PDA

View Full Version : The Representative

Jenre Phrise
Dec 7th, 2001, 03:41:55 AM
Jenre Phrise sat confortable in a booth. He had a flute of Yavin Wine on the table, it was made from obscure berries residing on the planet.

Could use a good cleaning... but other than that it's a moderate bar. Jenre complained to himself.

He adjusted the green sun glasses on his face, they also served as bi-focals. Laser sergury was advanced enough to correct any vision problems, but he was deathly afraid of laser beams. Especially the ones that go inside eyes. The sunglasses were a cover for that fear, hiding the seeing problem.

He had came to the bar to inspect where Republic funds were being funneled. The representative was made aware that Syrius Cline frequented this bar by hidden contacts. It wasn't what the money was intended for but whatever made the R.S.C. Director content he was ordered to accept.

Jenre came here with work on his mind but now he was lonely.

Jenre Phrise
Dec 7th, 2001, 05:02:35 AM
Jenre was wondering what it was like to actually meet a Jedi or Sith. He was always closed off to the universe, laced like a fine fabric into his job day in, day out. He wasn't a open person. Not shy, but private.

He took a sip of his wine flute.... Not terribly awful.

Captain Tohmahawk
Dec 7th, 2001, 05:55:20 AM
"Ugly day really. The Arcan locals were a bit upset with the trouble the smuggler caused. Cant blame them, not with the trouble we had in the first place"

The General, Commander of the NRSF garrisoned at Arcan IV, came in the bar, talking on a commlink to someone in the fleet orbiting above.

"Okay, I'll get back to you on that. I'm at Yog's, I'll be here for an hour or so. Tohmahawk out"

He wandered up to the bar. "Usual tea thanks"

Senator Paelotu
Dec 7th, 2001, 08:27:54 AM
(Senator Paelotu departed from his shuttle, once it touched down on Arcan IV, and journeyed in a small entourage to the largest population center on the planet. It was some time before his meeting would take place on strategic liasons between the New Republic and the fledgling Jedi Order that had been rebuilt in the Empire's wake. It was all well and good to have the guardians of peace and justice return to their positions of power, yet Jaius Paelotu didn't rise to office simply because he took somebody else's word. He was a bit of a pragmatist, not necessarily untrusting, but preferring multiple viewpoints. Several legislative drafts had been brought up in committee regarding military asset allocations, specifically in the defense of several star systems that were labeled "Jedi interests". Arcan IV was one of those, and while Paelotu had no problem with such aid being given to the Jedi, he would not stand to see the Force-adepts attempt to pry more than their fair share. After all, the fledgling New Republic still had many key assets to defend elsewhere, and not all concerned the Jedi.

It was all a very dry affair, and Paelotu was able to put such things onto a back burner for the time being. In the meantime, he stopped off at a bar and grill, intent on mingling with the planet's inhabitants, in contrast to the recommendations of his security staff.

Entering the bar, the Senator soon found that he was not alone. He sidled over to the table of another familiar face)

Jenre Phrise! What an unexpected meetingplace this is.

(Paelotu sat, eyeing his contemporary curiously)

Come for the sector defense briefing, I gather?

Captain Tohmahawk
Dec 7th, 2001, 09:38:24 AM
The General noted the new arrival and let out a very, very obvious groan.

"Oh no. Not THAT @#%$ again"

"So tell him to take a hike General" suggested one of the General's troops.

"Long walk out of a short space lock? Ohhhh I'ld love to see that"

"What's he here for, you reckon?" asked another.

"Probably trying to assert some completely non existant control. If there is one thing I hate it is a politician, especially ones with overblown sense of importance"

Tohmahawk turned back to regard the senator, his stare heated and pure steel. As much as he detested politicians, they were a source of great amusement to stir up.

Especially when you were effectively out of reach. Tohmahawk's face twisted into a smirk. This might turn out to be a good deal of fun, baiting this one.

Jenre Phrise
Dec 7th, 2001, 04:15:58 PM
Phrise smiled. He dealed with Senators every day of his high rise life, but never was he mistaken for one.

"Actually sir, I'm not a senator. I work for the Justice Division and the Funds Division. I'm just here on an off day." Phrise said with a fixed smile on his face.

"Would you care for a drink, sir?" Phrise surmised the senator would depart as soon as he found out his real job, but he offered anyway.

OOC - Actually I'm not a senator. I'm a repersentative from the Senate. Sort of like an assistant, errand boy, or messenger.

Senator Paelotu
Dec 7th, 2001, 09:16:49 PM
Yes, of course, Phrise.

(The Senator politely ordered when a waitress came by)

A decanter of Dantooine Brandy, and two glasses, if you will.

