PDA

View Full Version : The secret weapon (spoilers)

Darth Viscera
May 16th, 2002, 05:57:08 PM
So it takes at least 18 years to design and construct the Death Star? Why on earth would it be occuring on Geonosis anyhow? The planet seems relatively primitive, with the exception of the droid foundries.

ReaperFett
May 16th, 2002, 06:03:45 PM
I think they just designed it

I wish we hadn't seen it. I'd have liked to have heard them speak of it, but not get the schematics. That way, we may be suprised when we see what was happening

CMJ
May 16th, 2002, 06:04:25 PM
I found the reference VERY cool.

Jedi Master Carr
May 16th, 2002, 06:09:26 PM
I found it cool too, as for as why Genosis I think one of the other groups could have designed as well, like the coroproate guild (I think that was their name the one in a robot suit) There is an EU explanation that might help bring it together that was explained in Rogue Planet but I won't bring it up here.

BUFFJEDI
May 16th, 2002, 06:11:27 PM
Very cool, that as well gave me Goose bumps!!

Jedieb
May 16th, 2002, 08:14:43 PM
I thought it was AWESOME! People in my audience actually gasped when they saw the Death Star hologram. I think it was a nice way of creating yet another link between the prequels and the OT. I expect we'll see more of the Death Star's origins in EP3. I don't think Lucas would have brought it up unless he was going to refer to it again in EP3.

Jedi Master Carr
May 16th, 2002, 08:39:30 PM
maybe that means Tarkin will show up in 3 at least I would like to see him maybe he will be in charge of the Death Star project and have a small cameo

Admiral Lebron
May 16th, 2002, 08:40:07 PM
I personally think that Palpatines plan was to build it before the clone war or at least get it under way so he could unveil it during it and wipe out the Jedi. I also think that it was still in its early stages when seen.

JMK
May 16th, 2002, 10:22:25 PM
As soon as they said "Ultimate weapon", I thought DEATH STAR! Then I saw the hologram and was totally thrilled!

ReaperFett
May 17th, 2002, 09:32:55 AM
It still fell into the trailer trap for me though. Too much shown

Oh, and I think McCallum said there isnt a Tarkin in EP3

Master Yoghurt
May 17th, 2002, 10:53:59 AM
Well, the audience was cheering and applauding when the hologram of the Death Star appeared. Personally, I thought it was a very nice touch.

ReaperFett
May 17th, 2002, 12:10:12 PM
It's a nice touch to show us everything and leave nothing to suprise?

Master Yoghurt
May 17th, 2002, 12:33:12 PM
It gives the viewer something to look forward to. And it ties episode II closer to episode III. As the timeline moves forward, it is only natural there will be an incrasing number of similarities to ANH. I think there will be plenty of room for surprises in episode III. IMO, referring to the Death Star by speaking of it would not have the same effect as seeing it. The visual impact was quick and effective, and it got people excited. Can not see what is wrong with that.

Garrett Blade
May 17th, 2002, 12:34:09 PM
Who's to say we've been shown everything?

As for Tarkin's appearance, it would be interesting. ESPECIALLY if he were played by Peter Cushing! Imagine that - after God knows how many years, Peter Cushing starring opposite Christopher Lee playing someone with the title "Count". Maybe that'll be Dooku's downfall - Tarkin'll stake him! LOL! :)

Doc Milo
May 17th, 2002, 12:37:06 PM
Um, isn't Peter Cushing dead?

ReaperFett
May 17th, 2002, 12:41:19 PM
Technicalities! :)

ReaperFett
May 17th, 2002, 12:54:58 PM
And Yog, I will tell you what is wrong with it :)

As a kid, I LOVED Boba Fett. And I knew very well he had a rocket launcher and flamethrower. And had I gone into the cinema, and seen Jango fire that rocket, I would have LITERALLY squealed with glea. A similar but lesser result with the flamethrower. But I didn't. Because the stupid Jango TV spot showed it. The effect was lost. The thing I had waited 15 years for was not something of greatness, but just another thing.

And the same here. Had they spoke of it, and we thought nothing of it, we'd be suprised when it appears in EP3, and we go "MY GOD, IT'S THE DEATH STAR!". Now? It'll just be "Oh look, there it is". Different effect.

Darth Viscera
May 17th, 2002, 01:38:02 PM
Well I think that the viewers desperately needed an icon like that to get excited about, especially after TPM.

ReaperFett
May 17th, 2002, 01:41:24 PM
There were plenty of things to get excited about. The Trailers didnt show it, and they were good. It was just the TV spot

Darth Viscera
May 17th, 2002, 02:23:34 PM
here (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/darthviscera/orb1.jpg) is another thing to ponder about, from my Art of AOTC book.

ReaperFett
May 17th, 2002, 02:45:01 PM
lol :)

JMK
May 17th, 2002, 04:37:37 PM
I think that it's pretty cool that it's there. We think to ourselves that they can't possibly build something like that, but there it will be in ANH.

Live Wire
May 17th, 2002, 04:53:44 PM
well I for one loved getting to see ithe death star plans. I gasped when it first flashed on screen and I think half the audience missed it and when it showed up the second time everyone got it and was OMG!!!!!

ReaperFett
May 17th, 2002, 04:56:04 PM
But the effect is gone now. A much greater effect is missed

Admiral Lebron
May 17th, 2002, 06:20:55 PM
Possibly. Just think, in the next one I'm sure we'll all gasp when we watch a Star Destroyer(or something from the OT) blow something up. :)

ReaperFett
May 17th, 2002, 06:26:03 PM
No doubt they'll dump it in the trailer to numb the effect though :)

Admiral Lebron
May 17th, 2002, 06:52:21 PM
If they didn't, it would break their spoiling streak. Wouldn't want that, now would we?

Alec Lafeyette
May 18th, 2002, 06:30:28 AM
I personally think that they didnt intend for it to be so immense once it was complete, because I dont see it possible for a few organizations putting together enough to create something the size of a moon. Palpatine might've had Tarkin improve the plans and with his power increasing, made it more powerful.