PDA

View Full Version : $25.3M for Friday

Dutchy
May 18th, 2002, 12:01:30 PM
A 16% drop from Thursday. Hmmm...

Oh, estimated, of course.

Dutchy
May 18th, 2002, 12:11:54 PM
Friday was always TPM's weakest weekend day. On its opening weekend Friday made up for 28% of its 3-day weekend gross. If AOTC would do the same it will gross $90M for this weekend.

Later in TPM's run, starting on the 2nd already, Friday made up for closer to 25% of its weekend gross, by the way.

Oh, TPM's Friday was $18.5M.

Quadinaros
May 18th, 2002, 12:33:53 PM
This is fabulous news!!

I was expecting more like $21-$22 million. Now it should certainly pass $100 million on Sunday. It may even have more after its 4-day weekend than TPM had on its opening 5-day weekend.

Impressive!! :smokin

JMK
May 18th, 2002, 12:38:01 PM
It's certainly looking good!

JonathanLB
May 18th, 2002, 12:40:31 PM
This is awesome, it hit my prediction and beat it by $0.3 million, which is pretty damn good considering my prediction was already high.

I said $87M weekend so this is what I had, but Dutchy is correct here:

$25M
$34M
$28M

There are several problems with that, lol, first of which is that the Sunday gross I predicted is more than a 10% drop from Saturday which may be too much, as TPM only fell 10% from its Saturday (which was, well, rather amazing). Then again, perhaps this time that won't hold true, so it's an ok prediction. Second, though, Dutchy your math works well in using a similar idea for what % Friday made up for TPM, IMO. That's of course great thinking.

I'm very happy with $25.3 million Friday. What do you think, Dutchy? I think that's pretty impressive! Not that much of a fall from opening day, yet Friday had no midnight screenings that supposedly made up about $6 to $8 million.

Darth23
May 18th, 2002, 12:46:55 PM
Lee's movie Info is saying $24.665 million

Same ballpark.

Friday's numbers (according to <a href=http://www.leesmovieinfo.net/WBOdb.php?m=05&d=17&y=2002&ae=1&dp=1> Lee's movie info</a>:

1 Star Wars: AOTC - $24.7
2 Spider-Man - $11.6
3 Unfaithful - $2.9
4 About a Boy - $2.6
5 The New Guy - $2.0

Darth23
May 18th, 2002, 12:52:20 PM
So where did the 25.3 figure come from?

Dutchy
May 18th, 2002, 12:57:53 PM
Jonathan, AOTC's opening will tell us something, but the real test, of course, will be its staying power. I think its weekend gross will come close to my $85M prediction. In the long run it's hard to tell yet.

Darth23, you're right, Boxoffice Mojo, who posted that $25.3M, changed his number to $24.665M.

Something to ponder: Spider-Man dropped just 42% from last Friday (while last Friday it dropped 49%), and, in its 3rd Friday, made 47% of AOTC, in its 1st Friday.

Jinn Fizz
May 18th, 2002, 01:01:38 PM
Per screen average is interesting, though, make sure to check that out. AOTC's average yesterday was something like $7400, while Spidey's was only $3199. So that does show that the number of screens does make a difference.

CMJ
May 18th, 2002, 02:13:57 PM
I'd have to say that's a really strong number. I'm thinking today the gross will be right around it's opening day one, though who really knows at this point?

JonathanLB
May 18th, 2002, 05:39:44 PM
I don't think it will be that close to the opening day number. It will be significantly higher. In the $34-36 million range.

The theater was incredibly busy today, wow. Sold out, all showings, they added a midnight showing to accomodate the interest. I got a ticket to the 10:45 showing too, so that will be #6 for me.

I agree, Dutchy, that Spider-Man is holding up well. I think that Spider-Man is benefitting more than I thought it would from AOTC. Actually, that's more like AOTC being more full than I thought it might be at the existing theaters. So, I guess then it's not surprising some people do want to go see *A* movie and if AOTC is sold out, fine, they will see Spidey.

The second weekend is also what I am most interested to see, for AOTC. Although the Saturday increase, Sunday decline, and Monday gross will give us a pretty good idea. They should, anyway.

