PDA

View Full Version : OT similarities noted... (masked spoilers)

Doc Milo
May 16th, 2002, 09:26:55 PM
I'm going to spoiler-text the entire message, even though I'll be doing some TPM comparison in the beginning. But if you know what I'm talking about with TPM, you might, if you haven't seen AotC be able to figure out what happens in AotC from the parallels... So...

The ending of TPM is very similar to the ending of ANH, with the end of war presentation ceremonies. Padme dressed like Leia. The entire cast pretty much up on the "stage" fade to black...

The end of ESB has Luke and Leia staring out over a sea of stars overlooking a distant galaxy, with Artoo and Threepio next to them. AotC ends with Anakin and Padme looking out over the lake with Artoo and Threepio next to them...

Just something I noticed. I know there are other similarities but I just wanted to poin these out.

HunterJodoKast
May 16th, 2002, 09:37:15 PM
WOW! You're right, Milo! Never noticed that... sharp eyes. Now with EP.III and EP. VI are actually going to be flips sides of the coin though. But perhaps there will still remain symbolic parallelism between them.

Champion of the Force
May 17th, 2002, 02:52:13 AM
Maybe with Ep. III they'll have Anakin/Vader and Palpatine having a party to celebrate the new Empire. :)

Jedieb
May 17th, 2002, 09:08:29 AM
That's pretty good Doc. But how are they going to match ROTJ and EP3? Just about everybody's dead at the end of EP3. Hey, we had 3 dead Jedi's at the end of ROTJ, maybe we'll have some Jedi spirits at the end of EP3?

Jedi Master Carr
May 17th, 2002, 11:04:35 AM
Well, maybe Qui-Gon and Mace and some other Jedi will be comforting Obi-Wan in spirt form

Doc Milo
May 17th, 2002, 12:26:21 PM
I didn't think that far, Jedieb. I don't know how it will be done. Another similarity:

In ANH, Obi-Wan dies in front of his apprentice, Luke. In TPM Qui-Gon dies in front of his apprentice Obi-Wan. Both die as a result of lightsaber duels.

In ESB, there is a lightsaber duel in which relationships are revealed -- but no one dies as a result of the lightsaber duel. Luke gets his hand chopped off. In AotC, there is a lightsaber duel where relationships are revealed (Yoda was Dooku's master!) and no one dies as a result of the duel. Anakin gets his arm chopped off.

Repeating motiffs, I believe Lucas called it....

Jedieb
May 17th, 2002, 12:56:58 PM
The ROTJ Rancor, and the Acklay and the other beasts in the Deonosian battle. I remember that motif statement. Lucas compared it to a composer repeating a series of notes.

NeuroMortis
May 17th, 2002, 01:00:59 PM
Heh.

As I mentioned in the other thread,

Every film uses the term 'I got a bad feeling about this.'

Small, but brings a grin. :D

JMK
May 17th, 2002, 04:23:38 PM
In the next film, who ever says is will be dead on! ;)

I noticed that too Doc. One way they could relate Episode 3 to the end of Jedi is to have the fallen Jedi appear to Obi Wan as he delivers Luke to Owen and Beru. Luke would be there, as he is in ROTJ.

ReaperFett
May 17th, 2002, 08:08:53 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, the MOST IMPORTANT similarity!

Someone banged their head

Thankyou :)

Figrin D'an
May 17th, 2002, 08:41:53 PM
Yes!

Fett, I know... when I saw that, I just about burst out laughing... that was waaaaaay to funny, especially considering that we now know the origins of the Stormtroopers. Looks like they picked up that little flaw in their genetic code from Jango... :lol

ReaperFett
May 17th, 2002, 08:48:03 PM
makes you wonder if it WAS a blooper or not:)

JMK
May 17th, 2002, 09:44:20 PM
I think it was definetly done on purpose, as a joke of course, but a funny one from Lucas.

Nupraptor
May 18th, 2002, 01:29:34 PM
One similarity I noticed: When Anakin flew across the room to block Dooku's fatal strike towards Obi Wan, it was very reminiscent of the scene in ROTJ, where Vader blocks Luke's sabre when he attacks Palpatine.

ReaperFett
May 18th, 2002, 05:25:24 PM
Oh, and there is a Shaft in every movie ;)

Jedi Master Leia Solo
May 18th, 2002, 08:17:21 PM
Did anyone notice the cantina similarity ;) :lol Obi chops off a villian's character arm to protect Anakin, sends hims flying out of the way...just like Obi protected Luke and pushed him out of the way..chopping another villian's character's arm off. ;)

What is it with Obi cutting people's arms off ;) LOL!!!

Jedieb
May 18th, 2002, 08:21:48 PM
ESB
Artoo drags a dismantled 3PO across the floor. Then he reassembles him.
AOTC
Artoo drags a dismantled 3PO across the floor. Then he reassembles him.

JMK
May 18th, 2002, 08:26:05 PM
R2 bumps 3P0 off of Jabba's barge in ROTJ.
R2 bumps 3P0 onto the conveyor belt.

Jedi Master Carr
May 18th, 2002, 08:32:05 PM
Here is one, Vader's quote, "There will be no one to stop this time."
Dooku's quote, "You won't stop me this time." (or something like that I am not sure if I got the right wording like but it sounded very similar).

darth_mcbain
May 20th, 2002, 09:05:11 AM
How about when Dooku is tempting Obi-Wan to join him - sounded very familiar to Vader tempting Luke in ESB.

AOTC: ... Join me, Obi-Wan, and together we can destroy the Sith.

ESB: Join me, and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son.

Also, I thought there was a lot of similarity when Anakin is outside the Lars home after retrieving his mother. Very similar to Luke standing outside the same home after Owen and Beru were killed.

JediBoricua
May 20th, 2002, 11:38:41 AM
And when Obi hides behind an asteroid, it resembles Han hooking himself to a SD and then floating away with the garbage.

JMK
May 20th, 2002, 03:04:16 PM
Sidious tells his apprentice that he's done well.

darth_mcbain
May 22nd, 2002, 10:01:17 AM
When Padme's ship blows up in the beginning, one of the guards screams' uses a sound effect that is in all of the other Star Wars movies. I forget what the sound effect is called, but it is in all of the SW movies up until now.

JMK
May 22nd, 2002, 11:15:52 AM
I think it's called the Wilhelm Scream

On a much larger scale, we can really see how the designs of certain things look alot like what we see in the OT. Example Star Destroyers and the Jedi Starfighter, which IMO reminds me ALOT of the rebellion's A-Wing fighter, except the color scheme is reversed; the jedi ship has a white line with a maroon strip on each side whereas the A-Wing has a maroon stripe with white on each side

darth_mcbain
May 22nd, 2002, 12:30:26 PM
You're right JMK. BTW, I found this link for a pretty funny montage of movies where that can be heard - it is pretty slow and took a while to download, but it was good for a laugh... http://starwars-rpg.net/swfa/issue3/wilhelm_27mb.mov

Doc Milo
May 22nd, 2002, 12:33:35 PM
Wow, that is slow! 15 minutes with a cable modem!

darth_mcbain
May 22nd, 2002, 12:42:43 PM
Yeah, took me the better part of the morning to download it myself... :(