PDA

View Full Version : Well-honed

Gunfighter Jane X
Feb 25th, 2002, 06:15:44 AM
Jane stood in front of the mirror in her hotel room. She didn't look for the sake of vanity; if that was the case she would've been satisfied. She was still beautiful, still in her prime years. But inside? She felt old, callous, and most of all, tired. The past two years of her life had cost her money, respect, and her fiancee'. Nobody knew who killed him, even though he was shot in high noon. The tired and cliched excuses only served to weigh her down.

Tav was of low station, and on a planet like Carida, that meant he was doomed to a life of menial existence. Jane was the daughter of an Imperialist tibanna baron, and a social debutante. If her father had his way, she would've married the son of his rival, and cemented a profitable business merger. It wasn't what Jane had in mind. They all said that Tav seduced her, and made her think the way she did. But Jane knew that you couldn't reign-in a wild horse. She knew the feelings she felt for Tav were hers, and hers alone. Her father was outraged, and yet with all his fury, could do little to control her. Jane left the family and the family fortune, running to Tav, with enough money to secure a trip off-planet and a life out from under her family's shadow.

But it wasn't meant to be. A shot rang out at the spaceport. Tav was dead before he hit the ground. Out of the hundreds there, nobody saw the gunman. Tav was no choirboy, and he was a good gunslinger. Jane knew that his killer was a professional. But she never had a name, never had a face, and never had the identity of the one who put the hit out. It was her eternal curse. Every day, she woke up, made herself marginally presentable, and clipped on Tav's holster, with Tav's blaster. It was the one thing that belonged to him that she didn't bury him with. When they put him in the ground, she gave up her namesake. Until she put Tav fully to rest, she'd simply be "Jane X".

So now she stared back at herself. At a face that radiated beauty, but eyes that were far too hard for the rest of her features. She'd come full circle from the aristocratic girl she used to be. Life away from her family with nearly no money dwindled her options to a few bad ones. She had enough dignity to never become a prostitute, but she had neither the connections or the luck to land a decent job. All she had was a seething hatred for her Tav's murderer, and Tav's gun. She learned her slain fiancee's art, and learned it well. Pacing off and plinking soda cans at 100, 200, then 300 yards, her hands became springloaded death traps, ready to snatch up her piece and send home a killing bolt. But killing for hire wasn't a glory job, and even tougher for somebody with a moral compass. Often, the kill was point-blanc, and even if it was truly one of the bad guys, it didn't stop them from crying for their mothers as they bled dark blood from their stomachs in a downward spiral to the afterlife. Seeing it once cut your soul deep like a razor's edge. Seeing it every time only cemented an ugly scar inside that would never heal. Then there came a time where Jane simply lost count. Every poor bastard she sent to Hell simply made getting to Heaven that much more of a lost cause.

Jane drew back from her inner speculation, returning her thoughts back to more mundane things. She made a passing attempt to fix her hair, and slid on some practical clothing. Everything was to fit a purpose, and she did little nowadays for frills. It had even been half a year since she'd touched a makeup set. With a last glancing-over, she left for the Bar & Grill.

She arrived shortly thereafter, exiting her hovercab and walking in. Immediately she was met by a doorman, one of the local guards. He asked her to turn her sidearm in before she entered. Her hand slowly went down to her pistol's grip, then froze as Jane hesitated, her eyes going distant as she wandered into her thoughts.

The Shadow Jedi
Feb 25th, 2002, 09:06:26 AM
"Put the gun aside - it's rule. No exceptions"

His voice had a strange accent, his face was covered as he stepped from the shadows, stepping quieter than a ghost, coming around and past the stranger, who seemed reluctant to give her side arm up.

"Believe me, the rule.... it is for your protection. If your unarmed, there are Jedi in there that will consider you less of a threat. And I really dont mean that as a joke, or a snide comment. Some Jedi do not believe in peace and calm, some believe in war and fighting."

