PDA

View Full Version : Dark Fury 14

Darth Turbogeek
Nov 16th, 2001, 05:42:50 AM
Bet you never expected this.

This is set 12 years after the Role Play "Sick Cycle Carosel"

It is purely a story and if you dont like some of the assumtions in it so far, you can go to hell for all I care. My story, I'm writing it and my delusions.

It is not finished, but it's worth a read, or say the people who have seen the work in progress. See what you think :)

------

“… The last resistance of the Sith empire had ended and the Sith menace is wiped out. After the last ships were destroyed, Admiral Ackbar accepted the surrender of the ground forces. Losses were heavy with the Jedi loosing many of their own. Now, years later, we have a lasting and complete peace. The Republic is guided by the Senate once again, with the Jedi the peacekeepers….”

“…..It has been 12 years since the disappearance of the Jedi Master Turbogeek, there continues to be sightings, but none are substantiated….”

“….News of a battle at Munniiist, where an unidentified Jedi saved …”

“…. Strange monsters were sighted on Coruscant….”

The images flashed through her mind as she sat on the old style chair, in the rustic room, on a planet so far away form anything that even news a decade old was fresh. Her drink sat by her as she scrolled through a secret data pad, checking for any sign. It wasn’t time, not yet. He had not appeared, although there were signs if you read them well. She would wait then. The hunt had been on for 12 years, another couple more would not matter.

Hurry Marcus, she thought, please hurry. I know you can’t rest while Callista lives, but come back to me. Maybe then we can live together in peace.

--

“…. And the Jedi have negotiated the settlement of the Unilist standoff. Both sides say they are happy with the outcome..”

The words ended in a buzz of static as a large work hardened hand pushed the off button of the data display. The hand connected to a large muscular arm, the arm to a tall man, sunburnt, dark hair, features hardened by exposure to wind and rain, muscles rippled under his fairly thin clothing. The actual room itself was now dark, it being quite late. He was not surprised to see the woman sprawled on the makeshift bed, well and truly asleep with a blanket over her body.

“Fallen asleep watching the news service again? Aye, you stayed up waiting for me to finish up. Told you to not do that. Ahh well, I’ll let you sleep there. I probably wont be in bed for a few more hours. There’s another nerf about to give birth that I need to look over. Eh, why am I talking when your asleep? Heh, I’ll be chatting to nerfs next!” He laughed quietly, turning away to leave. But he made sure he stole one more glance at the beautiful woman sleeping in his room. Correction, Their room. He had been living in that place for so long by himself, it was hard to reconcile the fact she was in his life to stay. Her and her daughter.

“Ahh Simon, you won the pot making her your wife. She be quite a woman, she is. Sleep well”. He closed the old fashioned hinged door behind him, leaving the woman to sleep on in peace.

--

It was a clear and even balmy night, as Simeon Desvelles, known to others as Simon, stepped outside the house that he had inherited from his parents some years ago. The house was itself quite large, far too large for him, but it was his home for longer than he could remember. A solid construction, it had weathered much and matched it’s present owner. In marked contrast was the green fields that spread out for as far as the eye could see. Not far away was the barns and storehouses, which he was now headed for. He didn’t need a light to find his way, his feet knew the path perfectly. To be honest, he wasn’t expecting a problem with the delivery of this nerf, but he never failed to get over the wonder of a birth of a new animal into his herds. Even after 40 years, first accompanying his father to the herds, then as his own master, he never got tired of seeing the newborn struggle to their feet and find their mothers.

He could get one of his many workers to attend. After all, the land was good and had made his family wealthy, even important in some ways. He could go back into his home and sleep with his wife. No…. there was something about getting dirt under your fingernails, the scent of the land after rain. Something powerful that he could not explain. Rivel said it was because he was born of the land, it was part of him, he was a born farmer.

Maybe. He did know that the city folk made an insult out of nerf herder, to describe a backwards and dumb person. Personally, Simon couldn’t think of anything more that he would want to be. If that made him dumb in some fools eyes, fine by him. To him, foolishness was wanting to live in those tiny boxes, flying in those “space ships”, never staying in one place. Apparently, he could afford lots of those and some folk said it was desirable to do so. Even spome of his fellow farmers, one even had a landing pad!

Not me, thought Simon. I’m staying right here and I’ll live like my fathers of before did.

“Boss? Is that you?”

Simon came out of his thoughts, seeing a light coming to him from one of the storehouses. “Yes it is… Tholins, what are you doing out?”

“You don’t need to be here Boss. We can look after the herd tonight.”

“I wanted to look over the births tonight Tholins”

“Aye, but you should be inside with your wife Boss. You don’t need to be here, you should be spending time with your missus, like you insist we do”

He laughed. “”Point taken. I’ll take the day off tomorrow then, if that makes you happy”

“Never seen you take a day off in my life Boss. Not even when you wed. What she going to think? Be hard enough being an Outsider trying to settle in you know”

“Yeah, but she does better than most, She likes the peace and quiet. Something in her don’t like being made a fuss over either. Rivel likes things as they are, don’t think I haven’t asked”

“Aye, as I said when I first saw her, she be a strange one. Ain’t heard of no high brow woman wanting to be a farmer’s wife, if you be getting my meaning and no offence. We farmers don’t get nought but pudgy mid wives and ye know that well”

“Well, you wont catch me complaining Tholins and I won’t be calling your missus a pudgy mid wife either. You likely to get a frying pan across your lug hole. She be a fine woman and you know it”

Tholins Geome smirked. “Aye, know that well I do, better than those city women with their airs and funny talk. Ah, thins be the place we have the birthing nerfs. You sure you want to do this? More than enough workers Simon”

“Yep, but there’s something about new life that still makes me want to be part of it Tholins. Some sort of miracle that still attracts me. Come on, it must be time” Desvelles opened the door and without another word stepped inside the barn that both men had arrived at. The smells of the animals immediately assaulted the nose, the fresh hay, the feeds, the smells of the nerfs themselves, their manure. SThe city folk would hate it. Desvelles however, thought it was what made him, what kept life worth living.

Geome too smelt the odours, but thought slightly differently. A man like Simon, who didn’t have to bend his back in hard work, a man who could be anywhere other than the farm, still preferred to get dirty, live as any other common herder and crop grower. Despite his size, a kind and gentle man to boot. Tholins Geome was like the other 150 workers employed on Desvelles freehold farm, located in a huge valley, he would refuse to leave and continue to work here while Desvelles remained.

Maybe that was the reason why Rivel chose to be here as well, he thought. Them City women looked down on the farmers as manure, so one of them coming to live with a herder spoke volumes for what type of man Desvelles was.

--

The moons had just set, leaving the land in deep darkness, before Simon finally came out of the barn. He waved the others goodnight, before beginning the walk over to his home. He was tired, physically, but his mind still raced. The last nerf to birth had caused some trouble, but in the end it all was well. Several minutes later, he arrived at the back entrance. Pausing only to touch the unlock code, he pushed the door open and turned on the lights. In the room was a simple washing and cleaning area, plus a mirror for grooming – a recent addition in deference to the two women now under the roof. Desvelles normally didn’t care much for appearances, preferring to just simply keep shaven and hair shortish. Tonight, he would really need some cleaning tho, birthing was a messy and unpleasant looking job. Crap caked his shirt and his face had blood smatters on it. His arms were smeared with mucus and blood too. Ah, what a sight he would look to others, more like a butcher than a farmer.

The room had a refresher coming off it, complete with a sonic shower and a real water sluice. Normally, the sonic would be fine, but for times when he was feeling physically spent and needing of something more, only the sluice would do. Setting the shower spray for as hot as his skin could cope with, he stepped in fully clothed, sqwarking as hot water touched skin. It did take him a few minutes to acclimatise, by with time he had stripped naked and was beginning to cleanse himself with a cleaning gel. Standing with his back to the doorway, he scrubbed the stains and blood off his body, before rinsing off and if the truth be told, just malingering as the water and steam massaged and loosened sore and tired muscles for quite some time.

Simple pleasures for a simple man.

Eventually, he reached over to the taps and with a firm twist, turned off the flow of water. Steam partially obscured the air, dripping off walls and making everything damp. He glanced around, trying to find where the…

“Looking for this?”

The female voice spun him around in surprise. A dark haired woman, with a loose fitting robe sat in a corner, with a towel on her lap, cross legged, chin on cupped hands, positively leering.

“Oh… yes I was. When did you come in here, I thought you would be asleep” said Desvelles as he walked across, gently picking up the towel. He began to dry himself as she watched silently, pouting as he wrapped the towel around his waist.

“Mneh! You spoil all my fun!” The pout changed just as quickly in a stunning smile that lit her whole face up. “At least I had the spy camera on so I can watch later again!”

“Anyone would think you have a girlish crush on me” he replied.

“Who said it was girlish, mister? Didn’t I ever tell you I have a very bad case of a lust fixation on you?”

“Several times actually. What are you doing up Rivel? I thought you would be asleep at this hour”

The woman got up, showing off her slim build and figure and the robe cling to her body. “I was, but I was awake when you came in. How did it go Simon?”

“Pretty good. 5 new calves all healthy. The south field watering systems are repaired, so it’s been a good and productive day all around. How about my wife? Did she have a good day too?”

Rivel Desvelles, ne Blackwing, smiled at her husband. “All the better for seeing you in the shower” She came closer, placing a hand on his chest. “I hope your not planning to get up early Simon. I’ll be most disappointed if you do”

He allowed the towel to drop, reaching out and encircling Rivel in his, before moving his head to kiss her lips softly. “Well I cant allow that, can I?”

>

“Allow what?”

“Can’t allow you to get up early or be disappointed. Can I now?”

She laughed as he picked her up and carried her off in the direction of their bedroom.

--

The morning light filtered through the curtains as he got up slowly, as not to disturb Rivel, who was still fast asleep. It was probably a few hours after his normal wake up time, certainly he would normally be out and about well before now. There was no such thing as a day with nothing to do when you worked on a farm as big as this one and plenty that needed to be done today. Still, he thought as he pulled his shirt on, it was good to relax now and then… if you could call spending a night in bed with a woman like Rivel relaxation.

Must be. He was feeling quite good and relaxed.

Simon paused only to kiss Rivel on her forehead, before turning and exiting the room. He paused and looked down as he stepped on something unexpected. Picking it up, Desvelles realised it was Rivel’s robe. Now that had been thrown here or they were nearly didn’t get into the bedroom – from the memories of last night, Simon would bet on the latter. Smiling slightly, he tossed the robe into the room, before closing the door quietly so as not to disturb Rivel.

Down the stairs, through the hall to the right, second door, he entered into the rather large kitchen / dining room. It had been added for Simon’s great grandfather, who had had 16 children. Much like the rest of this home, it was designed to cater for the typically large herdsman family, not for a man whom had remained single until his 37th summer and whom only had after that a wife and a teenage girl sharing the abode. Rivel had not done more than settle into Simon’s bedroom and have one room for what she called her hobby room – mainly reading and fitness work. She seemed to take a delight in not doing much at times, while at others, she seemed to be a whirlwind of energy and activity. Apart from her initial caution at being in a new and strange place, Rivel had settled in well, like she truly wanted to be here, almost like she had been born here.

Quite unlike the girl who sat at the large dining table now. If the re was one thing Jina Q’Dunn-Blackwing would never be was a farmer’s wife. For one thing, even given Rivel was one of the most beautiful women Simon had ever seen, the blazing redhead, only 16 and not fully filled out was utterly sensational already. In the terms of the class society of Ukio, she would obviously be one of the Overleige and even then put even the high borns into the shade. Give it a few years and suitors would be coming from all ends of the planet.

And going home rather sore, added Simon mentally as he moved to pick up a cup. He had personally witnessed as she had, in an almost offhand and casual way, dissuade the unwanted attentions of a young herder, who was almost the same size of Simon. Jina had simply executed a couple of fighting moves Simon still found hard to believe could be done, hitting the herder into a wall, which had splintered from the force of the impact. No one had said or tried anything from then on and even Simon felt uneasy being around the young girl.

“Where did she learn to fight like that?” he had asked Rivel one night, as they relaxed in bed.

“I did a bit before we came here, but she mainly learned from a Martial Master on Arcan IV. I guess she hopes to go back one day and complete that training. Which is why she reads as many manuals and trains like she does. Why do you ask”

“Because, your not bringing up a young lady. Your bringing up a fell warrior Rivel. Do you really want that from your daughter?”

“If that’s what she wants, I won’t prevent it. It’s a harsh Galaxy out there Simon, even if your not going to leave here and experience for yourself. She’s just not going to be a herdsman’s wife one day”

“And your different?”

“Oh, I’m very different Simon, I rather like being a farmer’s wife…” she said, slowly beginning to crawl on top of Simon and not long after that, words were not really possible, nor thoughts on the subject of Jina.

Still, he wasn’t by nature a curious man, so he had let it go at that point. But he did wonder now and then however, mostly when Jina gave signs of her strangeness.

“Your up late Simon”

Her voice snapped him out of his thoughts. “Late night with the nerfs. Thought it best that I got some sleep for once”

Her eyes seem to stare right through him, brilliant green offset by the flaming red hair. Desvelles had the uncomfortable feeling she could tell the real reason. Just like he had the idea she could pick the truth from any lie. She chose not to comment further, instead turning back to the datapad she had been studying when he arrived in the room. Pausing for a moment, he went to a fruit bowl, selecting some of the choice pieces. He picked up a knife, before moving to the other end of the table, setting the fruit down before sitting and beginning to peel them. “What are you reading this time?” Nice subject change Simon

“History of the Old Republic. I wanted to find out more about the relationship the Jedi had with the Senate and reasons for their fall”

“Jedi?” He partially hid his surprise by beginning to carve one of the pieces of fruit, then beginning to eat the remains.

“Yes, just seeing how here Chancellor Palpatine managed to manipulate the Clone Masters to produce an army that firstly……” She continued for a few moments, until she caught Simon’s expression. “You don’t believe a word of this, do you?”

“Jina” He started, pointing the knife straight at the girl for emphasis “The Jedi are nothing more than scare tales to keep bad children in line. The only things real are what you see and feel, not some mystical field that controls everything. About the only thing I could ever believe in is God and that’s pushing it”

“Oh no, that THAT again” groaned Jina, eyes flicking upwards. They both had had the theological discussion before, Desvelles a passionate believer there was a God. Jina seemed to have other ideas.

“No, not that again. You however, can’t tell me that these… Jedi existed. I mean, it’s nonsense!”

She gave him a searching look. “Not even Luke Skywalker?”

“Obviously absurd. No man can do the things he is credited with”

“Okay. Suit yourself”. She turned her attention back to the datapad, leaving Simon perplexed and silent. The girl had never been particularly silent on the dislike for her mother’s choices and for the dislike for herding life. They never said anything in front of Simon, but it the tension was there. He continued to eat in silence until all the fruit was consumed. Then, he stood up.

“Tell your mother I’m on the South valley today. Have a good day”

“Sure. Have fun” She didn’t even look up from her data pad. Desvelles sighed.

“Remember your place young lady. Your under my roof, understand?” She looked up, distain in her eyes. He stared her off until she dropped her eyes. Desvelles turned and left the kitchen, heading for the front door where his speeder was parked. Dismissing Jina from his mind, he began to think about the things he needed to get done today.

--

She sat at the dining table, continuing to read for nearly an hour before Rivel entered, dressed in a smock she had taken to wearing. Jina looked up.

“Desvelles has gone to the South Valley. And you look like a nerf herder or a begger”

Rivel faced Jina. “Oh, I’m so glad you noticed. I just happen to be a herder’s wife! I would appreciate you speak about Simon with some respect too!”

“He’s just a farmer! What do you expect me to say?!?!”

“Just… A FARMER?! Jina, he’s my husband! I don’t expect you to approve, I just expect you to accept!”

Jina placed the data pad down slowly, calmly, then stood up. “You know what He would say to this, don’t you?”

“Do I care?”

“Obviously not. We should have moved on years ago”

“You cant run forever Jina. Didn’t your Father tell you that?”

“Yes and he told me never to grow roots, your going to regret this one day!. I’ll be in my training room if you want me”. Jina turned on her heel and marched off, leaving Rivel by herself in the middle of the kitchen.

“Believe me Jina, some days I do already” Rivel said quietly.

--

Even with the speeder running at near maximum speed, it took over an hour to reach the place the herders called Lowhold. Desvelles freehold took up most of the massive valley, right up to the point where the valley dropped even further to the south, into a wide chasm. Here, the borders of three farms joined up and in fact Lowhold was by agreement shared land. Farmers and herders in time past had driven nerfs and other animals to the area in times of strife, as the area was littered with caves and rifts, perfect to take shelter. Now, in these days of peace, Lowhold was a trading area of sorts, where herders would come to sell their stock. From there, it would be transported to the spaceport at Farview, which was situated on top of the mountain plateau about 20 minutes away South by speeder. The road itself tended to follow the chasm until it emerged at an escarpment, at which point a repulsor-lift ferry was positioned for those going on foot, or in craft without the lift power to climb the ridge. Desvelles had probably only made the trip to Farview 4 times in his life, preferring to deal at Lowhold. The other two major farmers, Twiller and Fregory, also dealt at Lowhold, which gave to otherwise unimportant and tiny settlement a degree of importance it would not have otherwise had. Twiller was like Desvelles, preferring his land to the city and also never went past Lowhold. Fregory on the other hand, it was rumoured made frequent off-world trips in his dealings and in some ways, was the outside face to the informal co-operative. Other herders and farmers worked through Fregory’s contacts, which, if Desvelles had heard right, was making Fregory a pretty sum in commissions.

Not that anyone begrudged Fregory getting a cut, because he dealt fair and honestly. It also helped he had a good deal of bargaining power as a result of the informal alliance of the herdsmen and farmers backing his moves. Desvelles himself had heard Ukio was a huge producer of food for the Galaxy as a whole, which made the planet reasonably wealthy. Backward and boring to outsiders, to here Fregory tell it, but well off all the same.

“Not as rich as Coruscant – a whole planet made into a city! Not like Trogan, which is a trade centre like you wouldn’t believe – but we pay our way, if you know what I mean” said Fregory one night long ago as Desvelles, Twiller and he shared a drink.

“Really? What do we need to pay?” Asked Simon. “I would have thought our needs are simple and fairly small”

“Protection Simon, protection. There are races out there who would be jealous of our fair planets wealth and would want to subvert it, just like Grand Admiral Thrawn did to our grandfathers. But no one would dare now. The Overleige pledged allegiance to the Arcan Protectorate and I’ve been to Arcan IV, where the Protectorate is based. They told me it was one of the most crime riddled planets but now, it’s the safest. You should see the military bases there! Maybe Coruscant is the seat of government, maybe Ukio feeds them, but Arcan IV is the seat of genuine power in the Galaxy. The Jedi even have a base there!”

“Oh come on, you don’t believe in those Jedi tales too?” snorted Twiller, saying exactly what Desvelles was thinking.

“Cant not believe what your own eyes have seen Juestin. I saw the place myself! Excuse me, I need to go to the ‘fresher”. Fregory got up, a touch unsteady, then moved away. Twiller caught Desvelles shaking his head, replied with a upward glance, plainly saying in action what he thought of Fregory’s assertions.

“He’s had a bit too much to drink” replied Simon.

“A bit? Next He’ll be telling us there are Angels at the moons of Yago I expect”

As Desvelles powered down the speeder, he again shook his head, thinking about the exchange which was now a few years ago. Fregory was full of these wild outsider stories. Rivel certainly never said anything as outrageous, except to hint the Outside was a dangerous place. Fine by him if it was, he wasn’t going anywhere.

The speeder floated to a halt, close to the edge of the chasm. The ground dropped about 500 meters at this point, reasonably steeply, but not as sheerly as it did elsewhere. It made a good place for the repulsor lift rafts his workers used to float crops and nerfs to Lowhold, which was 1 km west from the lowering point. Already gathered here were twenty large harvesters, already disengaging collecting holds from the morning’s work, a corral that held probably 1000 beasts, some work sheds, four large floating decks and about 50 odd workers, all well and truly busy. If work was running on schedule, activity would have started 4 hours ago, not long after dawn. Some of the workers lived at the makeshift area, other like Simon would have transported from the main quarters near the main barns. However, unlike Simon, they would have been travelling in speeders well before the sun rose.

“Hey Boss! Your late!” The foreman of the area, Towsy Howter, a large fat man with a long beard and unkept hair jovially called out to Desvelles as he climbed out of the speeder and proceeded to walk over to where Howter stood, datapad in hand. “What, did Rivel decide that you work too hard?”

“Not quite. She was complaining I didn’t work hard enough and made sure I rectified her complaint”

Howter bellowed in laughter. “Aye, I bet she did! She made you sweat, I don’t doubt!”

Simon smiled and shrugged. “I’ll leave that to your rather active imagination. How are we faring today?”

