PDA

View Full Version : My Man David P.

CMJ
May 17th, 2002, 06:41:32 PM
Really you guys should read his column. I just post stuff when he writes about SW, but it's ALWAYS great(even if you disagree with the dude). It's at thehotbutton.com for future reference.

Anyways...here's the relevant part of his column today....

The Force is with us.

According to Fox estimates, Star Wars: Episode Two – Attack of the Clones brought in $27 million on Thursday, a figure that includes Wednesday night’s midnight shows. And of course, the first maroon is calling it a disappointment.

I call Brandon Gray a maroon affectionately. He was a regular reader of the column as he developed his taste for box office analysis at USC and even wrote “Box Office Preview” and “Review” for me at roughcut.com when I decided my plate was too full. I took back the gig when I realized that I missed doing the numbers each week. In any case, Brandon is a smart guy and has managed to edge into Gitesh Pandaya’s turf (boxofficeguru.com) by pushing his own site (box officemojo.com) harder than Gitesh and in particular by filling the void that showbizdata.com left when it started charging for daily box office.

But even as Brandon is marking Clones’ opening – a rare Thursday opening, which gives “must see” folks a legitimate choice to wait for the weekend by coming right up onto Friday – as the fourth biggest opening day EVER, he is also calling it a disappointment, comparing it to Spider-Man and The Phantom Menace, which opened on a Wednesday and dropped to under $15 million on Thursday. Maroon!

Brandon is already questioning whether theaters will be burned by Lucas and Fox’s playdate demands… which is absurd. It’s as though everyone all of a sudden realized that there were negotiations for playdates at movie theaters. Pearl Harbor had tougher demands last summer with no movie stars and no track record to suggest that it would be playing to big numbers into weekend six. Spider-Man had six week demands, though to get over 6000 screens playing the film in the first two weekends, and not wanting to force multiplexes into choosing between Spider and Anakin, Sony was more flexible than Fox/Lucas.

(LATE NOTE FROM DP: As of Friday afternoon, Brandon’s critical analysis of the Thursday numbers has disappeared from his site and been replaced by Fox’s final number, $30.1 million, which although only $2 million better than the original estimate, is now a record and therefore, “soaring” and “scorching” and of course, all the worries about exhibitors “suffering” from six week deals are gone as well. While I am pleased to see that Brandon has found some equilibrium on the story – I take no responsibility for that – I am a great fan of taking the heat when you get caught short. Ironically, Matt Drudge was not made to look silly because he didn’t editorialize about the numbers… he just linked to Brandon’s early number story. But this is the time to look at reality vs. perception. $2 million is less than a half a percent of what Clones’ eventual gross will be… did it really make the difference between a positive story and a negative one? Would $2 million more or less for a movie like About A Boy – unless it were the difference between a seven and eight figure gross – matter at all? $13 million? $15 million? You’d never notice. We need to be careful about not emceeing horse races… some people have memories.)

However, the thing to keep in mind about Clones is that Lucas’ demands are part traditional exhibition and part – perhaps primarily – about product quality. It is not bull-DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR- when Lucas says that he cares about the quality of the screens on which his movie plays. As one reader pointed out, traditional projection problems, like aging bulbs, make a difference, but particularly make a difference on a picture like Star Wars, which is so rich and so diverse visually.

The point is, entertainment writers are suddenly throwing around the commitments theaters are making to Star Wars like they are incredibly extravagant. They are not. If Lucas wanted to throw his weight around, he could have made moves to hurt Spider-Man by making theaters choose. He could have had the Star Wars trailer playing in every multi for the last year or two. He could have gotten theaters to build in special pricing for opening weekend. He could have destroyed the rules. The idea that exhibitors are going to be hurt by Clones is just nuts. And I’ll tell you something else. If Clones hit a wall in the second weekend and fell off to, say, $20 million… I bet George would be the first guy to tell Fox to release theaters from their deals and to stop the bleeding… something Disney could have made a lot of friends doing in weekend four of Pearl Harbor last summer. If Clones was to be a mere $200 million movie, not only would Lucas still make a ton of money, but it would be in his interest to protect Episode Three.

Of course, that is not going to happen. Episode Two will have a $105 million four-day (or something like that) and some people will paint that, foolishly, as a disappointment. And when Clones passes Spider-Man somewhere around the $330 million mark, they’ll still be calling it a disappointment. And even if I’m wrong and Spider-Man does $400 million and Clones does $350 million, they will still be fools to be using the word disappointment.