If it drops only about 50% from Sunday to Monday, then I would assume it is on course for similar staying power as TPM. That would be an extremely good thing. Like, extremely good. In other words, Titanic... watch out. Now I'm not saying that's going to happen, but just do the math and you see what I mean quite clearly.

Here:

$85M (opening) * 6.5 (multiple that TPM made compared to its opening) = $552.5 million.

Very scary, hehe.

So I really don't think this $390M estimate is going to workout unless this film has pretty mediocre staying power. I think it is possible that the movie has lesser staying power than TPM, possibly, because of its slightly wider release and theater count, but then say 20% of the total comes from the opening weekend, which is "good" staying power, but not "excellent" staying power, then you get $425 million.

I think your TPM prediction, Dutchy, would have worked well here too. lol. You should have been like, "Ditto!"

Darth23
May 18th, 2002, 05:39:44 PM
If 24 million is the low oint for the weekend then it will be very nice. Not as outrageous as I predicted, but still very good.

100 million in 4 days and it's 4 day total similar to Spiderman's 3 day total.

A 35% drop would give it 65 million next weekend, but since it's Memorial Day, Sunday would play more like a Saturday andI think the dopr would me more like 25% max.

JonathanLB
May 18th, 2002, 05:57:20 PM
I agree with you, Darth.

Anyway, $110 million or more (and likely more) for 4 days is rather awesome. TPM made $105 million in FIVE days, lest we forget, and would anyone here say it let us down at the box office? I think it did quite well, made more money than ANY OTHER MOVIE EVER MADE ON FIRST RELEASE... except Titanic. I mean, come on, that was frickin' awesome.

Seriously though, here is the "doomsday" scenario that puts AOTC over Titanic, the "Never-Tell-Me-The-Odds" fan calculation (certainly more realistic than TPM, which didn't seem to have much of a chance from day 1):

-Instead of 15.5% of its total coming from opening weekend, like TPM roughly, 14% comes from the opening weekend, like Jurassic Park, 1993's massive blockbuster. So the staying power for AOTC just ever so slightly bests TPM because of a higher approval rating and increased theatrical viewings among fans and moviegoers.

-Instead of an $85M opening, AOTC makes $87 million this weekend.

-Overall math comes out to $87 million being 14% of the total, which means $621.43 million final domestic gross defeats Titanic and claims first.

That would be the only realistic scenario for AOTC beating Titanic. It could happen, but obviously I think the odds of it clearing $500 million even perhaps are not that good, so I'm not saying, "Hey, gee look, let's all get hyped over nothing," but I am just putting fun numbers out because this is what we all like doing anyway, throwing random scenarios out that are more or less plausible and then hoping against hope that it could happen.

Anyway, if TPM could make 6.5 times what it opened at, so can another Star Wars movie. I'm not saying it will, I'm saying it is possible because it has been done before already by a very similar film in the exact same franchise. So imagining it making 7.15 times its opening instead of 6.5 or 6.6 is not exactly the most massive stretch ever.

Then saying it opens with $87 million is, again, not a stretch and the film already appears to be on track for $83 to $90 million this weekend. $87M is simply the medium number.

All I'm saying is as situations go, it may be 20-1 against that happening, but it's not impossible certainly.

JMK
May 18th, 2002, 06:04:29 PM
Do you guys think the legs will be there for AotC? I guess we'll know better after next weekend or the weekend after.

JonathanLB
May 18th, 2002, 06:11:55 PM
I really don't hear applause like that at other movies I attend, and I do attend them all. Spider-Man drew some applause when I went, but it was more scattered. I cheered! Personally I loved Spidey, so I'm not trying to say people don't like it. I think people love Spider-Man for the most part, but man, people have been going nuts over AOTC even at the matinee screenings Saturday. Not even opening day, not the fans at those screenings, just the normal moviegoers.

The Force is with us.

If AOTC falls 20% next weekend, Friday-Sunday (helped by the fact that Sunday could be bigger than Saturday as often happens when followed by Memorial Day), then we will know that AOTC has a chance at becoming at least the 2nd highest grossing movie of all time.

If it falls 35%, well, it'll do very well overall, but probably finish with just over $400 million. Depending. Perhaps if it fell 35% next weekend, but instead of TPM, which fell 36% the weekend after Memorial Day, then only fell 25% the next weekend, it'd still be ok.

