PDA

View Full Version : What would a Jedis view on this be?

ReaperFett
May 10th, 2001, 07:17:40 PM
something that cropped in Boondock Saints

If someone was going round killing people, but they were bad people, is he wrong?

Nichos Marr
May 10th, 2001, 07:30:23 PM
Shoot 'em all and let God sort em out :D

j/k

Seriously, I think he would be wrong. I can understand that he is trying to help the greater good, but killing is not that answer, stated many times by a lot of Jedi. I think he just tumbled too far down the rabbit hole. Killing is never the answer.

Nupraptor
May 10th, 2001, 07:30:57 PM
I think that the traditional Jedi opinion on this would be that it is morally wrong to kill unless absolutely necessary. A Jedi would rather risk his life in an attempt to make the "bad people" forsake their dark path than to simply kill them.

Hypothetical Situation:

Emporer Palpatine is alive and well, ruling the Galaxy with more than an iron fist. He's the cause of thousands of deaths a year, as well as being responsible for the suffering of countless peoples. But if a true Jedi were to face him, he wouldn't strike down the despot unless the Emperor was the one to attack first.

Hence why Palaptine tried to convince Luke to give in to his anger and strike him down in RotJ: The Emperor was unarmed and not threatening Luke's life. By simply killing him, Luke could have saved the lives of many people and essentially sent the Empire reeling, but he resisted the temptation (at least for a while).

However, Luke was still young and inexperienced, so he did strike out at Palpatine, a near-fatal mistake on his part.

TUJK
May 10th, 2001, 11:21:01 PM
Depends on what type of princible the Jedi subscribed to, as well as how you defined bad people.

Personally, I would say more often than not, the jedi would have to step in to stop the killing, unless heavey proof that the one to be killed cannot, or will not change thier ways.

That is of course unless those killed didn't do something entirely stupid like start a war...

Master Yoghurt
May 12th, 2001, 07:50:38 PM
Killing should be avoided, and only be considered when forced to defend lives. A Jedi first seeks all other options to solve problems.

Damel Girte
May 13th, 2001, 02:58:37 AM
I agree with what they've said. A life is a life, and life is not to be wasted. There is a sacredness to even the lowest and most evil souls, if only for the potential of what they could become or the memory of what they had been, even if only as an infant. A Jedi should not kill unless it is absolutely necessary. And even then... it's still a killing.

ReaperFett
May 13th, 2001, 05:53:17 AM
I do mean that the person ISNT a Jedi, I mean what the Jedis view on him is

Sage Hazzard
May 13th, 2001, 02:24:56 PM
OOC - Killing is a crime against the Force, I read this somewhere. It's like the Force's only law.

My character killed many people in his day before the Jedi. At that point he had some, not a lot, but some Force control. So he used it while doing his job. His "punishment" by the Force is "rememberance". In the Force you can see everything, the past, present, future, like layers through time. He is forced to relive his killings throughout time with perfect memory. He also can see through the other person's eyes.

So yes, I believe killing is wrong, no matter who or for what. But some times it is nessecary, but you must pay the price.

Nupraptor
May 13th, 2001, 03:25:54 PM
OOC ~ I agree. I'm involved in an RP right now where Nupraptor is overcome with grief and regret for all the people he's killed in his past. Killing is wrong, no matter how you try to reason it.