PDA

View Full Version : AOTC observations

Jedieb
May 16th, 2002, 01:40:46 AM
Just a quick observation, but it looks like everything the EU has given us about the Death Star's origin was ignored by Lucas. The Geonosians are its creators and the plans were taken to Palpy on Coruscant by Dooku at the end of the film. This reminds me of statements made by EU writers and Lucasbooks personel at SWCon2. They just don't know what do sometimes because George hasn't finished telling the story. I've said it before I'll say it again, Lucas is NOT letting the EU dictate how he tells his SW story. He may borrow the occasional detail, but the story is going to be told the way HE wants it. Still, I can't wait to read all the backstory info I've been avoiding because of my fear of spoilers.

ReaperFett
May 16th, 2002, 08:23:42 AM
I disagree. It doesn't contradict the EU in anyway

Jedieb
May 16th, 2002, 10:35:02 AM
You disagree, surprise surprise. Yeah, I missed the part in the Anderson trilogy where they outlined how the Death Star had been designed by Count Dooku's separatist consipirators and then hand delivered to Palpatine himself by Tyrranus/Dooku. Then from there it became Tarkin's baby. Something he and Dalla developed together, blah, blah, blah.. Exactlly what page was that on? You crack me up sometimes reaper. I'm sure Lucas went to great lengths to make sure everything he did in AOTC worked around the Anderson trilogy and the rest of the EU. The EU authors themselves can admit they're playing catch up and telling an incomplete story sometimes, but you can't. The novels and screenplays themselves aren't CANON, but you just can't accept that. Think about this, Lucas was reshooting and making changes within days of the release of the film. The novel and screenplay were completed months earlier, and weren't even done in conjunction with one another. Good grief why do I bother...

ReaperFett
May 16th, 2002, 11:06:08 AM
it doesn't contradict, because we never see the construction finalised :)

Oh, btw Daala and Tarkin had nothing to do with the construction. Daala led the fleet defending the Maw, Tarkin was assigned to the star. Lemelisk was assigned by Tarkin to build the first one. However, it doesnt say any of them created it

Jedieb
May 16th, 2002, 12:57:13 PM
The Death Star came out of Doctrine of Fear proposal that Grand Moff Tarkin made to Emperor Palpatine. Rather than expend the incredible amounts of resources necessary to subjugate all the worlds of the Empire, the New Order would instead make visible a single show of force that could be used to quell any treasonous activity. With Palpatine's approval, Tarkin began investigating a means of making his vision a reality.

An enclave of top scientists were recruited or forcibly assigned to the Death Star development project. Tarkin maintained a top-secret laboratory code-named Maw Installation in the heart of one of the most inhospitable regions of the galaxy. There, scientists such as Qwi Xux, Tol Sivron and Bevel Lemelisk developed design concepts and engineering breakthroughs that would make the Death Star possible.
I'm sorry, what were you saying about Tarkin having nothing to do with the construction of the Death Star?

:D

Jedieb
May 16th, 2002, 12:58:14 PM
The Death Star came out of Doctrine of Fear proposal that Grand Moff Tarkin made to Emperor Palpatine. Rather than expend the incredible amounts of resources necessary to subjugate all the worlds of the Empire, the New Order would instead make visible a single show of force that could be used to quell any treasonous activity. With Palpatine's approval, Tarkin began investigating a means of making his vision a reality.

An enclave of top scientists were recruited or forcibly assigned to the Death Star development project. Tarkin maintained a top-secret laboratory code-named Maw Installation in the heart of one of the most inhospitable regions of the galaxy. There, scientists such as Qwi Xux, Tol Sivron and Bevel Lemelisk developed design concepts and engineering breakthroughs that would make the Death Star possible.
I'm sorry, what were you saying about Tarkin having nothing to do with the construction of the Death Star? Again, Lucas doesn't pay attention to any of this when he's making his MOVIES. He ignores his own published scripts at times, you can bet he ignores the EU.

:D

ReaperFett
May 16th, 2002, 01:42:24 PM
I didnt ever say he DOES look to the EU for plot, did I? I said it doesn't contradict. DOesnt mean it WONT

Jedi Master Carr
May 16th, 2002, 06:21:13 PM
Okay if we go by Rogue Planet there is this scientits can't remeber his name off hand who creates the early plans for the Death Star and he gives it to Tarkin. Maybe Tarkin gave it to the Genosisians or one of the rebellious systems because they were good at that kind of thing. Lemiselik and Qwi-Kux were basically the archetics who build the thing (somebody had to build it so they were the ones behind that part of it) And finally Tarkin just took credit for it all (because he was ego maniac) he made the other governors think it was his. (watch ANH he basically acts like this is his plan and it is he who blows up Alderraan) I am sure somebody will peace it together something like that but that is just my feeling.

