PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Lucas

Master Yoghurt
May 16th, 2002, 08:14:30 AM
After frowning a bit about Washington Post's AOTC review, I read an interesting article where GL speaks out openly about the movie business and the media:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23143-2002May15.html

Some interesting bits. First about the media:

"I don't think anyone likes the media, to be honest with you," he responds during an hour-long conversation later in the day, in which he declares himself disliked by Hollywood, mistreated by the press and maligned even by "Star Wars" fans. "I like to make movies. I don't like to talk about it. It takes time, energy, and I'm not sure it's necessary to sell the movie. Half of it comes out in a derogatory way anyway. . . . You say, 'Why bother?' ultimately."

About Indiana Jones and Paramount:

Well, it bothers him a little. Incredible as it may seem, Lucas says he has trouble closing deals in Hollywood because of this mistrust. "The reason I haven't made 'Indiana Jones 4' is not because of Steve [Spielberg], Harrison [Ford] and I. It's not up to me. It's up to Paramount.

Lucas, who co-wrote or executive-produced all three Indiana Jones films directed by Spielberg, says he has been negotiating for two years to produce the next one.

So what's the problem? "It's not a money thing, it's a control thing," he says, adding that Paramount "can't cope with not having control. We want to make the movie because we want to make the movie. I don't know their motivation."

more about the studios..

But Lucas finds the whole Hollywood system dysfunctional, and he slams the studios without hesitation. Twentieth Century Fox is distributing "Clones," as it did all the earlier "Star Wars" films, because "I have a tendency to be loyal. And there isn't much else out there. Warner Brothers doesn't treat its people that well.

"It used to be producers made the movies. . . . Now it's 'We need to be involved.' [Studio executives have] relegated the producer to being someone's agent; the director is a hired hand. That isn't the way movies should be made, in my opinion."

"I don't hate Hollywood," he says. "I don't like the corporate system of making movies. I don't like a lot of executives making creative decisions.

There are also some bits where he defends Jar-Jar and speaks out about LA Times. Go check it out.

I have to agree with a lot of what he says. One thing is for sure, George does not pull his punches. :)