“Aye, good we are, good we are. First grain transports have left for Farview, we are up to our second drop with them. That’ll be a good 100 ton of grains, added to the 2000 of yesterday means we are well ahead. Jimoen and his herders have 1056 head o nerf ready for drop too. There be some good un’s in that lot, they’ll bring yer a fair price if ye want it”

“I do. Pass a message to Fregory’s agent those nerfs are some of the best we have produced. I’ll want at least 500 per head. Now, what of the birds we sent?”

“Ahhh, went well. An exotic pet trader took the whole lot at 750 per bird”

Desvelles smiled. “Excellent! Looks like we have a good year on our hands. Tell the men we’ll be having dinner in Lowhold, I’ll be paying”

“They’ll like that. We could use a few drinks”

“As can I. Right, give me a data pad, enough chat, time to get to work”

Through the day, the workers toiled. By the time the sun was setting, Desvelles was drenched in sweat, arms and back aching from the day’s exertions. But he didn’t really notice as the day’s work had been very good. 2500 tons of grain was now on it’s way to Farview, along with 2136 nerfs. Howter had left during the day to negotiate a price from Fregory’s agent and was only now returning up the escarpment in a empty lifter. As soon as Desvelles saw the fat man, he immediately wiped the sweat off his brow, then moved over to speak to Howter as the lifter came to a rest.

“How did it go Towsy?”

“Aye, not bad at all Boss. The agent had a restaurant chain buyer who took the whole nerf shipment for 550 each”

“Credit claimed or COD?”

“Neither. Paid up on the spot when he inspected. Credits are banked already. Grains weren’t quite so good, 200 per ton. Still, not too bad - Demand seems quite good right now”

“When you have a Galaxy to sell to, demand is always good” quoted Simon

“Hey, give Fregory one thing. He’s getting us good customers”

“Wasn’t arguing Towsy. I thought last year was profitable – this year is going to be incredible is we continue this way. And the Overleige cant get a cut with us dealing with the customers outside of the control markets of Flemton. I rather like the sound of that, let those poodoo’s earn their money honestly for a change”. Although, Desvelles suspected someone in Fregory’s network of agents was getting a slice somewhere. He was certain his fellow farmer was paying someone off, because he had heard whispers of protection money bandied about.

“Makes you wonder what the Overleige think about being cut out of business” said Towsy, saying out loud what Desvelles was thinking.

“I’m sure they don’t like it....” he didn’t finish the sentence as a new voice from behind him spoke.

“Nope, but we are on the scale of things, quite small and on the other side of the planet to them. As long as it’s only us three, they wont care” Simon turned to see a lean and dark skinned man, leaning on a walking stick. The hands were wrinkled and knotted from hard work, the back bent from long days of labour. But the eyes were still fierce and bright. “Fregory worked this all out before he talked to us Simon, you should know that. He may be an airy fairy twit when he comes to stories of his travels, but he has a good head for a credit” He harsh mouth broke into a crooked tooth grin. “Master Desvelles, how are you? I haven’t seen you since you married. How is your new wife?”

Simon gave Yveyss Twiller a looking over, before striding over and offering his hand in greeting. “Yveyss, how are you? How is trade? Rivel is fine, she’s settling in well”

“Ah, excellent to both! I should have expected you to be at home, but you don’t change Simon my boy. Cant help working with the lads, yes?”

“The Boss arrived late today Mr Twiller. We’re going to dock his pay” rumbled Howter.

“Simon arrived late to work? Ah, miracles do happen! Must be some woman to keep you from the farm laddie”

“Aye, she is too Yveyss, she is too. But you didn’t come up her to speak about my wife, now did you? What bought you up here?” asked Desvelles.

“Celebration laddie! The year has been good to us and I have a new grandson to to toast! Would you care to join me in raising a glass to the young man’s good health?”

“Do you mind if the workers come as well? I did promise them to pay for dinner and I’m intending to hold that promise”

“Why of course! Why not I call my workers over and we dine together? If the tapcafe has not enough room, we can sit outside under the stars. It is going to be a fine night!” replied Twiller, slapping an arm around – or trying to slap and arm around, Desvelles was quite a large man – Simon’s shoulder.

“Accepted, old and wizened one. Hey Towsy, get the men to finish up. I can hear an ale with my name calling” shouted Desvelles.

“Right you are Boss! Come on you sluggarts, you heard the man, the ale ain’t going to get fresher while you tarry here! Lets pack up so we can hit on the bar maids!”

“Or in your case, sit on them you fat barstard!” rejoined one of the workers, from upon a transporter. Howter gave him a rude gesture.

“Least I know what’s male and what’s female, Katz! Right, lets move it, we ain’t got all night! Look sharp people and move it!”

Barely 30 minutes later, as true dark was descending, the last harvester was locked down and the last man took his place on the lifter. Howter took his place at the platform’s controls, switching the running and directional lights before engaging the repulsor lifts and heading up and out to the escarpment. Right at the front guard rail stood the two farmers, Desvelles and Twiller. Behind them, a burst of laughter signified the workers were beginning to relax as one began to regale with a story of one of his more shady deeds. Desvelles turned his head to listen for a bit, before turning away and looking out over the chasm.

“Ah, I’ve heard that story before. Seems to me like the woman he speaks of changes race every telling” he said, with a hint of a smile on his face.

“It bores you Simon, to hear the same story all the time?” replied Twiller.

“Nah. It’s still funny, no matter the race. It’s a nice night tonight”

“Yes, it is….. tell me Simon, do you ever wish to leave this place?”

Somewhat surprised, Desvelles gave his fellow farmer a puzzled glance. “No. Why do you ask?”

“Ah, my sons have left. I only have daughters here now. My youngest, I had hoped he would stay as he has a good head for business and is the right sort to till the soil. But he’s gone now too”

“Really? When was this?”

“6 months ago, he signed up with the Protectorate. Bah, a soldier’s life is not right for a farmer!”

“A soldier? Ah, I wouldn’t be worrying Yveyss. From all that has been told, it is a time of peace. Being a soldier is a good way to get the wanderlust out of a person and a wanting to settle down. How many soldiers come here, buy land and live out their lives as herders like us? Marry a good girl from the land, settle down, become like us? Don’t worry, your boy will be back”

“I only worry that he does come back Simon. I feel you are right, but being a soldier is a dangerous life, especially what he was accepted into. He was good enough to join the 137th”

Desvelles arched his eyebrows to show his surprise. “Even I’ve heard of them. Are they not one of the Republic’s more elite units? Didn’t your Shara marry one when one of then retired to here?”

“Ah yes, both true. And Urt, I talk to him. He tells stories he does! But you can see in his eyes, he doesn’t tell the worst of them. I’m afraid my boy will see much he was not reckoning on” Twiller paused, just looking outward as the lifter floated downwards, before speaking again. “But I’m becoming old man Simon. Age is getting to me finally, I cant continue much longer. I need to hand on in the next few years and I have no one of my own blood to continue on. I had dreams of sitting on my porch, watching the sun set and seeing my boys continue on. Ahh, tis for naught I dreamed. I’ll sit on the porch with my grandchildren, but who will I see bringing in the crops?”

“It’s a fine dream Yveyss you have and I pray you see it happen. I think your boy will be back or one of the older ones will hear the land calling him. Maybe one day I will stand here with your son and say the same thing. At least now, I may now have a family to hope to continue”

Twiller had taken a pipe out of his pocket, had finished filling it and lit the contents. He puffed on the stem, before taking it out of his mouth and poking Desvelles on the bicep. “Yes indeed. I thought you would never marry. Many women were broken hearted to hear you were finally caught. You dashed the hopes of many a fine lady, I dare say. And to an Outsider too! Aye I’ll tell ye, tongues are wagging about that one my boy. Is she a fine lass, what was her name… Rivel? She certainly turns heads, she does, but is she for the land?”

“Somedays I cant work out why she would want to be here, I will admit. But, she does and I am happy with that”

“You know why she chose here?” asked Twiller

“I don’t pry much. She does say the Galaxy is dangerous, so I think she may have seen things she wished never to see”

“Ahhh, that might do it. And what of her daughter do you think?”

“If you wanted to try to marry a Hellion, go right ahead. Your life would be short, if she let you get that far and I doubt she would”

“Your tone of your voice says much Simon. Is she really that bad?”

“I wouldn’t wish her on an enemy, if I had one. I don’t know how, but she knows how to fight and she can move faster than any predator you have ever seen. I can’t understand it Yveyss, I have seen nor heard anything like it”

“Aye, I agree. Don’t be surprised if she runs off soon and joins the Protectorate or does something like that. I’d not worry too much, she will leave you and Rivel alone in not but a few short years”

“True, I just hope no ill comes of her”

“Hmmm. Does Rivel seem concerned?”

Desvelles’ forehead wrinkled in thought. “Not that I recall. Nothing she has ever said to me”

“Well then don’t worry. Mother’s know best Simon, they see things us men can’t. If Rivel is not worried by Jina, then you should not be either. You’ll find this out when you have children of your own”

Desvelles replied with a shrug, preferring to look out into the darkness for the moment. He had a curious idea about Jina that he did not talk or mention to others. The thought once again came to mind, stronger now.

I’m not sure Rivel has spoken fully on Jina to me. There’s something there my wife doesn’t want to allow me to know. She definantly doesn’t want for me to know about the Outside, which is fine by me, I have no interest. But why is Jina like she is? I might not be a smart and Outwoldly man, but Jina is not a normal child. I must ask one day….. but only when Rivel wants to tell me. I wont force it

He continued to stare in silence until the lifter came to a rest with a tiny lurch. From the drop point to the small town of Lowhold, there was a string of lights on the ground, lighting the path. It was not a far or a difficult walk. The workers all jumped off without the safety rails being unlocked, keen to get a ale or two into them. A few of the older ones and Simon all waited for the unlock, before stepping down to earth. Twiller took a bit longer, as his joints were stiffer, Desvelles waited off to one side.

“Hey Boss, okay to go ahead?”

“Yeah sure… Yveyss, where are your workers?”

“Blackbird’s. Cant miss em, they’ll be the drunkest ones”

“Okay Howter, See you at Blackie’s. Don’t drink the place dry before we get there”

“Ha! If you walk too slow with Master Twiller, you wont get water! Come on boys, lets go!” With much yelling and catcalls, the workers began to move off, spirits getting higher as they unwound. Desvelles, with a large smile on his face, shook his head.

“Were we ever like that Yveyss?”

“My boy, you were the worst of the lot while your father lived. I thought he made a bad mistake making you heir…”

“Yeah and all his worst fears were realised!” exclaimed a worker who came past at jog, catching up with the others now a good dozen meters ahead. Simon shook his head, struggling to keep back a laugh.

“Ah, you’re the one who pays his wages, ye shouldn’t let him get away with that comment, true as it might be” snickered Twiller.

“I wouldn’t worry. In a few weeks, he might wonder why he’s been put on stable cleaning duty for a week. And you can make sure you pay for this evening as a payback for that remark”

“Heh. If that’s what it will cost me, I should have said something worse! And as I was going to say, you have done your father’s faith proud. He would be pleased to see where you are today. I only hope you can say that to whom I finally trust with my farm in years to come”

Desvelles felt a touch of pride, hearing the words said by Twiller. He didn’t seek praise of men, but when one said Simon’s father would be proud, he always felt an inner warmth of satisfaction. I only hope Mother looks down from where she is and is pleased with my choice of Rivel. I only wished they could have met, I think they would have gotten along. I don’t think Mother would have liked Jina however. She was always a very traditional woman and Jina quite certainly does not fit the mold she made my sisters.

--

It wasn’t that late when the group, now swollen by Twiller’s workers, exited Blackbird Tapcafe. The men were all saying noisy goodbyes, some good natured insults and some singing. As Desvelles exited, he reflected on what a sight it would look. Twiller, tankard still in hand came out as well.

“Pathetic. In my day, we would make SURE the place was dry before we left!”

“We have work tomorrow, even if old fools like you want to stay on the porch, reminiscing about in their day”

“Aye, I resemble that remark!” Twiller paused to consume the tankards dregs and set the cup onto a nearby table. “You keep well young good for nothing upstart. Bring your wife and your pet demon to my house one day! I would love to see if she is as bad as you claim”

“Aye that I will. Farewell! Right lads, back to home. Lets go!” The two groups parted with more noisy salutations, Twiller’s to the north, Desvelles’ to the west. Someone belched nosily, which drew a laugh from the group. Desvelles himself was in a quiet mood, more keen to be home now than in carousing. He dropped back some steps, just experiencing what was now a cool and crisp night. With no moos in the sky, the stars burned bright and at this point on the planet, with no cities to compete, they were a spectacular sight. Simon never got tired just staring upwards, just looking at their beauty, marvelled at the patterns you could see if you looked hard enough. I wonder which ones Rivel went to, before coming here? The large one on the horizon? The small ones up ahead? I wonder if they all have names? As he was not really concentrating, he almost bumped into a man, walking down the path in the opposite direction.

“Oh! Apologies friend, I was stargazing” Desvelles said. The stranger nodded.

“It’s a good night for that. I might do that myself after I find a place to rest for the night” The voice was low, powerful, deep and harsh. From one of the lights that maked the path, Desvelles could see the man was under 6ft tall, strongish build, dressed in a simple poncho and pants, boots and a broad brimmed hat that hid his face well – except for the mouth, witch was thin lipped and tense, with a week’s facial hair growth. A thin cigar was clamped between his teeth as he spoke. A gloved hand came up, taking the cigar out of his mouth. “Have a light friend?”

“Why, sure. Ummm, you from around these parts? I don’t believe I have ever seen you before”

The stranger bend over slightly, his face becoming lit up with the flare of Simon’s lighter. The eyes were dark and the face lined. Desvelles saw a scar partially hidden by facial hair. The stranger puffed until the cigar lit before answering. “Nope. I might be looking for a bit of work if you know if anyone is hiring”

“Well, there is an agency in Lowhold. You could try there. Other than that, not much around here” Desvelles stepped back a bit as the stranger took the cigar out of his mouth.

“Well I might just check it out. Thanks” The man nodded, then recommenced walking towards the town. Desvelles paused, then shrugged. It was rare a stranger came to Lowhold, but not unheard of. He dismissed the cigar smoker and jogged to catch up with his workers, who were by now close to the lifter.

--

The three men were sitting quietly at the bar, with a few half filled cups and the remains of a meal on the table. One of them was reasonably well known in Lowhold, the other two had recently arrived. All three were fairly rough looking characters, unshaven and toting blasters. It wasn’t common for anyone to carry a weapon in Lowhold, but it on the other hand wasn’t that rare wither that three men grouped with weaponry would raise an eyebrow. While Lowhold and Farsight were peaceful towns, basically crime free, there was the occasional thief and bandit group that would appear. More often than not, soldiers from the Arcan Protectorate would put an end to any trouble and it was well known that a bandit raid on one of the isolated farms would bring fearful retribution. For some reason that no one could quite work out, the Protectorate always seemed to be one step ahead of what gangs existed, stamping them out before any real trouble could begin. The locals of Ukio were acutely aware of how much they owed the Protectorate, Given also the Protectorate recruited Ukio’s own for it’s ranks, The Overleige were more than pleased that they had a debt to the them.

Still, you couldn’t be too careful and hence there were some people who preferred travelling the remote roads armed.

For a few moments, the small group sat quietly drinking, before the local placed his cup down firmly.

“So, what’s the judgement? Yes or no?”

“Hard to say” said one of the other two, a dark swarthy human, “certainly fits”

“Ai vote we inform. Too much like the wanted person”

“Aye, but we need to be sure. Don’t want to be too hasty, cause you know what will happen not long after we call”

“Yeah. You know if they have reasonable cause, they strike hard. We don’t want innocents killed”

The others nodded. “Allright, we go look for ourselves. Yes? Then we tell the Protectorate”. An odd flicker passed between the three, some unworded understanding. They were about to get up, when the tapcafe’s swing doors opened, admitting a tallish man, with clothes that had obviously seen better days. He wore boots, long dark pants, had a poncho that covered his torso and waist, a dark coloured, broad brimmed hat that hid most of his face. His chin carried the evidence of a lack of shaving for some days, while his taunt and thin lips had a thin cigar protruding. One of his gloved hands reached up and took the cigar from his mouth, blowing out a haze of blue smoke from between his clenched teeth. He placed the cigar back in his mouth as his boots thumped on the two steps, his footsteps jingling from the small wheeled spiked devices attached to his boot heels. Silence descended in the bar as the man strode over to the bar, dropping the saddle pack to the ground as he did.

“Hmmm. Bad Boy, if I’ve ever seen one” murmured the local.

“I don’t like the look of him” said the swarthy man “he’s probably the type of trouble we don’t need. We’re close enough without anyone doing something stupid”

“Find out what he wants here. Maybe he ain’t what he appears” said the as up to now third man of their group.

“And if he is a Bad Boy?”

“Run him out of here. We don’t need the trouble he could cause”. Without further word, all three got up and two other’s from another table joined them. The y crossed to where the stranger stood, with his back to them. Visible was one hand, with the cigar still smoking between his fingers. The other hand had a glass that was being lowered to the benchtop. His hand released from the glass, to rest flat. He was clearly aware of the five men circling him, some few meters away.

“Hey, Gringo [outsider]. Where you from and what you doing here?” said Swarthy.

The was a pause for a few seconds, before the low growling reply came back, a voice that sounded harsh but calm. “None of your damn business”

“It’s our business, cause we don’t like Outsiders that look like trouble. Maybe it would be best that you go” was the reply.

“That so?” There was another pause as the stranger slowly placed the cigar back between his teeth. “Then I guess you’ll be leaving shortly”. Surprised, the group of five looked at each other. One of two that had got up from the other table carefully reached down and unbuckled the strap on his blaster holster. The quiet snap almost echoed in the sudden silence of the bar. There was more rustling and clicking as the others likewise unbuckled their weapons, ready for use.

“I said your leaving and your going to. In a box or on your feet, your choice” answered Swarthy, after glancing at the others. One of them nodded. The stranger blew out a haze of smoke, then turned slowly around, eyes at the floor, so that his face was effectively hidden. His left hand tossed back the poncho, revealing at his hip a gleaming, black handle of a large and deadly looking gun. The gun was holstered on a belt, which had in loops, gleaming metallic pieces. The effect was blood chilling. He raised his head, so that his eyes were now exposed, dark and squinting, with lines around them. The stare was hard and powerful, conveying a sense of purpose and danger that would normally make anyone take a step back. The five facing him off all gave signs of being taken aback by the revelation that this man was quite clearly no ordinary trouble maker. The cigar moved slightly, before the stranger spoke again, teeth clenched.

“It seems you didn’t hear me right and I don’t like people who don’t hear me right. Now either you can sit back down or…..” His hand brushed the leather of the holster, making his intent perfectly clear. The barman, trembling hard already with fear, dropped below the bar. Others in bar began to back away for the walls, keen to get away from the standoff. The tension began to build, the stranger’s stare boring down, seemingly at all five at the same time. Sweat began to appear on the five, one or two of them beginning to breathe heavily as the atmosphere got thicker and thicker. A drop of sweat dropped of Swarthy’s nose, to splatter on the floor. A twitch appeared on the local. Hands moved ever closer to blasters, while the strangers stare became a glare that seemed to make the room feel hotter than it was. His hand seemed to be relaxed, unlike the ones of the men he faced off.

Quite abruptly, Swarthy made a go for his blaster, hand ripping it out of it’s holster. Before it cleared the leather, the first bullet pieced Swarthy’s chest, sending him flying backwards. The gun exploded four more times in a blur of sound and fury, as the stranger cut down the five men as they hardly managed to clear their blasters from their places, let alone target the stranger. Bodies dropped to the floor, tripping over tables, dropping plates and cups in smashing crescendos to the floor with them. One man tried to get up, knowing he was mortally wounded, trying to bear aim at the stranger. Without the stranger even looking, the black barrel turned and spat fire again, putting a projectile neatly between the eyes.

The smoke began to clear as the stranger bent down and picked up his pack, throwing it over his shoulder. Stunned silence and terrified eyes followed him as he stepped over the dead bodies without a second glance. His boots jingled with every step, before, very abruptly, he turned and fired, shooting dead a alien who was trying to bear aim on him. Without a word, but with a seeming self satisfied puff on the cigar, the stranger spun the gun on his finger, returning it to it’s holster, turned and strode calmly out into the night. Shock at the sudden violence drenched the bar; silence reigned until the barman dared to poke his head above the bar top and looked at the carnage.

“Oh my God….” He breathed, before fainting with a crash.