(She left, leaving the Senator and the aide)

Preparing a deposition over the Arcan IV affair, are we?

Captain Tohmahawk
Dec 7th, 2001, 11:53:20 PM
"Arcan affair? What is he talking about?" said Greylock, one of the burly troops whom were congregated around Tohmahawk

"Got me. I think I'll go over and find out what they want"

The General turned, mug of tea in hand. Resettling the rail guns at his hip, he walked across to where the policians were.

"Well, Senator Paelotu. What an unexpected surpirse."

Hard face and steel eyes bored in at the Senator. "And might I ask whom your companion is?"

Senator Paelotu
Dec 7th, 2001, 11:59:10 PM
(Paelotu smiled formally)

But of course, General.

(He gestured to Phrise)

This is Jenre Phrise, committee assistant to Senator Zain of Kuat.

(He then gestured to Tohmahawk)

Jenre, this is James Tohmahawk, General of NRSF and regional commander.

(A relieved smile came to his face)

Ah, now that introductions have concluded...General, may I help you in some way?

Captain Tohmahawk
Dec 8th, 2001, 12:04:35 AM
"YEs you can help me. What are you doing here and why have you not reported to the local garrison first, as per stated operating procedures for visitors."

Jenre Phrise
Dec 8th, 2001, 01:54:47 AM
Jenre Phrise was here on pleasure and not business. He felt uneasy around the General, he was intimidating to say the least. Jenre assumed that the man was speaking to the Senator about the garrison, so he didn't speak. Instead he extended his hand to shake Tohmahawk's as the other two spoke.

OOC - I'm assuming by "commitee" you're referring to the funds commitee.

Senator Paelotu
Dec 8th, 2001, 03:14:11 AM
OOC: I am indeed.

(Paelotu looked at Tohmahawk, the corners of his mouth dropping slightly)

General, such practices may have been common ten years ago during the Thrawn attacks, when the New Republic was under military lockdown, but that is in the past.

(He reached into his lapel pocket, pulling out a holocard, and handing it to the General)

Diplomatic passes. Surely with the amount of dignitaries you're responsible for, you've seen them. We come. We go. We aren't bothered with planetary garrisons...

(He took back the holocard, returning it to his jacket pocket)

...because quite frankly, we mop up enough of the Galaxy's red tape as it is.

Although, if you'd like a Senatorial inspection of the NRSF's facilities, I'm sure I could fit that into my stay. I do tend to pad my schedule for such...unexpected stops.

(Paelotu smiled)

All you need to do is ask.

Captain Tohmahawk
Dec 8th, 2001, 04:02:51 AM
The General gives the pass a cursory look.

"As you are no doubt aware Senator, this planet is still under military law - local Military law I might add, after their last Governor was found to be the ringleader of the criminal gangs that overran this place up to now. Your credentials mean little to them and as I understand, Arcan IV would have left the Republic if it was not for the presence of the NRSF and the Jedi. They bear a great grudge agains the ones in the Senate who ignored their cries for help"

"and I might add Senator as you well know, this is not just a garrison as you so put it, we are a top security military installation that brokers no interference, as per the charter I have been granted. You are to report to Security in future as even the Jedi do"

Senator Paelotu
Dec 8th, 2001, 06:22:10 AM
I know enough of this facility, General. I drafted the legislation to cement the legality of a New Republic presence here.

Captain Tohmahawk
Dec 8th, 2001, 06:38:21 AM
"Wrong Senator. There was no legislation based from the Senate and you clearly dont understand the animosity the Arcan locals have for the Republic. They only have the NRSF here as we were the only ones whom got them out of their plight. Or dont you remember how the Republic allowed and even approved the despot Veyves here? Now, as the Commanding officer of the forces here, I demand to know the reason of you visit, because you are clearly out of you juristiction, being on this planet without my knowledge"

Which was true. The Arcan population had asked to be left alone after the night when the Jedi Master had appeared and helped free them. In gratitude, the NRSF had been allowed to base and recruit, they had allowed the Jedi to come as well. All others were viewed with suspicion. Criminals if found could well find themselves lynched.

And once one of the most lawless planets had finally known some peace. And so much did they like their hard won peace, they were beginning to join the NRSF in some numbers, to help others know peace as well.

Sanis Prent
Dec 8th, 2001, 06:54:37 AM
OOC: Suspend the disbelief. You can take the initiative, but in a republic, eventually these actions have to be cleared by the lawmakers. You may have wrested control of the planet, but it would take a legal action to keep such. The Republic isn't a benevolent despot. Even the maverick actions of Tohmahawk and NRSF would need some amount of "covering fire" in the NR government. Otherwise...why RP a Senate at all?

