PDA

View Full Version : If you go into a movie theater to see what is wrong about a movie...

JediBoricua
May 13th, 2002, 07:42:36 PM
Why go in the first place!!!

The main reason Spider Man was such a good critically acclaimed movie: Fanboys have been waiting for over 40 years for a movie, there were no expectations, only that it was faithful to the storyline. This is the same reason ANH was such a good movie (although as I recall was not as critically acclaimed as Spidey, but I don't know for when it came out I was -5 years old). It had cool effect and IMO it had the same problems some critics are 'groaning' about SW: some bad dialogue, love scenes did not work, it was mostly a visual movie, not really that deep....OF COURSE IS A VISUAL MOVIE, IS A SUPER HERO! Maybe is the NY setting, but from teh trailers Coruscant looks a lot more impressive than NY.

Oh AOTC doesn't have the epic feel the original have, nor is it that deep. Wait a second, if I am not correct Epics are universal works that appeal to every generation for they have universal teachings. The Illiad is beside a bloody book of war, a book about envy, good, bad, courage, fury and honor. All that is Star WArs.

I ain't bitching about the critics, they can go and get new jobs for all I care. I just don't like ppl going into the theater already byassed and looking for the bad things, instead of the wonderful things! If the movie sucks then say it: IT SUCKS! Don't tell me, it has great visuals, it is fun, but it sucks because it does not live up to the OT, and so I give it half a star.

JonathanLB
May 13th, 2002, 07:51:05 PM
Don't expect intelligence from critics with Star Wars, they never have understood that it is possible to make a six-movie arc with one story. So they are torn between wanting to say that a particular film is not "whole" and somehow doesn't really work, but also really enjoying a lot of aspects. If they let themselves realize that they do NOT have to be entire stories in and of themselves, they would probably enjoy the films a lot more and maybe understand them.

ANH was much more critically acclaimed than Spider-Man...

How many critics called Spider-Man the best movie of the year? Many called ANH that, and thus it got a best picture nomination, a best director nomination, a best screenplay nomination, a best supporting actor nomination, etc...

One of my best friends saw Spider-Man and he liked it, said it was pretty good, but he thinks Star Wars is going to blow it away in quality. He HATED the love story aspects of Spider-Man and said they were just way too corny for him.

Dogsmack
May 14th, 2002, 01:55:17 PM
"One of my best friends saw Spider-Man and he liked it, said it was pretty good, but he thinks Star Wars is going to blow it away in quality. He HATED the love story aspects of Spider-Man and said they were just way too corny for him."

In QUALITY???? No way the acting in Spiderman was far more believable and better that AOTC (judging by the trailers and many reviews). If you thought the love story was corny, wait till you see the stiff wooden exchanges between Hayden and Natalie. It is both corny and embarrassing.

JonathanLB
May 14th, 2002, 01:59:37 PM
Yeah, ok.

Actually many people loved the romance in AOTC and said Hayden and Natalie have excellent chemistry. As with anything, some people loved it, others didn't, same happened with Spider-Man.

If you think Spider-Man is going to be anything close to as good as AOTC, you are kidding yourself. Spider-Man is not half the movie AOTC is.