--

It was probably about one hour after sunrise, with the Desvelles household well and truly awake, Simon himself out at the barns with Tholins Geome, Rivel was out the back seeing to their personal produce patch, Jina of course retreated to her private rooms as soon as breakfast was over, probably to train against that practice droid she had bought on a visit to the capital of Ukio. Desvelles had raised an eyebrow at the time, but had been reassured by Rivel at the time. Still was awfully puzzling, which Simon filed mentally under the “I” file for inexplicable. To be honest, there were much more pressing issues that what the daughter of his wife wanted to possess. Besides, he could afford it – curiously, Jina could too.

“Money from her father, Simon she inherited. She’ll never be a burden for you unless you really want her to be.” Rivel had said. That had been just before their wedding. A year later, Jina would now and then go to Farview to pick up something else, then come back and place it in the rooms she occupied. To Simon, it was very strange behaviour, but given Rivel was not concerned, he wasn’t either. Just curious, which given he was a reasonably unimaginative man, that was notable. Not much held his curiosity when it arose. Jina was one of those few things.

Of course Rivel was another, but she was more than willing to satisfy any curiosity he had about most things of her.

“Hey Simon, can you pass up that spanner? I think I’ve found the fault in the power generator” asked Tholins, way up in the loft.

“Sure… hang on. What type are you looking for?”

“Ummm….. 3 standard.”

“Okay…… got one. Coming up!” Desvelles took aim and lobbed the spanner high. Tholins caught it neatly, before beginning to apply it to the cover plate. “So, what do you think?”

“Looks like a fused converter. We have a few spares, so we’ll be back at full power in a minute……ahhh, got it. Hmmmm, yep, No. 4 this time. Can you…?”

“Coming up” Desvelles bent and sort through the power components, selecting the right converter pack, then beginning to move up the ladder to where Tholins was. “Did you notice some odd comms traffic this morning? I was watching messages and I kept loosing the connection to Ukio Main.”

“Yeah, I did. Any idea what it could be? Ah, yep that’s the one. Thanks”

“No problem. Nah, no idea what it could be. Didn’t see any urgent messages, so I doubt….. uummmm… yes?” As he was climbing down, he noticed someone was there, someone he had never seen before. He reached ground level just as Tholins fired up the power generator and the new person had come completely into the barn flood lights. Desvelles was rather surprised to see it was a man in uniform, cap under his arm. He was even more taken aback when the uniformed man snapped to attention and saluted.

“Simon Desvelles?” he asked

“Who be wanting to know?” replied Simon.

“Sir, I am Captain Akram of the Arcan Protectorate. I hear your one of the main farmers in this area, yes?”

“Well, yes I am. What up Captain?”

“Sir, I need you to order all your workers to progress to Lowhold with all haste. We need to interview everyone”

“What?!!” exclaimed Tholins, thumping to the floor after sliding down the ladder. “For what reason could you possibly want the workers for? Are the other farms in the area been given similar requests?”

“It’s not a request sir, it’s a direct order from the Protectorate. Master Herder, there was a multiple murder at Lowbrow last night…”

“WHAT?!?!” Exclaimed Desvelles and Tholins at the same time. Both men wore expressions of extreme confusion.

“There was 5 humans and one unidentified alien murdered by a lone gunman at Blackbird’s Tapcafe and we need to ask questions to find out who did it. Can we expect your full co-operation sir..?”

“Umm… wah? Oh, yes, yes, of course! What would you want me to do?” asked Simon, sounding somewhat shell shocked.

“Call all your workers to Lowhold and all of your household. No one excepted and my apologies in advance Master Herdsman. We really can’t afford to leave any stone unexamined”

“Certainly. Tholins, put the place in a lockdown..”

“No need Sir. We have Protectorate soldiers ready to perform guard duties if you want, while you and your workers are at Lowhold.”

“Oh… well in that case, Everyone in one group to Lowhold Tholins.”

Both the herders walked out of the barn followed closely by the Captain. As Desvelles made the outside, he was rather taken aback by the number of speeders and the number of troops – he could have sworn 15 minutes ago there was no one within sight. The workers were already milling around in a group, confused and in some cases, quite frightened. Rivel stood off in front of the house, also with a look of fright on her face – as soon as she saw Simon, she ran to him and crashed into his arms.

“Simon… what’s going on?”

“I really don’t know Rivel… we all have to go to Lowhold today and I suspect we will find out there. Come on now, don’t be scared, I’m sure the Protectorate will clear this up” But his words he could tell bought no comfort. She still trembled under his touch. And likewise, he felt the first creeping sensation of fear himself. “Where is Jina?” He whispered in her ear.

“Jina? Inside. I suspect she’ll hide. Don’t tell anyone please Simon, it will be better if Jina stays hidden away.”

Puzzled, he drew back and looked deeply into his wife’s eyes, before replying. “For the moment. But if this has anything to do with you or her, please don’t hold back on me. I don’t want either of you in danger.”

“I… I will” she mumbled.

“Good. Allright everyone, Lowhold! Tholins, your driving. Keep the place well Captain”

“I will, Master Herdsman” The Protectorate Captain replied.

A few minutes later, only the soldier were left, the speeders transporting the workers and Desvelles were still viewable, but their engines had faded into the distance. Near one of the barns, a lone cloaked figure quite abruptly appeared. Features completely covered by what could have been mistaken for a monks cloak, he moved with a great deal of assurance, boldy marching past troopers as if they were not there – and for some reason, with a wave of the cloaked figure’s hand, he didn’t seem to be. It took only a minute to move to the front of the now locked house, but again, that didn’t stop him. A few tools drawn out of his pocket and the lock was defeated. He looked about from under his hood, movements seeming to be exaggerated, before he walked quietly inside. He closed the door behind him, pausing to seemingly listen in the silent home. He walked down the corridor, turned and then turned again, coming with quiet confidence to a certain door. He knocked quietly and spoke.

“Jina…. Open up. I know your in there”

A few seconds later, the young woman threw the door open, eyes wide, an expression of fury on her face – which dropped as the hooded figure threw back his hood, to unveil his face. Jina’s expression changed to surprise, to joy. “Why, I never expected….” She was about to speak more, but the cloaked man stopped her with a hand movement and his voice, deep and harsh came out, making her face break into anguish with his words.

“Your a bloody idiot Jina. How dare you disgrace the teaching with what you have done”

The words were like a physical blow to the young woman, stepping backwards and biting her lip. Tears began to well up in her eyes and she got out a hushed “I’m sorry….” before she turned her head downwards.

“SORRY!?! Wait until I get my hands on Raven, I’m going to really give her what for....” He paused in mid stride, suddenly aware that Jina was looking panic stricken at a holograph just behind on the wall of the cloaked man. He turned around, his eyes going like saucers as he saw the contents. His furious glare swung back onto Jina, who wished right at this point she could crawl into a hole and die.

--

The trip to Lowhold didn’t take long, mainly as the speeders the Arcan Protectorate Captain directed the herders to were military models, somewhat faster and more agile than the transports Desvelles owned. There had been a minor dispute as he had wanted to go with his workers in one of his own craft, but the Captain had prevailed.

“Ours would be much better and much more comfortable Master Herdsman. Besides, it’s easier to guarantee your safety this way”.

Desvelles had felt the hair on the back of his head tingle at that and he had stared at the officer in disbelief. “You have to be joking me Captain. No one would attack a speeder, not with so many Protectorate troops in the area!”

“No one would walk into a bar and shoot 6 beings dead either by that logic” was the reply. Desvelles mentally had to concede the Captain had a point. So here they were, inside an admittedly comfortable speeder, racing towards Lowhold. There was a fair bit of wind noise from the speed of their passage, which was nearly three times faster than anything in the Desvelles holdings could manage. Some of the younger workers were obviously impressed with the transport, asking questions of the soldiers who were accompanying them. Much to Simon’s surprise, the military types were quite talkative, one even going into a fairly extended debate with Gret, the farm head mechanic on the benefits of some propulsion system. Desvelles didn’t really understand a word of that, not being someone who cared much for anything that flew. If it worked and got him from point A to point B, it was good enough for him.

“Simon” His thoughts were interrupted with Rivel speaking quietly to him.

“Yes?”

“Where’s Jina?” she asked.

“Ummm….” He looked about, before turning back to face Rivel with a puzzled looked on his face. “I don’t know… you didn’t get her?”

“No, I was thinking you would”

“Oh. Well I guess we can’t do much about that now. I doubt she would know much about this anyway or be of assistance” Simon replied.

“Mmmm” She turned away, to stare out of the window and the passing fields, rushing by. In the reflection of the plastiglass it could be seem the expression of concern and fear was slowly changing to one of thoughtful contemplation. No one was looking at her, or even taking much notice of her, which right now suited her fine. She didn’t really feel like being interrupted. Jina quite well knew this expression of Rivel’s and knew what it meant. Simon didn’t, mainly because he never seen it before. He wasn’t really taking much notice right now anyway, which was basically leaving her be in her memories.

“Mother?”

She turned around, looking at the girl… no young woman who was standing at her door. How quick she’s growing up, Rivel reflected, feeling some sort of a loss. She had grown up very much like what Jina was…. “Yes Jina?”

The red headed girl was already dressed in the emerald green that set off her eyes so well, flowers interwoven in her hair. On this day, she had given in to Rivel’s wishes and dressed like the beautiful woman she was showing signs of being. “Are you sure you really want to do this?”

A sigh. “Oh please Jina, don’t argue, not today of all days. Haven’t we been through this already and battled the issue to death enough?”

A smile “No, no – I’ve admitted defeat already, because what I said wont change your mind. What I meant was, are you sure with him? From what Father told me, this is not something that you can ever back out of”

Again, she sighed. “And well I know what he thought on that, it’s been on my mind. I thought I could have Kings and Senators, or even a Jedi. It could be for wealth or power. But in the end Jina…. Simon’s just a herder. He’s got nothing to really offer me, not money, not power or privilege. All he’s ever offered is himself and if I was any younger, I’d not have accepted that” She stood up, hearing the red dress she was wearing rustle. Her hair had been well styled and like Jina, she had flowers entwined in it. She looked herself in the full length mirror, hardly believeing the vision she was seeing set out before her. No memory or flash had ever shown this… and she found it hard to believe the woman of beauty could possibly be her. Jina crossed the floor to join her.

“You look wonderful”

“Thank you Jina. For once in my life, this is what I want to be”

Jina looked over Rivel, before giggling. “You changed….” Her hands touched the bust, before she burst out laughing. Rivel smiled, absolutely beaming her hand likewise touching the fabric near her chest.

“Don’t you think it’s appropriate?”

“It’s just funny! Why?”

“Cause it makes me feel more of a woman and just because I’ve got my man, doesn’t mean I don’t want to look as attractive as possible for him, nor do I?” Jina put a hand to her mouth and giggled again. “Excuse me young lady, but if you marry, you’ll understand too. Now stop laughing!” But Rivel felt like she was going to burst out laughing, only managing to stay composed with difficulty. Jina finally got over her giggling fit and in a gesture that surprised Rivel and gratified her, Jina placed one arm around Rivel’s hips. “Thank you”

“For what?” Rivel replied, surprised.

“For being my mother”

The older woman was stunned speechless for a moment and it took a few seconds to find her voice. “Why… thank you Jina” She looked again at the reflection, before her hands moved to the back of her neck, moving to undo a small clip. The clip was attached to a chain, the chain to a medallion, the medallion was an attachment to her past, to a life she should have had, but was snatched from her before birth. She hesitated, before reaching over and dropping the amulet onto her dressing table. Jina stared, puzzled.

“Why did you take that off?”

“Because… I’m no longer that person Jina. Well…. I guess…. I’m as ready as I will ever be now. Come on, it’s time”

And indeed it was. Five minutes later, with Jina as her maid in waiting, she had stepped into the small room, to see Simon waiting. She saw his intake of air as he looked upon her and his eyes shine with simple and honest pleasure. And not long after that, as his lips touched hers to seal the covenant they had just made to each other as they were wed, she knew in her heart her old life was indeed over and in one joyous moment, she had become Rivel Desvelles and a whole new life had truly begun.

I never told him, she though. Please, I don’t want to tell him now. Let this please be not what I think it is. I’ve known too much pain and loneliness to have what I have here taken away. She stole a glance at her husband of only a year, who was conversing with one of his workers at that point. Please, let this be a false alarm. I don’t want to have to run and lose Simon… What was worse was that right now, she knew just how right Jina had been, to fall in love was foolishness. But her decision was made and she was going to stand by it, no matter what lay ahead.

A few minutes later, the transport began to slow, beginning to near the area near the chasm where Desvelles had the corral and drop point. The motors wound down as the transports repulsorlifts took over, floating the craft over the edge of the chasm and gently floating down until it landed with a small thump at the base of the cliff. Desvelles looked outwards, past Rivel to the outside. The town of Lowhold looked the much as it did yesterday, the path they had walked down the night before now displayed, a grey dirt gravel in-between green fields. Just the same as it always did, except for the space craft now landed next to the outlying buildings, plus the number of beings milling around a tent that had obviously just been set up, complete with Protectorate markings.

As he looked out, the ramp of the transport that was somewhere behind him opened with a hiss and the Protectorate Captain stood up.

“Again, we apologise for this, so we’ld like to make this inconvenience as quick as possible. I will stress none of you are suspects, this is just to try to identify anything strange happening in the last few days. Any strange occurrences or new arrivals, beings you have never seen before, please do you best to remember and describe as fully as possible when your turn for interview arrives. I would prefer you didn’t speak to anyone else from now on until you are interviewed. After that, there will be a place set up so you can have a meal and a drink where you are free to pretty much do as you please, as long as you stay in the area until we are finished. Any questions?” he stated.

There was a few murmurs of “No” and some shaking of heads. Tholins leaned over from his seat, bringing his face close to Desvelles ear. “Seems reasonable to me”

“Wha..?” Desvelles snapped his head around, bringing his eyes back into focus. “Oh… yes… yes it is”

“Simon? Is there something wrong?” asked Tholins, concern etched on his face.

“Well…. I just remembered. I nearly bumped into someone I had never seen before last night. Excuse me, I better tell them about this” Desvelles got up quickly and made his way to the ramp, exiting quickly and moving to the tent. Tholins and Rivel exchanged looks.

“Any idea what that was about Rivel?”

“No, he never mentioned seeing anyone last night – then again no one knew something like this had taken place. I wonder whom he saw” she added, quietly to herself. She stayed seated while all the rest of the worked disembarked, heading as a group to the tent Simon had gone to. She looked about, making sure there was none of the Ukio locals onboard, seeing only the Protectorate Captain remaining. Her hand went to a purse she kept at her belt, withdrawing a small wallet. She stood up, walking over to the soldier.

“Excuse me” she interrupted.

“Yes Madam, what can I do for you?” he asked.

“Show me where the killing occurred”

‘Sorry, I really can’t. It’s a restricted area and no locals are allowed near.”

“I’m not a local Captain” Her fingers opened the wallet, then held what was inside up for the soldier’s inspection.

His eyes almost popped, before he snapped to attention and saluted. Annoyed, she ordered the soldier to relax. “I don’t want to be given away Captain! At ease! Now, can you get me there without being identified?”

“Well we do have a spare set of battle armour and face plate. Will that do, Sir?”

“Good. Lead the way Captain”. A few minutes later, the Protectorate Captain came down the ramp, followed by a heavily armoured figure, complete with the unique rifle of the Protectorate. They both moved quickly along the path, the armoured figure’s boots crunching loudly on the gravel. Minutes later, they both came to the place that had been roped off and where a guard detachment had been placed.

“Order everyone out of the tapcafe” snarled the voice behind the helmet’s faceplate.

“I cant do that without authorisation from the local Commander” replied one of the young men on guard, himself with steely and flat eyes. The armoured figure mived it’s fingers, handing over a card. The soldier on guard looked it over without a change in expression.

“One moment while I authenticate. Scanner please Jorkins” Another hard eyed soldier handed over a device that the first guard held up to eye level of the face plate, pressed a button and then inserted the id that had been handed over. A few lights flashed, then the scanner beeped. The card came out, the trooper taking hold of it and handing it back, then saluting smartly. “It will be my pleasure Sir, One moment please” He raised a comm. Unit to his lips and spoke, giving the orders required. Turning his attention back to the armoured figure, he saluted again. “All clear. Have a good day Commander” The armoured figure nodded, before moving towards the front doors of the tapcafe. Jorkins stared at the back of the figure as it marched into the building.

“Who did the id say it was? That voice sounded female to me”

“The id just said Special Forces, The Lone Wolves and rank as Commander. Nothing else. If it was my guess whom it was, I think that was Elieen Cross”

Jorkins eyes bugged. “@#%$, Commander Cross herself? Out here? Man, if she’s here this must be big. We might even get to see some action!”

The first guard grinned. “Hell yeah. Did I ever tell I saw Cross in a fire fight once?”

“True? Is she just like what the stories say?”

“Nope, better. She dismembered a whole platoon with just that Pike she carries in an eye blink. Man, I doubt a Jedi could have done it”

Both of the guards continued to chat, passing the boredom, while at the same time, staying mentally alert, while the armoured figure moved inside the tapcafe, out of sight.

>
The black figure allowed the doors to close behind, examined the room to make sure it was devoid of anyone else. Once it was certain there was nothing else, the gun was placed on the nearest table and then with firm fingers, the helmet clasps were levered off and Rivel Desvelles places the helmet next to it

“Damn it.. who the hell wore that thing last? That smelt worse than the Coruscant sewerage system.. yuk”

The two humans, both in camouflage combat clothes, walked quietly down the huge pipe, deep under the huge buildings that made up the landscape of the Republic’s capital. She was following a medium height man, dark short cropped hair and a neatly trimmed beard, with unnaturally sharp eyes and hearing. They came to a tunnel branch, where the man stopped, cocked his head to listen, then with a hand wave, indicated for her to take point. She pokes her tongue out as she past, he replied with a sardonic grin, however his eyes were alive with mischief, much like they had been during their association over the years. Except, where once he was uncertain and shy, now he was confident and assertive. Still, there was the boyish look on his face and the honest appeal .....which was so out of place on the type of man she knew him capable of being…

Rivel shook her head. Sometimes, it was weird how smells could bring back memories, sometimes those images were unwelcome reminders of past pain, however this time they had bought forth the heist her and Dapth had done on one of the criminal gangs that populated Coruscant. Ahhh, I wonder what would Simon think if I ever told him of that escapade? She thought as she stripped off the armour suit’s gloves. Probably not a lot, she reflected. Her husband would hear the most incredible news from far off and just shrug. Nothing really mattered to him out side his own personal world and thant was in part why she was attracted to him in the first place. He offered something even Aaron never could. It was alos a joy to have your love returned, unlike….

No. If she started thinking about Him she would more than likely do something stupid. And now was not the time for stupid, nor to stay still, mesmerised by the past.

What’s happening to you girl? Your getting soft or something? Get yourself together and find out what happened here!
She seemed to became more alert as she began to look around the brightly lit room. Even though the bodies had been removed, the place still bore evidence of violence. On the floor were smashed plates and cutlery, chairs had been toppled and a table upended. On the far wall there was a smear of blood, more was on the floor. Immediately, her senses noted how wrong that was – blasters don’t spill blood, as they cauterise the wound. Already, this fact alone was ringing a quiet alarm in her head. Looking further around, she could see notes and a few data-pads on the bar, which she moved over to go look at. On the pads were views of the dead, which she looked at. Mainly human, but one alien. Each had a neat blood patch where their heart would be, except for the alien, whom had a hole in it’s forehead…

She paused. A Hole? What, had the killer used a throwing weapon? This definantly was no blaster. She already was having half a suspicion, but the fact there was still something recognisable ruled out a rail gun. In her travels, she had found out the NRSF rail guns were some of the most wanted weaponry, given their sheer killing power, to the point where they cost more than spaceships – if you could get one. She had heard how jealously the NRSF protected it’s technology, going to great lengths to hunt down anyone who stole one.

Still…. There were other projectile weapons in the galaxy

The hand pointed to the various handguns. “Explosive propelled slug thrower devices, most of these, compared to a blaster, quite underpowered and can’t breech armour or a shield. All are projectile weapons, mainly from primitive cultures who don’t know how to harness energy. Except… this one. The Mandalore. The only truly effective non Force using warrior against a Jedi. A people of great skill, but more importantly, they found a critical weakness in the Jedi. A Jedi depends on his or her sabre to deflect of return blaster bolts and thence a blaster is next to useless. However, a bullet cant be deflected, or returned. Unless a Jedi is truly skilled, their blade will miss the projectile entirely, or even if it does, the projectile melts into a fine spray of hot metal. It’s only a matter of time before the criminal element works this out too and it’s only lucky that projectile guns are exceedingly rare, more often than not unreliable and generally an inferior weapon and a waste of time.

She glanced down as her foot touched something on the floor. A small, cylindrical object, blackened on the open end. She picked it up, gave it a sniff. Quite abrupty, she turned around, surveying the room again, it all making connections in her mind.