It's just tough to say. We need declines entirely in the 20's from weekend 2 through weekend 8 to have a good chance.

Jedi Master Carr
May 18th, 2002, 06:13:50 PM
Yeah that is pretty good number, I went to see it again today and it was packed at my theater, and plus they added 2 screens since I saw it on Thursday and each screen was sold out when I got for all the afternoon shows (I bought my tickets in advance) I figured Saturday would be the big day because Families would be going and there were a lot of families there, I say it does at least 30 but I think a little more because it appeared to be more crowded and plus 2 additional screens at my theater would make a difference. I am guessing somewhere between 30-34 for Saturday which would be great and maybe like 26-28 on Sunday that so somewhere between 110-116 which would be great, it will defintely cross the 100 million barrier and if anybody calls its gross disapointing I will knock them across the ahead especially since it will be only the second movie ever to make 100 million in 4 days.

As far as Spiderman, I think it will make about 35-37 for the weekend which is good a 50% drop but I expected it, it should hold ok over memorial day maybe another 30-35 but after that it will really drop I think.

Darth23
May 18th, 2002, 06:44:14 PM
The Force.net posted Fridays numbers and threw in an editorial comment about how it was a dissapointing number.

I emailled them a response:

"The Friday box office estimates are disappointing for AOTC. Spiderman seems to have lost little momentum, going up against a new release as big as Star Wars."

Fridays' numbers are NOT disappointing. In 1999 TPM made 19 million on Friday - Friday was always the lowest day of the weekend for TPM and it will be again for AOTC. Most people who skipped work or school to see it Thursday don't do the same thing on Friday so the daytime shows weren't' nearly as full. If

Friday was opening Day things would have been different.
Look for a Saturday gross similar to opening day and Sunday's numbers to be higher than Friday's. AOTC will easily pass $100 million on Sunday - day 4 - a day sooner than TPM.

I know you guys posted that AOTC would be a 'disappointment' if it's numbers didn't match Spiderman, but apparently every media outlet in the world except you guys got the message that TPM is playing on 500 less theaters and 1000 less screens - therefore if both movies sell out everything, EP. 2 cant' make as much. There just aren't enough seats.

Since TPM and AOTC are both Star Wars movies it would probably be at least as insightful to compare the two, as you continue to compare it to Spiderman.
--------

From Lee's Movie Info:
http://www.leesmovieinfo.com/
"Not a Gigantic Splash, But Not Disappointing Either"
"Settling down a slight bit in its second day in release, Attack of the Clones scored up $24.7 million in ticket sales on Friday, May 17, adding its two day total to $54.8 million at the box office. Booked in 3,161 theaters, Episode II averaged $7,803 per-screen on Friday. Star Wars is headed for a 3-day take of $75 - 85 million and a 4-day haul of $105 - 115 million."

From Box Office Guru.com:
http://www.boxofficeguru.com/051802.htm
The Jedi faithful spent an estimated $24.7M on the new George Lucas epic Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones on Friday, its second day of release. The Fox event picture slipped only 18% from its opening day gross of $30.1M from Thursday which included sales from midnight shows late Wednesday night. After two days, the PG-rated film has grossed a fantastic $54.8M.
Episode II's Friday take was a robust 34% stronger than the Friday gross of 1999's Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace on its opening weekend. That film, which debuted one day earlier on a Wednesday, collected $18.5M on its first Friday leading to a three-day weekend gross of $64.8M.

The Friday performance of Clones did not come close to the record $39.4M that Spider-Man took in on its Friday launch two weeks ago. However, comparisons would be unfair for a number of reasons. Spider-Man's Friday was the opening day which is the day when die-hard fans rush out. Plus it had roughly 1,500 more prints in the marketplace and much less competition from other films.

Following its weekday debut, Episode I witnessed 28% of its three-day weekend figure on Friday. Phantom Menace climbed 32% on Saturday to $24.4M and remained strong on Sunday easing just 10% to $21.9M. With most critics and fans finding Episode II to be superior to its predecessor, it could follow a similar path this weekend and generate a three-day gross in the neighborhood of $80-90M. Add in Thursday's stellar performance and Star Wars Episode II may find itself with $110-120M over its four-day debut frame."

----------

I kind of think you guys could use a regular Box Office analyst yourself. I could recommend one. I know several people who spend a lot of time studying Box Office performance, especially Star Wars B. O.

