PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Line (masked spoilers)

Doc Milo
May 16th, 2002, 03:26:33 PM
After my first viewing, I have a favorite line. I don't know if it will remain so after subsequent viewings, but this is it. Does anyone else have a line their fond of?

Mine is: Obi-Wan (to Anakin) : "Why do I get the feeling you're going to be the death of me."

Jedi Master Carr
May 16th, 2002, 03:32:34 PM
Mine is by Mace , "This party is over."

ReaperFett
May 16th, 2002, 04:00:36 PM
Doc's, and I don't think so

darth_mcbain
May 16th, 2002, 04:37:56 PM
Hmmm, tough one - there are a lot of good ones...

I liked Obi-Wan saying "What!?" when Anakin challeged his authority in Padme's presence although, that doesn't really qualify as a full quote.

Another line I liked, but like the above doesn't really qualify as a full quote is when Padme says "Anakin" right before hugging him outside the Lars home (seen in shadow) I just found that part very powerful.

I'll get the exact wording wrong here, but I love that line where Dooku says "I have skills greater than any Jedi, even you." to Yoda, and Yoda coolly replies "You still have much to learn"

Garrett Blade
May 17th, 2002, 01:18:42 AM
I love every single word spoken by Yoda. So it's too hard to decide my favourite line. But Other than his lines, my favourite is "I don't think so!" by both Obi-Wan and Mace Windu.

Okay. I've decided! My favourite line is Yoda: "Well done Commander. Bring me a ship." You can tell by that line that he's got business to attend to! :)

ReaperFett
May 17th, 2002, 09:27:33 AM
He might be Crusing for women! Jedi aren't celebate, and the guy wants to celebrate :)

Dasquian Belargic
May 17th, 2002, 10:36:24 AM
Mine would be the one Doc suggested :D

Master Yoghurt
May 17th, 2002, 10:48:24 AM
Just about everything Yoda says becomes a favorite line for me. Hard to chose one. :)

NeuroMortis
May 17th, 2002, 12:56:24 PM
Obi Wan, chained to the post, blithely responding to Anakin's assertion they'd come to rescue him: "Good Job."

Of course, there's the obligatory line they've included in every one of the films...

"I've got a bad feeling about this..."

Nathaniel Nore
May 18th, 2002, 05:28:47 PM
I'm not sure if this is the exact line, but :

"There dead....all of them. I killed them. And not just the men either,...but the women and children too! They're animals! And I slaughtered them like animals! I HATE THEM! "

oooooo that part was sooo good. but damn, george cut away from the tuskan scene WAY too quick. that scene was so important, it should have been more dramatic and longer, but still Anakin's reaction afterwords gives me chills of ....VADER.

Jinn Fizz
May 18th, 2002, 05:36:31 PM
I have to say I get quite a giggle out of Obi-Wan's "Not good" when he realizes that Jango is sliding over the edge of the roof. :lol

JMK
May 18th, 2002, 05:53:23 PM
I agree with Nathaniel's, and here's mine "You go and find her." "Where are you going?"

"To get a drink".

That was great!

Jedieb
May 18th, 2002, 08:17:58 PM
I don't think I have ONE favorite line. There's a bunch that I LOVE. But here's one that made me laugh out loud each time I saw it;
"I'm programmed for etiquette, not destruction!

NeuroMortis
May 19th, 2002, 12:30:45 AM
"You want to go home and rethink your life."

"I'm gonna go home and rethink my life."

Shawn
May 19th, 2002, 12:34:14 AM
You know, I think that AOTC proves you can have some humor in the movie without resorting to the slapstick antics of TPM. Threepio and Artoo make for a great comedic pair.

ReaperFett
May 19th, 2002, 05:16:32 AM
There was slapstick in this :)

Shawn
May 19th, 2002, 10:16:47 AM
Nothing as absurd as Jar Jar hopping around with a droid attached to his leg that is shooting everyone. :p

ReaperFett
May 19th, 2002, 12:13:25 PM
"DIE YOU JEDI SCUM!" :)

Morgan Evanar
May 19th, 2002, 06:33:57 PM
I honestly thought that half of 3PO's puns were rather lame. I really could have lived without them. Now his commentary that wasn't pun based, that was good.