Whoever the gunman was, he stood here and cut down all six in the time it took for them to draw their own weapons. Gunman used an projectile based gun, likely because that was what he had at hand. Which meant it was unlikely these killed humans were it’s real target. I wonder…. Who would use a projectile gun unless their real target is a Jedi…. Oh no,,,

“Jina!”

She turned on her heel and ran back to where the helmet was. She slammed it on, only bothering to fix it loosely, She picked up the gun, then exited through the doors. She looked about, before seeing the Captain they had arrived with. She strode over.

“Captain, I need a fast speeder and I need the Master Herdsman Desvelles. I need them now”

“Right away Sir! You, organise a speeder for the Commander. I’ll get the Herdsman myself. Wait here please”

She waited, impatient, while the speeder was bought over and Simon came as well. Her husband was taken aback by the smaller, but dangerous looking figure in the armour.

“This is Master Herdsman Desvelles, Sir” stated the Captain, saluting smartly.

“Very good” She turned to Simon, her unseen face twisting in almost pain. “Herdsman, my name is Commander Cross. You are to accompany me now”

“Okay, but can I… “

“NO. You WILL come with me NOW”. The barked order was like a slap to Simon and to the soldiers nearby, leaving them reeling at it’s power and authority. Looking stricken, Simon began to move to the speeder that was now idling nearby. “Captain, I’ll signal you in two hours. If I have not, go to this Herdsman’s farm and wipe it off the face of the planet” Simon turned in shock.

“You cant…”

“I can, I have and I will if you don’t shut up, Herdsman. Now move it” The farmer looked distressed in his eyes, but still nodded and moved to the passenger side of the two man speeder. The armour clad figure moved to the drivers side, munched the button to allow the canopy to slide back and allow entry. Simon climbed in gingerly, while the black clad figure got in with a spring. A few seconds later, the canopy slammed shut, the turbines whined up, and the speeder began to accelerate. It used it’s repulsor lifts to float to the top of the chasm, then absolutely slammed the throttles wide open, to blast into the horizion with a booming roar.

The troops on the ground – those ones near the Captain at any rate – began to chatter.

“Was that really…?”

“Wow…”

“Did that person say Cross…?”

“Hey Captain! Was that really Elieen Cross?”

The Captain nodded “Yeah, I think it really was. You ever get the feeling we may be on the edges of something really big, if she’s dealing with this personally?”

“Well, maybe there’s another reason she grabbed that farmer, but I don’t want to be gutted for suggesting it” suggested someone else.

“You’ld be lucky if she did just that to you, if you did. Right, let’s continue on. Move it!”

--

The speeder was racing across the plain at a speed well beyond anything Desvelles had ever been and right now, he was feeling distinctly nervous. He had glanced at this black clad vision from hell out of the corner of his eye a couple of times and was seriously beginning to wonder if his life was in danger. The hands on the control surfaces were sure and accurate, holding the vehicle well in hand, despite it running at maximum velocity. It was however, still some relief as the pilot allowed the craft to rise a few meters and clicked on the autopilot, which automatically slowed the speeder down , but allowed anyone to fly hands free. The armoured being, after first making sure the speeder was indeed doing what it should, took out the gun it had taken. Fast hands unloaded two devices from the rifle, gave them a check, then slammed them back in. The gun went onto it’s lap as it reached up and touched the sides of it’s helmet….

Not it’s – the human shook its head and Simon could see it was a her. A rather tough looking woman, but with features looking like…

No… not looking like… WAS. Somehow in the time he had left her in the transport, until she had appeared with the Protectorate Captain, his Rivel had been transformed from soft wife to harsh warrior.

“Rivel?!! What in the name of God…?” He stared in horror as he took in the sudden and incredible change.

She didn’t look at him. “Simon, I don’t have time to explain. Jina’s life could be in danger. For the moment, don’t question. I’ll explain if we get out of this alive”

By the tone of her words, he could tell she wasn’t joking. “From… what?” He asked with a good deal of uncertainty.

“I told you the Galaxy was a dangerous place, yes? There’s lots of things it could be. Pray that it’s not what I think what it could be” She placed the gun besides her, then flicked the autopilot off, slamming the throttles wide open again. Simon was pushed back by G-Forces, but even so, was hardly able to take his eyes off his wife. He had been certain she had secrets to tell, now he was beginning to wish he had been insistent and found out what they were - Because it was looking like they were a good deal worse than anything he could have imagined.

About half an hour passed with only the wind noise and the roar of the turbines to break it, half an hour that felt like years as Simon began to dread what could possibly be ahead. Images of his land flashed by until, far too soon, his own home began to come into view. As it grew closer, Rivel made a small course detour as the speeder began to slow, heading not for the farm but for the barns and storage sheds. A minute later, out of sight of the house, it drifted to a stop, with Rivel slamming back the canopy and leaping out. She had the gun to her hip a blink after that, circling around, before relaxing a touch.

“We are going to walk nice a casual to the front door and your going to unlock it. After that, your going to stay put where I tell you to. I don’t want you in the crossfire if shooting breaks out” She at that point began to unclip the armour, allowing it to clatter to the ground, revealing she was wearing her normal smock and pants underneath. She seemed to search the speeder, before finding a duffel bag and shoving the gun into it.

“Can’t have anyone in the house seeing I’m bearing a military assault rifle, can I?” she said in answer to the expression on Simon’s face.

“I’d never believe you could use that” he replied, saying what he had been thinking for quite some minutes. Up to an hour ago, he would never have believed she had ever picked up a gun in her life. Now, he had seen she knew very well how to use even the most advanced military model.

“To be honest, I wish you didn’t know” she said, taking a look around the building, looking over the path from there to the house. “Right, lets go”

“Do I have a choice?”

Rivel turned around, surprised. “No Simon, you don’t. You don’t know anything about potential situations like this”

“And I suppose you do?”

There was some bitterness, some trepidation – and something else. Maybe regret on his voice. She didn’t miss it. “I’m sorry Simon, believe me I am. However for now you really will have to trust me on this” She said quietly, looking straight into his eyes, her stare meeting his. He stared back, for 10 seconds, before making his decision.

“Allright. But your not going to hold anything back from me when you explain” Somehow, Simon pondered, Even the tall stories Fregory told will pale beside what Rivel might say.

“Don’t worry, I will. Come on now, we can’t delay in case anyone in the house is suspicious”

As they began to walk, Rivel placed her arm within his. He didn’t resist, but she felt alien. Not soft and alluring, but tough and hard. Desvelles had to admit he was now confused almost beyond thought. Nothing in his experience had prepared for today, with the constant surprises being flung at him. He was really beginning to wonder what else could possibly happen and wild thoughts, fuelled by the unreal stories Fregory told, flashed through his mind. Rivel began to make small talk, which he replied distantly to. His mind was not on what the latest crop in the North Terrace was going to be, nor on the nerfs in the East. He was more wondering if he was going to get out of today alive.

They made the front door, which Simon reached up to unlock via his private code, but was stopped by Rivel, who examined the door itself.

“What are you doing?” he asked.

“Looking for signs of all clear that Jina and I leave here”

What??? “Rivel, what’s that supposed to mean?”

“Simple. If someone has broken in, our signs would be disturbed. Good. We can proceed. Open the door Simon”

He didn’t feel he had much choice. He tapped in his private code, heard the door unlatch. Moving a hand forward, he pressed lightly, feeling the door swing away from his touch.

“Jina may have the all clear signs, but your going to follow me. If we meet anyone, run, understand? I know your a big man, but your not a fighter” As she was speaking, she took the gun out of it’s bag, flicking off the safety. “Well?”

“Umm, yep. What about you?”

“What do you think this thing is for, proctology? Come on, I want to see if Jina is okay”

He sighed. Now he was clearly a tow along and for some reason that really offended him. There however was no time to complain as Rivel stiffened, suddenly lifting the rifle in a ready to fire position. “Quiet. Something’s wrong”

Simon’s heart skipped several beats. He allowed Rivel to get a few steps ahead, bending over to pick up the first object he could possibly use as a weapon – the coat stand. There were clear signs of a struggle in the hall, the stand had been tipped over and a chair was broken. Rivel was clearly now on high alert, finger stroking the trigger of her gun, head and eyes in constant motion. She advanced down the hall silently, until she came to the kitchen door. It had been clearly damaged. She used her rifle to push the door open further, then carefully scanned the room, or more precisely, the remains. Chairs had been smashed, the table was broken in half. And as Simon looked over her shoulder, they both saw red hair on the floor, hiding the face of Jina, lying prone and immobile. A cut on her arm had oozed blood and it was obvious from her torn clothes, she had taken a fearful battering. Uttering a cry of horror, Simon surged forward.

“Simon.. NO!!! IT’S…..” yelled Rivel

A highly ominous clicking sound bought Desvelles to a sliding stop. He turned slowly to where the sound came from, to see a man leaning back on a chair in a corner. His face was partially covered by his hat, he had a poncho, black pants and battered boots, with what seemed like sharp silver stars on the heels. The feet were crossed and resting on another chair. One hand moved casually, scraping a match on the wall and lighting it. The flame was drawn to the cigar in the clenched mouth, the stranger puffed, then fanned the match out. A haze of blue smoke was exhaled as the stranger tilted his head back, showing that he had brown eyes that were squinted as they glared at him. His face carried a weeks worth of beard.

But the thing that really caught Simon’s attention was the hand gun pointed right at Jina. A rather large and dangerous gun, that Simon could quite well imagined had been used last night to murder six beings.

“Drop the hardware lady, or the girl is the first to die”

The gunman slowly changed aim, pointing the gun directly at Simon’s head.

“Or maybe this nerf boy. Your choice”

The voice was harsh and rough, low, deep and powerful. It chilled Simon right to the bone, because he was certain the gunman could and would kill him in a blink. He dropped the coat stand, before letting his hands come up in a gesture of supplication

“Please, we don’t want trouble…”

BLAM!!!

The gun blazed flame and smoke, Simon could feel something scream past his ear, too late, he instinctively ducked. He realised a few seconds later he had his eyes closed, teeth clenched and in a half ducking position, hands covering his head. A scream of “NOO!” and the harsh growl saying something. A clatter. He dared to open his eyes, to see Rivel, hands being raised and beginning to walk, also swearing under her breath, slowly toward where Simon stood, her eyes blazing in anger. There was something else in the way she led herself that he wasn’t quite sure of – like as well as seething with anger, there was a backdrop of fear, not for herself but for Simon and Jina.

The cigar moved slightly between the clenched teeth of the gunman as he continued to glare. Simon came back up to his full height, glancing behind him to see the hole in the wall behind him.

“What is it you want?” It took more bravery than he realised he had to say just those simple words and he had to admit, he was scared witless.

“Well, ain’t that the question now? How about Shut Up for beginners?” The thumb pulled back something on the gun, the click giving his words an emphasis that send the blood chilling in the farmer.

Simon felt Rivel close to him, but still felt his heart in his mouth, the sour taste of his own fear becoming more and more pronounced. He was quite certain that unless this man had any sense of reasonableness, they were all about to die.

--

It could have been any number of urban area they had seen, any number of slums, upscale bocks, abandoned or under construction buildings. As per normal it was night, the darkness added to by a ferocious winter storm. On this planet it didn’t get cold enough to snow, but with the wind blasting hard enough to make walking difficult, there seemed not enough clothes to keep the chill out of the bones. On this night, civilians were not walking the streets, hardly any traffic floated or rolled on the streets.

It was in fact unnaturally quiet, except for the hostile elements. There was even very, very few lights and certainly no road lamps to illuminate the darkness, giving the whole locale a ominous touch. The unnatural quiet and the almost complete darkness just served to emphasis something was very, very wrong in this part of the city.

As lightning crashed, part of the reason could be seen on top of one of the tall buildings, a figure stood in heavy weather combat fatigues, carrying a shoulder mounted missile launcher. The rooftop was lit up by the flashes and it could be seen that there were more soldiers, all similarly clothed, but carrying heavy assault blasters and stationed on three of the corners of the building. The one with the missile was looking down on a roadway intersection, across the top of the smaller building that was between the one he was standing on and the crossroads with a set of macrobinoculors. The rain made vision difficult, in fact made the normal night vision devices next to useless, but he could see clearly enough to be able to radio back into his base and declare the area was still all clear.

“Not a damn thing moving. It’s a morgue”

“Same here too Command” came through someone else that was standing guard

“Acknowledged. Report in fifteen again”

“Yeah, how about you come up here and look for your frelling self and get your ass soaked” muttered the soldier after he switched off the comm. Unit. Still, he continued to keep lookout, scanning the roads at the base of the building and what he could see of the roads further on. “Who’d be frelling moron enough to be out on a night like this anyway?” He asked himself out loud, looking over the road that ran north-south underneath and past his position.

Two blocks away on the street that ran east-west, 15 dark figures could be seen running and ducking between bits of cover and shelter. The lightning occasionally lit the figures up, revealing an eclectic group of aliens and humans. They were spread out, until the human on point came to the main entrance of the smaller building, which was on the far side from the guards on the roof of the larger one. The group of figures came to a stop under the shelter of the main doorway, 1 Bothan, fur wet and clinging to his skin, a sour look on his face, a lizard type being, huge and muscled, tongue flicking to taste the air. A Cizerack, looking around with bright and alert eyes. A highly ugly looking wolf-man that gave a low snarl at the thing that could be best described as a winged gargoyle with lots of teeth and sinister red eyes that glowed. A highly modified battle droid that looked much, much nastier than what it did coming out of the factory that made it. 9 humans, 8 male and one disguised in full dark red body armour and helmet, which was also the smallest of the group.

One of the humans wiped water from his face in disgust. “Who was the smart -DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR- that got us out in this weather?”

“Would you prefer I got you a warm bath?” snarled the Transdorsian Wolf-Man.

“Well gee, could you? I’d like that!”

“Shut Up!” growled the figure in the helmet. “Loaf, those transports parked at the intersection”

Olaf "Loaf" Joes, the group’s explosives expert and a marksman, raised his sniping rifle up and looked at the indicated craft that were resting on the ground at the intersectio through the gun’s scope. “Standard military model” He clicked a switch on the scope and stared through it for a few more seconds. “No life signs”

The Bothan, Felyeh "Broom" Res'lay, the group’s in command officer snapped his fingers, pointed at the Transdorsian and the Cizerack. Another hand signal and they both nodded, picking themselves up and sprinting for the corner of the building nearest the intersection. The wolf-man poked his head around the corner, looking up and down the north-south road, before waving the Cizerack on. The large cat-creature sprinted across the wet premacrete, moving with the natural grace and silence of his race. He poked his gun around the corner, ready to give the Transdorsian cover if needed as he too sprinted across the road. A few seconds later, they had a door to the building open and were inside. A double click in the headset Res’lay was wearing indicated no resistance.

“They’re in. The rest of you know your tasks – lets go”

The armoured human clicked it’s fingers, pointing at the gargoyle, then pointing at the door. It seemed to nod, before twisting it’s head violently as it opened it’s mouth, flinging a large ball of green spit at the door lock. A second later, the door began to sizzle and smoke, the metal melting as the gargoyle spat four more times. Huge holes in the door surface appeared and bits dropped to the floor with small splats, the locks melting into goop.

“Geez, that’s still gross, no matter how many times you see it” said Jettik Arden, code breaker and electronics whiz, cradling the large rifle he carried in his arms.

“Yeah, I’d hate to have to pick my nose if my snot was like that, my whole damn hand might melt off” replied the man they just simply knew as Hudson.

“How many times do I have to tell you to shut the frell up! Right you two, point duty, now get in there!!” growled Res’lay

“Awww @#%$” Despite the complaint, both soldiers pointed their matching guns, moving forward. Hudson pushed the door open with his gun, moving gingerly around the smoking bits of door on the floor and going into the darkness beyond, sliding over to one of the walls, Arden moving to the other one opposite.

“General, corner – you sure you want that Sir?”

“Don’t worry Broom, my new buddy and I want it” Major General Nathan West, Commander of the New Republic Special Forces replied, reaching up and patting the large pipe-like device on his back. The Bothan shrugged.

“Your choice Sir. Good luck”

West nodded, before darting off into the rain, skidding to a stop at the corner the Cizerack and the Transdorsian went to, but unlike them, only peeked up the road before ducking back and removing the pipe device from his shoulder.

The armoured figure snapped it’s fingers again, pointed at the Gargoyle and the lizard. Two taps on it’s armoured chest with a fist and they both nodded, understanding the unspoken signal.

>

The lizard moved it’s claw to the activation switch of the 2 meter long single barrelled weapon, which was held in place by straps to the lizard’s torso. A power pack was on the alien’s back, with lines leading to the back of gun. The gargoyle began to move forward, wings flicked back and arms close to the ground, making itself seem a good deal smaller than what it really was. The black armoured figure drew out a long and pointed Force pike, holding it in one hand, a small cylinderal device in the other. It followed the gargoyle and the lizard into the doorway, the darkness inside consuming them in a few steps.

“Loaf, you Spannik, Hones, and Shaw, front door welcome party. Move it”

The four men nodded, also moving into the darkness inside. The remaining humans came a bit closer together.

“Alley?” asked Corporal Ryan Hicks.

“Yep. Let’s go”

The group also went into the darkened hallway, automatically spreading out along the walls. As they occasionally past doorways, there would be a pause as they would check what lay inside out. More often than not, there would be a small pool of acid that indicated a lock had been melted, the door already opened to show nothing. However, about 30 meters in, there was two bodies, one with an obvious knife wound in his chest. The group continued to where the hall went into an intersection, one way lead to a set of stairs going up, the other going along the wall to a door, where Spannik stood. He gave a hand signal that meant all clear, before disappearing outside. Res’lay held his hand up, counted off fifteen seconds, then dropped it in a signal to move. The team ran forward to the door, before likewise exiting into the narrow dark alley, awash with water and garbage. Another hand signal and they moved to a door on the taller building, marked ‘Service’. Without comment or order, Hicks pulled out a small lock pick, having the door spring open within five seconds. The Bothan leapt inside first, his natural speed and dexterity allowing him to get the drop on the guard inside. A swift underhand cast sent the steel blade of a knife into the throat of one guard, while Hicks had a taser that dealt with thew second with a soft crackle of electrical discharge. Res’lay pointed at a passive faced human, who was chewing on gum, then to a hooded figure, who nodded and took point.

--

West looked upwards, watching the rain come tumbling down. It was one of the most rotten nights he ever had the displeasure to be in and in normal circumstances he wouldn’t be anywhere even looking like outside for any money. However, this was a night like you couldn’t imagine for perfect sneaking weather. Dark, lots of noise and the rain hiding infrared signatures, plus the wind would be making any guards thinking about staying warm and not concentrating on their job fully.

click click

The brief signal sounded quietly in the headset West was wearing, meaning the Cizerack and the Transdorsian were in position.

Tap Tap

The men slated for the front of the building were in postion.

scritch scritch

Broom signalling all clear and to proceed on signal. West hefted the pipe like weapon, pressed two buttons, waited for the lights to flash green, opened one end and inserted a bulky finned round. He shut the weapon and watched as the indicator flashed red – armed. The General looked out onto the road, picking the spot he would run to when the signal to move was given

--

The three eclectic beings came to a narrow crossing, running above the alley, between the two buildings. Resistance had been light and only the gargoyle had needed to deal with anybody, which it did with cold blooded efficiency. The dark armoured figure stared down the tunnel, before turning to the lizard. It shook it’s head, making a hand sign and a snarl in it’s own language.

Too small, like we thought it could be.

The gargoyle replied in a quiet, drawn out scream that was it’s own native language

Go to window and jump across. Climb wall

The armoured figure seemed to be in thought, before replying “We saw a window back 10 paces. We’ll go look”.

They went back to the window, the gargoyle spitting and dissolving the transparisteel opening. The lizard took a quick look out and to the alley, 5 floors below. The distance across wasn’t much, less than 2 meters. Taking scant regard of the window, which was still bubbling and smoking from the acid. The lizard stepped up onto the ledge and leapt. Holding the gun it had steady in one hand, the other and it’s feet stretched out, grappling for grip on the wall. It slipped down a bit before claws managed to get a purchase. The gargoyle flicked outwards, landing above the lizard and then skittering up the wall, almost looking as much at ease climbing as it did walking. The armoured figure removed climbing hooks from it’s belt, resheathed the Pike and placed the cylinder back on the belt.

It took a step back and leapt across, climbing hooks biting and securing the figure. The lizard was already climbing swiftly and two floors above.

“Trust me to be paired up with these two”

Much slower, it began to climb as well. 3 minutes later, it reached the top of the wall. The lizard was patiently waiting, while the gargoyle was hanging off the ledge with just one foot, looking completely at home.

