PDA

View Full Version : whats the rules on letting people in here?

ReaperFett
Mar 25th, 2001, 08:08:54 AM
we need to be clearer. I dont let Padawans in. Others let people whove been here a week in. We need rules to follow over this

Darth Turbogeek
Mar 25th, 2001, 07:13:47 PM
I basically wait until I am sure they are dedicated to being a Jedi. I dont think there can be a rule as such, but we simply run off if they are capable of being trusted.

Master Yoghurt
Mar 25th, 2001, 08:21:14 PM
Knights are automatically given access. Padwans are given access when it is shown they can be trusted.

I have on many occasions thought about a "Knights only" rule, however this would block some Padawans out for months, which is not ideal. I suppose a time limit of one month could be introduced, if that is suggested?

ReaperFett
Mar 25th, 2001, 08:31:39 PM
I think we do need some degree of hard and fast rule. I trust some people other wouldnt dream of trusting. Shall I let them in? No. I really dont think we should without either a two month wait, or a council vote for exceptional circumstances

Hart Kenobi
Mar 25th, 2001, 11:27:01 PM
I think any padawan should be voted for to enter. One person might have a skewed impression of a padawan, which hasn't been uncommon in the past. We, after all, do have a Jedi General Assembly now where we can try to find leaders among them.

Jedi Knight Leia Solo
Mar 26th, 2001, 02:45:17 AM
Generally speaking...I have not let anyone in here that has not been in the Old temple.

I always thought we were more likely to give people access when they became knights and no sooner. But I see that varies some. So, I am really not too sure about this.

If padawans are to be let in a, a suggestion is to wait atleast 2 month minmum period and that we know they are trustworthy. Also that they dont have access to other groups closed forums

Hart Kenobi
Mar 26th, 2001, 04:25:21 PM
I definitely feel strange talking about a padawan's worthiness to become a knight when they can also read the thread about them. I STRONGLY dislike having to sugarcoat my opinions.

ReaperFett
Mar 26th, 2001, 05:40:01 PM
true, true, doesnt help council voting when all see it

Jedi Knight Leia Solo
Mar 26th, 2001, 06:29:09 PM
Very true...we use to email votes.

Hart Kenobi
Mar 26th, 2001, 09:36:51 PM
I'd definitely feel more comfortable with that.

ReaperFett
Mar 27th, 2001, 12:50:14 PM
definately NOT e-mail. I like the fact every person can see the votes. e-mail means no valid points which may change an opinion may help. As well as the fact I despise people e-mailing me for things like that. Also, it only takes a counting error, and one person changes a descision. And then some people idstrust others, thinking they may rig it. All these things add up people

Jedi Knight Leia Solo
Mar 27th, 2001, 12:57:50 PM
Ok..Fett. Then what is your suggestions if you want to keep voting private?!

A Close Jedi Council Forum?

Master Yoghurt
Mar 27th, 2001, 04:41:51 PM
"Voting Chamber" would be a more appropriate name. Of course, any results there would have to be announced here.

Darth Turbogeek
Mar 27th, 2001, 07:00:32 PM
What's the problem voting in here? I never had an issue saying something about someone out loud. The only time there has been an email vote was for council.

No, if you have something to say, say it.

TUJK
Mar 27th, 2001, 08:24:33 PM
Sugar coat? What's that?

Better be open, blunt and let everyone know where you stand. Less effort spent tiptoeing, more effort spent doing things.

ReaperFett
Mar 27th, 2001, 08:38:33 PM
no Leia, no new forum. I want them in here, but I dont want every Padawan who has buttered up one admin to see it

Hart Kenobi
Mar 27th, 2001, 09:45:32 PM
It gets to be a pain when every padawan I don't mention IM's me asking me why not and gives me his/her whole infommercial. Also, people seem to get offended by it for some reason if I don't think they're Knight-level. Either we keep Padawans out of this forum from now on (since we shouldn't really be sending the message that some padawans are better than others in the first place) or we should try something like AIM or something where people aren't going to vote because of pressure.

Darth Turbogeek
Mar 27th, 2001, 10:24:01 PM
I tend to agree with the No Padawn thing, but there is a problem. It's called inclusion. You leave people out, they wont feel welcome.

Avalon should be the pinnicle of our access and it shold be a place we speak freely. You have to strike a balance

JediBoricua
Mar 27th, 2001, 10:49:03 PM
Well one of my padawans have access here right now, and I have allowed others in the past.

Why? well because I know them and I trust them, plain and simple.

Hart Kenobi
Mar 27th, 2001, 11:06:39 PM
But that's also playing favorites with people who we should have to judge objectively. That's why there are different levels of Jedi in the first place. To choose one padawan over another isn't fair to the others.

Figrin D an
Mar 28th, 2001, 12:06:35 AM
Basically, for people to have access to this forum, they must prove themselves to be trustworthy, be they Master, Knight or Padawan...

Shutting out all padawans simply on the basis of rank is not the solution. However, we should not allow just anyone to have access to the Temple Avalon forum. Having the council vote on every new potential admission to this forum is incredibly inefficient, yet the choice of admittance should not be made on a whim by a single administrator...

How about this... to be considered for entry into the forum, a person must have been "approved" by a set number of admins/council members... say four for the sake of argument. Once this has been achieved, a thread regarding the issue is opened and will remain open for a 48 hour period in which people can voice any concerns about said person's admittance... if no major concerns are voiced, the person can be allowed access... if someone has a significant problem with someone being allowed in, they can make their case and then the council can vote on it... that will allow some trimming of the 'red tape' by saving a council vote for only extreme circumstances...

Also, let's keep the voting process open and in this forum... it promotes a development of trust among the entire group when there is no discussion behind someone's back...

ReaperFett
Mar 28th, 2001, 08:17:06 AM
yes, I also get that. Ive already had people moan at an opinion Ive given. Also, it does sort of affect the voting. For example, when Leeloo/Rannd wanted back, opinions were given. When its a vote on promotion, everyone always agrees. Whys that? Maybe because they are reading what you put? Im not voting in the promotionthread, accept to put forward Mike. They know why. But its the principal that if I post, I get 5 IMs asking why, which is also known as pressuring

Darth Turbogeek
Mar 28th, 2001, 09:32:43 AM
If people are questioning you dude, you just have to say to your opinion and your not going to relent. I for one wont think less of you, even if it's contrary.

Then again, if you were a Padawan, would you be forward in questioning something I said? Guess there's a flip side to that as well.

TUJK
Mar 28th, 2001, 12:56:37 PM
Thought you were full enough of yourself to withstand any pressure Fett :) (and that's a good thing)

Jace Darklighter
Mar 28th, 2001, 03:36:42 PM
I would have to agree with Figrin. I believe I was allowed access to Temple Avalon after I had been a Jedi for two months and I was active. However, it took me close to 7 months before I became a Knight. Seven months, (give or take), would be a long time to wait until access is given to Temple Avalon for any Jedi. Most of the time, it takes a long time to become a Jedi Knight here; which is good. So I say for each individual the time should be different. Figrin's idea seems perfect since it allows our opinions to be voiced on whether that certain Jedi should be allowed access.

ReaperFett
Mar 28th, 2001, 07:13:36 PM
when people ask me, I just ignore them :)

But what appens if someone on the council is swung easily? Suddenley, the council has 15 members, all making one person change his vote.

And remember, I disagree with knighthood before 3 months. If we did that, I wouldnt mind. Out people are getting promoted after a month or so, and I think that is plain wrong. And these people are getting in after a fortnight or so. I didnt even KNOW of the GJO board until a month after joining!