Captain Tohmahawk
Dec 8th, 2001, 07:18:46 AM
OOC : The NRSF was set up to be outside of the Senate's control, more to the point, Tohmahawk is answerable to the Chief of State herself only. That's been RP'ed and written over some time and is mentioned in the same RP that Arcan IV was freed.

The legal status of Arcan IV as I stated. They wanted to be left alone to heal their wounds, but they believed they owed a debt to the NRSF and invited them to stay. Tohmahawk, seeing the oppurtunity set up shop, did so. He's been careful to make sure that there cant be political pressure bought on him ro restrict him.

The Republic may not be a despot and may do things by certain rules, Tohmahawk is a benelovent despot and moves as much as he can in ways that would probably scare some in the Senate deeply, because he has clearly built a powerbase that is out of the control of the politicians and even the Inner Council to a degree. He has indepentaly built up a fighting force - a small one mind - that man for man is the best. It's original purpose was to make sure the Republic was never again taken over by Force Users and that is a cause he believes in deeply. As that's not known, I would think the NRSF would be a real concern to a Senator like .... Pileou? and he would be wanting to try and find out what they are really up to.

As you said, normally someone like Tohmahawk would be leased, except he was clued enough in the past to make sure there wasn't one and to releash him would be extremely difficult. Have a quick check of the begiining of SCC to see example.

Effectively, I would presume the Senator would be more likely to be looking for a way to cut Tohmahawk down. Yes?

Senator Paelotu
Dec 8th, 2001, 07:30:50 AM
OOC: I'm taking the stance that Paelotu may have perhaps supported the initial legislation activating the NRSF, but is now reluctant to support what is in his eyes "a runaway machine". Thus, he would still be able to assume such a stance without compromising the NRSF/Arcan backstory (sorry, but SCC is too damn long >_<). Is that cool?

Captain Tohmahawk
Dec 8th, 2001, 07:33:55 AM
OOC : Yeah, that's fine. Please read SCC!!! *cries*

Senator Paelotu
Dec 8th, 2001, 08:03:15 AM
OOC: I *did*!!! It took a whole weekend off from working 2 jobs, remember. But I'm having trouble with retention...so much to recall.

(Paelotu sighed audibly)

General, even your Senatorial free-reign had to be approved...by the most unlikely of supporters, no less. It took no less than a filibuster to form NRSF. The damnable Bothan voting bloc raised hell, and accused my party of being bought out by the Chief of State. It was a fiasco, and less than half of my colleagues made it through the re-election. Its likely not as glamorous as the front lines with a blaster, but it was a battle nonetheless to form the NRSF.

(His eyes narrowed)

A battle that I have questioned many times since. An autonomous force answering only to the Executive? A post-Imperial Senate could see only the machinations of the Empire in such a bill.

The Executive needs a tool to avoid emergencies becoming stagnated in the legislature, I agree. But I will not allow your service to become the Chief of State's new "Stormtroopers", as many are now suggesting.

(Paelotu paused for a moment before continuing)

If you're curious as to the nature of our visit, General, it has to do with the allocation of funds to your military infrastructure. The Defense committee has authorized me to review the transfer of Army and Navy assets into your sphere of influence. Devil's Advocate, if you may. The Treasury also has a vested interest in such an inquiry, to ensure that there are no special interests in the Defense committee who are sealing away NRSF funds into secondary projects.

(The brandy arrived, and Paelotu requested another glass, sliding his own to the General, and the other to Phrise)

We may be independent, General, but we do not have to be adversaries. Your cooperation in this venture...would be most appreciated.

Captain Tohmahawk
Dec 8th, 2001, 10:26:10 AM
The Senator's words bought back memories.....

--

"Why James! How are you today?"

It had been some years ago, he still could remember. Recently promoted to General, he had been summonded to the office of the Chief of State. Private meeting. It could only be about the secret that was the anti Jedi and Dark Jedi force he had been putting togther for the years before.

"I am well Madam President. What is the purpose of this meeting?"

"James, the Special Forces can no longer be secret. One of the Bothans has found out just what we have planned, you and I. I have to head them off, if this force is to stay any longer. And we know it needs to grow. It can't do so in shadows, even with your power"

Of course she knew. The only one at present. The only one that knew whom Tohmahawk really was. "Are you certain? Political compromise will weaken what you wanted and it would compromise my hand too. As we agreed, only with freedom can this come about"

"There wont be any compromise James. The Senate is still fearful of another Palpatine. That fear will see all argument off. Plus, if it is worded right..."

"Prehaps calling it an elite fighting unit? The New Republic Special Forces, formed for the protection of the Senate and to watch the Jedi? It would be best to may it sound like it was for the benifit of the Senators themselves, with no reference to the past... make it sound like a new idea"

"That might work. And you, I presume would work on an official level and in the shadow as you would?"