A double click of the comm. Unit announced they were in position

--

Out the front of the building, two guards stood on either side of the large stairs that lead to the well lit entrance to the taller building, facing north. Unlike the smaller building, whose entrance faced south, there was no shelter here from the wind and driving rain. Although the street was reasonably well lit, there was still shadows aplenty.

But even so, shadows don’t normally move and grab guards, dragging them back into darkness. A short but quiet struggle later, the four men lead by Loaf slinked to the edges of the stairs. He reached into his backpack, removing something that looked like a piece of plastic with wires coming out of it. Spannik and Hones grabbed the guards wet weather gear and guns, then thus disguised, took their places out on ‘duty’/ Shaw likewise took out a device similar to what Loaf had and they both go tot work, placing several more devices.

A minute later, Loaf signalled all ready

--

There was an overbridge connecting the two buildings in a walkway. On one side, there was two guards, talking quietly. Hudson ducked back behind the corner he and Arden were presently at.

“Two of them, cant see across the bridge from here”

“Should be four, according to what I’ve been able to pick up on their communications” Arden took out of a top pocket a small dart gun, without looking pointed it around the corner and pulled the trigger. A small steel dart was fired by silent electro-propulsion, flitting across the airspace to hit a wall somewhere he couldn’t see with a clatter. The two soldiers turned to face the noise, Hudson ran across the corridor to the other side and hid in the shadows again. The guards seemed to think the noise was a rodent, they relaxed and recommenced their discussion as Hudson gave the in position signal.

--

The final signal came in, Hicks nodded.

The Bothan reached up, paused for a second, then scratched the mouthpiece of his headset three times.

GO

--

West heard the signal, took a deep breath, then picked himself and ran to the point he had chosen, right in the middle of the street, in complete and clear view of anyone watching. He slid to a stop, hefted his weapon upwards, took aim at the solitary figure on the tall building’s rook he could now see. Fingers pressed the trigger, a gout of flame came from the rear of the pipe, a pillar of fire exploding outwards and upwards.

--

The guard with the rocket launcher took a second to see the man way below, stationary on the street way below. Reaction time already slowed by the biting cold and the rain, his fingers fumbled for his weapon as the figure on the ground seemed to flare and something came rushing at the guard..

“OOOOHHHHHHH SHHHIITTTT!”

--

The rocket propelled grenade raced upwards, when precisely 2 meters above the now reacting guard, it broke apart with a ‘pft’, spraying the immediate area with a gluggy fluid. A detonator, precisely timed to give the liquid time to spread, lit up.

Technically, it was called SPF1200. West liked the other name better – fuel-Air Explosive. The liquid was spread out and mixed with air, before ignited, creating a fireball and an explosive hit three times bigger than the equivalent sized normal detonations. He saw the fireball consume everything within an 5 meter radius, and blow part of the corner of the building off, crashing debris to the street far below.

“GO! GO!” He yelled into his headset, running back to the cover of the smaller building, beginning to reload the launcher as he did

--

There had been just a single word before the huge explosion rocked the roof, the shockwave knocking the closest guard off his feet, others stumbling.

“Bloody hell, what was that?” cried out one sentry.

The clatter of heavy weaponry opening up from across the street suddenly drew their attention, the Cizerack and the Transdorsian breaking two windows in the building across the street, filling the air with rapid blaster fire. The rooftop sentries Either ducked (if they were on the closest side to the firing) or turned, distracted. As the troops found cover to return fire, the guards on the far corner suddenly felt themselves lifted off their feet, before being flung off the roof by a winged shadow, filled with malevolent red eyes and teeth. Another shadow came over the ledge, bringing to bear a huge gun on the exposed backs of the troops. A claw tip pressed a trigger, the gun blazed with energy, a solid line that was swung back and forward, cutting apart anything it touched. Fires broke out in the beam’s aftermath.

The armoured human managed to get over the ledge and onto the roof, to see the gargoyle flinging the last surviving guard off the roof. An explosion rocked the building, knocking the lizard off balance. As the roar died down, the armoured human took out the cylinder, pressed the activate button. The now revealed light sabre burnt a red, as the figure cut a hole in the roof, then with a hand signal, disappeared through the hole.

--

As soon as the echoing blast of West’s FAE missile the ‘guards’ at the front immediately did what the real guards would do – move outwards slightly to see what was going on and appraise the threat. Two more ‘guards’ joined them, alert and rifles in hand. Some seconds later, troops began to gather in the foyer, gathering to get orders and for deployment.

Loaf, still dressed as one of the ‘guards’, raised a remote detonator and pressed the button.

BOOM

The directional charges blew apart the foyer and steps, scattering shrapnel, bringing down the ceiling. As the debris began to settle, Loaf pointed

“We’re on! Go, Go!”

The four ran for the ruined entranceway. A survivor saw them coming, only to be met by a rail gun projectile. Hesitant and sporadic blaster fire was met by the whip crack and howls of rail guns, which silenced any resistance.

--

The first blast wasn’t all that loud from where Arden and Hudson were, but the one that blew out the foyer was much, much clearer. And their signal to move. Arden stepped around the corner, two neat shots getting rid of the guards. Hudson ran forward, boots screeching to a stop as he turned to face up across the bridge between the two buildings. His fingers squeezed the dual triggers, raking the area with both blaster fire and the much deadlier rail gun projectiles. Explosions blew apart walls and floor, raining a hail of shrapnel against anyone who had been there. Arden slid to a stop next to Hudson, continuing fire with blaster trigger only, while Hudson reloaded the rail gun clip. He slapped it home, nodded.

“Let’s go!”

Both men ran across the bridge, firing as they went.

--

Res’lay and Hicks found themselves caught in a crossfire, trapped in a doorway. The big man that accompied them casually pulled loose two grenades, armed and equally casually threw them at the direction of the blaster fire. A shout and two booms later, followed by debris rolling down the corridor, they were in the clear and able to advance again

--

West had moved up the road, now keeping covered the only entrance the Lone Wolves had chosen not to attack through. He was in the shadows and as far out of the rain as he could be, holding the launcher ready. When it was suggested no one try to attack via this entrance, that lead underground, a couple of Lone Wolves were puzzled.

The gate to the underground entrance began to open, West responding by aiming and firing. The FAE missile roared inbetween the now revealed gap, the gate snapping shut a bare half second later. A blink after that, the gates bowed and arched outwards as a fireball roared outwards, blowing scrap metal up and outwards.

Yeah, not really a good idea to open fire into a speeder pit, where things like ammunition and highly explosive fuel were likely to be kept. Funny how the Lone Wolves understood the wisdom of not going in there when the situation was explained.

--

From a window up high, a barrel of a gun protruded slowly. Carefully, the soldier began to take aim at West. As he was about to pull the trigger, he was hit from above. The weight forced the soldier to drop the gun, before the weight shifted and claws grabbed his throat.

--

West looked up as he heard the screaming laugh. A body crashed to the ground, hitting the ground with a thump audible above the fires in the underground entrance, while something winged could be seen flying back upwards.

“Someone being thrown out a window, high pitched laugh, yep that’s that winged freak”. Quite strange how that Gargoyle, such a ferocious and vicious thing in a fight, was actually quite passive and was a stone eater. They called him Rocky as a result. The General had to admit, adding non humans to the Lone Wolves had really added a new dimension to the unit he used to lead – an explosion that blew out windows made him duck by reflex.

But even with the best aliens and humans the Republic military had to offer, it was almost nothing compared to the warrior Marcus had persuaded West to accept into the Wolves a few years ago, against his better judgement.

Hopefully, that same warrior would leave the Wolves objective this time in one piece as someone came out of a ground story window, hands on head and yelling they were surrendering

--

It was chaos in the command room. Orders were shouted, questions asked. Men who had been asleep 10 minutes ago were now trying to repel an assault no one had expected , nor seemingly knew how to deal with. Whoever had planned it had been good, the Colonel had reflected. Firstly taking out the roof sentries, co-ordinated ambushes on the entrances to the building, bottling them inside, something on the outside making sure they couldn’t shoot out windows, along with well placed shooters on a building opposite, plus three groups taking the building floor by floor. Even a well armed group could do little against the weapons the assault force carried.

“Damn it, we should have planned for those frelling norks to get outside help. Do we have any idea who yet?” he demanded.

“We cant be sure, but that Bothan we got glimpses of in the holocam is supposed to be a NR Commander. Our computers don’t have any id database, but Captain Frot thinks they are NSRF”

“And why the frell would they get involved?” The Colonel yelled back.

“I don’t know…. Sir, we have lost contact with the top two floors! Communications say they were cut off without warning and there is no reports of firing from uo there!”

The Colonel slowly lifted his head to stare upwards. They were on the 16th Floor. That meant what had caused the top two floors to fall silent was now more than likely just..

“SIR! We lost contact with the 18th Floor!”

…. One floor up. And killing his men quietly, unlike the running gun battles 10 floors down. He was starting to get the suspicion they were a diversion from the real threat that was now most likely beginning to…

A faint blaster shot made everyone look up. A scream. A thump. The command centre went quiet, ears straining to hear.

A few seconds passed.

“SIR! 17th reports! They saw a black armoured figure with a long pole and a….a…” the man’s voice faltered. His thorax moved as he swallowed, sweat clearly seen on his forehead.

“And a what Private? PRIVATE, AND A WHAT?!?!”

“And A… red…. Lightsabre…”

The Colonel’s heart missed a beat. “A lightsabre?”

“A red one! Sir, you know whom that is?!?!”

“Shut up Private, it might not be! Everyone, prepare to repel a Jedi!”

“Sir, I really hope it’s just a Jedi” said a Major near to the Colonel.

“So do I Major… but…” Here the Colonel looked up, expressing the unspoken words with his actions.

“Well Colonel, we can get lucky. I’ll get the men organised”

“Good. Don’t expect that person to use the stairs, so don’t bother trying to stop it from gaining this floor, because we don’t have the men to do that. It’s best if we try to set up a trap or overwhelming fire instead. Quickly, while we still have time!”

“SIR, we lost contact with the 17th Floor!”

The Major and the Colonel looked at each other. “Order all troops to get here and now! Move!” yelled the Colonel.

“ALL TROOPS! RETREAT TO THE COMMAND ROOM! I REPEAT, RETREAT TO THE COMMAND ROOM! NOW!”

Less than a minute later, the Colonel could hear troops obeying the order arrive outside.

“Any luck, we’ll get some from lower floors as well” remarked the Major.

“We’ll need them” The Colonel was beginning to wonder if it was such a wise idea to have accepted the task of protecting the ruler of this planet. It’s seems the slimy man, who was at this time quivering in fear in the corner of the Command Room, had made some one annoyed – annoyed enough to attract the attention of the Republic, more specifically the New Republic Special Forces.

More soldiers arrived at the Command room, rapidly redeployed to affect the best possible defence. The Colonel shouted orders, while the communications officer desperately tried to raise anyone outside. Only the static of jamming replied.

A couple of minutes passed, the troops were aligned the best way possible. The Colonel was now fairly certain that he had the area secure.

Except….

“MAJOR! SEAL THE AIR DUC….”

From behind them, there was a groan, then a crash. From the roof spilled down metal and wood, smashing to the floor. The Colonel gaped as from within the debris, a single beam of light awoke, along with a humming. The beam rose, it’s light reflecting evilly off the dark armoured vision from hell now revealed. The reflective visor glittered inhumanly, as a awed silence descended on the room. In the figure’s other hand, a strange but vicious looking gun came up to bear.

The communications operator back-pedalled on his chair, desperate to get away. His headphones, still connected to the equipment, stretched and snapped with force, sending the operator to the floor.

Behind the armoured warrior, the Governor howled in fright. “NNNOOOOOO!!!”

“FIRE!”

The order broke some of the spell. Blasters began firing, all to no avail as the blood red sabre leaped and danced, sending blaster bolts generally back in the direction. The gun in the warrior’s hand came up to bear and fired.

CRACKBANG!!

The projectile, fired at nearly Mach5, hit a soldier, seeming to explode and not leaving much more than boots.

“RAIL GUN!! RUN!” The Colonel was no fool. He might be a soldier but he wasn’t suicidal. The Rain Gun cracked 4 more times, it’s targets exploding into pieces, while the wise ones followed the Colonel’s order and got the hell out of there.

--

They had formed up with Hudson and Arden, now chasing retreating soldiers up the steps of the building. They were at floor fifteen, when they heard the first distinctive CrackBang of a rail gun.

“@#%$, looks like we’re only going to be needed to mop up the mess” stated Hudson

“You bring the bucket?” asked Arden

“Say it and I’ll kill you myself” snapped Res’lay “Shut up and get up there. Maybe we can persuade them to surrender now”

“Yeah or we can sw…. shutting up now” ended Hudson, staring down the barrel of Res’lay’s rifle.

“Right, get up there… now” bit out Res’lay

“Going now” replied Hudson and Arden, moving to go up the stairs

--

The soldiers had retreated to the stairway, the Major reasoning there might be escape going up. The first two troops stepped onto the bottom stair and were about to acend, when the Gargoyle, now inside, leapt down, snatched them both by the throat and then leapt upwards. It was done so fast there was hardly time to blink.

“Holy… what the hell was that?!?!” screamed one soldier.

He was only answered by insane high pitched laughter and then a thump as the armoured warrior kicked a door down. It’s lightsabre came up and so did it’s gun.

There only seemed to be one intelligent thing to do right now. The Major threw his gun down and placed his hands on his head, the rest of the troops following likewise in a panic. The warrior paused, nodded, then went back the way it came. Somewhat puzzled, the Major looked around, to see the group of Lone Wolves coming up the stair, armed to the teeth and looking for any excuse to fire.

“Ummm… Surrender? You guys respect that, right?”

“Oh good, she’s leaving some of you alive. That’s a pleasant change” growled the Bothan that seemed to be leading the group. “We were worried there wouldn’t be enough left to identify”

--

The Colonel had gathered what remained of his force – now only 7 men, and were trying to look for way to escape. The Governor cowered in the middle of the group, somehow also escaped from the carnage of the command room. Fire burned from stray blaster shots, a wall seemed to be damaged and the lights in this area were mainly out.

“Damn it there was a garbage chute around here…” muttered the Colonel

“Commander…” stammered the Governor

“SHUT UP YOU RAT F***!” yelled back the soldier.

The weaselly politician pointed shakily. “Commander…..”

The Colonel followed the Governor’s finger, looking back in the direction they came….

…. To see the armoured fiend, pushing aside burning wreckage, stepping through flames, armour glinting in reflections, lightsabre in one hand, Force Pike in the other. The sight just emphasised to the Colonel they were all dead unless they did something. One of the other soldiers must have had the same thought, as he tried to run forward and attack with a knife. One armoured boot snapped out, hitting the attacker in the face, sending him crashing to the ground. It was like a signal, the warrior leaping forward, the sabre being deactivated and disappearing, the Pike dancing and weaving. A couple of blaster shots hit nothing but air. In barely five seconds, the Pike had done it’s work, there was no one left standing other than the Governor, the Colonel and the warrior, Force Pike now held like a sword to one side.

The Colonel took a breath, knowing that now there was no one between this monster and the Governor. He decided there was nothing else to do but…

“Okay, you can have him”

The Governor looked shocked. “But.. but…”

The Colonel replied only with a backhanded that sent the weasel far across the room, to crash into a wall. The warrior’s head seemed to incline, expressing puzzlement as the Colonel walked over, picked up the Governor and with one easy heave, lifted him up by the throat with one hand. The six foot-one soldier stared at the Governor, who was desperately trying to unlock the vice-like grip if his throat.

“Looks like we got you ratty”

“We? What’s this plural use for?” snapped the armoured figure. “Your with him, you can rot in the same cell for all I care”

The soldier grinned, backed the arm holding the Governor, then smashed the smaller man into the wall, before letting him slump to the ground, gasping for air. With the other hand, he worked his fingers into his neck and with a rip, pulled of his mask.

With a grin he waggled his eyebrows. “Impressed?”

The warrior paused, then with a fair bit of disgust and anger, threw the Pike down, ripped off the helmet and threw that to the floor, revealing a dark haired woman, fury burning out of her eyes.

“Dammit Pierce! I am going to kill you! What the hell do you think your doing pulling a stunt like that?!?”

“Just doing my job Eileen. Have to admit, it worked quite well”

The Gvernor was staring open mouthed, firstly at the sudden unveiling of Pierce Tondry, New Republic Intelligence, and…

“Your… your…. Lord Fire Blade..? A woman?!? ”

“Most guys think that. Would you have preferred Eileen Cross? Like to find out if those stories are true about what I do to people who piss me off? Now shut up slimebag, your coming with me” She bent down, dragging the Governor up off the ground. “Believe me, I’ve been waiting a long time to catch up with you scumbag”

“You can’t do this! I have my rights!”

“Ooooh, really now? Well, the Republic wants you for smuggling and drug running. The military want you for treason. I want you for the murder of two Jedi. Guess who gets first picking of you”

“I have armies here! They will come and stop you!”

“Oh, the commanders I bribed to stay in their barracks tonight? Yes well, I guess they will come here. Tomorrow, when this building is burnt to the ground and we are long gone” replied Tondry. “Better go quietly, I once saw someone try to resist being dragged away, she ripped the guy’s arm off and turned it into a suppository. I nearly threw up…. Oh dear, it seems our Governor here has fainted. Looks like your going to have to drag him”

“No Pierce, your going to carry him. Move it”

--

The shuttle had landed a few minutes ago near West and was now having a stream of prisioners walk in, under the watchful eye of the lizard, whom the Wolves had dubbed Loungie, the gargoyle, Wulf (The Transdorsian) and Kaarrrotta, the Cizerack. The rest of the Wolves were still rounding up other survivors and dragging out wounded, with the help of some other soldiers of the NRSF that had come with the shuttle. Res’lay stood by West.

“Reasonably neat job. I bet our Governor here didn’t see this coming” commented Res’lay

“Yeah, not bad. Tondry getting on the inside was a masterstroke, he arranged for all the crims to be in one place and made sure we had no other opposition. Pity he wont take up a position in the Special Forces, we could do with clever bastages like him” replied West. “Oh, speak of the devil, look who’s coming”

From out of the alley emerged Eileen Cross, carrying her helmet under one arm, Force Pike in the other. Pierce Tondry followed, the Governor slung over one shoulder. A couple of the prisoners recognised Eileen and cringed as she passed, aiming her way over to where West and Res’lay stood.

Darth Turbogeek
Nov 21st, 2001, 05:19:25 AM
“Well, now there is a surprise. Our erstwhile Governor is being dragged in one piece, what do think, some of Tondry’s influence is finally rubbing off on our Hell Cat?” asked Res’lay

“What would rather, someone who walks up and rips your limbs off, or someone who sneaks up first and then rips your limbs off… oh hello m’Lord Fire Blade, how are you today?” said West

Commander Elieen Cross, 2IC to Res’lay of the Lone Wolves, also known as Lord Fire Blade, former Imperial Royal Guard and now one of the Republic’s most feared and skilled warriors, gave West a salute with the Pike and then a rather rude gesture. “You said you wanted him in one piece. Now if you don’t mind, can we cut the small talk and get off this dirtball?”

“Why, got an appointment Cross?” snapped back Res’lay

“No, don’t like the smell here, reminds me too much of you” she snapped back

“Oooh, touchy today. Get onboard both of you and make sure your new friend isn’t hurt…”

“Much” Cross broke in with, a decidedly unpleasant smile coming on her face

“AT ALL. The Republic wants this one to stand trial”

“That’s a pity, I was intending to sell him to a Hutt. I’d imagine one of those fat slugs could think of a suitable punishment for trying to go into business against them.”

“Not a bad idea actually. And Elieen…” said West

“Yes?”

“Nice job. No one from the top floors got more than a huge headache. How you managed to take those floors without loss of life just credits your skill. And you too Pierce. Quite a good sting”

A proper smile came over Elieen’s face and she gave West and Res’lay a genuine salute, before turning and jogging over to the entrance ramp of the shuttle.

“My thanks too Nathan. Do you mind if I borrow some of your prisioners?” asked Tondry.

“Umm sure, go ahead”

Tondry dropped the still unconscious Governor to the ground. “Good. Someone else can drag that scum into the smallest cell we have”

--

Some time later, the transport had taken the Lone Wolves, along with their prisoners off planet, paused only to allow Loaf to detonate the explosives he had planted to demolish the building, before flying upwards and into orbit, where a New Republic battle group awaited. The transport docked inside the largest of the war cruisers, a Super Star Destroyer. Once landed inside the hangar, the prisoners were taken to cells, while the New Republic soldiers went to debriefings, except for Cross. She instead headed straight for a door on the opposite side of the hangar, moving quietly between various fighters and workers on the enormous flight deck. As she was about to exit, an officer caught up with her.

“Commander! Commander Cross!”

She paused and turned. “Yes?”

The officer braced himself. Elieen Cross was legendary for the verbal dressing downs she could give to anyone who annoyed her. “Commader, General Scorpion asks if you could see him on the bridge?”