Gunfighter Jane X
Feb 25th, 2002, 02:45:55 PM
Jane's hand was as quick as a rattlesnake strike, and in the span of a blinking of an eye, her long-barreled duelist blaster was drawn, barrel pointed at the Jedi. However, Jane knew of Jedi skills, and knew they could sense things that others could not, move faster than others, and many other things. Her trigger finger lay relaxed against the gun's side, not ready to fire. There was no intent in her mind against this man, or anybody here, yet. She was always looking for that one man, but it had been a two year search, and she knew she'd likely never see him here. After two years of gunfighting, it seemed the only way she knew how to draw was fast. Her green eyes looked seemingly through the Jedi, her voice was low and nearly seductive if she were trying for that.

"I suppose if you believe in it, then it must make it right."

In a fluid motion the gun spun several times in her hand, the hilt of the weapon placed in the Jedi's outstretched hand.

"I'm not here to cause trouble."

Jane brushed past him, pulling away a strand of blonde hair that had crept to her face. Her hard eyes panned the room as she came to a barstool.

"Whiskey."

The Shadow Jedi
Feb 25th, 2002, 06:03:08 PM
He accepted the gun, placing it in the hands of the door guards, before walking into the bar itself and going over to the table he preferred.

Sanis Prent
Feb 25th, 2002, 07:39:19 PM
(A shadow loomed behind me, and I heard the thumping of footfalls as somebody approached. I turned, expecting to find one of the locals, but met a face I hadn't seen. Her hair was honey blonde, accenting her green eyes perfectly. She dressed in a practical manner, like so many spacers and other nefarious types around these parts. I knew the style...one of no frills and all functionality. She had a no-nonsense gleam to her eyes, settling down to the barstool next to mine, ready to liberally apply whatever poison suited her fancy. I smiled in a casual manner to her. She looked at me, but that was about it. She had hard mannerisms, like she'd seen some rough things along the way.)

I'd go for a corellian distillery. Anything sullustian around these parts has a rough edge on it.

Gunfighter Jane X
Feb 26th, 2002, 12:39:43 AM
She looked at the man she sat next to, thinking about what he said before nodding.

"Thanks."

Jane turned to a balding man behind the bar, eyeing over the rack of various liqours displayed behind.

"I want the worst Sullustian whiskey you stock here. Pint bottle, over rocks, and leave the bottle here."

The bartender raised an eyebrow, smiling at Jane's odd choice as he went to retrieve it. I kept my eyes forward, and my voice in an unfriendly gruff tone.

"Is that what you call a pickup line around these parts?"

Sanis Prent
Feb 26th, 2002, 01:04:58 AM
(I mulled over my drink, glancing to the woman and smiling. I guess after hearing so many things in a place like this, anything could be construed as such. It wasn't my intention, but then again, I wasn't saying such a thing was a bad idea.)

Well that all depends on if you're looking for one.

(I extended my hand)

Name's Sanis.

Gunfighter Jane X
Feb 26th, 2002, 02:14:34 AM
"No"

Jane took a few gulps off the top of her foul tasting beverage. Setting the glass down with emphasis, she wiped slightly at her mouth.

"I'm not looking for one."

At that point, she looked at the man again. Her face was hard-set, but her eyes seemed to smile - a little.

"Jane. Thats me."

Sanis Prent
Feb 26th, 2002, 04:50:37 AM
(I winced, the brusque rebuttal cutting through the beginnings of a comfortable buzz. But I'd been given the warning signs all the way through. She was a tough cookie, in an equally tough wrapper, and she was sending mixed signals all the way. Pretty face. Cold shoulder. Her lips were tight unless she was taking a drink from that vile sullustian spirit. It was all sport hunting to me, and I knew when and if to put my reputation at stake.

Or maybe I just didn't take a hint.)

You got a last name?

EDIT: Jane, bump.

Gunfighter Jane X
Feb 28th, 2002, 09:21:16 PM
Jane's eyes turned away from the man.

"No. Just Jane."

She took another drink?

"You done with the small talk, or is there something else you want?"

Sanis Prent
Mar 1st, 2002, 01:36:46 AM
(If I didn't get the message before, I sure as hell got it now)

Nah, just the chit-chat. Sorry to intrude.

(I shrugged her off, returning to my drink.)