the best thing to do is let events run their course.

JMK
May 20th, 2002, 03:21:18 PM
If that were the case, and if I were Yoda, then I would avoid the war, let Palpatine take over, send all of my Jedi friends into hiding, and just lay low until Anakin comes back to kill the Emperor.

Live Wire
May 20th, 2002, 03:25:57 PM
they couldnt really avoid the war. Even if they didnt use the clones the seperatists already had a droid army. They were in a catch 22. The only choice was war and to make the war as painless as possible. I dont think it really was as easy as going into hiding. Always in motion, the future. I dont think doing anyting but waiting was an option. Palpatine orchestrated it to perfectly.

JMK
May 20th, 2002, 03:33:33 PM
If Yoda knew it was coming, then it would be easy for him to gather the Jedi and split. Take the "To hell with this, we're not soldiers, let the republic fight, I can't have the Jedi wiped out." Plus, you're right, the future always is in motion, so it is too hard for Yoda to accurately predict what's going on. That's what I've thought all along, Yoda simply didn't see it coming to this, and can't see the future.

Live Wire
May 20th, 2002, 03:35:59 PM
well just cause he can't give you names and dates of whats gonna happen doesnt mean he can't get flashes of what might happen or what will happen. He may not be able to give you a detailed timeline but it doesnt mean that hes clueless.

besides taking the jedi and running I dont think would work. Palpatine and Vader hunted down and killed the jedi. Im sure the jedi didn't just say here I am kill me. Im sure many went into hiding and were found and killed.

JMK
May 20th, 2002, 03:44:02 PM
I don't know, letting things run their course and "get worse before they get better" seems very pacifist to me, especially when its your job to maintain peace and order in the galaxy. I don't think Yoda could justify a war, and billions of death and mass amounts of suffering to occur just because one day Anakin will put an end to it at some point.

Live Wire
May 20th, 2002, 03:50:02 PM
Well whats worse....letting the empire rule for 20 to 30 years and having the dark side eventually be eliminated. Or perhaps taking anakin out of the picture and the whole galaxy is screwed not for 20 or 30 years but 200 or 300 years. Or who knows how long it could have gone on before there was someone else who could have stopped palpatine or his successors.

Jedieb
May 20th, 2002, 05:26:22 PM
I didn't read anything in the novel that would lend credence to the idea that Yoda suspected that Palpatine and Sidious are the same. The fact that the Jedi's connection to the Force is being diminished is a key theme in the film. Even Yoda cannot see the future because the Dark Side is "clouding" the future. Yoda and the Jedi Council couldn't even see the creation of the clone army and Dooku's involvement in it. So what proof is there that they have a clue now. Even with Dooku's clue they're still scratching their heads.

The scene we're talking about is in Chapter 5. During that scene there's NOTHING hinting that Yoda is suspicious about Palpatine. When Palpy finishes Padme's sentence there's simply nothing there about Yoda catching on to ANYTHING. I think we're reading WAY to much into a facial gesture. There certainly isn't enough proof to suggest that Yoda is going to willingly stand by and hide certain facts from Jedi like Mace and Obi-Wan so that thousands of Jedi and billions of beings suffer and die, just so that things can play out a certain way.

Admiral Lebron
May 20th, 2002, 06:11:21 PM
I think that Yoda could see Anakin killing off palpatine, but he didn't see how long it would take nor how many lives would die. It's like he read the last page in a huge book and just found out that the good guys win.

JMK
May 20th, 2002, 06:14:03 PM
Amen!
Yoda's always spoken up when he's had to! He has no idea what's going on, nor any solid idea of what's about to happen to the galaxy and the jedi. He would definetly do something if he thought otherwise.

Doc Milo
May 21st, 2002, 12:59:24 PM
I agree with Master Kyle. But would like to point out that if Yoda knew something, that it's entirely possible that any course of action would lead to the same end -- because of the destiny of the galaxy.

But, there is nothing in the film that suggests he knows anything (I didn't read the novel.) In the end when, Mace, Obi-Wan and Yoda are talking, Obi-Wan asks Mace if he thinks there is any truth to what Dooku said. Yoda doesn't seem to think it's true. He seems to think that Dooku is lying to try and create mistrust. But he and Mace agree that the Senate should be watched, regardless. This doesn't sound like someone who suspects Palpatine and Sidious are the same.