She paused before replying “Tell that blue freak he can wait for a few hours”

“Ummm… Yes Commander!” The officer bowed as Cross stepped away, breathing a sigh of relief as she did. Ignoring everyone else, she continued to walk down the corridors of the massive starship, not looking right or left, but only straight ahead. Crewers and officers alike stepped aside, some saluting. She would only vaguely wave the Pike in return.

After about 20 minutes, she came to a guard point. Presenting her id, she was waved through into a set of corridors that had been created narrower, decorated to a degree and also with less harsh lighting. These were the living quarters of the senior officers of the New Republic Special Forces, their home away from home on Arcan IV or Yavin. There was only a few guards and the area was much, much quieter than the general areas of the Star Destroyer. Each double door had a display stating whom was in particular rooms, some having a notation for particular purposes. General West had one room labelled for staff meetings, another for recreation. There was also a common room and dining area. Each door also had a do not disturb indicator. \

Quite a far cry from Tohmahawk and his dives. He’ld be accusing us of going soft. Either that or Nathan believes we should be civilised and all I can say it’s about time.

But after years of warfare, it was a pleasant and welcome change.

She arrived at one particular door, put her id into a slot, stood back and waited for the bio scans to take place. 30 seconds later, the double door slid apart. Collecting her id, Elieen stepped in, waiting for the doors to shut. The change that came over her was immediate and startling – she coughed before doubling over, groaning, dropping the pike to place a hand on her armour. A few well chosen words that wouldn’t be heard in polite company, a few gasps, before she recovered enough to stand, shakily on her feet. About 10 meters away was a couch, which she made for, sitting heavily down, which made her grunt again. She began to take off the armour, gloves first, then arm guards followed by leg plates. All were thrown into a pile on the floor.

Her fingers had just begun to explore the chest plate fasteners, when the security system beeped and the door swept open again, to reveal Pierce Tondry, now changed into an informal Intelligence jumpsuit. If he was surprised by Elieen being in his rooms, he didn’t show it.

“Ahhh, I was wondering where you were. How come you didn’t go to the debrief?”

She slapped the clasps of the chest plate in frustration and impatience. “Can you give me a hand here first?”

His eyes flicked over the woman, scanning with his eyes and also with The Force, using his abilities as a Jedi to see what his eyes couldn’t. “Are you hurt?” he asked, moving across, his voice filled with concern.

“Just… help… me get this damn thing off!”

“Okay….. oh I see. The plate is buckled and is putting tension on the clasps. Hang onnn….” The clasp stayed stubbornly closed for a moment, before springing open with some force. Elieen’s face went red as she snarled in pain, fingers seeking another of the clasps. Five seconds later, the other clasps were unlocked, the plate springing forward. Her breath rasped for a few seconds, before becoming deep and even. Tondry stared at her, concern on his face, before picking up the plate and looking at it.

“What hit you? There’s quite dent visible now”

She was sitting back heavily, feeling like she had been through a garbage compactor. “Big guy with an axe. Got the drop on me as I was doing the floor by floor clean up”

Tondry looked at the dent again. “Looks like this bit armour is trashed”

“Rather it than me. And don’t worry, the guy who did that is wearing his testicles as ear-rings and probably will never speak without a squeak. An axe though… he was carrying an old fashioned axe! I wasn’t expecting that”

“Well, it’s comforting to know that your armour stopped you getting killed and that you can also make mistakes”

“Ahh, wiseass” She flopped down, to lay on her back on the couch, feet stretched out and still encased in armour.

“You really should have go that plate off earlier Elieen. Reputation or not, what if you really were injured badly? Being stolic in public might build your name, but it isn’t going to do anything if it leads to your own death”

“Pah, you haven’t seen how many times I have been stretchered out of places. If I really needed medical attention, I would have got it Pierce, I’m not mad”

”Unlike others we know, yes?” he said with a smile.

“That’s true” She got up slowly, wincing again. “I’m going to get myself cleaned up and then get some sleep. If Jyanis sends one of his flunkies to summon me to a meeting, slam the door on his face, I’m not coming out until dinner time.”

Tondry nodded. “Sure, Tho I’ll probably grab some downtime too. Been a while since I slept in a half clean bed. You would hardly believe the places Manckin based himself in the last few months – you would think a Governor of a planet would put himself up in better accommodation, he certainly had more than enough money”

“Really? Well I guess he figured it would keep him on his toes, after all, he did have quite a few groups after him. So how much money did you swipe at the end?”

Tondry looked offended. “Elieen! Would I do some thing like that, after I had spent 3 months infiltrating and then gaining his trust enough to gain access codes to set up the sting? Living dangerously, knowing I could be caught and executed, doing my duty to the Republic, knowing that would be a giveaway and against Republic rules?”

“How much?” she replied

His face broke into a grin. “150,000. Want some?”

“No, I already have all expenses paid. I’m sure someone else could think of a few ways to spend it however. Now if you’ll excuse me, there’s a shower with my name calling”

Cross walked off, Tondry taking the couch she had been sitting on. With a sigh, he took out a data pad, beginning to scroll through it, catching up on his messages. Being gone from his desk for several months had meant a huge backlog, which he would have to take a few days to clear out. Working out which were his priorities would take up most of that, sorting out the self important beauacrats from the reports of operations in the field. Of course, his deputy would have taken the really urgent and important messages, but a copy would have been sent to Tondry as well.

Twenty minutes later, he was dictating a clever put down to some rally loathsome and petty official, when he heard a knock at the suite’s entrance. A touch surprised, he looked up and at the door, wondering whom it was. Looked like he wasn’t going to get any peace after all, because no one got into the Senior Officer living area except due to emergenices. “Enter” he called out.

The lock clicked, the doors opened. Unexpectantly, three cats began to walk in, like they owned the suite, followed by a human shaped figure. Tondry stared in astonishment, knowing precisely whom the figure was, but hardly daring to believe…. Until she swept her cloak off as the doors closed, to reveal a shapely and tall dark haired woman, lightsabre at her belt. “And where have you been Mr Tondry?”

He got up, a smile of unexpected delight growing on his face as he looked over Lilaena Tondry, nee De’ville, Jedi Knight and his wife. “Lily..! I thought you would be on Arcan IV!”

“Why? Something to hide?”

“Only a few thousand credits”

“Only a few? You slipping Pierce Alexander Tondry. I expected more than that”

“Oh believe me, there’s more” he said stepping over to Lilaena. “Where’s Ivan?”

“He’s up on the bridge and doesn’t know you back yet. I wanted a bit of time to welcome you back on my own”

“Oh? Maybe we should go to another suite, Elieen is…”

“I know she’s here Pierce, she told me you were here 10 minutes ago. Don’t worry, I’m sure she’s not going to disturb us…” Lilaena said as she reached out to put her arms around Piece’s neck and shoulders.

He stared at her face, reading the mischief that could be seen in her eyes. Pierce bent over, picking Lilaena up in his arms, who squealed in surprise and delight. “Okay Mrs Tondry, what did you have in mind for a way to say welcome back?”

“Bedroom?” she replied

He leaned his head forward, kissing her lips, before replying. “Try to stop me”

--

It was 1 hour after dusk, ship time. As was customary since the time of General James Tohmahawk, the now near legendary founder of the Special Forces, the senior staff shared a dining room when they could. It was true Tohmahawk had preferred to mess with the grunts, but the highly rough and ready atmosphere of the mess halls was no place for the families of officers like Pierce.

To be honest, thought Lilaena Tondry, the NRSF was very much like an extended family in itself. Close knit and with it’s own clans, with the General in charge the undisputed Patriarch. She knew a lot of the soldiers still saw Tohmahawk as some sort of father figure, having gotten a lot of his best out of troubles of many kind. Like Zara Drecker, still across from her, the short haired Fleet Admiral, whom had been found wasted in a Customs vessel, to be given command of the NRSF’s biggest and most powerful weapons. Gurney Devieres, the spice addict who had gone on to be the Jedi Master-of-Arms, deep blue without a trace of white, seated with combat boots on the table, chatting quietly with Nathan West, the current Commander of the NRSF. Jyanis Scorpion, one time Sith Warlord, now the New Republic’s overall military commander and only ranking below in importance to the Supreme Chancellor, not to mention one of the rare breed of Jedi Warrior, not to mention the NRSF’s commander before West, was also at the table, ale in hand.

There was also here tonight the Tondrys, Pierce, Lilaena and Ivan, their 12 year old son. Pierce and Ivan were conversing, the father having not seen his son for nearly 6 months. Lilaena couldn’t really tell what they were talking about, but there seemed to be something about lightsabre duelling, Ivan being the Jedi Padawan to Scorpion.

Who would have foreseen this, she asked of herself. In the bowels of a Republic Star Destroyer, in amongst Generals and Jedi, with a husband and a child of her own. It was enough to make one’s head spin if you dwelled on it for too long.

Her musing were broken as Elieen Cross, considered to be one of the most lethal fighters in the Galaxy entered. She was now dressed in a casual smock that draped down off her shoulders, right down to her boots, which could be seen glinting blood red. Lilaena recognised them as the boots of a Royal Guard, of which Cross was the grand-daughter of - The Lord Fire Blade, one of the guards of Emperor Palpatine himself. Somewhere Cross had gotten the training that would have bettered that of the Imperial Royal Guards, plus training in the Jedi arts, turning the shortish ut powerful and beautiful woman into arguably a fighting machine that was only bettered by one or two of the best Jedi Masters and even that was doubtful. Lilaena had seen Elieen sparring Master Yg’hurt, the current leader of the Jedi order and it was hard to know whom would be the victor if the fight was for real. But most important to Lilaena, she was a good friend and had shown the Jedi a much, much different side to the woman who could strike fear into her enemies by just her name alone.

Others noted the female warrior come in, turn heads and greet her, as Elieen walked over to where Lilaena was and taking a seat.

“You know, you could have closed the door. Who knows whom would have been looking?”

Lillaena nearly choked, before recovering. “We didn’t?”

“You must have been in a hurry to get to the bed”

Lilaena glanced at Pierce, before turning back to Elieen, a smile on her face. “You could say that. I really hope he and I can get more time to ourselves, we just don’t seem to spend much time alone anymore. I hadn’t seen nor hardly heard from him in six months”

“You might be in luck now Lily. It seems most of us are being ordered to take a time out. Aren’t we Master Scorpion?” Cross said, raising her voice so the blue skinned alien could hear. He looked up, red eyes staring at her.

“Oh, so you bothered to read your messages? That’s good, since you didn’t want to see me after you got back”

“Oh come on Jyanis, I wanted a shower and a sleep! Was that too much to ask for?”

“Yes – you jump when I say jump and you dance when I start playing….”

Master Yoghurt
Nov 21st, 2001, 06:27:24 AM
Whoa, I got some reading to do.. :)

Darth Turbogeek
Nov 22nd, 2001, 09:23:29 PM
“Yes – you jump when I say jump and you dance when I start playing do I make myself clear… WEST! STOP THAT!!”

The table dissolved in laughter at the rather rude hand motion West was making with his hand, Scorpion looked offended then also joined in.

“Hey, what was that you said Elieen? Time out?” asked Gurney as the laughter faded.

“Yeah, explain that one to me Jyanis. What’s that supposed to mean?” asked Elieen.

“Well, the Inner Council have decided that after you lot caught Manckin and cleaned up his organisation, that it was high time that the chapter of present Republic heroes get a holiday from defending the Galaxy. I also get the feeling that some of the Council and even the Senate wouldn’t mind if some of the bad asses decide to retire to some remote planet, just like Tohmahawk did”

“I don’t get it – why?” asked Pierce.

“I do” stated Drecker. “James told me why before he left”

“Pardon? That was a few years ago, did he foresee this?” asked West

“No, he was mainly talking about himself. You remember the celebrations after he lead the combined Jedi and Republic forces to victory over the Sith and wiped Mondu Cordu clean of their defilements, finished his crusade to wipe out their Dark arts?” Heads nodded. “Well, remember before he went before the Senate to become the Commander-in-Chief for that single day, then retired? He told me why…”

The General, resplendent in his dress uniform, dark hair combed neatly for once, boots, buckles and guns polished to a mirror finish, looked at himself in the looking glass, almost not recognising himself. No black trenchcoat, no webbing fulled with guns, only the two holstered Railies at his hips. Medals were on his chest, while the rank stars and stripes glittered. For once he looked every centimetre one of the most decorated and senior soldiers in rather the times of the Old or New Republics.

“You earned it” he muttered to himself. “Who else would have done what I did?”

“Hey, you talking to yourself again James?”

The General turned, smiled at the new entrant to the small room. “Well, look at you Zara. Those Admiral bars look good on you”

“How much more brass and sliver can you put on your shirt James?!? You’ll blind people with all that shining at them”

“Ahhh, let em be blinded. This is my parade today and I’ll piss on anyone I like today… for the final time” he ended, quietly.

“You mean, your really going through with it? Your really going to retire? James Tomahawk, there’s still more to do you know. You might have destroyed the worst of the Galaxy, but we still have mopping up to do…”

“It’s for someone else to do Zara. In a year’s time, you wont recognise the Republic. We’ll be taken off the permanent war footing and become the Galaxy policeman as peace spreads. There wont be armed troops on every corner, there wont be the billions spent on new ships and soldiers. Some of the troops will go home, for good. The Jedi will be scholars and healers, negotiators. The Republic will call for diplomats, not warriors. My time is over Zara. I gave the Galaxy the chance to exist quietly without the threat of the Sith and their armies, I removed the last Imperial factions, the big criminal gangs are rotting on Kessel. What use is a Warlord if there is nothing left to fight? I might be celebrated and feted now, but in a year or two I’ll be an embarrassment, because I outlived my welcome. No, the job is ended for me, we don’t need men of warfare like me. We need men of peace, even in the Fleet and even in the armies. And besides…. I’ve got personal business to attend to now”

“But, wouldn’t you be better equipped to deal with that with all the resources of the Republic that you can command?”

“Yes, but that’s not the point now Zara. Maybe the Republic will be glad to allow me to deal with the personal business and maybe the Republic would love to have me in an office somewhere, continuing to lead the Armed Forces. But I’m simply not the right person for the times ahead. Peace will present different challenges I’m simply not going to be able to handle well. You, Nathan, Jyanis… Pierce and even Gurney and Elieen are going to have to be the ones who sees the Republic through this time and believe me, you’ll see the time to retire once the transition is over. I think the first sign is when they ask you to take a break, or when your attending more banquets than battles. Times are changing Zara, the Galaxy simply doesn’t need beings like me anymore”

“But, what if we do?”

“You’ll know because I’ll come back. Just because I retire does not mean I don’t stay vigilant. That’s the price of peace Zara. Eternal vigilance and watchfulness. You go to sleep, you could lose it all once again. Never forget that.

Zara looked at the alien, who looked so human that no one could tell his real heritage. “And you get to be remembered for what you did, not as a dottering old fart, in your case about 300 years in the future?”

Galatic Commander, General James T. Tohmahawk, head of the Armed Forces of the Republic, decorated and celebrated Warlord grinned. “Precisely. Now, lets go. I get the absolute top job for a day and I intend to enjoy every damn moment, I think I’ve earned it”

“Yeah, that you have James..” she said, holding the door open for him, for The General to walk to the Senate and claim his last and greatest curtaincall…”

“….. And that’s all” she said. “He had his day in the sun and he retired, leaving us to deal with ones like Manckin and also the switch between war and peace. Personally, I can see his point now. Always wondered since then when I’d go, because he’s right. War needs a certain kind of person, peace another” She shrugged. “But I’m not going yet. Another few years tho, I’d say a nice hideaway and a tapcafe nearby would be looking good, because I won’t be on the ships anymore. I can already see myself being more and more desk bound, more discussing inane subjects that trouble the senate these days. But not yet, not while I still feel the trill of ordering my fleet onwards, even on a patrol. You see, I’m like Tohmahawk, I’m a Warhawk. What need does the Republic need of a shoot first, undiplomatic and crass Admiral when the way forward is negotiation and diplomacy? Even my flagship is going to be a relic of a past time soon”

Her flagship was the Defender, the enormous Star Cruiser which in the final battle against the fleet of the Sith, almost singlehandly duelled to the destruction of it’s opposition, while itself eventually in one last blazing cross fire destroyed the final miniature Death Star-esque battle station, while in itself being damaged to the point it needed a fearful amount of work to be truly operational again. With the Republic no longer facing the huge capital ships it once did, Defender now sat parked in orbit of Arcan IV, partially rebuilt to it’s former glory. It still could defeat whole fleets by itself, but it no longer was the incredible weapon of war it once was.

And the others in the room knew why and it emphasised Drecker’s point. With no real need for such aship, repairs for Defender were no longer a priority for the datapushers and seen as a waste of credits by some in the Senate.

“So what about us, Zara?” asked Gurney.

“Your Jedi, mostly. Aren’t Jedi protectors of peace and justice? Aren’t you teachers and healers? There’s always going to be a need for that. I doubt you will have uniforms soon and I doubt you will need sabres one day. Your boy Lilaena, if he wants to be military, he’ll find something vastly different to what his father saw even just three years ago”

Nathan West looked up. “She’s right you know. The NRSF has nothing more than small local fires to put out now and to be honest, they’re best done with local forces. You know we have pretty good soldiers applying to NRSF with no battle experience? Not many, but give it 10 years and it won’t be uncommon. We’re already reducing some division via natural attrition, because we’re just not needed”

“I don’t know about you Nathan, but I’ve always I could live in a time when I wouldn’t have to fight every day. I’d much rather we were sitting around at Arcan IV or Yavin, rather than this warship” replied Lilaena.

“I didn’t say it was a bad thing Lil, fact is, I rather like learning how to be a Jedi. It’s just that it feels like our usefulness is over, so now we’re put to one side, like some unwanted toy”

“That’s pretty much it” said Drecker “And James saw it well. Thinking about that old rogue, where is he these days? I don’t think I’ve heard from him in about a year”

“Bout the same as all of us Zara. He showed up late one night at the Jedi mess hall, spent the night and was gone again. He said he was enjoying fishing – a lot” replied Scorpion. He looked at Elieen, who was pretty much ignoring the conversation and was eating some of the foods on the table, combined with a mug of something that smelt fruity. She realised a few people were looking at her, she paused still with a mouthful of food.

“Whaf?” she said, before swallowing. “I’ve got no idea where that old buzzard is” she continued. “I bet he went back home and raised some more of those four legged pests he adores so much”

“Pests? I could think of a lot of things worse than cats to be a breeder of” said Gurney.

“Yeah, like you” shot back Elieen.

“Why, you offering?”

“Only after I’ve stepped out an airlock”

“Awww, why not? I’m cute, I’m available and any offspring would bring a good price”

“For disposal” interjected West. Deveires relied with obscene gesture and a smile on his face, while the room dissolved into laughter again.

“So anyway” said Pierce “You’ve been scheduled for down time Elieen, was there anyone else?”

“Yes, everyone in this room. Pretty much effective immediately” replied Scorpion.

“All of us?!?! Someone has lost the plot. You don’t go removing a group like us all at the one time… this room controls the Republic military!” shot back Pierce.

“I tried to argue, but this was from the Chancellor herself. She’s just not going to accept anything less than a Yes M’dam from any of us and made it clear she expects us to hand over responsibility for at least a month”

“This makes no sense… you think there’s a political move on and they want us out of the way?” asked Lilaena

“That’s what I though, but with what I’ve been able to pick up, this is completely a genuine wish of the Chancellor, albeit rather sudden”

At the word ‘sudden’, Elieen’s head snapped up, from her food. Her stare bored into Scorpion, but she didn’t speak. No one else noticed her behaviour except for Lilaena, whose forehead wrinkled in a frown.

Something’s caught Elieen’s attention… I’ll have to ask quietly what later she noted to herself.

“Ah well, if that’s the case, I better get to where Broom is and organise my absence” said West, standing up.

“Me too. Later everyone” said Drecker, likewise getting up. The room emptied, others making their excuses and leaving, with only Elieen and the Tondrys remaining.

“Well, I better go keep checking up what I missed while I was gone. Lucky for me, it’ll be business as usual for my staff. Ivan, you want to come with me?”

The boy glanced excitely at his mother. “Can I Mum?”

“Sure, just don’t get under anyone’s feet” replied Lilaena.

“Thanks… I’ll see you later Lily. Come on Ivan” Pierce left with the boy, leaving Elieen, who had recommenced eating and Lilaena, who waited until the doors closed before speaking.

“All right Elieen, spill it. Something got your attention, now what was it?”

“I’m interested in seeing what was said between Scorpion and the Chancellor. Want to find out?”

“Does it have anything to do with your sudden curiosity, or you just looking to get into trouble?”

Cross took another bite of the fish she was eating, chewing and swallowing before answering. “I’ll tell you after I see what was said. Feel like doing some slicing?”