See ya!
Darth23"

JonathanLB
May 18th, 2002, 07:05:17 PM
I just sent them an e-mail too, in support of what you said.

I was not nearly as polite. I was polite enough, but I also said they have no idea what they are talking about and if they want to avoid looking like fools, they can remove their editorial comments and simply report the facts. Leave the box office tracking to us experts. Idiots.

If $24.6 million sucks, then so does $18.5 million, and that's what TPM made on the same day of its run (Friday), yet that film became the 3rd highest grossing of ALL TIME in the U.S. Anyway, even factor in ticket price inflation and $24.6 million is way more tickets than $18.5 million in 1999 dollars. That per theater average is well better too, regardless of inflation.

TPM: just over $21,000 per theater for three days.

AOTC is surely going to make it to about $25,000 per theater to $29,000, somewhere around there.

Geez TFN is such a DUMB site sometimes. I really like them, but honestly, get it right. They did this last time too, they are just stupid.

JMK
May 18th, 2002, 07:15:19 PM
Here's what I sent them:

You just went and called AotC's box office numbers disappointing? What were you expecting? If you had bothered to look and think about the numbers, you'd know that it is virtually impossible to duplicate Spider-Man's numbers. 1000 less screens for Star Wars. 500 less theaters. Thursday opening. Come on guys, you can surely find a better way to pick on AotC's performance aside from the obvious reasons, can't you? Oh wait, you can't, because the performance is terrific! I hope you guys post a retraction or something...

Marcus Telcontar
May 18th, 2002, 07:15:52 PM
Gee, like I would be disappointed if MY movie had scored 24 million in a a day.

NOT.

It looks like AOTC could do 80 million in a weekend - like that the third movie ONLY to do that. On a far more restircted release - compare 7500+ prints for Harry Potter for goodness sakes! And Potter is barely ahead! This is amazing and much higher than I would have expected

Jedi Master Carr
May 18th, 2002, 07:22:22 PM
Exactly theforce.net is just being stupid, I wonder how quick they will retract it.

JMK
May 18th, 2002, 07:31:56 PM
I've already received a response:

"The "disappointing" remark is comparing AOTC's Thurs and Fri box office numbers. A 6 milion drop off is substantial, considering Friday was the 2nd day of its release, and that Friday is a bigger day for theater box office receipts. "

Looks like they didn't really hear what you said D23. The fact that people skipped thursday work, and not friday? Yeah, they seemed to conveniently miss that again...

Darth23
May 18th, 2002, 07:45:44 PM
If a $6 million drop on Firday is substantial, Mondays numbers will REALLY be a dissapointment. After all it will only be day 5 of its release.

Maybe they don't know about TPM's drop from 28 million to 12 million on it's second day.

:p

Who sent that response? Did they sign their name? No one has responded to me yet- I'm not sure of they will.

JMK
May 18th, 2002, 07:55:44 PM
Carter @ Tf.n signed the email. I have his personal email, PM me if you want it. It's an earthlink address.

BUFFJEDI
May 18th, 2002, 08:47:00 PM
I know you guy's are getting SICK and tired of me saying this BUT just like TPM, AOTC is getting SHAFTED. That's all i'll say :)

BUFFJEDI
May 18th, 2002, 08:49:18 PM
BTW are we getting any feed back on AOTC world wide numbers and Spidermans world wide numbers?

JonathanLB
May 18th, 2002, 08:49:22 PM
What an idiot. Doesn't he realize what Website he runs?!?!

The reason there IS a Star Wars FAN site that has that incredible of traffic is because we have so many fans that opening day is always a MASSIVE event, and the decline from Friday was fantastic. It barely fell at all, as remarked by that one box office site, because the midnight showings in fact were the only reason that Thursday was higher than Friday. Take those away and you'd see an increase from Thurs. to Fri.

What an idiot, seriously. It doesn't work like that.

Anyway, TPM made the most money on its opening day and NEVER again duplicated that success in a day, but that didn't matter. The film did absolutely excellent and that's a fact, so if AOTC is doing better, it's doing, well, words hardly describe where this film could end up if it followed TPM's trajectory.

An $80 million weekend, which I think is a low estimate, would ROCK still!

