PDA

View Full Version : Quick, rank AOTC!!!

Jedieb
May 16th, 2002, 01:50:22 AM
Of course it means nothing, of course it's purely subjective, but you know you WANT to do it!:evil
1. ESB
2. ANH/AOTC
4. ROTJ
5. TPM

I honestly can't break the tie for second... I CAN'T!!:crack

jjwr
May 16th, 2002, 01:51:32 AM
It may take a few more viewings to confirm this but I'll go out on a limb.

1. AOTC
2. ANH
3. ESB
4. ROTJ
5. TPM

BUFFJEDI
May 16th, 2002, 02:01:12 AM
AOTC
TPM
ROTJ
ESB
ANH

Champion of the Force
May 16th, 2002, 03:57:37 AM
ESB
ANH/AOTC
ROTJ
TPM

I'll have to watch AOTC a few more times to fully get an idea of where it sits.

JonathanLB
May 16th, 2002, 05:15:20 AM
I would like to see it a few more times before I just go declaring anything, but it was my favorite so far I believe.

I'd have to let them settle in, though, I personally don't think my rankings mean anything until about one decade from now when the entire hype of all the releases and everything has worn off and all that remains is SIX movies for me to rank ;) Then, I will do so, and maybe TPM will place last because it is the introductory part, or maybe it will be 3rd, or maybe 1st, or 2nd, or I don't know. It's just not possible to tell now.

As for AOTC, I loved it but man, I was so blown away by the film that I cannot even comment because, well, I'm tired for one and second, I think you cannot make many intelligent comments without seeing it several times. At least for me, I feel like I must rewatch it at least several more times before I even bother saying much.

I like these rankings, lol, you guys obviously loved it! I am totally stoked you guys obviously really enjoyed this film, it makes it such a great community experience for us! :)

Many more happy viewings to us all!

imported_Dara Shadowtide
May 16th, 2002, 08:03:46 AM
1. ESB
2. ANH
3. AOTC
4. TPM
5. ROTJ

ReaperFett
May 16th, 2002, 08:22:01 AM
I don't rank SW films generally. I don't feel you can with a film built for a trilogy. I would say though that this is as good as ESB. It improves TPM, and TPM improves EP2

COMMENTS, no spoilers:

3P0 was hilarious. If you've seen the film, you know what I am talking about :)

If you were one who wanted NSYNC cut, *SMACK!* When you see the relevent scene, you wouldn't want ANYTHING cut.

Acting was generally top notch, McGregor, Lee and McDiarmond especially. Portman was good also. Christiensen though.......he was AWFUL the first half, then suddenly seemed to wake up.

I'm glad I didn't hear the soundtrack first. You don't expect the music twists. Nice to see my favourite track ever make a reappearence too :)

"I Dont think so". WHAT a scene :)

VERY humourfull. McGregor mainly, but even Yoda has a few good lines.

One moment of accidental humour though. Few people laughed at something that happened before one of the greatest cinematic moments ever.

This showed why Jar Jar was built well in TPM.

Javva the Hutt returns :)

darth_mcbain
May 16th, 2002, 08:35:16 AM
Originally posted by Jedieb
1. ESB
2. ANH/AOTC
4. ROTJ
5. TPM

That is my ordering exactly, but it is so difficult to rank these - they are all just parts of the same story.

Master Yoghurt
May 16th, 2002, 01:04:19 PM
AOTC
ESB
ANH
ROTJ
TPM

No doubt about my ranking. AOTC rocked the socks off everything made so far.

Rama
May 16th, 2002, 01:22:07 PM
ESB
AOTC
ROTJ
ANH
TPM

Nathaniel Nore
May 16th, 2002, 01:33:12 PM
ROTJ
ESB
ANH
TPM/AOTC - tied for last, cant really decide which should get that honor

Garrett Blade
May 16th, 2002, 02:01:32 PM
Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
AOTC
ESB
ANH
ROTJ
TPM

No doubt about my ranking. AOTC rocked the socks off everything made so far.

I simply must agree with Yog on this one. As for overall, AOTC has replaced Lord Of The Rings as my all-time favourite movie.

Beldarine
May 16th, 2002, 02:28:20 PM
1.ESB
2. AOTC
3. ANH
4. ROJ
5. TPM

To be totally honest with you, AOTC was amazing.. but I still grew up with watching the original trilogy, so it holds a special place in my heart :). So I have to put my FAVORITE SW Movie first, then closely followed by AOTC..

