PDA

View Full Version : Is Force lightning a Jedi trait?

Jace Darklighter
May 4th, 2001, 04:24:51 PM
I for one, considered it a characteristic of the Dark Side. After all, we saw the Emperor use it in Return of the Jedi. However, I was somewhat perplexed in finding this picture of <a href=http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/imageFolio/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Characters/Yoda/Miscellaneous&image=YODA_AND_FORCE_LIGHTNING.jpg&img=>Yoda</a>. It displays the Jedi Master using Force lightning. So, is it a trait of the Jedi, as well?

Nupraptor
May 4th, 2001, 04:51:52 PM
Verda, I've seen that picture before, as well: Yog used it for an evil clone of himself a while back. According to what I've read, it's forbidden for a Jedi to use the Force to manifest energy in any form, including Force Lightning. I wish I knew where that picture was from, so I could determine why Yoda was depicted using it...

ReaperFett
May 4th, 2001, 05:05:48 PM
Yog also used to use it in his main account

Master Yoghurt
May 4th, 2001, 05:07:26 PM
The name is Tsuneo Sanda. One of my favorite SW artists.

I would think think the image is just an interesting "What if" artwork. :)

Nupraptor
May 4th, 2001, 05:11:48 PM
just an interesting "What if"You hinting at something? ;)

ReaperFett
May 4th, 2001, 05:18:38 PM
I PERSONALLY think that intent is which side it is. moving something isnt bad. But what if you murder someone with it?

Nupraptor
May 4th, 2001, 05:26:23 PM
Well, like I said: From what I've read, a Jedi shouldn't manifest energy of any sort. Hence why I stopped using my little Fire trick back when I was a padawan and was unaware of this. Had I not read that at several places which I consider valid SW sources, I'd be inclined to agree with you, Fett.

ReaperFett
May 4th, 2001, 05:33:57 PM
but in theory, isnt absorbtion manifesting energy?

Master Yoghurt
May 4th, 2001, 05:34:26 PM
I believe a Jedi may dispose of energy, but for defensive or constructive purposes only. Furthermore, I think there is a good chance we may see example of Yoda demonstrating that in episode 2

Force Lightning though, I clearly define to be of the Dark Side.

You hinting at something?

Perhaps.. :)

Hart Kenobi
May 4th, 2001, 05:39:47 PM
If it turns out a Jedi is able to use Force Lightning, I'd still advocate that you don't.

Nupraptor
May 4th, 2001, 05:43:20 PM
Reaperfett: I think there's a difference between dispersion and creation. As in, they're opposites. :)

Although I'm fairly sure that Lightning could be put to some good use, I'm just trying to follow what little "rules" I've manages to dig up.

Jace Darklighter
May 4th, 2001, 10:03:24 PM
Ah, I see. Thanks everyone. Still, even if it might not be a Jedi trait, I thought it looked cool, nonetheless. :)

Hart Kenobi
May 4th, 2001, 10:05:16 PM
Maybe we'll see in EpII if Jedi Masters have a parallel move.

Darth Turbogeek
May 5th, 2001, 12:18:32 AM
Taken from source of Return of the Jedi..

Force lightning is a corruption of the Force by the Dark Side. Jedi can absorb the energy, the reason why Luke cant is that he isnt as learned and as strong.

There you are. Straight from the screenplay :)

Thence, defend by abosrbtion? Hell yeah. Use Lightning....Ummm..... probably not.

TUJK
May 5th, 2001, 01:11:36 AM
*chuckles and draws circles on the table with finger*

Force Lighting is an attack made with the force that's draining and pain inflicting. It has no redeaming lightside function. There are powers of the force that can create electrical energy with practical uses however.

That said...

A Jedi can't use the force to manifest energy?

Um. Can we say incorrect?

Kinetics is a form of energy, and we've seen Yoda, Obi, Qui-Gon, and Luke all use the force to manifest that sort of energy. And in some cases, it has been used to -attack-.