“Transmission records? No problem. Back to our suite..?”

--

A few hours later, they found the proper transmission log and were searching it, trying to find what they wanted. Given the level of comms traffic that a cruiser of this size would generate in just normal operation, it was a long and tedious job. But they were getting closer.

“Okay, we’ll just try…. Okay, got it! We’re in luck, it wasn’t encrypted” stated Lilaena, watching the screen. Both women began to examine the transcript of the conversation, Lilaena scroll down periodically.

“Well – they had a bit of an argument, didn’t they?” remarked Elieen. “Seems tho the Chancellor was most insistent, even suggesting we all go to Debrillion….Debrillion? Why the hell there?”

“You don’t go sending your best commanders and fighters on leave at the one time and then casually suggest a destination. And then make the leave an no option order. Something was behind this, but to be honest, I can’t think what it could be. You think our Chancellor has picked up something wrong out there?”

“Maybe” Cross leaned back, rubbing her eyes which where red from looking at the terminal for too long.

Darth Turbogeek
Nov 26th, 2001, 07:51:55 PM
“Could be genuine, but I doubt it. You’re the Jedi here, what does the Force tell you?”

Lilaena gave Elieen a reproachful look. “I’m not Master Q’Dunn or Yg’hurt, Elieen. I can’t consult the Force the way those two do, I doubt any Jedi are anywhere near as powerful as they are”

“Alright, gut feeling then”

“It stinks. Someone has gotten a whiff of something, told the Chancellor and then the Chancellor has decided to go fishing with us. Either that or it’s a set up”

“Right, or one other thing. The Chancellor is being manipulated and some one is making sure we are as far away as possible..”

“Or else someone is being very clever” broke in Lilaena.

Elieen’s jaw closed with an audible snap as her mind caught up suddenly as a stray bit of information clicked. “Debrillion? Isn’t that that where that Dark Jedi Venom came from?”

Lilaena’s face creased in confusion, then cleared as recognition came. “Yes, it was. Something to do with that group of Dark Jedi he lead several years ago you think?”

“Yes I do think that. I think I should at the least check it out, even if it’s only a co-incidence”

Lilaena got up. “Then I’ll go too”

“No your not..”

“Yes I am! You can’t do everything by yourself Elieen and besides, you haven’t even had a proper night’s rest..”

“I’ve got a better idea. We all go” The new voice startled both women, who turned to face the direction the voice came from. It was Pierce, whom was leaning up against a doorframe, arms crossed. “Someone’s made it very clear that all of us are to go to Debrillion, if your reading is right, so I don’t think just going by yourself is going to be wise”

“And how long have you been eavesdropping Pierce?” snapped Elieen.

“Long enough that I agree with you and also with Lily about your chances of going alone. Besides.. “ his face broke into a grin filled with mischief “I feel like a holiday now. Debrillion is quite nice this time of year.”

Elieen sighed. “Alright, we go together if that’s going to shut you all up and stop everyone chasing me down” She looked like she was about to exit the suite, when she changed her mind and walked towards her own bedroom. “Do you think the weather will be warm?”

“I don’t know… why?”

“Cause I want to know what type of armour to wear. Cant go being all sweaty and ruining my good looks now, can I” said Elieen.

Pierce shook his head. “Not even a bit civilised are you Elieen. Go on, scoot and get some sleep. I’ll begin getting things organised.”

“Okay… and by the way… thank you” Elieen exited and closed the door gently behind herself, leaving Lilaena and Pierce alone.

“Not even a day and we’re back against someone. I’d really like to have at least a bit of time with you alone” Lilaena stated, slipping her arms around her husband.

Pierce reached a hand up and stroked the back of Lilaena’s head, his other arm returning the embrace “So do I Lil, so do I” He bent his head and softly kissed her brow. “That why we do this for, so we can one day have peace for ourselves, not just the rest of the Galaxy. You know there are beings who would try to steal everything we work so hard for if we don’t respond to possible threats. And besides… maybe we should take this on face value. I can do with a holiday”

She rested her head on his chest, pausing for a moment only to hear his heartbeat. “We can dream for a while I guess”

“I guess we can” he replied, pretending not to notice the tears Lilaena was beginning to cry.

--

The group was fairly noisy as it began to complete the final loading of the oversized assault shuttle, painted black and without markings to give away whom it belonged to. Jyanis Scorpion, dressed in civvies in the first time in years, looked distinctly uncomfortable in his new and unfamiliar clothes, whilst Nathan West, used to covert operations, wore a well travelled jumpsuit. Pierce and Lilaena were in Jedi robes, as was their son, Ivan. Zara Drecker still looked every inch an Admiral, dressed in a severe grey coloured shirt and pants, Gurney in his normal cloak and hood.

And inside the shuttle, the unmistakable sound of Lochabre the Gargoyle, high pitched and quiet scream /speech, with Loungie the lizard and Kaarrrotta the Cizerack replying int their own languages.

“Ahh great, that walking statue and Kitty are having a dispute” sighed West, walking down the ramp of the shuttle.

“The usual argument?” asked Scorpion.

“Yes, Lochabre is telling Kaarrrotta off for eating raw meat again and suggesting a nice limestone snack” said Elieen, likewise exiting the shuttle behind West. She was dressed in her usual camo with hood, which was drawn back, an expression of amusement on her face. “I cant imagine why Kaarrrotta would be objecting”. The Cizerack was by nature a carnivore, while Lochabre, despite it’s ferocious appearance consumed stone and metals, using it’s highly acidic metabolism to break them down. Also not exactly having flesh, but something more akin to stone, had lead the peculiar race of Lochabre to be wary of anything that was flesh or organic.

Pierce raised his eyes upward and shook his head. “Remind me again why we’re bringing those two along?”

“Because Lochabre won’t take no for an answer?” replied West, coming across to where the Tondry’s stood, bending down to pick up his last remaining pack.

“And where Lochabre goes, so does Kaarrrotta. I don’t get it, how can those two be inseparable? It’s not like they have anything in common” stated Gurney, also walking up with a case in one hand and a rifle in the other.

“I really don’t know… and this is supposed to be a holiday Gurney. Going hunting are you?”

“Holiday my -DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR-” the weapons instructor growled.

“Whatever floats your boat” replied Pierce. “Everyone, we’re out of here!”

--

“I’ve almost forgotten how to fly one of these things” commented West as he flicked the last switches that would begin the warm up sequence and taking his place in the pilot’s seat.

“Yeah, you and me both. I think it’s been about two years since I flown my own personal craft myself” said Scorpion, strapping himself into the co-pilot’s chair.

“Okay, repulsor lifts are on-line. Strap in everyone!”

The group of humans and aliens in the personnel seats began to take their paces, except for Lochabre, who hung upside down from a sturdy claw hold on the roof.

“Sure your going to be able to hang on up there?” asked Elieen as she clicked home the last bit of restraint webbing. The gargoyle screeched a reply.

“What did it say?” asked Lilaena, quietly to Elieen

“It’s be okay as long as West doesn’t rip out of the hangar like Tohmahawk used to do”

“Not much of a chance in this bucket. Okay Nathan, when your ready!” called out Lilaena.

“Okay…. Next stop, sun, beaches and babes!”

The assault shuttle rose, rotated and floated across the hangar. A slight bump signified they passed through the magnetic barrier to deep space and with a muted roar, the sub light motors activated, accelerating the craft away from the fleet of warships.

“Co-ordinates loaded, course set” declared Scorpion, hands tapping at the nav computer.

“Engage hyperdrive” commanded West

Scorpion’s hand moved over to a lever and pulled back. The motors whined and built in noise, the starfield in front of them began to blur then streak. With a flash of pseudomotion, the shuttle blasted into hyperspace and towards Debrillion

Darth Turbogeek
Dec 14th, 2001, 04:03:29 AM
--

Simon felt Rivel close to him, but still felt his heart in his mouth, the sour taste of his own fear becoming more and more pronounced. He was quite certain that unless this man had any sense of reasonableness, they were all about to die.

“That’s the only reason your still alive. And the fact it’s not you I’m angry at. These two idiots however, I’m not so sure will leave this house in one piece” The cigar rolled on the man’s lip before he spoke again “You can thank this fool for what’s coming now”, the gun pointing now at Rivel.

Desvelles blinked. Did that man just answer a question he had never voiced? By his side, Rivel was almost quivering in fury.

“What have you done to Jina?” she finally snapped out.

The gunman took his feet off the chair, then got to his feet, a haze of smoke following him as he walked over to where Simon and Rivel stood. “You should be asking what am I going to do to you, you mean”. To Simon’s surprise, he put the gun into a holster, before puffing a cloud of smoke over Rivel, who choked and coughed.

And without warning, the gunman struck. A gloved fist smashed Rivel’s jaw with enough force to send her crashing into the wall. It was followed by a kick to the stomach as she rebounded, before the man stepped forward and hit her once more, cleanly to the jaw. She tottered, then collapsed, knocked out. Simon backed away, not exactly sure what he could do. He wanted to defend his wife, but he was so far off balance with all the happenings of the last hour, he really didn’t know what to do. The gunman seemed to think and pause, before giving Rivel two vicious kicks, one to the head, the other to the chest.

“Uuum, did you really have to do that?!?” asked Simon, somehow finding his voice.

“No, but she deserved every kick. Put your arms down, your quite safe because I’m not interested in doing anything to you”

“What…? Oh…” Desvelles lowered his arms somewhat sheepishly. “Well…..”

“Your about to ask me Who, What and Why”

“Huh? How…”

“Standard questions. The who and what I can’t tell you…” The gunman had bent down and had pulled out a small device, placing it on Rivel’s neck and then pressing a button. A small sharp hiss then the gunman stood up. “Just a bit of tranquiliser - It will keep her out for 20 minutes” he added, seeing Desvelles puzzled look.

“Why did you do that?”

The man crossed over to the table, took off his hat to reveal neatly trimmed black hair with patches of grey. The hat was flicked onto the table, before the man took a seat once again. “Mainly because I need time to think. Her stupidity nearly got you all killed last night and now I need to work out what to do next”

“K-i-lled? What are you talking about?! Was…”

“The ones whom I killed last night were about to make their move on Jina and your wife. You would have been executed too” He spoke so casually that Simon initially missed what the gunman said. But as his mind caught up with the words, his eyes opened wide in shock.

“You? But why?”

The gunman stared at Desvelles, before shaking his head. “You have not been told anything then” It was not a question. “This is just getting more and more frelled up. I swear I’m going to hit her again for her stupidity”

“Her stupidity? What do you mean by that?”

“None of your business farmer and pray it never does” A small groan sounded, the gunman turning his head in response. “Jina, get up. We’re going”

The reply was slurred and quite rude, but the girl managed to get up and stand unsteadily on her feet. Her face had a spectacular bruise beginning to show on her cheek, with a cut above one eye. Her clothes were not exactly in good condition, especially as she quite abruptly vomited over herself. She heaved a few more times, gasping and struggling to stay upright.

“Look she isn’t…. okay, okay. Whatever you say” said Desvelles, seeing the foul look the gunman gave him.

“I would very much appreciate if you shut up now Nerf Herder. In fact…” one of his hands dipped down and pulled out a blaster “I would prefer if you just…”

The was a blue flash and Simon didn’t know what happened next.

--

Jina managed to stay upright, even with the waves of nausea. “You didn’t have to do that!”

“I wanted him out of the way for a few minutes. You prefer I just killed him?”

“No, of course not, I was referring to that drug. I would have stayed quiet. Ohhh….” She was violently ill again, the gunman waiting patiently until she was finished before speaking again. “Well, how was I supposed to know it would have this side effect on you? Better go clean yourself up because we need to get moving”

“Where to?”

“I don’t know yet. I wasn’t expecting either of you here until two nights ago and I wasn’t even sure you had been discovered, even after last night. I do know Astel was here and that suggests they were circling for the kill.”

Jina’s face screwed up. “Astel? Are you sure?”

“Yes and he isn’t going to bother us again. Now get packed. We’re running again”

“Just like old times?”

For the first time, the gunman smiled. “Yes, just like old times. Except Marcus isn’t with us”

“Where is he?”

“I have no idea. I don’t think anyone does. Jyanis doesn’t, Helenais, Pierce, anyone. Right, get packed. I may have bought us some time, but it’s a clear signal you are here”

Jina nodded, moving out of the room whilst still somewhat wobbly. The gunman waited till she was gone, before moving over to where his pack was.

“Better swap over while I can” he muttered. His hands rapidly unclipped his gunbelt, folding it and the guns into a small bundle. The pack was opened, a cloth wrapped bundle removed. The bundle was unwrapped to reveal a second gun belt, somewhat larger, with a harness attached to it. He took his duster off, clipped the gunbelt to his waist and strapped the webbing over his shoulders. The holsters were a good deal bigger and fitted two black guns, quite blocky in build and about as large as possible and still be a single hand weapon. On the front of the harness was twin DL-44 blasters. The duster was flung on again, then buttoned up to hide the weapons. The first gunbelt was placed in the pack, which he tugged onto his back just as Jina re-entered, changed into another jumpsuit and likewise a pack on her back.

“That was quick” he stated.

“I’m always ready go. Rivel’s not anymore”

“Rivel…?” he asked puzzled.

“That’s what she calls herself now. Rivel Blackwing before she married”

“Blackwing?” He glanced at the still prone woman. “Well…. Alright, I’m curious. Who’s the nerf herder?”

“Simon Desvelles and he really is a nerf herder”

The gunman barked out a laugh, then shook his head slowly, smirking. “She settled with a nerf herder? Ahhh, I’d love to harass her about that, except we don’t have the time to wait. Lets go”

“What about Simon and….”

“What about them?” snapped back the gunman. “I’d say leave em. She’s obviously so happy she can ignore basic rules. If that’s what she wants, well she can have it”

“But….you said that what you did would be a clear pointer. Maybe Rivel can handle some, but Simon…” she looked at the still prone farmer “… doesn’t know what a blaster is. He’ll just be executed”

He glanced at Desvelles, then swore viciously. “Remind me to give her a clip around the ears for this. Yes, of course we’ll need to take them with us. Damn it all! You go watch, I’ll deal with these two” Jina nodded, moving to the exit door as the gunman pulled a small device out of his pocket. Placing it on the neck of the farmer, he depressed once, a small hiss coming in response. A moment later, Desvelles began to stir once again.

--

Consciousness came back like a sludge dripping over rock. Simon felt the pains in his body first, then a voice, quiet but harsh near him saying words.

“… et up”

“Whhhaaaaa?” Desvelles groaned.

“Good, your coming awake. Listen to me nerf herde and listen well. Your wife has put you in danger. You have to come with me”

Desvelles blinked, seeing a set of boots near his head. He twisted his neck to look up, to see the gunman whom had so violently invaded his home. Cigar in in mouth, but no gun in hand. Well that was a small blessing. “Who are you?”

“The name is James Tohmahawk. I used to be the Commander of the Republic’s war machine until I retired. Right now, you and your wife are in a lot of danger. I shot six beings that were about to come here and do the same to you last night and I have reason to believe there’s more. Now get up if you want to live”

All Desvelles could do was blink in confusion. The gunman sighed, then dragged Simon to his feet by his hair. Yelping, Desvelles got to his feet quickly, nearly falling over as a wave of dizziness passed over him. He barely noticed as the other man went to Rivel, bent down to examine her and then gave a muttered curse. “Where’s her amulet?”

“Her what?”

“She would have worn a amulet on a chain around her neck when she turned up in this @#%$ hole. Where is it”

Desvelles felt offended by the insult to his home, but he decided not to respond to that. “She keeps it in a draw in our room. Your not intending to steal it..?”

“No, but it comes with us. Your going to get it, plus a change of clothes for her. Move it”

The tone of command almost made his feet move before he could think. “Wh…Why?”

“Because she’ll need them. Move it”

A moment later, he was in the room he and his wife shared, the gunman following. Moving fairly quickly under the pressure of the stranger’s stare, Simon grabbed a few of Rivel’s clothes, then took out the old amulet she used to wear.

“Give it here”

Simon did so, the jewel disappearing into the gunman’s coat. Simon glimpsed the weapons, before the coat recovered them. “Downstairs. Your carrying the bitch”

Desvelles felt a jolt of anger at the insult. “You may have us under your control, but I would prefer you not call my wife that”

What would you prefer, moron? Idiot? She’s the one that’s got you in this. Now shut up and move”

Simmering, Desvelles did so. As he re-entered the kitchen, he noted Jina wasn’t there, something he hadn’t noticed before. He bent over Rivel, picking her up easily.

“You got good sized speeders here, nerf herder?”

“Yes”

“That’s where we are going”

Desvelles had to admit this day was getting more and more perplexing. First a multiple murder, then his wife, normally so soft and loving turned into some sort of fiend. Then this gunman, whose name he couldn’t recall…”Who are you?”

“Told you already”

“I was still half out”

The gunman seemed to snarl before answering. “Tohmahawk. Now shut up and get to this speeder”

“What if I say no?”

“Then you die. Any questions? No? Move it Nerf Herder”

A few minutes later they had gotten across to where Simon kept his speeders, entering the low building which was semi dark inside. Tohmahawk found the light controls, turned them on to reveal 6 speeders, most of them work machines, except for one that was a fairly new 4 seat model that Simon had gotten not long before his wedding. With a handwave, Tohmahawk indicated for Desvelles to place Rivel in the back seat, then to get into the left hand front seat. A brief examination of the controls showed it was dual control, with a fair few switches and levers that interested Tohmahawk greatly. He seemed to be pleased with it, which Desvelles had to admit, he found puzzling. A speeder was just a speeder, right? Tohmahawk enclosed himself on the other front seat, indicating Desvelles to move the speeder outside.

A moment later, Jina jogged up and tossed her pack into the back seat, along with an extremely nasty looking gun and another bundle she was carrying. She vaulted the side and onto the seat next to the still unconscious Rivel. Desvelles noted the young woman now had a gunbelt on with the black handle of a gun poking out of the holster and a cylinderal device at her hip.

“They’re coming, from the west. About five minutes away”

“Your flying farmer. To the east first then we circle around back to the mud hole at the bottom of the cliff” stated Tohmahawk in response. Desvelles could only nod, accelerating the speeder He would love to ask questions right now, especially as it appeared that Jina actually knew this man. Somehow he doubted this Tohmahawk would appreciate questions of any kind, so he just simply did as he was told – but he listened as they began to talk.

“So where do we go now?” asked Jina

“You know the lay of the land better than I do. We need to get back to the main city of this planet, which is a far distance. I’ll need to shake any pursuit first. Where’s the best place?”

“Farview I think. It has spaceport facilities as well”

“How far?”

“Few hours. You know, if those speeder have scanners, they’ll be reading us?”

“I know, but we cant take them on at the house. We’re too isolated and too obvious. Best to get in the sewers and disappear with the rest of the trash first”

“Then get to your ship and just get out of here? What about Simon here?”

Tohmahawk gave Desvelles a flat look. “I’ll think of something. Until then…” He paused, looking behind. “Your right, they must have scanners and they’re moving very, very fast. Hit the accelerator nerf herder!”

Simon throttled up as far as he dared, the speeder skimming the ground. Tohmahawk turned to look forward, then backwards once more. “How far to the valleys?”

“About an hour” replied Jina.

“They’ll probably be close by then. All we need is a lead when we get to the valley. Cant this damn thing go any faster?”

“I’m already going as fast as it can!” Shouted back Desvelles.

“Without looking, Tohmahawk reached a hand out and slammed the power bars full forward. “NOW we’re at full power” he stated as the speeder leaped forward. Desvelles held the controls for dear life, praying that he could control this thing at a velocity he never went close to. Seemingly unworried, Tohmahawk just continued to look backwards. After some minutes of silent observation, he spoke again. “They’ll catch us in about 45 minutes. How far away from the valley are we?”

Simon hardly dared to speak, still petrified by the speed they were going at. His whole mind and body were just concentrating in keeping the speeder going in the right direction and not crashing. Jina instead replied. “About 45 minutes. It will be close”

“As long as we get there first, that’s all we need”

The voice was glacially calm, which Desvelles just couldn’t understand. Going at full speed in a speeder, being chased by someone and it was just a matter the fact situation? And even worse, Jina was the same.

Minutes swept past, Tohmahawk occasionally looking back, sometimes making an assessment with Jina. It was all Desvelles could do to just keep the speeder straight and still airborne. Finally, he saw the outward landmarks that marked the valley that Lowhold was in. He had never dared to think about looking back, so he could only assess from Tohmahawk’s words that they were indeed going to get to the valley well ahead of the pursuit. Desvelles began to throttle off, getting ready to come to a virtual stop and float down the cliff. As the motors cut power, Tohmahawk whipped his head around.

“What the bloody hell are you doing?!” he yelled.

