PDA

View Full Version : Are Jedi celibate?! Comments from Uncle George!

Jedi Master Leia Solo
May 15th, 2002, 09:50:04 AM
I found this at Jedi Net. Uncle George was asked this question. Here's the link to his comments.

http://www.JediNet.com/news/Story.asp?init=active&back=archive&fldr=Prequels&month=May&year=2002&id=25942,20020515,3818

Dasquian Belargic
May 15th, 2002, 10:47:46 AM
Ah, so mindless sex is alright ... O_o

Morgan Evanar
May 15th, 2002, 10:55:44 AM
I doubt it would be mindless. =]

Sage Hazzard
May 16th, 2002, 02:02:08 AM
Well, I've had my theory on this for some time. Formed by spoilers, EU, comments from Lucas and otherwise, etc. Now that I've seen this, it confirms my outlook.

Jedi can love and carry on relationships. It's when they become dependant on their partner that they are in the wrong. To have two independant individuals love each other, yet who are not constantly worried, jealous, protective, about their better half, is okay for a Jedi. Meaning, becoming so attached that you treat the other like your responsibility. Your responisibiilty is to the Jedi and to the universe's greater good.

The reason Anakin is in the wrong is because he gets "attached". When he leaves his mother, he doesn't let go(expected by a child). He becomes worried about what his mother will do with her life. It invades his every thought, always lingering. This disrupts his Jedi work. Same thing with Padme. He dreams, thinks, and yearns for her. It's not a love where he loves her for what she is, and wants to be in partnership. He "needs" her. He needs her to be with him and to love him.

:)

Xazor Elessar
May 19th, 2002, 03:47:19 PM
Yes, I agree with Sage's theory. The "love" that he had for her was more like lust. He lusted after her and needed her to be with him. Love is something completely different. That is where you love someone and they love you equally back...and you want to share that forever. Like me and Shade.....that is love....if he leaves again, IC of course I'll be sad and disappointed, but it won't ruin my life. I have my first commitment to the Jedi. I won't give any spoilers away to the people who haven't seen it, but there is a part in the movie where he has to realize his committment to the Jedi first....and he knew that she would have done the same if she was in his shoes. I am sure a lot of people know what I am talking about (the part after the battle arena) ;)

Sage Hazzard
May 19th, 2002, 04:09:12 PM
Well, since I flipped to the back of the AOTC novel. I know what you speak of. :)

Hunk
May 19th, 2002, 04:21:26 PM
And then there's always Ki Adi Mundi (http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/kiadimundi/eu.html)

Marcus Telcontar
May 19th, 2002, 05:11:13 PM
* Blink *

Hunk?? OMG, now there is a name I have not seen in a long time!

Hunk
May 19th, 2002, 07:26:49 PM
::hands Marcus some eye drops::

Jedi Master Leia Solo
May 19th, 2002, 07:34:33 PM
:lol LOL HUNK!

::Waves Hi:: :wave

Marcus Telcontar
May 20th, 2002, 02:12:19 AM
Woohoo!

Jedi Sword Fests! Now all I have to do is get a do not disturb sign made up for the Council room and m'lady and i can put the table to good use.

Of course, if your Under 18, that menas for playing poker.

Figrin D'an
May 21st, 2002, 04:36:05 PM
Based upon what I have read and seen, it seems clear that Jedi are allowed to have relationships, but, as Sage has said, they cannot become so attached that it interfers with their responsibilities to the Jedi Order and to the Force. It is also stated somewhere (I can't remember where exactly I read it) that padawans are not allowed to engauge in romantic relationships at all, because of their inexperience with handling powerful emotions and controlling them via the Force (case in point, Anakin Skywalker... I'm guessing this is what gets him in trouble with the Jedi Order in Episode III... not that he has married, but that he is still a padawan when he does so...)

I know, according to the EU, that there were no major rules about Jedi in relationships until about 700-800 years before the time of the prequels... it was at this point that, because of some bad experiences, that the rules were altered to strongly discourage relationships, between two Jedi or between a Jedi and a non-Force user... it obviously wasn't completely forbidden (we know that Ki-Adi-Mundi has several wives and children), but more and more Jedi began detach themselves from possible romantic relationships. This side effect to this is a slow decrease in the number of Jedi, as Jedi potentials became harder to find...