PDA

View Full Version : Hidden and Unknown (Short story, completed)

ReaperFett
Aug 3rd, 2001, 09:22:35 PM
OOC: Okay, next short in the works. This ones basically a rescue one. Due to how this goes, the start might not be that good. I apologise for that, I'll make sure part two is better. Comments are appreciated.

SET: During Fetts time as a hitman, before his relationship with Jana

FETTS AGE: Anywhere from 16-22

Sliping past the various bargoers, Fett took his seat at the booth, and gave the other two their drinks.

"So, where you heading this time?" he asked Jana Sil, who was dressed in her jumpsuit. She was on shore leave, although only for the day. She was heading out again soon, so they had to make the most of the time they had. Fett had known her ever since he had come to live here, and they had remained friends throughout.

"Selonia" she replied, brushing some hair out of her face.

"I've been to Selonia. Nice place, plenty of sun" said Kyt Dekkar, as he took a swig of his drink. He'd only known the other two a few months, but already was fitting in perfect, helping out Fett when he needed it.

"Considering Selonia is famous for its poetry, WHY were you there?" asked Jana, causing both her and Fett to laugh

"Because, a man can get a lot of money by transporting people there. A lot of married couples do that, you know. And they have to get there somehow" said Kyt

"True, true" Jana said, before looking at her watch. "Sithspit!" She exclaimed "I was meant to be back at the ship now!"

hurredly getting up, she rushed to the exit, with Fett and Kyt in tow. She stopped outside, and turned towards them.

"I'm sorry I have to go. Listen, I'll send a holo as soon as I can, ok?" she asked

"Course. Its not like you want to leave us, is it?" Kyt said

Smiling, she began to jog off down the road

"You know Ash, you've changed" said Kyt

"What do you mean?" asked Fett, half turning towards him

"Well, since I met you, you seemed to have softened a bit to some people. Especially with Jana"

"Kyt, cut the riddling, what are you trying to say?"

"I think you've fallen in love Ash"

"Don't talk Bantha droppings, course I havent" Fett replied. He hadnt, he still saw her as a friend, and nothing more. Didn't he?

Kyt went to reply, but was cut off my a loud engine noise from behind. Turning round, they saw a speeder fly past. It stopped, and a man lean out of his seat, with baton shaped object. He swung it and with a hiss, stunned a passerby, before pulling them inside. Fett couldnt see the face of the victim, but saw that they worse a jumpsuit...

Without realising, Fett had found himself running down the street, Kyt close behind. With another large roar of the engines, the speeder began to leave. Both Kyt and Fett reaching into their belts, and pulled out blasters, before firing at the craft. But it was long gone by then, Leaving them both in its vapour trails

ReaperFett
Aug 4th, 2001, 07:56:32 AM
Taking a sip of his caff, Fett sits hunched over the screen, slowly checking each message. Hearing someone behind him, he sees Kyt walk into the room and take a seat next to him.

"Found anything?" Kyt asked. Fett replied by shaking his head, never turning his head away from the screen.

"Listen, you need to get some sleep. You've been up all night checking everywhere for messages, you can't carry on"

"I'm not going anywhere until I find something. They had a reason for taking her, they wouldnt just kidnap a random person" Fett replied, still not moving his view.

"Look Ash, I understand that, but..." Kyt began, before a loud ping from the computer made him look at the screen.

"What's that?"

"I had some keywords always being searched for. One must have been picked up" Fett replied, as he pulled up a window, and ran the message. On screen was a man in his fourties, with shoulder length hair and a well kept moustache. He wore simple clothes, but wore them in the way as to make it look like a uniform of sorts. Behind him was too dark to see clearly, but there was someone there.

"Greetings Hark Sil. You will not know me, but I know you. My name is Mak Mand, and I am the leader of the Dark Hand" the man began. Fett recognised the group as pirates, and dangerous ones at that.

"Whos Hark Sil?" Kyt asked

"Janas father. One of the richest men on Corellia" Fett replied, before quietening down as the man continued

"Now, you have something I want. Credits. And lots of them. And I have something of yours that you want also" he said, as the lights behind him brightened. There was a cell of some sort, and inside lay Jana, still unconciess.

"If you want your beautiful young daughter back, you will pay us one million credits. You will contact us, and we will arrange a place for the handoff. Until then, We will be trying to find out your credit codes from your daughter. Don't take too long now." He said, as the transmission ended. As it ended, Fett's head dropped.

"What's the matter, wont her father just pay them? I mean, if he's as rich as you say..." Kyt began

"The two hate each other. He wont pay, trust me. And she wouldnt know any credit codes either" Fett interrupted him

"And so that means..."

"She will basically be tortured to death"

"Crap"

Fett got up, and headed into the other room.

