PDA

View Full Version : The Room was Empty

Gurney Devries
Oct 1st, 2001, 10:28:55 PM
... save for one man, who found death all too easy to come by, yet managed to keep on living. On his knees, with his head bowed, he looked almost serene. That demeanor truly belied the underlying turmoil which constantly raged within him.

It was when he was alone that it truly got bad; When he couldn't ignore the screaching voices in his head any longer. Sometimes, it was her voice. But more often than not, it was his own voice, berating him for every fault, every flaw and, more importantly, every mistake he'd ever made. Sometimes, he wondered how a man could continue to cling to sanity under such an assault. And the conclusion he came to was always the same: He couldn't.

Silently, not even bothering to lift his head, Gurney reached into the his left sleeve. His hand brushed against the cold blade which he knew was there. Gingerly, he wrapped his meaty fingers around it's hilt and withdrew it slowly, placing it on the floor.

Gurney allowed his fingers to linger on the knife for a minute, caressing the blade softly. The weapon was a true rarity... at least, in his hands it was. Had it been it the hands of it's former owner, it might not have looked so strange - Mistryls hardly ever relinquished their prized weapons, after all.

Touching it was like opening a psychic floodgate, allowing the voices to start their assault anew. He scrunched up his eyes in a vain attempt to try and block them out, like he had done so many times before. Tears began to well at the corners of his eyes from the effort, and he could feel the warm trickled down his cheeks shortly after.

<font size="1">"I must not fear. Fear is the Mind Killer. Fear is the little death that brings total oblivion. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn my inner eye to see it's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing: Only I will remain."</font>

He chanted his matra in a dry, husky voice. Over and over until finally, mercifully, the voices quieted. In silence at last, he began to meditate, falling into a semi-sleep.

Marcus QDunn
Oct 2nd, 2001, 01:23:45 AM
He was walking past the training room, not actually expecting anyone. The halls themselves were quiet, it was well after the time students would be in here. Today, he had been showing these Jedi how to shoot straight with a gun. As Tohmahawk of course.

Most of them couldnt hit a barn door.

He was about to step past the door when he noticed that the room was not empty. Curious, he stepped in the door, to see Gurney Devires, apparently meditating in the middle of the floor.

Odd time and place to be doing that. He was about to turn and leave the student uninterrupted, when he by accident bumped a training droid, making some noise.

Gurney Devries
Oct 2nd, 2001, 04:38:00 PM
There was almost a full second delay between the time Q`Dunn bumped into the 'droid, and the resounding THUNK which followed it. He whipped his head around to find the Mistryl knife, it's blade half buried in the wall roughly 3 inches from his head. Gurney, his hand still frozen in the same position as when the knife left it, relaxed when he saw who the intruder was.

"Careful there, Major - I've been a bit high strung as of late."

Captain Tohmahawk
Oct 3rd, 2001, 08:27:49 AM
His eyes turned to look at where the knife was, buried in the wall. He reached up, then pulled it out

"Yeah, you could say that. Dont normally have knives thrown at me by peolpe in this place, certainly not to my face. Back on the other hand...."

He glanced at the knife.

"Hmmmm. Nice weapon. Where did you get it from?"

He added something, almost as an afterthought

"Something on your mind?"

Gurney Devries
Oct 4th, 2001, 07:10:42 PM
Wincing, Gurney put one hand on his knee and forced himself to his feet. There were a few soft creaking and cracking noises as his joints protested against the movement. He removed the hand from his kneecap and brought it to his face, rubbing his eyes gently.

"The blade was given ta me as a sort of 'Thank You' gift a while back. I saved this lass' life. Wasn't a big deal - I just happened ta be in the right place at the right time to lend a hand. But she insisted on giving me that. Ah ah ah... careful there: It's as sharp as they come."

He walked over, rather slowly, to Tohmahawk and retrieved gently retrieved the knife. Ponderously, he pushed the point of it into the fingertip of his other hand, twirling it about some.

"Not really, sir. I just thought I could use a little quiet time. I heard meditation helps ye get in touch with the Force, and I haven't had much luck doing that meself."

Captain Tohmahawk
Oct 10th, 2001, 09:19:28 PM
" well it does.... but to be honest, unless you have a clear mind and your at peace, you run the risk of touching the Dark Side."

He strode into the room, ebifre seating himself on the floor.

"please.... take a seat. And whie your at it, I'll ask you a question. Why is it the Jedi of yore only took children no older than 6 months to be trained as Jedi?"

Gurney Devries
Oct 17th, 2001, 06:22:23 PM
Gurney did as he was bid, sitting back down. The surprise of being interrupted had worn off, and his melancholy weariness was returning.

"Ta be honest, I have no clue. Where I come from, I've heard that, after a certain age, a person's mind is unwilling ta... 'let go' of the ways it knows. That to try and change their fundamental way of thinking can be disastrous. Issat it?"

Edit: *bump*

Marcus QDunn
Dec 10th, 2001, 07:16:12 AM
"Well said, That's exactly it. It is much easier to teach a mind that has not learned much and is more lwilling to accept what seems impossible. That of course is why you can not touch the Force well, despite your potential....and there is something else. I sense.... your thoughts are distracted. Hmmm, it is much easier to touch the Force if your mind is focused. Does something bother you?"