“I have to…” stuttered Desvelles, meaning to tell the other that they had to back off to take the cliff safely.

“NO YOU DON’T!!” With that, Tohmahwk adjusted his seat forward, grabbed the controls on his side of the speeder and shoved the accelerator forward, hard.

Oh God, we’re going to die thought Desvelles, frozen in complete fear, staring at the maniac who was surely hurtling them to their deaths. Jina however seemed unconcerned, sitting in her seat. The cliff edge ripped upwards and in a blink, they were over.

And the madman cut the power to the thrusters, allowing the speeder to freefall. Desvelles felt his throat so constricted, he couldn’t scream as he so desperately wanted to. Abruptly, Tphmahawk hit the accelerator forward hard, doing something with other controls. Desvelles greyed out with the g-force, felt a bump as the sppeder brushed the ground, then tore off along the bottom of the valley.

“They….are still following James. You got away from them a bit tho” stated Jina, looking backwards.

“If you don’t have restraint harness on, do it now” yelled out Tohmahawk

WHAT?!?! Now he wants us to wear crash restraints?!? He’s insane, surely this can’t be real….. Desvelles still managed to grab the harness, clicking it home. He noted Jina was doing the same with Rivel, whom was still unconscious. Tohmahawk slipped his harness on one handed, still managing to guide the speeder towards an area where the valley began to narrow. Desvelles seemed to find the courage to mutter a few words “No…way…”

Tohmahawk just simply clicked home the last piece of webbing, placed both hands on the control surface, then seemed to just simply turn the speeder an extension of himself. It was probably a bad description, but it was what it seemed. Unlike Simon, whom barely knew more than straight flight, Tohmahawk just seemed to control the speeder by thought. As the walls of the valley narrowed, the craft banked and turned, almost precisely in the middle of the chasm. A controlled bourst of power and the speeder slid around the next corner, smoothly and without fuss. The pursuers were much more ragged, but still managed to keep up. Still keeping the speeder in the middle of the valley, it took a few more corners almost like it was on guide rails.

“Are they gaining?” yelled out Tohmahawk

“Yes! About 100 meters and closing fast!” yelled back Jina. Desvelles saw the first hints of a smile on Tohmahawk. He also saw that Tohmahawk was not using full power, almost as if he wanted them to catch up. A blaster shot zipped past, then another.

“James!!” cried out Jina. “Speed up!”

Very, very abruptly, Tohmahawk turned right, slamming the power levers hard forward. Desvelles got a glimpse of the towering rock face in front of them, before the flight evened out once again. The first speeder, suckered into coming to close, didn’t see the turning in time and slammed into the cliff, exploding as the other two craft barely made the turn. “One down!” yelled Jina.

Now there came more turns and twists as the chasm became a canyon, presenting rock outcrops, landslides, sharp turns and narrow sections. Tohmahawk seemed to be playing with the pursuit, never going too fast to outrun, but always giving the chasers some hope of a mistake. Desvelles had never seen anything like it, especially as he now was beginning to understand what Tohmahawk meant about getting to the valley first.

Where DID he learn to fly like this?

Up ahead, there was a set of natural features Desvelles knew of and his heart almost froze. No….. He began to pray for Tohmahawk to slow down, hoping against hope this insanity would stop. Because right ahead was what was known as The Gap, a place that narrowed down to a space barely wide enough for a speeder, known as a place where Ukio’s daring youth would test their courage and fly through it at the highest speed they dared. Tohmahawk didn’t seem concerned, keeping the power levers hard against the stops. Desvelles couldn’t look. He closed his eyes and prayed that God would somehow, somehow spare them from the crash.

What did I do to deserve this? I’m just a farmer!

With almost an arrogant wrist flip, the speeder twisted up, blasted through The Gap on it’s side. Reflected noise blasted back, filling the passage with engine roar. The craft burst out the other side, streaking forward and then right to take a bend. Behind, the leading speeder over adjusted and smashing itself onto the entrance of The Gap. Flames and debris scattered as it dissolved itself with a bellowing boom, the second speeder barely making it through both The Gap and also the destruction, only to fail to take the bend. It too exploded as it hit the cliff face, scattering rocks and metal in a wide fan. Tohmahawk took the next left without slowing down and the next turn as well.

“James! They’re crashed, slow down!” yelled Jina, showing the first signs of panic Desvelles still had his eyes closed and only opened then when a shrill scream nearly blew his eardrum out. Startled, he turned to see Rivel, wide eyed, screaming and in a painc. Without taking his eyes from in front, Tohmahawk reached to his hip and drew out the biggest handgun Desvelles ever saw and pointed it at Rivel’s eyes. She immediately quietened, but stared down the barrel. Desvelles could still see his wife was breathing heavily and was still on the edge of losing control again. Right now, he didn’t know what comfort he could give as he was close to losing it too.

“TOHMAHAWK! SLOW DOWN!!!” screamed Jina.

“Ahh @#%$, spoil all my fun!” grumbled the gunman, but with the handgun still pointed at Rivel, he did indeed slow down to something quite resonable, finally. And even came to a stop, allowing the speeder to hover stationary over a smooth patch of grass.

“All those that want to vomit can do so now” stated Tohmahawk and indeed, someone was retching and being quite ill. Desvelles almost wished it was him and not Rivel, whom had unstrapped herself and was at present hurling her stomach onto the grass below. Tohmahawk smirked, returning the handgun to it’s holster.

“Don’t bloody smile you sadist. She threw up all over the back seat!” snapped Jina. “I think I’ve been sprayed too!”

“No you haven’t But I think she’ll need a clothing change though. We’ll stop here for ten minutes while she finishes barking besides, I can do with a leg stretch. Coming Jina?”

The younger woman looked puzzled, then her face cleared and she nodded. Both her and Tohmahawk climbed out, leaving Rivel and Simon alone in the speeder. Rivel threw up once again, hanging over the side.

“How are you feeling?” asked Simon, realising almost straight away what a completely stupid question it was.

“I’ve felt better” gasped Rivel, before throwing up once again. She finished off, before flopping backwards into her seat. “Are we safe?” she asked, eyes closed.

“If that madman doesn’t fly this thing again, most likely. I think all my nightmares came true just then”

She smiled slightly. “I thought it was a nightmare. One moment I was in our home and the next there was a cliff wall rushing up to us. I wasn’t expecting that”

“Be glad you were unconscious for most of it. That man is utterly insane”

“What man? What are we doing here?” asked Rivel. Simon explained rapidly, leaving verily little out. Rivel listened quietly until he had finished.

“And this gunman… Tohmahawk you said?”

“Yes”

“ He got dark hair, young looking?”

“No, more grey and fairly weather beaten face. Got a short beard. He’s standing over there with Jina”

She turned to look and stared for a moment “That doesn’t look like the Tohmahawk I know”

That surprised Desvelles. “You know this man?”

“Maybe. I know of a Tohmahawk, but he doesn’t seem right. Oh frell, I’m a mess! Yuck!” she exclaimed, noticing the mess her clothes were in.

“We bought a change of clothes for you” said Desvelles.

“Either we’re expected to go on a trip or this Tohmahawk expected this mess”

“I think expected. Jina seems to have thrown up too”

“She did?” Rivel placed a hand on her neck, fingers lightly stroking near her jugular “Nixotol. It’s a knock put drug that Jina and I react badly to. If that’s the real Tohmahawk, he did that deliberately. Did the bastard also kick me while I was out, because it feels like it”

“Yes, he did. I tried to stop him but…” Simon shrugged, looking embarrassed “I don’t fight that well. Sorry” he added with a rueful smile.

Rivel smiled in return. “Help me get changed first and I’ll start to show you”

“Thanks, but I’d rather not”

“You might need it Simon, if that’s really Tohmahawk. Ew, I still cant walk properly! He must of really dosed me up. Help me change?”

Without further comment, Develles helped his wife change out of the soiled clothes and into fresh ones. She had regained motor control and was flexing muscles and tendons, with Desvelles cleaning the back seat of the speeder, when Tohmahawk came back, Jina in tow.

“Finished have we?”

Rivel spat back a reply in some language Desvelles never heard of before. Tohmahawk replied in the same tongue, ending in a vile insult in Basic. He glanced at Desvelles, before continuing in the alien tongue as before. Rivel replied and it was clear in a few seconds they were both having a very, very heated argument. Somewhat bemused, Desvelles sidled up to Jina, who seemed to be following the ‘discussion’. “What are they saying?” he asked “And what are they speaking?”

“It’s Twil’lek” in a tone that implied Simon was stupid for not knowing “and they’re arguing about …. Oh… oh dear”

“What? And you remember your place Jina. Just because I don’t know this language doesn’t mean I’m stupid. Now, what are they arguing about?”

Jina glanced at Desvelles, then down his groin and then back up, going distinctly red “I’d rather not say” she said pathetically

“What?!? Tell me!”

“Well it’s… you know… she’s making a size comparison and he’s making suggestion’s she as big as a… “ Jina’s face flamed almost as red as her hair. “Ummm…. Do I really need to translate?”

“No… I think I got the gist. Do you two… know this man?”

Jina shrugged. “We’ve met”

“That didn’t answer my question Jina”

Again she shrugged. “I know, it wasn’t meant to. He’ll tell you if he wants to. Other than that, it’s best you don’t ask.

Quite abruptly, the argument broke into Basic. I don’t give a bantha’s rectum what you think! You were told and that’s all there is to it. Damnit, I trusted you!” yelled Tohmahawk

“Well, it’s not like it was my fault!” snapped back Rivel.

“NOT YOUR FAULT!?! It’s all your damn fault! Don’t you think you had a choice?!”

“How about you put yourself where I am for a second, you selfish bastard!”

“I have, every damn day for the last ten years!! You think I would drop everything even after that long? Now get your hormones in order and begin thinking straight, because your going to look after boofhead over there!”

“What’s a boofhead?” asked Desvelles

“An idiot” replied Jina.

“Oh…” Simon felt a bolt of anger, finally getting worked up with the gunman’s constant stream of putdowns. “Listen mate, you might be some big out worlder and you might be carrying and stuff, but you lay off with the insults!”

Tohmahawk paused in mid yell. “And who’s going to stop me? You?”

He felt his anger drain away as fear took over, as the other man’s eyes bored in on him. Even as his heart sunk to his boots, he plucked up a bit of courage, walking over to where the smaller man stood. “If I have to” he said, as a challenge. Normally Desvelles towered over everyone, but even with a considerable height and muscle bulk advantage, Tohmahawk had a presence that negated the difference in size and made the farmer seem tiny. Still, Desvelles did his best to appear determined. To his considerable surprise, Tohmahawk’s gaze went from rock hard to mild. He reached down into a pocket and pulled out a cigar, before using Desvelles vest to light a flame stick. A few puffs later, the cigar was alight, Tohmahawk’s squint once again boring in on Desvelles. He chewed the end of the cigar for a few seconds and then breathed out a haze of choking blue smoke into the farmer’s face. Desvelles blinked, desperately trying not to cough and sputter at the foul smoke. To Desvelles’ surprise, Tohmahawk laughed and then spoke quietly in his gravely voice.

“Alright. What did you say your name was again?”

“S-s-imon Desvelles”

Tohmahawk nodded, then stuck a hand out, which Desvelles, to his own surprise, accepted and shook. “I’m General James Tohmahawk, retired” Tohmahawk released his grip (Which Desvelles had to admit, was an absolute killer, wringing his hand and thankful the handshake hadn’t lasted longer) and then turned. “Desvelles and Rivel are in the back. Jina, get in the front. How far are we from… Farview, is it?”

“Yes, and it’s about… 20km” replied Jina.

Tohmahawk nodded, beginning to walk around to the other side of the speeder. Jina took one hard edged look at Desvelles, seeming to see something she never had before, then turning away and leaping lightly into her assigned seat. Rivel however had wide eyes that shone. She bit her lip, looking at Simon’s face.

“I… never thought I’d ever see that” she said, before quite abruptly hugging him fiercely. “You big stupid nerf herder! Oh I love you!”

“Wha…? What?” exclaimed Desvelles, rather startled but Rivel’s action. She looked up again and this time there were quite clearly tears in her eyes. Yet her expression said she wasn’t sad – far from it. “Okay Rivel, explain?”

“You just did something very very dumb Simon, but something very brave. I’m proud of you!”

“What, standing up to that man?”

“Yes! You have no idea how many others wouldn’t even dare. He’s a terrible, terrible man to have as an enemy”

“Like those men he shot at Lowhold? That was him, right?”

“I don’t know, but probably”

“OI, COME ON YOU TWO!” interrupted Tohmahawk from the speeder.

“We had better go” said Rivel, disengaging from the embrace. Desvelles moved around the other side of the craft, feeling somewhat better. He got in, with Rivel immediately snuggling in beside him. He had to admit, he felt somewhat braver now, with Rivel by his side. Maybe not quite enough to face Tohmahawk’s flying…

“You mind if you went somewhat slower?” asked Desvelles.

“Don’t push your luck farmer” growled back Tohmahawk, but in the rest of the trip to Farview, he did notice the speeder did go slower. Not much, but enough.

--

Farview was the local capital, founded many hundreds of years earlier. It was built on top of a escarpment and was quite well spread out. For Ukio, it was considered quite modern and clean, well spaced and airy. There wasn’t many tall buildings, but there were some, in the wealthier sections that sprawled considerably. It was a place Simon Desvelles went to infrequently now, but in his youth,, he spend a lot of time there. It was also here where he had crossed paths with Rivel and Jina for the first time, 4 years ago…

The farmers of the area were having one of their infrequent meeting, discussing issues locally and also to do with Ukio’s ruling Overleige. Despite their few numbers, the farmers held a great deal of sway over Ukio, being the source of it’s wealth. He didn’t really think much of politics, but understood it’s importance. The farmers would come to the tapcafe and vote, then one or two of their number would then take the collective standpoint to the seat of government. He wouldn’t contribute a lot, but being one of the largest landholders and probably the wealthiest, plus coming from one of the longest line of farmers, his views when spoken were weighty and nearly always the last word. Tonight, he wasn’t really listening, but was instead with his two near neighbours, Twiller and Fregory, playing a quiet hand of sabacc, couple of bottles of drink on the table, Twiller eating some sort of exotic clam. Fregory expounding on his latest trip, telling them of the latest things he had seen.

“You should travel one day Simon! The Galaxy is an amazing place!” Fregory exclaimed

“So’s home. Why would I want to go travel, when I have everything I want right here?”

“Aye, but you don’t have a wife Simon. Don’t worry about the stream of lassies coming by your door, go find one out there! You should see them! Why, there are women out there that would make you forget the frumps here, make a man leave home for good I’ll warrant”

“I like home and I don’t mind the frumps here”

“Aye, you didn’t mind them a lot more a few years ago” interjected Twiller. Simon had to smile at that.

“True, but that was a few years ago Yveyss. Cutting a swathe through the female population isn’t my idea of fun anymore. Seems…pointless to me. Besides, the land is a better lover than any woman. Your just in denial Fregory of it’s call. It’s in you blood”

“Spoken like a true farmer” beamed Twiller

“Aye, but she be a cold mistress. Not like say the woman over there in the black….woowee! Get a look of her!”

Simon turned, to see a girl, flame red hair and startlingly green eyes, sitting on one of the high stools and sipping something with a straw. “The girl? Bit young aint she?”

“No, no! The other one! The one joining the girl, in black! They don’t make em like that here!”

He looked about, before seeing what Fregory was so excited about, and he had to admit, for once, Fregory had a point. She was tall, dark hair, dark eyed and wearing a skin tight black leather long sleeve and leg jumpsuit that enhanced what was already a spectacular set of curves. The woman was bearing two plates of food to where the girl sat, oblivious to the male stares she was getting. “Oh I don’t know. They make them pretty well about here. Besides” he said turning “If she’s an outworlder, you think us nerf herders have a hope? Just be glad you have what you do Fregory”

“What, are you normal man? How can you say that?”

He gave the woman another look, before deliberately turning away/ “No, there’s just better things to do than chasing skirt. Damn, looks like I’m busted from this game. Anyway gentlemen, I have to be goinghome, I have a lot to do tomorrow. Good night to you all”

The others said their farewells, he went through the front door without a glance back. But not exactly home, not yet. He took his speeder out to a point on the outskirts of the city, parked and stepped down onto the grassed field. He had some years earlier begun to believe in the existence of a God, but recently his beliefs were getting stronger. Sometimes, he would just sit outside, contemplating the night sky, just letting his mind wander. It was incredibly peaceful and something to keep his feet firmly grounded. Once, like Fregory, he had dreamed of leaving, of being something else, but the accident had seen those dreams shattered and rearranged. On that day he had seen several of his friends die, he had discovered a change of priorities in the aftermath. It had taken him years to recover from the grief and he had come out of it a drastically changed man.

It was almost two hours, just staring upwards at the stars by himself, when he heard a noise – the sounds of grass being disturbed by footsteps. He came up onto an elbow, puzzled as to whom could be out here at this time of night. He was not a hunter, but in his eyars on the land, he had had developed extremely good senses. He could tell it was a single set of feet, light and not really using caution. He relaxed, wondering if it was someone just like him, just coming out to experience the wonder of the stars above.

To his surprise, it was the female outworlder that was dressed in the skintight leather. The darkness made her hard to see, but not hear. He could hear every footstep and every rustling movement. He relaxed, settling back to continue staring upwards, although he did have to wonder just what that woman would be doing here.

By the muttered comments he could now here, working off a foul mood was the most likely thing. She was cursing about unwanted male attention, a stream of vitriol that was almost mind boggling.

“Stupid frelling bunch of **** ***** ******! How dare they presume that I want ***** ***** ****** and ****! All of them frelling bunch of nerf herders!”

He had no idea why he spoke at that time. “Easy up lady. Some nerf herders are nice guys”

She was clearly startled. “Who are you?” she replied, trying to find where the voice came from.

“I’m a nerf herder” He said, getting up.

She spotted him, now standing next to the speeder. She seemed tense by the tone of her voice and the stiffness she held herself. “A nerf herder?”

“Yep, certainly am. I must have one heard of up to 10,000 and that’s only one of several”

She was clearly surprised. “You mean, there really is such a thing as a nerf herder? I thought that it was some sort of generic put down only”

He sighed. “Well, that too”

“Oh. Ummm…”

“But let me guess. Short man came up to you in the tapcafe? Maybe more than one?”

“Yesssss…how did know?”

“I saw you come in just before I left. One of my associates was already speaking out of order about you then, so I just have to presume he tried to turn words in actions”

“You could say that. And what about you Nerf Herder? Are you going to try the same?”

“You think I would do that, if I made point of leaving before? There’s better things to do than chase tail. Like star gazing”

She looked up, surprised. “Star gazing?”

“Yes, just sitting just marvelling at them. I take it you never have?”

She continued to look up “When I was a child. Not since I found out what was out there”

“And what’s out there?”

“She sighed. “Pain. Suffering. The galaxy is a dangerous place ..” she turned her head, looking at him “I can’t go calling you Nerf Herder. What do they call you?”

“I’m Simon Desvelles, Master Herdsman. Whom do I have the pleasure of speaking to?”

She paused, still staring upwards, seeming to make up her mind. “I’m Rivel Blackwing.” She went quiet, then slowly sat down, still staring upwards. She continued to look up, hardly noticing as he sat alongside. After some time, he could hear her beginning to sob quietly, which he pointedly ignored. She eventually sniffed, wiping her face with the back of her hand. “I wish I could see the wonder you see Simon. All I can see is the pain that’s been caused to me”

“I know how that feels” he muttered quietly, not meaning for her to hear. But quite clearly she did as she turned her head to regard the man now sitting next to her. She continued to stare quietly as he just looked upwards. Presently, he heard a shuffle and then felt her body touch his. He could feel how warm she was, even through the leather she was wearing. And he had to admit to himself as he continued to stare upwards at the myriads of stars, the sensation was unexpectantly pleasant. Even as the night became colder, they sat there, together, not speaking. It must have been well past local midnight, before Rivel moved.

“I really have to go back to where I’m stay, my daughter will be getting worried” She stood up, brushing herself off. “Your right. The stars are magnificent from here” She went quiet while Simon likewise got up before continuing “Thankyou”

“What for?” he asked.

“For… well…” she stopped, seemed to think for a moment. “ For being genuine. It’s not easy finding anyone who’s got no ulterior motives”

He didn’t answer, couldn’t answer.

“Well…. Farewell Simon.”

“No, don’t go…not unless I know I’ll see you again” He regretted saying it immediately and cursed himself.However, even in the darkness, he could see her smile.

“You know how dumb that sounded?”

He nodded. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to sound forward or anything…”

“Well, I’m not going, not for a while yet. Do you come to this place often?”

“Well…” He took a breath, bracing himself “Not often. But Lowhold, I’m there every week or so. How about…”

He didn’t need to continue, for he saw her smile grow