PDA

View Full Version : :: Too lazy to switch names, something to ponder::

Force Master Hunter
Apr 9th, 2001, 08:41:43 AM
Sorry about not changing names, I'm just plain getting jack of it. Grr! :: Hates EZboard's enforced logoff / logon::

Anyway, ponder this Jedi. We are coming up to the USAsummer holidays and that is a time when we pick up memebers fast. Typically, we triple in size around this time with old members returning and new ones being gained. Think about it. We are quite large now, and getting bigger. What do we have, 50 odd active members? Seems that way to me.

If the EPII trailer is out this Summer, interest will build and we may get a lot of recruits. Be ready of course.

This is where I encourage Jedi Knights to advance to become Masters. You know it will be earned (mainly because my Jedi account is the one who usually does the tests) but because it is earned, it makes it worth it. We will need you to train your Padawans well in the manner expected.

After a lean time, we are building strength again. Teach loyalty. Commitment. Repect. Honour. To go forth and beat the snot out of the Sith. :)

Hart Kenobi
Apr 9th, 2001, 11:20:23 PM
Personally, I think some sort of reward/discipline system would help motivate. Perhaps a monthly contest where the 5 top padawans are given "medals" and praised and the 5 that need most improvement are given suggestions by all the knights and masters.

As for the Master thing, I don't really think you can strive for it. You either have it or you don't.

Jedi Knight Leia Solo
Apr 10th, 2001, 04:04:55 PM
Interesting points DT..It is safet to assume once we get closer to EP2..it will get very busy here. You've made some very valid points we will strive for that goal.

Hart..your idea on contest or challenge isn't such a bad idea. Kind of like "Jedi Of the Month" just like some companies would have "Employee of the month". Hmm..could be interesting. What does everyone think?

Nichos Marr
Apr 10th, 2001, 04:12:29 PM
Well I like Hart's idea, but if it were Jedi of thr Month, not a lot would get on the list. I suggest maybe a Jedi of the Week if this idea were to be used...

ReaperFett
Apr 10th, 2001, 04:26:19 PM
I think it would encourage elitism

Jedi Knight Leia Solo
Apr 10th, 2001, 05:10:50 PM
It might..don't know. Any other suggestions

TUJK
Apr 10th, 2001, 10:27:06 PM
It would encourage the need for a reward for virture, rather than virtue being it's own award.

Sage Hazzard
Apr 11th, 2001, 12:07:22 AM
Selflessness is not needing reward. A true Jedi needs no reward for his deeds.

amichan24
Apr 11th, 2001, 12:44:00 PM
Actually, I'm inclined to agree with Sage about that. However, it would be good to give them some sort of motivation for their training... Kind of like with Pavlov's dogs - give them a treat for doing something and they'll be conditioned to do it. *shrug* It can go one of two ways: we'll have better padawans, or we'll have padawans trying to harm each other to try and show that they are the best.

Hart Kenobi
Apr 11th, 2001, 02:49:26 PM
I think some of you are being a little unrealistic on your expectations of normal people that want to have fun. Rping as Jedi is one thing, but actually expecting them to think and reason as a real life Jedi monks is sorta wrong. C'mon, do you REALLY think anyone here, even the people in this thread TRULY just want to better themselves?

None of us are Jedi, and that's normal. We've been straying off of the "fun" path recently and more into the "cult" path.

If I was mistaken with these assumptions of the function of this board and rp, then I apologize.

TUJK
Apr 11th, 2001, 04:30:09 PM
Personally I take understanding hat you;re doing or attempting seriously... But I'm odd.

Darth Turbogeek
Apr 11th, 2001, 07:32:53 PM
Hey, hold the phone!!!!!

It good being serious - when it's appropriate. It's also cool to have fun - when appropriate. One of our strengths is that we realise we need both. Sometimes its good to be silly and take the piss out of the whole thing... I mean you look at my original post.

I have a tendancy to side with Hart. This is only fun OOC, but IC there should be some seriousness. I have a bit of fun taking the piss out of the whole Jedi thing now and again, but there is also standards I role play to.

Hockey sticks and Frying Pans are no the Jedi way. But it helps realise we need some lighthearted stuff too!

amichan24
Apr 12th, 2001, 12:23:19 AM
In any case, back to the original subject... I say it wouldn't be a bad idea to try it.

Sage Hazzard
Apr 12th, 2001, 01:05:59 AM
Well, I don't mind an awards system. However the Padawans would be expected not to request this. Such as it is frowned apon to ask if you'll become a Knight, Master, etc. But I suppose it can be granted. But it should be treated like rank. Given, not taken.

Ryla Relvinian
Apr 12th, 2001, 02:22:36 PM
I kinda like the idea of an awards system, but more random, so is isn't "do X, get award." What about a 'being kind to newbies' award? Maybe a 'best sportsmanship' award for having to deal with god moding sith? There is a wide spectrum of awards that could just be one time, for one person.

Master Yoghurt
Apr 12th, 2001, 02:52:15 PM
Giving motivation and encouragement for extraordinary performance increases morale and inspires others to follow a good example. We are quick to criticize when something done was wrong, lets not forget to mention when something right is done also. That is what constructive critique is about.

While we certainly should have fun (I certainly do!), it should be done within reasonable parameters - ie a minimum amount of realism in portraying Jedi as keepers of Peace and Justice as opposed to the Sith who seek conflict and destruction.

TUJK
Apr 12th, 2001, 03:00:54 PM
Hey... I'm all for having fun... I do take understanding, learning and teaching seriously though. *waves a hand to the training of 2 of her students* Serious, but with a touch of humour... styrofoam rocks... something that's so odd, nobody thinks of it...

ReaperFett
Apr 12th, 2001, 03:04:01 PM
I dont want to be bombarded by padawans/knights showing every little thing they have done to me in the hope of fuelling their ego