I will say one thing. (some spoilers).. When Yoda picks up a lightsaber, the duel that ensues drubs EVERY OTHER lightsaber battle.. yes.. even the one between Luke/Vader in ESB.

I got a little misty eyed, I do have to admit :)..

NeuroMortis
May 16th, 2002, 02:29:57 PM
ESB
ANH
AOTC/ROTJ
TPM

When Yoda picks up a lightsaber, the duel that ensues drubs EVERY OTHER lightsaber battle.

...a computer generated duel is ranked higher than the actual choreographed scene between Ray Parks/Ewan McGregor/Liam Neeson???

Beldarine
May 16th, 2002, 02:37:48 PM
I hate to say it, Neuro..

But besides Yoda's duel.. The Luke/Vader fight in ESB clunked the Maul/Jinn/Kenobi duel.

I wasn't a big fan of it at all..

ReaperFett
May 16th, 2002, 03:13:45 PM
My favourite duel is Obi and Jango. SOmething about it was more fun to me

HunterJodoKast
May 16th, 2002, 09:30:26 PM
1. ESB
2. ANH/AOTC (ANH's storyline ties with the ATOC's great action and effects.)
3. ROTJ
4. TPM (very subpar to Lucas' four other efforts)

CMJ
May 16th, 2002, 09:34:22 PM
1. ESB
2. ANH
AOTC(tie)
4. ROTJ
5. TPM

JonathanLB
May 16th, 2002, 09:54:54 PM
Ok, I am game now. After watching it again at 4:20, I think I understand the film well enough to comment and I'm not so tired.

So....

TPM
ESB
ROTJ
ANH
The Matrix
AOTC

Haha, just kidding ;)

AOTC
TPM
ESB
ROTJ
ANH

I think people will appreciate the genius of TPM more after the whole saga is done, but hopefully they are at least beginning to understand now. It's a wonderful introduction. I like the feel of the movie the most because in actual importance I'd have to rank it last, but in sheer quality of filmmaking and enjoyment for me, that's where it is 2nd right there. AOTC significantly outdoes TPM in my book for favorite film, but I didn't think that upon first viewing. Actually I loved my first viewing but I was too tired, and the second time I was literally blown away. Much more so than before. I love this movie!!!

I am happy to see you all are enjoying it apparently too.

JMK
May 16th, 2002, 10:34:20 PM
ESB
ANH / AOTC
TPM
ROTJ

But oddly enough, AotC makes me appreciate TPM much more than I had before.

NeuroMortis
May 16th, 2002, 11:22:55 PM
Probably because you realize that JarJar was only the principle foil in one movie,and now you can breathe deep of the soothing balm of satisfaction that that time has passed...

Live Wire
May 17th, 2002, 02:00:47 AM
I dont know anymore!!!!! Im so confused. I know TPM is last on the list. RotJ always was my favorite.....I just dont know anymore and ESB and ANH are tied for third.

Champion of the Force
May 17th, 2002, 02:57:27 AM
The Luke/Vader fight in ESB clunked the Maul/Jinn/Kenobi duel.
I totally agree. It stands as my favourite out of all the lightsaber battles seen thus far.

Vader lunging out of the darkness at Luke remains one of my favourite scenes in a SW film. :)

JonathanLB
May 17th, 2002, 03:12:15 AM
That saber duel is utterly meaningless compared to the one in ROTJ. It's very silly to me for anyone to suggest that the ESB duel is as important or as good as the ROTJ one, the final battle between father and son in the most influential and important sequence in all of the Star Wars Saga.

ESB's saber duel is neither the most technically impressive nor the most important. It's still awesome and classic, we all love it, but TPM and AOTC own the OT for saber duels (as they should -- this is the heydey of the Jedi) and in the actual importance of any given battle so far, ROTJ's is still tops. You can't beat the choir music and the climactic final duel, the wonderful cinematography, the tension, it's all great.

When TPM came out, most people ranked it 2nd in their list of SW films, even according to TFN's polls, so I hope nobody is changing their rankings because of the media or whatever. I also hope they don't go changing AOTC's ranking, like I can just see it, there is an AOTC backlash and when Episode III comes out you all got AOTC stuck at dead last ;) lol, j/k

CMJ
May 17th, 2002, 08:42:22 AM
Utterly meaningless?? Surely you jest. The duel in ESB still has yet to be beaten...though the Dooku/Anakin was close for me.