Now if a jedi can create one form of energy, this means other forms can also be created... (I personally hold that the force is simply another state of energy, like kinetics, electrical, gravitational, magnetic and others) thermal is an easy one, useing kinetics as a basis to make the molecules vibrate and create heat. Electrical is just the motion of electrons...

Nupraptor
May 5th, 2001, 01:30:35 AM
Kinetics is the redirection of energy, not the creation of it. :)

Like I said: I had gotten that little unwritten rule from various readings. If I had access to my own computer, I'd be more than happy to supply links.

That said, I think each person holds there own opinion on the matter. In terms of Force-usage, Nupraptor falls into a more conservative category: He only uses it when there's no other choice, and avoids anything he considers morally wrong. Others can differ. The are literally hundreds of different ways that Jedi have interpreted the Force and limited their usage of it, so no one way is right or wrong. The basic principal that Nup follows is "The more ability you have, the less you should use it."

Sage Hazzard
May 5th, 2001, 01:39:38 AM
Well about the absorbtion of energy, that borders on the Dark Side. In "I, Jedi" Corran Horn uses absorbtion a heck of a lot. But they said in the book that if you do not get rid of the energy quickly the energy will eat you from inside out, for the energy is of the Darkside. Didn't make much sense when I read it, but that's pretty much what it said. So as long as you don't bottle it up I think it's okay to absorb.

Force Lightning, bad guy trait. Simple as that. Why would you want to use Force Lightning anyway? But if you really want to once you become a Master(if you do) you could most likely create a storm and direct the lightning to your opponent. It'd also be more effective in stopping them rather then just making then suffer.

TUJK
May 5th, 2001, 03:10:54 AM
kinetics is a -form- of energy.
And there is no creation of energy anyways... energy is a constant... it simply changes form....

This is part of highschool physics.

*gestures to her pile of SW books and links*

Oh and:
Force lightning: This power is a corruption of the Force, harnessing pure hatred and evil from the user and the Dark Side. When used, it produces bolts of white or blue energy, which flies from the user's fingertips, like sorcerers lightning. These bolts tear through the target, causing intense pain and injury

Tis is why it's not used by jedi. It requires the unleasing of one's emotions to properly use it.

Nupraptor
May 5th, 2001, 01:15:05 PM
And there is no creation of energy anyways... energy is a constant... it simply changes form....This is true. Perhaps I mis-phrased what I was trying to say in order to be better understood.

Kinetics is indeed energy: the energy of motion. But what the Jedi do is Kinetic Redirection. They don't seem to directly manipulate the energy to reach an end, only change it's course.

To create things like Fire, Lightning, etc. I imagine that a Dark Jedi / Sith would accomplish this changing things that are already there (For Example: Accelerating particles in the air until the molecular agitation causes it to combust, thereby creating a fire). While it's not creating something, it's definitely a whole different ballpark than redirection.

And don't mind me, I'm just arguing technicalities.

TUJK
May 5th, 2001, 08:05:16 PM
Uhh...

Let's break this down to simple terms (hey, I'm in an odd mood, so don't think i'm talking down to you.)

Obi moves hand and uses force to knock back droids.

Hand is nowhere near droids.

Movement is acepted as truely unessisary, more of a focusing technique.

The Energy that is labled the force is converted into kinetic energy to propel droids backwards...

Shelding with the force is done in more or less the reverse. Kinetic energy is absorbed, being converted into the force, and passed into the surounding by the jedi...

aAt least my persepctive...

Nupraptor
May 5th, 2001, 08:59:11 PM
Yes, it's sort of arguable about how exactly the Force influences energy strems. :/

TUJK
May 5th, 2001, 10:06:50 PM
More than a bit arguable... I just consider it a seperate form of energy... others consider it a derivitive of electromagneics...

Jedi Knight Leia Solo
May 7th, 2001, 11:32:08 AM
Agree. Plain and simple..A Sith Trait souly the darkside. Dispate..of course. Creating it..absolutely not.