PDA

View Full Version : The Kata (Open)

Soolin Anjhurin
Mar 27th, 2002, 01:49:07 PM
:: For the past several days since her arrival, Soolin had remained as a recluse aboard her ship, only venturing out to the bar & grill for meals. The ship was her only home, where she slept and where she trained every morning in a large area that she made into a converted dojo with mats and other equipment.

This morning, she decided to venture beyond the metal walls and walked to the Jedi Training Area. It was still very early, the light of day just beginning to shine as she stretched and began her training regiman with a kata. A flick of her wrist and the <a href=http://thesithempire.clanpages.com/sigshop/soolin/pikeanimation.gif> fighting pike</a> sprang to life in her hand. Once it was her Brother's weapon. Now she trained with it diligently, weaving a complex pattern of parries and strikes, moving with the weapon as though she didn't have it ::

Navaria Tarkin
Mar 28th, 2002, 01:54:52 AM
Duty was what kept Navaria awake at night and it was duty that made her an early riser. Seemed that being a Council Member was more worked then what she expected but the young Tarkin wouldn't have it any other way.

As she was making her way towards the Council Room to look over some encoded messages, a small brief sound caught her attention... which was followed by another and another. It was a constant and steady sound that was being carried by the wind to which was almost inaudible but seeing that there was no one in these halls, Navaria took notice.

It was easy to find the source, as there was only one door open to one of the training rooms, and Navaria smiled. Soolin was practicing some katas with a weapon design she had not seen before. The Knight had seen various fighting pike's but not like this.

She remembered her conversation in the bar and grill with Soolin and remembered how sad the Rogue Jedi was... remembering how it pained her own being as well...

Silently, Navaria watched in awe as Soolin diligently practiced her movements fluidly ... almost dancing with the weapon in her hand.

Soolin Anjhurin
Mar 28th, 2002, 01:18:48 PM
:: Soolin noticed Navaria out of the corner of her eye, but her focus remained upon the kata, her movements becoming a blur as she danced in battle with invisible ghosts. A short time passed and she completed the kata, the fighting pike collapsing into a tiny metal cylinder as she knelt in the center of the room. Her pale blue eyes met Navaria's, and bowed her head in respect to the other Jedi ::

Navaria Tarkin
Mar 28th, 2002, 06:35:46 PM
Her eyebrows lifted at the sound of the fighting pike collapsing. Another confirmation that these was a unique weapon that Navaria hadn't seen before.

When Soolin took notice that she had a visitor, Navaria returned the bow, and stepped into the room.

"I didn't want to interrupt. I hope I wasn't intruding but I've never seen that kata before and was intrigued."

Soolin Anjhurin
Mar 28th, 2002, 07:32:26 PM
:: Soolin stands and stretches, then walks over to Navaria ::

"My brother taught it to me, after we left Calan."

Navaria Tarkin
Mar 28th, 2002, 08:02:28 PM
"My brother is military. He decided to follow in my father's steps. If he could do anything like that I probably have a heart attack."

She said with a smile and felt her eyes move to the weapon in her hand. There was no obvious sign on how to activate it.

"How does it work?"

Navaria asked, curiously.

Soolin Anjhurin
Mar 28th, 2002, 08:24:16 PM
"It was designed by the Calanic Order. Far easier to move around without carrying a bulky pike around. And it attracts less attention. It activates as easily as a lightsabre, just the flick of a button ::

:: holds the metal cylinder in her outstretched palm for Navaria to see ::

Navaria Tarkin
Mar 28th, 2002, 10:42:21 PM
"Thank you."

She said, and reached for the small cylinder. Looks were deceiving as Navaria inspected the weapon, but it wasn't entirely seamless.

It took some time but her thumb came across the activation switch and the pike extended almost instantly. Navaria couldn't help but be surprised at the elegance of pike. She took a few steps back away from Soolin so there was enough distance between the two of them.

With both hands, Navaria spun the weapon in front of her and then went to one hand, have the pike weave in a simple pattern from side to side.

After a few passes, the Knight stopped and returned the pike to its small form.

She looked it over once more and handed it back to Soolin.

"You would think it was a comm device or something simple like that. Thank you for letting me look at it."

Soolin Anjhurin
Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:08:13 PM
:: Soolin smiles as she walks to the center of the room and stretches ::

"Would you like to join me? I imagine we could learn alot from eachother."

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:32:11 PM
"It would be an honor, Soolin."

She began removing her outer cloak.