"Ash, where you going?" Kyt asked

"I'm going to do the only thing I can. I'm going to try and save a friend" came the reply. He knew Kyt didn't think he should, but wasn't going to say so. It wasnt as if he would listen.

"Need any help?"

"Nah. I think it'll be easier with just me"

"What should I do?"

"Stay here, in case I do need help"

"Ok. Good luck Ash"

"I'm gonna need it" Fett replied, before packing a small bag, and leaving the flat.

ReaperFett
Aug 4th, 2001, 10:07:05 AM
Walking down the street, Fett ducks into a side alley, and keeps walking until he gets to a door. Slowly opening it, he slips inside, and walks up to a small desk. Behind it sat a short balding man of middle age. Looking up, he saw Fett approach.

"Ash, such a pleasure to see you! Please, take a seat" The man exclaimed

"Sorry Pittie, no time. I need your help" Fett said. He then pulled a large pile of credit chits out of his pocket, and placed them neatly on his side of the table

"The Dark Hand. Where can I find them?" he asked Pittie. After some time, he replied

"Downtown Corellia. Go to the Leaping Nerf bar. Ask for Tappo. He'll tell you everything you need to know"

Sliding the credits across the table, Fett said his thanks and left, before heading to downtown Corellia.

Sitting in the cockpit of The Chainsaw, Fett glanced at his side at the other ships. Few other freighters, and a few Uglies. Tappo is in one of them he thought to himself. After meeting him in the bar, he had organised a trial of sorts for Fett. He was to join in a hit and run on another pirate groups weapons cache. They had been more than a thorn in the side of The Dark Hand in recent times. But that wasn't relevent. What was, was that Fett would be allowed to join if he did well.

"Hey Nacho, you ready?" He shouted back

"Yes Ash" replied the droid, causing Fett to smile. An astromech droid that speaks basic and fires the Quads? Could I ask for more in a copliot?.

"Ok people, get ready" Came the voice over the comms, which Fett recognised as Tappo's. Getting hold of the control yoke, Fett pulled The Chainsaw down under the cloud cover, skimming over the top of the buildings below. Switching to missiles, he watched the counter rapidly decline. Fetts sights went red, and a noise emitted from the cockpit.

"I have missile lock" Fett said calmly

"Fire at will"

Pulling the trigger, Fett saw two torpedoes fly out from under the cockpit, and fly straght at the target. They impacted dead on, causing two slight explosions, followed by a huge one, as the weapons inside exploded.

"I think I hit it sir" said Fett jokingly

"Dead on I'd say. Dont think strafing runs are needed" replied Tappo

"So, am I in?"

"I think so. Follow the coordinates we send you, and head for docking bay 24. That'll be where you'll keep your ship. I'll see you there"

"Yes sir" Fett said, suprised. These pirates must be desperate he thought. One mission, and they take me home. Not that I'm complaining. Inputting the coordinates, Fett pulled up, and headed out to space, to make the jump into the unknown

Teka Kenobi
Aug 4th, 2001, 02:26:05 PM
Cool story so far, I wasn't sure wheather I shoudl reply just yet dependig on where you were in the story. It Is a part per thread? Lol, cause if so your 'friend' is gonna die V. soon :)

And another thing I noticed. It's funny how Fett goes for the girl with one of the richest men on Corellia as her father, don't ya think? ;)

ReaperFett
Aug 4th, 2001, 10:37:24 PM
Coming out of Hyperspace, Fett arrived at a small asteroid near Corellia. He realised that the coordinates jumped him away then back, to try and confuse any pursuers. Heading for the surface and landing in bay 24, Fett saw that the hanger was near empty. Aside from his ship, there was a pair of R-41 Starchasers, and nothing else. Walking out of the ship, he saw that Tappo was waiting for him. He walked over to him and saluted, which he did back in response.

"Welcome Ash Longbaugh. Congratulations on joining the Dark Hand" he said.

"Thankyou sir"

"I am your superior here. Mak Mand only listens to those directly below him. I am one of them. You have a problem, you go through me. Clear?"

"Crystal"

For the next few hours, Fett was taken round the facility. While as dull as watching paint dry, he made sure he found out all the important things, just incase. He also made sure to ask plenty of questions when they got to the holding cells. Confident he knew enough about them to stage a decent breakout, he remained silent for the duration of the tour.

Reaching his room, Tappo opened the door, and stood slightly to the side.

"Your room. Now, I have things to do, so I'll leave you here. Tommorow you have no duties, to let you settle in. From thenon, you'll be doing jobs. Okay?"