Jedieb
May 17th, 2002, 09:01:05 AM
"Utterly meaningless?" OMG that's hilarious. Yeah, a duel that ends with the most shocking revalation in all of the OT is meaningless. I smell ESB envy, don't you? ;)

Probably because you realize that JarJar was only the principle foil in one movie,and now you can breathe deep of the soothing balm of satisfaction that that time has passed...
:lol

I found Best's performance more subdued and tolerable in AOTC. Even when he was on screen he didn't bug me as much as he did in TPM.

I'd rank the duels in this order;
ESB
AOTC
ROTJ Final Duel
TPM Final Duel
ANH
Qui-Gon Maul desert duel is last.

JMK
May 17th, 2002, 04:14:02 PM
That really was a crazt statement! Meesa thinks yousa need to sleepy Jon!

My duels would be
ESB
ROTJ
AOTC / TPM
ANH

NeuroMortis
May 17th, 2002, 04:32:41 PM
The following is strictly opinion.

Yes, ESB was the greatest insofar as the mounting tension and revelation of salient plot device--we're looking at the whole scene, dialogue and all, as well as the pauses building dynamic suspense between points of contact. It is also the longest battle of them all.

The sheer emotional content of the battle in ROTJ places it in its own category as well--it had neither the length nor suspense of ESB (we'd already seen the two go at it, so the novelty was diminished) but for what it lacked in originality it made up for in resolve: All stops pulled out, stakes at their highest, life or death.

I submit that the actual choreography, however, is best represented by the 2-on-1 between Ray, Ewan and Liam. The intricacy of the sabre dance as a martial form surpassed the broken-flow Kendo pieces in the preceding two--also, the absence of banter and conversation between rivals allowed for more of a focus on the pure physicality of it.

That's just my .02.

Problem was, they showed Obi Wan in the preview screaming 'Nooooo!' in the same way Luke did when Obi Wan bites it in ANH, so I knew Qui Gon was gonna lose, which really made me angry that they chose to blow that surprise with a bad preview cut...they'll never learn.

ReaperFett
May 17th, 2002, 04:57:43 PM
I totally agree with your italics :)

Jedieb
May 23rd, 2002, 06:53:31 AM
Compuserve is running your typical "What's your favorite SW movie" poll. Here are the early results.

My favorite Star Wars movie so far is...
Episode IV: A New Hope. 38%
Episode II: Attack of the Clones. 28%
Episode V: Empire Strikes Back. 14%
Episode I: Phantom Menace. 11%
Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. 9%

I think that's a very good showing for AOTC. It shows that people who've seen it enjoyed it a great deal. It'll cool off a year or two from now, but it's a strong showing nevertheless.

Jinn Fizz
May 23rd, 2002, 07:21:08 AM
Movie rankings:

ESB
AOTC
ANH
TPM
ROTJ

Duel rankings:

ESB
AOTC
ROTJ
TPM
ANH

Gabran Darkysa
May 23rd, 2002, 10:15:17 AM
Duel Rankings:
1. ESB/ROTJ/AOTC (Vader, Anakin, Dooku, and Yoda in storyline defining duels. I can not choose between them. These three movies are tied.
3. TPM
4. ANH

Jubei SaDherat Vader
May 23rd, 2002, 10:57:00 AM
God, where do I begin?

There is so much power in AotC, and I find those who dismiss it as computer-generated puffery are desperately looking for a scapegoat. It is beautifully done, and even the worst lines in the movie (I don't like sand, etc...) aren't painful like in TPM. I can't find a true affront to point out, aside from the romantic dialogue, which grows on me each time I see it. Natalie was a little under-acted, but it wasn't anything to really detract from the experience.

So, I can only attempt to order these films:

1. ESB (Wonderful and still my favorite. Barely beats out AotC, on account of the carbon freeze scene.)

2. AotC (Its hard as hell to give AotC 2nd spot. Its so close to numero uno, I can't really determine which I like more. They're both the best that Star Wars can be, and I forsee myself spending way too much money in daily matinees for this one.)