Harry Potter didn't have 7,500 screens; it actually had 8,100, exactly 2,000 more than AOTC.

Spider-Man had 1,500 more screens than AOTC, not 1,000. That is a huge, huge difference.

Anyway, it's the final total that matters and AOTC is going to crush Spider-Man.

JMK
May 18th, 2002, 09:16:53 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaamen.
But the critics will say that it took Star Wars too long to pass Spider Man.

JonathanLB
May 18th, 2002, 09:25:50 PM
*mumbles: but if it clears $500 million they won't have much else to say but wow, and it will have a very very good shot at $500M*

Darth23
May 18th, 2002, 09:28:18 PM
Originally posted by JMK
Carter @ Tf.n signed the email. I have his personal email, PM me if you want it. It's an earthlink address.

That's DK (Darknight) - I don't think it's a secret. He should know who to check with if he wants accurate Box Office info.

:p

JonathanLB
May 18th, 2002, 09:33:51 PM
I wish they'd make you their box office analyst, Darth23, you know your stuff and you'd give them great information and analysis. They need someone like you there helping out, even when they want to talk about whatever new film just beat whatever old SW record, you could tell them how that compared.

For instance, the fact that Harry Potter made so much, blah blah, you could have explained that it really wasn't a competition because HP opened on 33% more screens than TPM, err, actually more than that, therefore with the higher ticket prices too, it hardly should be compared.

They often seem to report stuff like that just for ticking people off, which is odd given it IS supposed to be a fan site...

Did anyone else notice that at the IMDB, AOTC has an 8.2 (113th best movie ever, hehe), but one IMDB staff member gave it a 2/10?! LOL, man what an idiot. Nobody intelligent would say that. No critic said that. The worst ratings were like in the 4 or 5 out of 10 range, and that was really really rare. Like Lisa's Entertainment Weekly review was a 6/10. Newsweek was more like a 5 or 6 out of 10. Nobody with a brain would give a film like that less than a 5, and I have to question 5 too.

Even if you hated the acting, dialogue, and didn't understand the plot, you'd have to be entertained enough to give it 2 to 2.5 stars.

JMK
May 18th, 2002, 09:41:59 PM
It's ok to give it a 2/10, the person is in the minority, but they have every right to hate AotC, whether they're staff or not. It's just too bad because the person probably has no idea of what constitutes a good movie, and probably has no imagination to speak of.

JonathanLB
May 18th, 2002, 09:43:48 PM
Yes, they have every right, but clearly the person has no taste, lol.

I have every right to think that anyone who doesn't at least marginally like AOTC has no taste in film, and I wouldn't trust their views on any other movie either. Just as I don't trust critics who don't like Gladiator, Spider-Man, or AOTC (*ahem* hello Ebert, you fat b@stard!)

JMK
May 18th, 2002, 09:51:11 PM
Yep, that's true too. I wouldn't trust them to tell me how many numbers there are from 1 to 10.

JonathanLB
May 18th, 2002, 09:56:46 PM
Hahahaha. Nice. Yeah I agree with that.

I have a range for people before I start thinking they are clueless. I mean, if they say AOTC is 2.5 stars, perhaps they just didn't get it, but I will still respect their opinion on another movie. If they say it is 1/2 star, then they are stupid. The movie clearly was more than their puny brain could handle and therefore I wouldn't ever ever ask them for movie advice again. That's not true of every film I love, though, like if someone didn't like Donnie Darko, maybe it just isn't their type of film, I can accept that. But for the fun of a Star Wars movie alone, if someone literally thinks one of the movies is not just average, but BAD, then they have no taste in film. They just obviously need to pay more attention at the theater or rent the movies again.

I'd like to re-iterate in this thread that if I wanted to be safe, I'd have said $440M for AOTC. I want to make that continually clear, so that if it does make a more "normal" (LOL) amount like that, then I don't have to defend my prediction in the other thread. I never made that prediction with the belief I was going to be RIGHT for certain, I just am that optimistic that I like to think high numbers here.

So I could have been safe, and correct, but I'd rather be farther out and risk being wrong, or have the smaller chance I will be right somehow. :)

If my life depended on it, I'd say AOTC makes $440 million, give or take say $20M, and I know I'd be pretty darn close. But I didn't want to make a pansy prediction. I wanted to make a prediction like, "HEY, what if this film opens large (and it is) and has the same staying power as TPM?!" It could happen, and thus my prediction.

