PDA

View Full Version : COUNCIL VOTE on council numbers

ReaperFett
Jul 31st, 2001, 01:09:13 PM
ok, heres the idea, to make sure theres some sort of proportion to the council

To get on the council, you need to have had 1/3 of the voters voting for you (including your vote, fractions rounded up), with a minimum of eight members.

EXAMPLE:

If there are 15 votes total, you need five to get on.

If there are 19 votes total, you need seven to get on

I vote YES

Master Yoghurt
Jul 31st, 2001, 01:12:41 PM
I vote yes to this also.

In other words, the 8 top votes + anyone that got 33% of the votes.

Nichos Marr
Jul 31st, 2001, 01:15:49 PM
I vote yes.

Force Master Hunter
Jul 31st, 2001, 06:01:38 PM
NO

straight out top 8. I see no reason why it should be different.

The only variation should be to adjust for the size of Order and I see no reason or justification for any variation

ReaperFett
Jul 31st, 2001, 06:21:04 PM
ok, so what if 8th was level with 9th? What if, say, the votes were exceedingly close, and a person missed out by one. Is it fair on the person? More so, the Jedi miss out on what could be a valuable member

Jedi Knight Leia Solo
Jul 31st, 2001, 06:33:59 PM
I don't see anything wrong with this method..especially if there is a tie for the 8th jedi council member.

Just my 2 cents :)

Force Master Hunter
Jul 31st, 2001, 06:53:48 PM
People lose all the time Reaper. It's a fact.

You just cant go adding memebrs to the Council because they are close and they miss out and that's what this seems to me to be. If you miss out, you miss out.

If there is a tie for the 8th place.... well tht's a different story. That might need to be looked into if it happens.

ReaperFett
Jul 31st, 2001, 07:10:50 PM
but thats a bit late to be looked into. ANd also, let me remind you that a few councils ago, we got down to just three active members, yet an active board. All because 5 got busy. I think that this idea makes it more proportional, hence meaning you dont end up with few councillers talking about lots of activity.

Besides, this is a democracy, not a dictatorship. Id rather we got a fair spread of views, not just the as standard councillers of Yog, Leia and me, and then 5 others. I want more suggestions, more

Figrin D an
Jul 31st, 2001, 09:36:36 PM
I tend to agree with FMH on this. The number of council members can be adjusted based upon the size of the Order, but it shouldn't vary because one or two people were "just a vote short." The council is supposed to be about leadership, not giving people a title to so that they feel good about themselves. Besides, a person does not have to be on the council to express their opinions about an issue. Everyone in the Order has a voice and is encouraged to use it. The council just makes the final decision on such matters.

More viewpoints is great, and should absolutely be sought out. Increasing the size of the council is not a prerequisite to this, however. If you want more opinions, open debate threads and let people discuss the issues openly. Then let the council take that information and make the final call.

I'm voting NO on this proposal.

ReaperFett
Jul 31st, 2001, 09:41:14 PM
OK, allow me to give a scenario:

Eleven people vote on the council. of their eight votes, seven are identical. Of their final votes, six go to Jedi#1, five to Jedi#2. Now, according to how it is, 2 doesnt make it. Why? To get 5/11 votes is a very respectable positon. But noooo, no allowance. Why?

Everyone in the Order has a voice and is encouraged to use it
In theory, that works. In practice, I get people asking me to say something, as they wont be listened to. So, obviously doesnt, does it?

COunting Figrins vote, the score is 3-1 in favour, with seven others able to vote

Force Master Hunter
Jul 31st, 2001, 09:54:05 PM
Tell me why threy should sit on the Council if they were not voted on in the first place under the 8 Jedi who sit on it. IF there is a shortfall of votes, then it is for a reason - most likely as Jedi think the person in question is not up to scratch yet. So if they 5 out of 11, that means 6 thought others were better to sit on the Council.

Basically, Coucil memebrs get voted in quite without argument, normally in your example 9 / 11 votes. Some like you get 11 / 11. That means 11 voters have full confidence. in you.

I say there is no way we just let Jedi sit on the Council just because they were close enough. That's degrading the value of elections and it defeats the purpose.

ReaperFett
Jul 31st, 2001, 10:01:19 PM
its better than the current system

I mean, lets look at last terms selections. Of the 11 in, I would say that around 6 were either absent 99% of the time, or just ignored council votes. So, the other five or so had to do it all. Now, if someone had got ONE vote off, are not the other members disgracing HER/HIM?