3. RotJ (I honestly never saw why people dogged this movie like they did. They blame the Ewoks, but I never had a problem with them, and never understood why other people did either. The battle scenes were magnificent, the final duel was beyond amazing, and for a long time, it was hard to separate ESB and RotJ in my hierarchy. Now imagine how hard it was to wedge AotC into that mix as well.

4. ANH (I like ANH, but I didn't feel quite as moved by it as I did the other films. It started off the whole Star Wars craze, and I guess there are those with nostalgia sense who saw it in 77, and seeing the original Star Destroyer panning over the screen might sway their judgment. Its a great film, but a more considerable distance behind the first three.)

5. TPM (And even further behind will be TPM. Don't get me wrong, I like the movie alot, but I don't think that its spirit is quite in tune with the others. It seems more like the Hobbit of Star Wars than a true part of the main story. Its a kiddie-sized appetizer. Jar Jar was annoying. But that was also his job, and he didn't detract from my viewing. The two headed announcer and Anakin Skywalker did. Jake Lloyd is a very bad person...grrr. Being ten years removed from even AotC, its entire feel is alien from the Original Trilogy, and even a bit removed from Attack of the Clones. Its not a slight against it, its just the truth in such.

Duel Rankings

1. Vader vs Luke (ESB) While a bit less in action, it had much more screen time, much more baiting dialogue, wonderful scene settings, and just about everything else going for it. My all time favorite Star Wars scene is Vader slowly advancing on a tiring Luke, and raising his saber, as he tears the room apart to fling it at his son. That scene gets to me every time.

2. Emperor vs Luke & Vader vs Emperor (RotJ) When Luke makes his stand, Palpatine is determined to make him pay the ultimate price. I don't know how they managed to do it, but it seems that Vader's immovable mask can actually convey different emotions. The way he stared into the flickering lightning, it seemed you could feel the sadness, pain, and eventually...determination. And set to the music, the sound of electric snapping, and Luke's agonizing pleas...it has amazing power, even if not too much action.

3. Anakin vs Dooku (AotC) There's a small detail in this one that sold me. Right after Anakin severs the power conduit, there's a scene with him and Dooku pacing each other in the flickering, dying light. Both fighters raise their blades over their heads in calculated poises, and the style they do it is very much a nod to Akira Kurasawa (sp) and the Seven Samurai, which is a major influence on Lucas. The double saber attack was brief but fun, but I think too little emphasis was placed on the loss of Anakin's arm.

4. Yoda vs Dooku (AotC) Okay, this vaporizes any other duel in terms of action. Deflecting/Absorbing lightning, tearing stone ceilings into throwable rubble, and the fastest saber fight ever made. Its intensity is almost too great for the human eye to see.

5. Mace Windu vs Jango Fett (AotC) The most one-sided battle in Star Wars history, and I love it for that.

6. Obiwan and Qui Gon vs Maul (TPM) Fast and furious, and amazing to watch, though there was little emotional interest attached to it. In the end, it was great eye candy, but seemed a bit too choreographed and rigid to distinguish it.

7. Obiwan vs Jango Fett (AotC) The sheer unconventional nature of this fight was cool to see. Fett used every dirty trick and toy at his disposal, and it was fun to see a bounty hunter go toe to toe with a Jedi Knight.

8. Obiwan vs Vader (ANH) Though lame in terms of action, you can't deny a touch of emotion when Obiwan casts Luke that knowing smile, and sacrifices himself. A magical charm is evident in it.

9. Qui Gon vs Maul (TPM) Not really anything to it, except for Maul's spectacular leap from his full-throttle speeder.

Jedieb
May 23rd, 2002, 06:55:50 PM
The order has changed a bit in that Compuserve poll. As of tonight the votes stand at:

My favorite Star Wars movie so far is...
Episode IV: A New Hope. 33%
Episode II: Attack of the Clones. 28%
Episode V: Empire Strikes Back. 16%
Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. 12%
Episode I: Phantom Menace. 10%

JMK
May 23rd, 2002, 10:12:18 PM
Great post Jubei SaDherat Vader, you make it hard to argue any of that!:)

Gabran Darkysa
May 23rd, 2002, 11:43:40 PM
I agree with JMK, great summation of each duel in the SW saga LL!

Live Wire
May 23rd, 2002, 11:48:14 PM
That is a great summary LL....I can definately agree with that.

Darth_Ytnom
May 24th, 2002, 03:07:22 PM
ESB\AOTC
ROTJ
TPM\ANH