"Considering my duties, I've only had time to train by myself. I can't remember the last time I had a partner besides training with my Padawans."

Soolin Anjhurin
Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:46:42 PM
:: Soolin was thrilled inside, but she kept it very well hidden as she assumed a ready stance. Grimya sat in the corner, queitly observing the two of them. Clanless as she had lived for the last 5 years, it had been too long since she sparred with another Jedi ::

"After you."

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:04:05 PM
Navaria removed her sabre and hung up her cloak near the exit. Considering this was only a physical spar, having such a weapon at her side was not necessary.

She made her way in front of Soolin. Bowing, Navaria pulled back into a defensive stance and cleared her mind. The familiar calm came and through the Force, as well as with her very own sight, Navaria began to size up the other Jedi.

Soolin's stance was new to her. That stood out readily.

"After you."

Bowing her head slightly, she acknowledged the right away.

With Soolin's foreign stance in mind, Navaria decided to head straight at her, looking as if she would attack with fists. Instead, she pulled her punch and tried to sweep Soolin off her feet, trying to get an early advantage.

Soolin Anjhurin
Apr 10th, 2002, 03:02:53 PM
:: Soolin bridges her body backwards into a handstand, then comes back down again, pinning Navaria's sweeping leg with her feet ::

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 10th, 2002, 03:18:01 PM
Her leg was caught pretty good and it was too awkward to use the other one for anything. She shifted her body to a sitting position and reached over to grab Soolin's feet. Pulling them off of her, Navaria pushed the Jedi away and rolled backwards to her feet, quickly getting into a defensive posture.

Soolin Anjhurin
Apr 12th, 2002, 05:00:27 PM
:: Soolin closes with Navaria, not attacking, but trapping Navaria's hands with her open palms, sticking to her every movement as if they were locked in a dance together ::

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 14th, 2002, 10:09:15 PM
It was near impossible to really gain any sort of offense on Soolin or get away from her. Soolin was fast. Navaria would have to use that against her.

She started retreating backwards and Soolin was continuing to lock up with her. After taking a few steps back, Navaria stopped and squated down low abruptly, causing Soolin to loose her balance and topple over her.

Soolin Anjhurin
Apr 16th, 2002, 02:13:02 PM
:: taken by suprise, Soolin's eyes widen as she lands flat on her back ::

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 17th, 2002, 01:17:26 AM
Navaria swivels around and grabs Soolin's left leg and applies pressure to her calf, trying to force a cramp so it would be difficult for her to continue ....

Soolin Anjhurin
Apr 22nd, 2002, 02:24:23 PM
:: Soolin reacts quickly as her muscles cramp.Pushing up with her hands for leverage, she delivers a right roundkick to the side of Navaria's head ::

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 22nd, 2002, 02:50:13 PM
Navaria felt Soolin shift under her and braced herself for the moment of impact. It was coming too fast for her to dodge so her only option was to try and hang on.

The impact momentarily stunned her; stars appearing before her eyes. Opening herself up to the Force, the affects were lessoned considerably.

With continued determination, Navaria was able to keep hold of Soolin's leg and applying pressure.

Soolin Anjhurin
Apr 22nd, 2002, 03:00:59 PM
:: The muscles in her left leg were cramping up worse, and she had to break free. Summoning up a loud kiai, she repeats the attack and plants another roundkick to Nav's ear ::

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 22nd, 2002, 03:07:07 PM
The strength of the attack was much more of a surprise then anything else. Her previous technique had made certain that Navaria couldn't be stunned ... but it didn't help the ringing in her ears along with the splitting pain that shot through her head.

She grunted in pain and rolled to the side, letting go of Soolin's leg. Calming her feelings, Navaria focused on deadening the pain from the attack. She stood up, watching Soolin for her next move while her left eye twitched slightly.

Soolin Anjhurin
Apr 22nd, 2002, 03:44:39 PM
:: Soolin looks up at Navaria, her leg still cramped from the martial hold ::

"You have the advantage. I yield."

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 22nd, 2002, 03:50:59 PM
"Good ..."

Her head was clearer but in no way was she up to full speed.

"... the ringing in my ears hasn't stopped yet. You got me really good."

Navaria smiled and kneeled down in front of Soolin.

"I'm the one that caused it... I can fix it for you."

She motioned to her leg.