Defeats the purpose? I thought the point was that this place isnt run by one or two. A lovely idea. SHame that I do about 3/4s of all the votes, and most of the council dissapear. So, we end up with a mini council, where we do what the hell we want.

And also, how does this HARM the Jedi, I ask you. 5/11 is a great score. It means that nearly half recognise your talents. There must be something there. Bu letting him in, does that screw the council? No. Does it cause arguments? No. It gives another voice. And considering how are council goes, we need another voice desperately

Force Master Hunter
Jul 31st, 2001, 10:06:58 PM
Then do as we did once before. Place them on reserve, so if a Counciller goes AWOL mid term, they get the seat while they are gone. That worked quite well.

But extending the Council JUST because they got a fair amount of votes? No way.

ReaperFett
Jul 31st, 2001, 10:09:34 PM
define AWOL then. If they arent posting? A written consent form? My opinion?

And what if they go?

Force Master Hunter
Jul 31st, 2001, 10:26:39 PM
It's called communication, something we have been lacking at times around here. If someone knows they arent going to be around, they should say so so some one can take their place.

And if someone leaves, well the next in line gets the seat. It's been done before and it works.

ReaperFett
Jul 31st, 2001, 10:28:22 PM
so, now we have to trust the person who dissapears. What if they didnt know they were dissapearing?

Nichos Marr
Aug 1st, 2001, 11:55:48 AM
Fett, isn't it 4-1? Leia, Yog, you and I voted yes. Figrin voted no.

ReaperFett
Aug 1st, 2001, 12:36:24 PM
Im unsure on Leia. I think it was a yes, but not wholly sure

ReaperFett
Aug 1st, 2001, 01:29:31 PM
she meant yes, 4-1

JediBeldarine
Aug 1st, 2001, 10:15:21 PM
I'll have to go with Figrin and FMH on this one.

There should be a set number of people -- like the US Senate. Lets say 15 people got 33% of the vote.. Do we need 15 people? Not in an order this size. If we were huge, then I'd say yes.

I hate the idea of 8 though. It should be 9... When in a ruling council, there should never be an even number of people. We need a tie breaker vote -- unless FMH would agree to be the tie breaker or the unofficial 9th member of the group.

Do I make any sense? I'm tired... So I might not be talking in an understandable manner right now..

But I still vote no.

Jedi Knight Leia Solo
Aug 1st, 2001, 10:30:44 PM
My main thought was this idea is good IF needed for a TIE.

Now..a NINE jedi council would be preferable. But we have discussed this before and I believe no one really liked the idea. Although I was one of the ones that did.

Force Master Hunter
Aug 1st, 2001, 11:24:48 PM
I think Bel's idea is okay.

ReaperFett
Aug 2nd, 2001, 06:41:20 AM
last time it was eleven. TUJK, Warren and Figrin werent really round then. 8. And that happens every time. Theres no point working on an odd number, as youd akways end up 3 ir 4 people down

Oh, and its now 4-2 in favour

ReaperFett
Aug 9th, 2001, 11:43:20 AM
OK, week is up, time to see the scores

ALL IN FAVOUR
ReaperFett
Master Yoghurt
Nichos Marr
Jedi Knight Leia Solo

ALL AGAINST
Figrin D an
JediBeldarine

RESULT
4-2 in favour

THE VOTE GOES THROUGH

Jedi Knight Leia Solo
Aug 9th, 2001, 12:00:40 PM
Very well.

Nicely done Fett:)

Force Master Hunter
Aug 11th, 2001, 08:49:15 PM
This is BS.

What the hell are Council Elections now, Everyone wins a prize?

This is a complete joke.

Master Yoghurt
Aug 11th, 2001, 09:42:39 PM
Allow me to explain why I voted yes to the proposed election system and why it IMHO makes sense.

When I voted for 8 Councilors, I felt like I had chosen 8 great candidates, yet there were at least 1-2 others who were left out that should be included still.

Previous elections as well as this one show, when there is a large number of qualified candidates, the votes spread out more. When the number is smaller, the votes seem to go more concentrated on the select few. As a result of the proposed election system, the Council number is adjusted accordingly, not based on a fixed number of seats, but on the number of candidates our members believe deserve a voice in the Council at the time of voting.

Furthermore, I have a strong believe in democracy, and that democracy is better upheld when there is a representative group of people with a wide spectrum of opinions and fresh ideas, rather than a select few that stays in control for long periods of time.

My two pots of root stew. :)

ReaperFett
Aug 11th, 2001, 09:46:04 PM
sign me up for two pots! :)