JMK
May 19th, 2002, 07:40:03 PM
I'm glad that the poo poo and kaka jokes were cut out.

Doc Milo
May 20th, 2002, 12:03:33 AM
I've stated it before about TPM and I'll state it again. The slapstick humor is part of a humor motiff that is running throughout the six-film saga. It mirrors the state of the galaxy. In TPM, there was darkness on the horizon, but the galaxy is in a state of peace, generally speaking, except for an isolated conflict. The humor reflects that innocence. It is slapstick and child-like.

In AotC, we have some slapstick humor, but is not as child-like slapstick, and we also have some of the cynical humor that is prevalent throughout the OT. This is reflecting the innocence of the galaxy having eroded away, that conflict is no longer isolate, but a very real danger to life as it has always been in the galaxy.

EP3, the humor should grow even less slapstick, and more cynical, as the darktimes fully take control. This is not to say that some slapstick won't exist -- as long as hope exists, as long as the memory of that innocence exists, there will be some slapstick, but the majority will be cynical little one-liners closer to the humor of the OT, especially ANH and ESB. Those two episodes have the most cynical humor, the slapstick is even more dark comedy tone of slapstick (like Threepio's head on backwards, etc....) Then we get RotJ, and the return of a more innocent slapstick and a more child-like tone to some of the humor, especially seen with the ewoks.

It is all done purposefully, as a humor motiff or metaphor.

NeuroMortis
May 20th, 2002, 10:39:10 AM
CHEWIE:

GROOONK!

HAN SOLO:

Boba Fett? BOBA FETT?!? WHERE!?!?

Han spins, stumbles, accidentally backs into Boba Fett, whose jetpack inadvertently propels him into the side fo the SKIFF BARGE.

BOBA FETT:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIGH!!!!

The impact stuns him, sends him caroming off the side, into the sand, and down into the SAARLAC PIT.

The Saarlac, mirroring the state of the galaxy in a poignant metaphoric display of irony and childlike humor swallows him up with a

SAARLAC:

BURP!!!

----------------------

Motif shmotif, some choices were simply insipid. Of course there was an underlying current of the tongue-in-cheek--heck, look at Chewbacca--but this is largely directorial, not simply 'because it's supposed to be that way.'

Irvin Kershner and Richard Marquand have decidedly different directing styles, hence the marked difference between ESB and ROTJ. And did you ever see David Lynch's conceptual ideas for ROTJ, which he was originally up for directing? The Ewoks would've been out, replaced by horrible looking little creatures that the audience would first abhor, then wind up actually caring about instead of the plush-toy instant 'ohhh, they're so cuddly--but WATCH OUT, THEY COULD BE DEADLY!'

But this would affect marketability.

God forbid.

So instead, we have 'Yub Yub!' and teddy bears hanging off speederbikes and, later on, because it sold so well, Jar Jar's rastafarian tongue antics to keep the chuckles coming--

Whereas, in ANH, this was all character driven, expressed through dialogue and relationships. The Jawas were the closest thing to an overt and purposefil 'gimmick' in the first movie and we saw their lifeless bodies tossed on a burn pile.

The second movie we found Yoda, and our smirks quickly turned to awe.

But in ROTJ, when the prelim concept sketches turned wookies into Ewoks, the 'kick me' sign got stuck on the Lucasfilm back.

Sure, they changed it because it would seem simple for wookies to lay the smackdown on a bunch of stormtroopers--but Ewoks...so much for character driven humor. And so much for integrity to the given circumstances. They weren't even underdogs--ONE ewok dies and the entire audience cries 'awwwww' when in reality we should have seen scores of them dropping before their ultimate victory.

But that's just my opinion.

Yes, there's humor. And then there's 'Look how funny I am! Look! Laugh at me! I'm funny! Aren't I funny? I sure am!'

It gets old. And quickly.

Quadinaros
May 21st, 2002, 07:55:35 AM
My favorite line is in my signature. >D