Admiral Lebron
May 16th, 2002, 08:53:48 PM
Didn't anyone think that possibly Tarkin and Siener(I think) made the plans, gave them to Dooku who showed them to all the repersentitives of the Empires to get some more support and then he handed it to palpy?

ReaperFett
May 17th, 2002, 09:17:32 AM
Lebron, I believe what you said is actually in the New Essential GUide, so yeah :)

Admiral Lebron
May 19th, 2002, 08:28:56 AM
And I don't even own the new essential guide so oh! :D

Marcus Telcontar
May 20th, 2002, 02:49:12 AM
I believe it is clear it was the Genosians who planned the Death Star and Dooku took them to Sidious. There is no doubt Lesmirk is not the designer. Tarkin clearly is not the one who presents the plans to Palpatine too. It's a clear contradiction of the KJA trilogy and for that I am sooooo glad!

BTW, did you also notice the gun ships fired similar focused lasers as to the death star? That was a cool touch! But, be that as it may, it is clear the EU is contradicted. Cooooool

ReaperFett
May 20th, 2002, 11:15:39 AM
If you think it clearly contradicts, you are wrong :)

Jedi Master Carr
May 20th, 2002, 12:57:24 PM
Well Lemelisk was the designer he was just he head engenier, really the way I look at it, it is like the Manhantaan Project who had countless individuals working on, Lemelisk would then be like Oppenheimer who built the thing, and the genosians would be like Fermei, and Einstein who came up with how it could be build that is the way I look at it, believe me everything can fit at least that is how I look at it.

ReaperFett
May 20th, 2002, 05:02:28 PM
believe me everything can fit
And if not, then I go ask Bib Fortuna at TF.N, who can point out the simple way to save it :)

JMK
May 21st, 2002, 07:22:28 PM
EU doesn't count. For anything but a few simple hours of reading. If there's no indication that anyone but the Geonosians designed the Death Star, then they get the credit for designing it.
The earliest indications of the Death Star's origins are in AotC courtesy of Dooku and the Geonosians. Until it is in the MOVIES that someone else was responsible for the design/construction, the Geonosians get credit.

ReaperFett
May 21st, 2002, 07:40:46 PM
The EU version credits the Genoshians too :)

JMK
May 21st, 2002, 07:59:55 PM
Well, good then. We have 2 versions that share the same info, but fortunately, 1 of them doesn't count! :lol

ReaperFett
May 21st, 2002, 08:02:08 PM
Depends on if you count your view or LFL people, or the dictionary definition of canon ;)

Alec Lafeyette
May 21st, 2002, 08:02:36 PM
I know EU doesn't matter to Lucas, but I'm thinking along the same lines as Lebron. It doesn't seem feasible for the seperatists to build something the size of the Death Star. So either they originally didn't intend for it to be so huge, or it was designed by someone else and Dooku was just looking for an opinion from the various leaders.

Marcus Telcontar
May 22nd, 2002, 05:05:50 PM
Canon = movies. The Genosians obviously designed the Death Star, so until Ep III says otherwise, that's who did it. And who knows, they mayt well have been able to build the thing, given that the guilds with the most money were basically on their side. You have the money, you can build it.

Sene Unty
May 22nd, 2002, 06:29:25 PM
I believe that GL made a mistake when he contradicted KJA's trilogy. It clearly states that Lemesk and the rest of the scientists formed the idea for the Death Star. Sure, he could fix it, but for now it is indeed broken.

ReaperFett
May 22nd, 2002, 07:43:42 PM
it's not broken. Nothing in the film actualy disagrees with the books :)

Oh, and I'llget back to you Marcus :)

Jedi Master Carr
May 22nd, 2002, 09:41:57 PM
According to the guide to essential characters Lemelisk worked for the Genosians first and designed a lot of their ships, more than likely he designed the Death Star while with him, that would make since than the Emperor hired him to work on in later on, so it really all fits. The stuff about Tarkin fits too, I am hoping he appears in Ep III maybe they can show him comanding over the construction yards where the Death Star is being build or something like that. Also I like the EU and I feel most of it can fit it besides after Ep 3 that is all that is going to be left. And I have never liked this canon nonesense to me it make Star Wars seem to much like a religion. That is what canon usually referes to religious books.

JMK
May 23rd, 2002, 03:44:09 PM
Does canon stand for anything? Or does it just mean the "official word"?

ReaperFett
May 23rd, 2002, 04:47:14 PM
Depends who you ask. Officially authorised works are one stance.

Jedi Master Carr
May 23rd, 2002, 10:29:14 PM
Here is what the dictionary says I am going to skip the stuff about church law and stuff lih. The books of the Bible officially accepted a s Holy Scripture. The works of a writer that have been accepted as authentic. That is what implies to literature and stuff like that, the rest of it deals with Church law.

Ognaj Fett
May 24th, 2002, 09:02:12 PM
I agree with Carr.
Lemelisk did some design stuff on it for the Geonosians, then was hired by the Empire to build it.