JMK
May 18th, 2002, 10:00:32 PM
So you're basically guaranteeing at least $420 million?

JonathanLB
May 18th, 2002, 10:43:51 PM
Sure. No problem.

I'd put money on it clearing $400 million, though.

Dutchy
May 19th, 2002, 02:09:47 AM
As for AOTC being a disappointment, boxoffice-wise. I can see where that's coming from. Like with Spider-Man, its gross exceeded everyone's predictions. With AOTC it basically matches the average predictions. They aren't numbers that blow you away and are totally unexpected. So in that way I think people say it's a disappointed. Note: I myself am not saying that. I agree with Darth23's e-mail.

JonathanLB
May 19th, 2002, 03:01:59 AM
Actually the numbers quite impressed me for Friday, though for Thursday I was underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, I think it did great Thursday, it's just that it wasn't like, "OH MY GOD! MOST AMAZING THING EVER!" hehe. Friday, though, was like, "Whoa, well maybe this films is still on course for my other prediction." So that was nice, I was pretty happy.

I do remember with TPM that most days, I was somewhat disappointed, not because TPM was doing poorly, haha, far from it, only that we were all hoping it could somehow hold up even better and knock a certain boat from the top spot. I was usually most disappointed on Fridays, though, then after Saturday I was like, "Phew, ok it's still doing well." Fridays always sucked, so that's why the $24.6 million was, I still think, very impressive! Ok it didn't blow me away like Spider-Man because, as you said, nobody and I mean nobody expected it to open THAT big. No way did the studio think it had a chance at nearly $40M on its first day.

With Star Wars, the expectations are always way way higher, for everything. The movie. The box office. The toy sales. The audience reactions, etc. If people don't clap after a screening, which for any other movie no matter how great, is rare, then people are like, "Huh? Wow this audience must not have liked it."

You know, I never clapped after The Count of Monte Cristo either and I saw it three times and it's my 2nd favorite of the year, probably on my overall top 50 list without any problems, possibly top 30 or so.

With any SW film, I think it's more like people would be surprised if it failed, but you'd never be able to elicit surprise with the box office figures no matter how high they are. I suppose if AOTC beat Titanic, THEN it would be considered a massive, awesome success and a total surprise, but think about that. If it becomes the 2nd highest grossing movie at, say, $475 million, while that will be really impressive, it wouldn't shock that many people. It would impress us, sure, but it wouldn't be shocking. That's not even that much more than $390M. So with Spider-Man, we all predicted it would make in the $150 million to $250 million range basically, and the fact it's going to make about $370 million to $410 million is literally shocking.

You can't go back now and say, "Well I guess it's not shocking because people wanted to see a super hero and they love Spider-Man and blah blah," no, hehe, hindsight is 20/20 perhaps, but nobody expected that.

I don't think that AOTC will be seen as a box office disappointment at all, though, I think it is going to be a huge hit and people seem to be having a great time so far. I enjoy seeing the audiences into the movie, it's really cool! The last audience, the 10:45 p.m. one, was the least full so far, 75 to 80% or so I'd say, yet they still applauded Yoda several times, actually. They didn't applaud much else. They were kind of a boring audience. You just never know what type of audience you'll get, really, that happened with TPM too. I remember one time, July 3rd I believe it was (Saturday of the weekend of the 4th), Evergreen had just moved TPM to one screen instead of two, yet at the end of the showing, people applauded, and many of them too. That was rather shocking to me, probably the most impressive single thing I've ever seen, more so than the massive lines outside of theaters for a new SW movie, more so than the anticipation and intensity of a midnight showing. To have people applaud on something like the 6th weekend of release, totally normal people, not the die-hard fans, that was truly stunning.

As much bad press as TPM had, few films have been so embraced by audiences.

Dutchy
May 19th, 2002, 03:39:55 AM
With TPM no single number impressed me really. Maybe its $28M opening day, but nothing else. Especially its opening weekend REALLY didn't impress me. That is, they didn't exceed expectations. What DID impress me, though, was its staying power, and that's what's writing boxoffice history, eventually.