"Very much so Madam President. We need to hide our strength and what the Special Forces really can do."

"Yes James.... how are you going, establishing independant supply lines?"

"Very well, Madam. We have a most delightful scam going with Munnilisst and Ukio is becoming our major supply base. It's almost funny how the scum are feeding the growth of their own destruction. "

"Hmm. How many more years will you need James?"

"Not many more Madam" An idea came to his head. "Madam, if this bill could go through, it would speed us up. An elite force could legitimatly skim the best of the Republic and may even free my hand more if we do it right"

Her eyes lit up. "Ahhh, do I feel you have an idea? What do you propose?"

"The Defender"

Her face fell. "That is going too far James. No one could get that even started"

His eyes filled with mischeif. "They will Madam. I'll make sure of it....."

She paused, then laughed. "James, one day someone is going to catch you. Shoot you or a medal, I dont know, but I want to watch the show"

"Maybe one day Madam. For now, this is what I think we should do...."

--

"As far as I am aware, Mister Senator, the Senate passed the bill because they are afraid of a new Palpatine and there had to be someone independant to stop one arising. Or are you forgetting? Your not fooling me Senator. It was fear that bought the NRSF to being, not your sweet but poisionous words. You might glamourise your position, but you know as well as I do there are enemies that cant be dealt with conventional means and the Senate is scared of them. That is the real reason"

He sniffed the drink, his brow wrinkling in disgust. Alcohol. Why did humans like this stuff? His alien biology was almost immune to it's effects, but the stuff still smelt vile. And he had to wonder, what would this Senator think if he knew exactly what the General really was.

"And as such, your request is denied. You could well examine accounts at Coruscant and on the side of Defence, you know just as well as I do the discloseure provisions stop as soon as resources are transferred"

Senator Paelotu
Dec 8th, 2001, 11:57:20 AM
(Paelotu scowled at the obstinate General)

The Senate speaks for the people. Without the legislation, your entire operation would still be a pidgeonholed bill. Whatever the people do or do not want, we are there to represent.

(He dismissed the General's baiting remark)

The Defense Committee's books have already been analyzed. If it were so simple, I wouldn't have wasted time on the trip here. A comparison between Treasury Reports and NRSF financial records must be made, otherwise, I couldn't make a conclusive statement, no matter how many times that I analyze the Senate's data.

(He leaned closer)

The Senate is larger and more diverse than even in the times of the Old Republic. Order has generally been reestablished, but there are still elements within the government that cannot be fully explained. Dissidents, Warlords, and others who have ridden the New Republic's coattails and now seek to benefit from our position.

(He leaned back, pouring himself some brandy, choosing his words carefully)

None of this leaves this table, General. Your appraisal of the Senate is somewhat correct, despite the reform efforts of my colleagues. In the two years since the Internal Investigations committee's formation, I've brought ten Senators to impeachment hearings, as well as numerous other government officials. Its become increasingly easy to tack on extra tax revenues into legislation, only to have it "disappear" in the bureocracy. Some credits are hoarded for personal gain. Others...for far more ulterior motives. A bill for relief aid came up short, only for me to discover the funds were being used covertly to fund a secessionist militia on the very same world we were saving from starvation.

I suspect similar motives may be at work in this situation. If I am right, and there is a credit-siphon in effect regarding NRSF funding, it would be in your best interests to allow NRSF credited accounts to be compared with the Senatorial defense expenditures.

Jenre Phrise
Dec 9th, 2001, 01:34:21 AM
OOC - I hope I don't look the fool for asking, but what is my role in this? What should I be doing? I don't chat so I can't plan RPs that way, so a little help would be appreciated. You two wrote so many replies in my absence it's hard to keep up with the storyline, and where I fit in.

Marcus QDunn
Dec 9th, 2001, 03:55:31 AM
OOC : * Scratches head*

I dont rightly know. I dont know where this going to go even. I think I know where to get you, so we can discuss there.

Senator Paelotu
Dec 9th, 2001, 05:02:24 AM
OOC: Well, neither of us are planning ahead, just kinda going on improv, I guess.

Jenre Phrise
Dec 9th, 2001, 10:51:48 AM
OOC - I'll try and catch up. You two keep going and I'll jump in somewhere. My character's sort of like a freelancer, apt in politics and used for odd jobs that politicians don't want to get dirty with. Such as delivering funds and leads to Syrius Cline of the R.S.C., my current task.

Paelotu, how do I become a Senator? With an alternate character of course. Is there a board in place or is it independant for every one who wishes to be. I don't know many of the lesser known worlds so I'm afraid it'll be hard for me to decide which one to represent.