PDA

View Full Version : $30,141,417

Quadinaros
May 17th, 2002, 02:28:55 PM
This is the first day number posted by Box Office Mojo and The Numbers.

CMJ
May 17th, 2002, 02:32:34 PM
Man Quad...I posted that figure in the other BO thread. :P

Quadinaros
May 17th, 2002, 02:54:13 PM
Sorry. I thought it would be nice to have a thread with the correct title. O_o

CMJ
May 17th, 2002, 02:58:35 PM
LOL, it's okay...just remember who found the info first. ;)

JonathanLB
May 17th, 2002, 03:06:08 PM
I always thought anything over $30 million would be just fine, and for a Thursday this is still very incredible indeed.

I have a feeling my specific theater was not representative of the whole of the nation because at Evergreen, AOTC blew TPM away badly. All showings were selling out and we had one more screen, so TPM couldn't compete with that. Instead of one sold out midnight screening, we had two this time. However, it appears that nationwide there was not quite the same interest in the opening as for TPM.

Nonetheless, ultimately the quality of the film is most important because what those people say who saw it opening day is going to influence the history of the box office. If people go tell all of their friends how much this movie rocks, there is no telling what type of staying power it can have.

I have friends who didn't have the opportunity to see it Thursday because of college, but have tickets for today, Friday.

Who knows, maybe this time opening day will not be the biggest day of the run. Perhaps Friday is $25 million or so, then Saturday is $34 million, you cannot tell yet.

Whatever happens, though, as long as the film holds on with great staying power it'll do wonderful.

Quadinaros
May 17th, 2002, 03:09:37 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
LOL, it's okay...just remember who found the info first. ;)

:rollin Yes, CMJ found it first!!

Jonathan, I agree. I was also thinking $30 million was the happy number to shoot for. And ultimately, I feel AOTC will beat TPM. Those who were disappointed with TPM will eventually see AOTC and they'll be muy pleased. :D

JonathanLB
May 17th, 2002, 03:23:39 PM
Yes, I have to admit it is quite pleasing to accept those fans really back into our fan base. I am not saying they were exiled, but it's great to have them "back on board," if you will. There was one guy who stayed through the credits at my viewing last night with his friends and he yelled out, towards the end of the credits, "MAN THAT MOVIE F***ING RULED!"

It was so funny, hehe. I am just glad people are loving it.

Oh, guys, this is not whatsoever a spoiler, but watch the first part of the credits, I'd say maybe 45 seconds in or less, could be less, and I swear both of my last viewings I saw a typo that says: "Second Second Assistant...(something)" Maybe I am wrong, maybe it said something else, but I swear I saw "second" twice on there, lol. That would be cool :)

Dutchy
May 17th, 2002, 05:24:59 PM
Yep, $30M sounds more believable than $27M. Actually, I predicted $30M right on the spot. :)

JMK
May 17th, 2002, 05:42:12 PM
I predicted 30.47M for opening day. My best yet! :p

Admiral Lebron
May 17th, 2002, 05:59:53 PM
I think I was high when I put my numbers down.. 39 Mil for opening day and 85 for the 4 day weekend..

BUFFJEDI
May 17th, 2002, 07:00:57 PM
That's it ????? I also think the theater that I have been going to is not on the list :( It as been somewhat packed (somewhat ) for every viewing I was at yesterday .. DO NOT TRUST THE BOX OFFICE COUNTS!!!!!

CMJ
May 17th, 2002, 07:09:56 PM
Not a conspiracy again....man alive...I thought 3167 was the only one we needed to worry about. ;)

BUFFJEDI
May 17th, 2002, 07:22:50 PM
:evil :evil :evil :evil :evil

No I'll NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! be like that guy:mischief
But I really do feel they will cheat EP2 just like they did EP1

Look at what is going on, ALL you here is the PRAISE for Spider-man, Not saying it's an all out bad movie but , It is not Half as good as x-men. I have also read how GREAT the special effects are in spider-man compared to EP 2?????? Now explain that:huh they are out to get Lucas/starwars but I havn't the knowledge nor writting ability to be JEDI3167:D
Nor the desire to get yelled /fussed and all out trashed:angel

Jedi Master Carr
May 17th, 2002, 08:34:32 PM
I think 30 is pretty good really, because there is something to consider Thursday night was just a bad night, you had the Friends final where Rachel had her baby I bet more than half the country was watching that, then you had CSI and ER two other popular shows, all of that kept people home and probably hurt its box office a little for Thursday, still I expect a big weekend, I have a lot of friends who are going to see it either Saturday or Sunday and I am going to see it again myself Saturday, I still think it will have a 120 million opening for 4 days which is really awesome.