Soolin Anjhurin
Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:00:50 PM
:: sits up and stretches leg out ::

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:21:50 PM
Navaria places both of her hands over Soolin's leg and immerses herself deeply into the Force. The pain that she caused was keenly felt and it guided the Jedi into properly relaxing the muscle. After a few moments, the sharp pain became quite dull, though Soolin's leg was still a bit stiff.

She removed her hands and folded them in front of her.

"Once you walk it off, it'll be fine."

Soolin Anjhurin
Apr 23rd, 2002, 06:21:46 PM
:: stands a bit awkwardly and tests her leg ::

"I was right. There is much we can learn from eachother."

:: gives a tiny smile as she holds out her hand ::

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 23rd, 2002, 06:57:05 PM
Navaria mirrored the smile. She reached out for Soolin's hand and then stood up.

"Yes there is. Your fighting technique is impressive and powerful. I've never seen anything like it."

Soolin was standing gingerly still.

"How about we go for a walk? Not only will it help your leg, but you can tell me all about it. Like, is there a name for it?"

Soolin Anjhurin
Apr 26th, 2002, 03:02:15 PM
"The Calanic arts?"

:: starts walking slowly, with Grimya following behind them ::

"Jubei could tell you far more than I can. All that I know was taught to me by my Brother."

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 27th, 2002, 11:30:54 PM
"I know of Jubei's background, I just don't have much time to speak with him. He's usually too busy or not around. The Force only knows where he is ..."

She chuckled.

"I just meant it as a compliment to your skill ... and your brother for teaching you well."

Soolin Anjhurin
May 1st, 2002, 01:27:24 PM
"I still have much to learn. Maybe I can get another lesson or two out of Jubei.It's been a very long time."

Navaria Tarkin
May 2nd, 2002, 12:11:06 PM
She chuckled lightly.

"We all have much to learn in a great many things, Soolin. Not just in fighting."

Soolin Anjhurin
May 2nd, 2002, 12:36:18 PM
:: Soolin nods in agreement as they walk ::

"How long have you been here?"

Navaria Tarkin
May 2nd, 2002, 12:40:08 PM
"At the Order? Only a few years. My time as a Jedi has been short but rewarding. Before that I was a smuggler/slicer."

Navaria smiled as she looked at Soolin.

"Most people don't believe me. I guess I don't look "the type"... whatever that means."

Hari Rendale
May 2nd, 2002, 12:56:48 PM
Satine had dissapeared a few days ago... just up and ran into some ship, and flew away.

So Hari had wandered the Acadaemy for the past day... just looking into rooms without direction, but keeping to herself. She was good at that, and so she stuck to it.

"How long have you been here?"

The voice was familiar... Soolin.

She picked up her walk, and found the pair of women talking. Navaria explained something about slicing...

"Errr hi."

Navaria Tarkin
May 2nd, 2002, 01:08:18 PM
Navaria looked forward at the unfamiliar voice.

"Errr, hi?"

She repeated with a smile.

"You weren't interrupting anything if that is what you are worried about."

Hari Rendale
May 2nd, 2002, 01:34:31 PM
Hari let out a pent up breath.

"I'm Hari." She half smiled at Soolin.

"And I'm sort of lost. Satine just ran off and dissapeared the other day, so I have no idea what I'm supossed to do."

Soolin Anjhurin
May 2nd, 2002, 02:02:51 PM
:: Soolin recognized the girl, even though they had met only briefly ::

"Satine?"

:: she paused a moment, recalling the name. she had also met him very briefly ::

Navaria Tarkin
May 2nd, 2002, 10:27:38 PM
"Another Jedi of the Order. He goes missing every now and then to do whatever it is that he does."

She shrugged.

"He always comes back, just when is the question."

Navaria addressed Hari.

"My name is Navaria Tarkin. Perhaps I could help with something?"

Her eyes looked over at Soolin.

"Or maybe either of us?"

Hari Rendale
May 3rd, 2002, 09:22:23 PM
"Oh..."

Well, that made some sense. Still, she couldn't shake this nagging feeling that something was wrong.

"Since he left, I've been wandering around without anything to really do, but I feel like I should be doing something. But all this Force stuff is confusing." Hari paused. "I don't think its safe for me to do by myself."

Navaria Tarkin
May 5th, 2002, 03:01:27 PM
Navaria was genuinely impressed. The girl was very wise in what she said.

"You are correct. Without proper guidance, the Force is very overwhelming for someone so new. Perhaps... if you wished, until Satine returns, I could look after you.

I know how alone you can feel being new at the Order."