But George Lucas doesn’t need me defending his box office numbers. Part of what I do admire about Lucas is that just keeps rolling along. He and his team make decisions and they move forward. While the barbs and arrows surely hurt, the empire marches on.

And to answer one reader who wrote in yesterday, I do think Clones works on the level it was intended. It is a visual feast. Stuff like Natalie Portman’s constant wardrobe changes are exactly the kind of camp that marked the original and that I wish there was more of in this film. What this series of three is missing in spades is the wildcard. Not only did Lucas have a Han Solo, but he upped the ante in Empire with Lando, another guy who could go either way, good or bad. In these films, we know the fate of the major characters, at least to some degree. There are no “Luke, I am your father” moments. Mace Windu is not double dealing. There isn’t an element in the Jedi counsel that wants Anakin to go to the dark side because they know that it needs to happen in order to create eventual balance in The Force and they are willing to sacrifice the next 30 years in order to have the final outcome of Return of the Jedi happen. And Episode Three is in real danger of becoming little more than housekeeping, which would be a shame. But in the meanwhile, Episode Two has lots of action, lots of interesting new characters, incredible images and Yoda. Compare it not to your Star Wars fantasies and to the rest of what’s out there and it rates pretty well.

Admiral Lebron
May 17th, 2002, 06:46:38 PM
Funny how they bash a film under 30 million eh?

Darth23
May 17th, 2002, 06:50:47 PM
Considerign the fact that only 3 movies have done it, that's very funny indeed.

Buzz Lightyear
May 17th, 2002, 07:04:10 PM
30 million on a Thursday is extraordinary. I doubt Clones will go beyond that any day, but still, 30 million is incredible numbers

Jedi Master Carr
May 17th, 2002, 08:42:35 PM
I think it might do more than 30 on Saturday with all the families probably bringing their kids, that is just what I am thinking, and that Gray is an idiot and a hypocrite too. That is why I respect Lee better, he didn't post it until it was official.

But I disagree with him about housecleaning in EP 3 because there is a lot of things that I am curious about, won't bring it up here but there questions that I have and I want to see how they are answered.

Darth23
May 17th, 2002, 09:18:00 PM
With less hype this time around, it could have a bigger Saturday than its opening day. I guess we'll se on Sunday.

JonathanLB
May 17th, 2002, 09:58:38 PM
Great article, very nice of him to "call the bluff" of this idiot, basically. If it had made $20 million that would still be excellent for a Thursday and would only let us know how many more people were still available to see it in the weekend ;)

Regarding Episode III:
MINOR SPOILER (if you've not seen AOTC)
Well I for one want to know what exactly this Cypher Diaz (sorry I don't know the spelling exactly) was doing when he ordered the creation of a clone army. Was he a good guy just thinking this MUST be done and was he just trying to protect the Republic he loved? Or... was he a traitor to his cause and to the Jedi? There is a lot of stuff we should find out in Episode III. I also want to see how Palpatine establishes the Empire. I think he must surely use the Republic forces to CRUSH the separatists, but then simply never give power back to the senate and, as we know in ANH, he disbands the entire senate. That is my guess, but we'll see.

JMK
May 17th, 2002, 10:15:35 PM
My speculation, and I put this in films already, so you may have read it is that Cypher-Dias, or however it's spelt, is really a mispronounciation of Sidious.

JonathanLB
May 18th, 2002, 01:02:02 AM
Well that could be...

During that particular scene where a certain character mentions his name over the hologram communicator dealie, the two characters who hear him (hehe) kind of look at each other like, "Uh oh..." like they know something we don't and the other character doesn't ;)

Doc Milo
May 18th, 2002, 01:33:34 PM
From what Obi-Wan said to Yoda and Mace over the hologram, I got the impression that whoever ordered the clone army merely used the name of the dead Jedi to do it. (I don't think it's a mispronuciation, JMK, because Obi-Wan knows this Cypherdias (sp?) and knows that he died about 10 years earlier -- which, btw, seems to coincide with the ordering of the clone army, and about the time Dooku left the order, right after Qui-Gon's death...

I think Dooku ordered the clone army using Cypherdias'
name, then erased the information on Kamino from the archive database before officially leaving the Jedi Order and joining the Sith. He then contracted Jango Fett under the name Tyrannus to be the host of the clone army... In my mind, this scenario seems to fit best... but, just specualtion, of course...

JMK
May 18th, 2002, 02:02:33 PM
Patented George Lucas ambiguity. Gotta love it.