"Yes sir" Fett replied, as the man walked off. Closing the door, Fett checked the room for any bugs or cameras. Finding none, he drops onto the bed, deep in thought. Got to do it soon. The longer I leave it, the more likely a problem will come up

He sat up, and rubbed his temples with his fingers. I need to see her, make sure she knows. Leaving the room, Fett crept down the corridor, trying to look as inconspicuous as possible. Reaching the prison area, Fett was suprised to see that there was noone on patrol. This place could be taken down by a drunk Ewok! he thought smiling. Walking through the corridor, he looked through each cells door hole, until finding the one he wanted.

"Jana" he whispered. Getting up suprised, she walked up to the door

"Ash?" ashe asked

"Yeah, it's me. Are you ok? Have they done anything?" he asked worriedly

"No. They've just left me in that cell. I heard one say they'll start on me tommorow"

"They wont get time to"

"Huh?" Jana asked, not sure what Fett meant

"Tommorow, early, I'm going to break you out. We can't go yet, there are too many fighters on patrol. But in the morning, most of the on duty pilots are still hungover from the night before" Fett said. He'd have preferred to have waited a few days to try and sabotage some things, but didn't want to risk Jana getting badly injured while he did that.

"Ash, can I ask you something?" She said, looking down at the floor

"Sure"

"You've come all this way. You've had to get into this pirate group. You're now going to try and break me out. Why? I mean, there was a chance that my father might have paid them" she said. Fett assumed she must have been told why she was here. Fett got up, and turned towards where she was standing,

"Because I doubt he would have paid. Even you said, he doesnt care about you" It was then that it dawned on him. Kyt was right... Fett took a deep breath.

"And because I love you"

Fett saw her body stiffen as she looked back at him,It was at this moment that he heard a noise nearby, no doubt a guard.

"Listen, just be ready, I'll be back soon" he aid, and jogged off down the corridor

ReaperFett
Aug 5th, 2001, 06:45:50 AM
Waking up early, Fett got up and headed straight for the refresher. Coming out ten minutes later revitalised, he gets changed into his clothes. Some old black trousers, shirt and nerfhide jacket. Heading for a small desk in corner, he picks up the gunbelt on it, and straps it on. He was using his DL-44 blasters today, as they would last longer, and needed less power packs than clips for his slugthrowers. Taking a deep breath, he slipped out of the room, and down the corridor.

He walked into the cell area, noticing the guard was absent once again. They're just trying to help me, arent they? he thought with a laugh, as he walks up to Jana's cell, and looks inside to see...

...nothing.

They've already started on her he thought, as he sprinted down the corridor to where he had been told interrogation was. Reaching a room, he saw there was a one-way window looking in. Walking up to it, and saw Jana. She had her jumpsuit unzipped to the waist, still wearing a vest like most female pilots wear. She looked slightly bruised, but visible injuries wasn't Fetts worry. She was strapped upright onto a flat wall, and had a clip on each arm. Each clip lead down to a large box, where a man was turning a dial up and down. Another man was standing near a tub of water, and occasionally throwing some at her. He recognised this torture. They send electric currents through your body, and put you to breaking point. Then, they throw water at you, to make it worse. Judging by the look on her face, Fett guesed she was near breaking now. Got to move now. Hitting a botton on the side, the door opened, as he strode in. Seeing the man near the water go for a blaster, Fett shot him, before turning towards the other man.

"Turn......it.......off" He said slowly

The man slowly turned round, but instead of switching it off, he put it to maximum power. Fett fired a shot at his lower back, before jumping over his body and cutting the power. Waiting for the electricity to earth, he hit the strap release switch, and jogged round in front of Jana, as she collapsed down on him. Putting his hands either side of her face, he check her pupils, and then her breathing, before slowly lifting her up.

"Come on, we have to go. Now. Can you walk?" he asked. She nodded, but Fett kept one arm round her waist to help anyway.

As they walked out, Fett saw someone to his right hand side. SPinning round slightly, he saw two men pull blasters out. Shooting them both before they had time to even fire off one, he then points the blaster at the next man, who Fett recognised.

"Ahh, Makk Mand" He said, putting Jana down on the floor, before walking over to him, blaster still pointed at his head. He punched Makk in the stomach, sending his head down, before Fett kicked him in the facem which send him flying to the ground. Walking up to him. Fett slowly rmoved his blaster to the mans head. Looking up, he could see Jana looking at him. Although she wasn't saying anything, he knew the message. Don't do it. Spinning the blaster, Fett waved a goodbye to Makk, before going and picking Jana back up. Hearing a noise behind him, he instinctively spun round, and fired a few shots into Makk, who was now standing and holding a blaster. Turning back round, he put his arm round Jana for support again, and started walking.

"Come on"

Getting onto The Chainsaw with no more hassle, Fett gently put Jana on the recovery bed, and walked up to the cockpit where nacho, his red R2 droid, was waiting.