JonathanLB
May 17th, 2002, 09:37:00 PM
You would be surprised, some of you, how much ER means to some of the girls!!! LOL.

Liz, who is a "friend" (although... I think about Liz and Star Wars just about as much, if that tells you anything, haha), was crying over the ER episode last week, then I heard some other girl, oh yeah I guess Stephanie told me, that it was "really sad," haha, so they seriously are big into that show. I think TV can hurt theatrical viewings for sure (like the Super Bowl...).

$30M is great for a Thursday. Anything at the box office that has never been done before is great, right? I think so at least, and this day beat every single day of TPM's entire run. TPM never made that much in a day. So I wouldn't exactly be worried; if you remember, TPM is still sitting pretty at #4 :)

Our job as fans is to make sure we don't basically cause the declines. I mean, if you saw it 3 times opening day, or 2 times opening day, and don't go this weekend, you are somewhat responsible for none of the weekend days being as big as Thursday. Or if you go this weekend and never again go to theaters to see AOTC, then obviously the percentage decline is as much your fault as it is "the moviegoing public."

I'll be there every weekend of the entire theatrical run that I can be, although I'll be in Hawaii one weekend and will have to go a week without seeing it (small island, no theaters, private resort... sad). I will make up for that by seeing it like 3 times the day before I leave and a few when I get back, though, so no worries :)

'cept you dang bloodsuckers are going to start gaining on me during that week, I just know it. Talk about unfair! :)

BUFFJEDI
May 17th, 2002, 09:49:24 PM
AHH poor thing has to go to a resort in Hawaii:cry :headbash :cry :headbash :cry :headbash

yes we will crush you viewing's:wings

JonathanLB
May 17th, 2002, 10:01:30 PM
Well don't get me wrong, I guess it'll be fun and all, but I will mostly use the time to write my 3rd book I think. Plus, you can't drink in the U.S. unless you are over 21, see when I go to Mexico it's nice because I can have margaritas at dinner every night. It's not just the alcohol that I like there, because that isn't exactly good tasting stuff, but I'd have margaritas without alcohol if they tasted good that way (and in my experience, they DO NOT).

Gotta love Mexico. :)

Hawaii is cool too, though, but I would much rather have stayed on the main island and I like the Four Seasons a lot, don't see why my parents picked whatever place this is, but whatever.

A week is enough time for you bums to gain a lot on my viewing count, so I'll have to stock up so you can't catch me! :)

Jedi Master Carr
May 17th, 2002, 10:02:15 PM
Actually because of Must See TV I think Thursday is the worst day of the week for the box office, except when there are reruns on then that begins to change, look at Spiderman this past Thursday SW made 10X what it made.

Quadinaros
May 17th, 2002, 11:51:36 PM
We should all just be grateful that it made slightly more money than TPM did on its opening day. TPM was, after all, the most anticipated movie in history.

I think the real story will be how well it does over Memorial Day weekend. This is when the more casual moviegoers, the ones who avoid the opening weekend crowds, will come to see it.

I have a good feeling about this. o_O

JonathanLB
May 18th, 2002, 12:39:54 AM
"I think the real story will be how well it does over Memorial Day weekend."

That is my feeling. I hardly care about the opening weekend, more only out of curiosity, but I really care about the second weekend because it needs to hold up well. That is the key.

If it makes like $85M this weekend and can hold onto $70M of that Memorial Day weekend (excluding Monday...), that would rock so hard.

Champion of the Force
May 18th, 2002, 02:05:06 AM
Oh, guys, this is not whatsoever a spoiler, but watch the first part of the credits, I'd say maybe 45 seconds in or less, could be less, and I swear both of my last viewings I saw a typo that says: "Second Second Assistant...(something)" Maybe I am wrong, maybe it said something else, but I swear I saw "second" twice on there.
You weren't mistaken. That's what the position is called, and the 'second second' title is also given to many other positions as well instead of 'third'.

The reason being is because 'third' was often inadvertently pronounced as 'turd' (eg. the third director - the 'turd' director) so 'second second' was adopted so it wouldn't be construed that way. Weird eh? :rollin

How do I know this? The Answer Man at Ebert's website answered an almost identical question (the questioner was making reference to the 'second second director' seen in the credits of some film) and I read it there. :)

Darth23
May 18th, 2002, 02:24:21 AM
They talked to the second second (I think) in one of the TPM dvd documentaries.

It might have been a Making Of Ep. 2 documentary