JonathanLB
May 19th, 2002, 03:52:57 AM
I agree. No day impressed me either especially, though I was actually impressed that it beat the weekend estimates by $3 million, then I was impressed at the Monday gross, which was a record for any normal Monday.

I was also impressed that the 2nd weekend it held really strong unlike most films. Basically the staying power was what I found impressive, yes. Its speed records I thought were quite good!

$100M, $150M, $200M, $250M, $300M, $350M, that's a lot of records!

I found the overall box office run quite thrilling, but at the same time I felt like TPM was put under pressure to hold strong because of its fairly low opening compared to what we thought it would be.

This time around, I feel like AOTC is not under any particular pressure after the numbers so far because it can show just good staying power, not great staying power, and still do the franchise proud.

Last time around, it was more relief than elation at the TPM numbers each weekend. I hope this time it is a bit more of actual excitement, like if AOTC fell 25% next weekend, I'd be pretty darn impressed.

Dutchy
May 19th, 2002, 11:17:34 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
As far as Spiderman, I think it will make about 35-37 for the weekend which is good a 50% drop but I expected it, it should hold ok over memorial day maybe another 30-35 but after that it will really drop I think.

According to Boxoffice Mojo it made $46M, which is only a 36% drop. That's pretty amazing, especially with AOTC opening as well.

CMJ
May 19th, 2002, 11:41:13 AM
Jonathan...I think you're going overboard on your comments. I love SW, but I don't disrespect somebody if they don't get it. I can tell you for a fact my parents(father especially) would despise AOTC, however he's one of the most intelligent men you'll ever meet. Out of the OT the only he one he even "marginally" enjoyed was the original. I've had discussions with him about the films...and even though we'll never agree, I can say listening to him defend his stand, I cannot say the man is "stupid" or has "no taste".

(I'm not just saying that because he's my Dad...You'd have to meet him, but the guy is seriously smart, never really knew till I got older)

Some people just don't like these kind of films. It's plain and simple.

Dutchy
May 19th, 2002, 11:55:03 AM
Originally posted by CMJ
Some people just don't like these kind of films.

Really? :rolleyes

I have to say though, that out of all kinda movies I don't like, TPM and AOTC are enjoyable nonetheless. Quite enjoyable, actually. The visuals are just stunning.

JonathanLB
May 19th, 2002, 12:46:57 PM
My dad doesn't really like the films either but he does at least find them enjoyable. They are NOT his type of films nor would he go watch them again really (he rarely watches anything over again, actually), but he still appreciated the visuals.

I was not referring to someone's entire self, CMJ, that was really obvious. But again, I will clarify for you. If someone said they don't like the Star Wars films, I don't respect their opinion about MOVIES. If they want to talk politics that's entirely different, or if they'd like to argue the merits of Togos vs. Subway or something, haha. If we're talking movies, though, if they absolutely do not like the SW films they do not have any taste in movies and I'd rather move on to another subject at that point and avoid discussing something that would obviously not be very fruitful.

CMJ
May 19th, 2002, 12:50:08 PM
I know Jonathan...but maybe I didn't make myself clear. He and I DO agree a fair percentage of the time(like perhaps 65%) so I can't really say the man has no taste in movies. :)

Dutchy
May 19th, 2002, 05:23:43 PM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
If someone said they don't like the Star Wars films, I don't respect their opinion about MOVIES. If they want to talk politics that's entirely different, or if they'd like to argue the merits of Togos vs. Subway or something, haha. If we're talking movies, though, if they absolutely do not like the SW films they do not have any taste in movies

Jonathan, what would you say if someone said you don't have any taste in movies because you don't like In the Bedroom, Monster's Ball, Amores Perros, Gosford Park, Amélie and Mulholland Drive?

JonathanLB
May 20th, 2002, 04:55:32 AM
I'd tell them not to read my reviews for independent movies because we obviously won't agree on them. Or in your case, I'd just flat out admit I'm a bad critic for telling you what to see, because your tastes are too different from my own.

Sometimes when I talk to people about movies, though, they begin to become interested in my site because our opinions are so similar. You just have to find critics who you agree with, basically. There is not a "best" critic as such, but there is a best critic for each person. Mike Clark is my favorite critic, but Shawn Levy of The Oregonian is a good one. With Clark, though, I can almost always count on his opinion being fair.