"Anyone been near the ship Nach?" he asked

"No Ash, the entire hanger has been deserted"

"Okay. Lets get out of here"

Sitting down in the pilots seat, Fett slowly brought the ship up, before hitting the throttle, sending them speeding out of the hanger. Reaching down towards the navicomp, he inputted some coordinates for a hyerspace jump. Not to Corellia though. He decided to head for Talus. It was a days journying away, meaning that he could get try to get Jana up to full health without having to take her into a busy place. Hitting the hyperspace throttle, he unstraped himself the moment they hit the blue, walking into the main area. Walking up to Jana,he saw that she had passed out, but was still breathing well. Carefully, he took off her jumpsuit, leaving her in vest and shorts. A jumpsuit can be the worst thing to wear when you're trying to get medical attention. Reaching above him, he pulled ut a small blanket, and carefully laid it down on her, before heading back to the cockpit.

ReaperFett
Aug 5th, 2001, 07:15:12 AM
Fett had been reading a novel on his holopad when Jana had woke up. Puttingit down, he slowly walked up to her, and set next to where she lay.

"Hey"

"My throught" she said, slightly horse.

"Its from one of the injections I had to give you" he said, picking up a glass of water off the side. "Here"

Jana took the glass and had a sip of it, before handing it back, and taking the blanket off. It was a thick blanket, and she had started to sweat a little. Fett used his hand to wipe some of it off her face.

"Am I going to be alright?" She asked, sounding slightly concerned.

"Yes. The bacta did its job. You're almost hundred percent now" he said, giving his best reassuring smile. She smiled back, before an uneasy silence.

"Ash?"

"Yes?"

"What you said yesterday, when I was in my cell. Did you mean it?" She asked. Fett picked up one of her hands, and massaged it with his thumb.

"Yes"

Without waiting for an answer, Fett leant down, and slowly kissed her on the lips. He half expected to be sent sprawling accross the room, but was reassured when he felt her hands running slowly down his back. He slowly moved his hand down to her leg, and started to slowly rub it, before moving his head back.

"I know you don't like what I do. But I can change. Once I get enough stored away, I'll give it all up, for you" he said. Jana smiled up at him, before putting her hands behind his head, and bringing him back down.

Landing back on Corellia, Fett walked up to Jana, who was waiting by the exit, and slowly put his arm round her. She was wearing clothes he had picked up from Talus when they had left hyperspace there. It wasn't much, simple trousers, a shirt and a nerfhide jacket. It wasn't expensive clothing, but Fett knew its the sort of clothes she liked to wear. She slipped her hand round his waist, and looked up at him.

"Are you sure about this? About you and me?" She asked.

"Jana, my entire life has been full of uncertainties. For the first time, I'm completely sure about something. And thats us" He replied, and gently kissed her on the cheek. Hearing the hiss of the landing ramp lowering, the two began to slowly walk down into their new life together.

***END***

ReaperFett
Aug 5th, 2001, 07:17:32 AM
Okay, thats the full story done. Any comments, questions or opinions? Please post them here. Thankyou

Nichos Marr
Aug 5th, 2001, 04:22:06 PM
I thought it was excellent! Well I really liked it overall. Nichos gives it a 9.5 out of 10.

(The extra .5 is because I never knew Fett had a heart until now :D )

Teka Kenobi
Aug 5th, 2001, 06:12:41 PM
I give it a 9.5 too. Great job Fett :)

(The extra .5 is because I never knew fett had a brain. He rescued the girl, and feel in love with her, and her dad is the richest man on Corellia or something :p )

But seriously it definately deserves the 9.5 good story, although I wasn't too sure about the prison breakaway. I was think maybe there would be a bit more resistance than wat they gave? Just a though :)

Liam Jinn
Aug 6th, 2001, 05:21:55 AM
I thought the whole breakout thing was waaay too easy too. She didn't seem all that enthusiastic that Fett was there either. I got the feeling that there was only 5 maybe 7 people tops there from the way you were going around in it and the way you were discribing it..

ReaperFett
Aug 6th, 2001, 06:02:56 AM
hmmmmm...

I think it was written badly. The idea was that the group was meant to look small and ameturish. Note how the hanger was near empty, noone was round, how the guard was never there, and the way Fett got in after one simple mission. Also, they kidnapped someone who has nothing to with with her father, who was who they demanded the money from. I think it was badly written though. I should have really put more of Fett's thoughts on it.

The enthusiasm part was badly done too. I presumed that someone recently stunned would be a bit dozy still, and wouldn't be all there yet.

I'll have a play with those parts sometime in the next couple of days

Teka Kenobi
Aug 6th, 2001, 06:07:24 AM
Cool, good idea. A lot of thought went into this me thinks :)

ReaperFett
Aug 6th, 2001, 06:17:57 AM
Theres a possibility of a sortof follow up, thats why :)

Not hugely related to this, but it involved the Dark Hand getting a decent leader and causing trouble