PDA

View Full Version : Style Sets - New Group Specific Ones

Sage Hazzard
May 13th, 2002, 01:02:41 AM
Could it possibly be done? Such as:

GJO style set
TSO style set

etc, etc. It'd be bland though if it was how that specific group's board looks, but on the rest of the site. I was thinking something different... Heck, I don't know what I'm thinking about. Just thought I would leave this open for people's ideas one the matter, cons or pros or otherwise. I think it'd be neato. :)

ReaperFett
May 13th, 2002, 06:46:24 AM
Isn't that a bit pointless though? GJO is just pictures of random celebrities. WHy not just use Jedi? :)

Morgan Evanar
May 13th, 2002, 06:52:51 AM
I think he meant the style that we use on the GJO board.

ReaperFett
May 13th, 2002, 07:16:09 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Gav Mortis
May 13th, 2002, 10:35:26 AM
It's quite an interesting idea. New banners would have to be designed to make the SWFans.Net banner look TSO/GJO-ish.

Morgan Evanar
May 13th, 2002, 10:45:51 AM
Essurnhumn?

Shawn
May 13th, 2002, 04:39:52 PM
Gav: Erm, not really.

In truth, group specific style sets already exist: That's how we make the group forums look like they do? :) Currently, they're just set so as to be non-User Selectable.

I personally think it's better that way, but if a lot of people want to make the whole board look like the GJO, then so be it. :)

Gav Mortis
May 13th, 2002, 05:03:08 PM
No I was thinkiing of a general SWFans.Net style, like any of the regular SWFans.Net banners but with a TSO design.

ReaperFett
May 13th, 2002, 05:21:42 PM
And how would a TSO design differ from the Sith one?

Gav Mortis
May 13th, 2002, 05:28:25 PM
I didn't say it would - it's not my bloody idea! :p

Shawn
May 13th, 2002, 05:28:40 PM
With a "TSO Design"? You mean, make it look like TSO? Or do you mean make a banner with TSO characters? The latter idea was suggested before, and summarily shot down.

Gav Mortis
May 13th, 2002, 05:32:18 PM
Originally posted by Shawn
With a "TSO Design"? You mean, make it look like TSO? Or do you mean make a banner with TSO characters? The latter idea was suggested before, and summarily shot down.

:cry

I'm gonna have a nervous breakdown in a minute. This isn't my idea! All I was doing was "thinking out loud" trying to clarify, in my mind, with the hope that someone would correct me on the issue, what Sage's idea was about!

Shawn
May 13th, 2002, 05:33:31 PM
No I was thinkiing of a general SWFans.Net style, like any of the regular SWFans.Net banners but with a TSO designI was simply questioning what you meant by this.

ReaperFett
May 13th, 2002, 05:33:58 PM
WHAT DO YOU WANT?

:)

Lilaena De'Ville
May 13th, 2002, 05:34:48 PM
*distracts Shawn with something shiny*

Run Gav run!

Gav Mortis
May 13th, 2002, 06:40:29 PM
(Runs for dear life)

Cornered by mods and admins...little swine! :grumble

Live Wire
May 14th, 2002, 12:45:38 AM
*comes up behind shawn and smacks him*

you made gav cry! You big bad man!!!

*as she's walking away she descretly slips him a 20 and whispers nice job*

Sage Hazzard
May 14th, 2002, 12:52:38 AM
Well, I was thinking style sets for the entire board. With a new banner. It wouldn't need to have characters, but would have "Greater Jedi Order", etc. instead of SWForums.net. And the style of the board would look different. Just an idea. I would be willing to help with graphics, etc.

Although, why not expand on this? Have the colors for each group(that's on each group's board already) selectable for the entire board. And have the defualt style sets selectable over the specific group sets. Meaning, you could use the rebel style while browsing GJO's board.

TheHolo.Net
May 14th, 2002, 12:59:21 AM
What you propose is possible, but it also in a sense would take away from the individuality of each group's forums to some extent to, making it so that whatever style someone is browsing the regular SWFans.Net forums with, carry over into the GJO forums when they visit them.

As it stands right now, I could easily make the standard layout of the GJO forum index selectable for all of SWFans, but that really wouldn't be appropriate. And also as it stands now with all the new boards having moved here, the style/template/replacement variables within the admin control panel are starting to stack up to a very high nuber of them.

Designing another style is not just a simple task of creating graphics and clicking a few buttons like in ezboard. For each style there are approximately 100 replacement variables and 540 templates that need to be accessed and modified to make them work and look right. A great deal of work.

Sage Hazzard
May 14th, 2002, 01:16:43 AM
I seem to of underestimated the work involved. My mistake entirely. I suppose this means my idea won't work?

TheHolo.Net
May 14th, 2002, 01:17:40 AM
It is possible, yes.

If there is a great deal of supprt for it, I would be willing to do the work and accept any help with grahics people offer. :)

Morgan Evanar
May 14th, 2002, 08:39:07 AM
It would be very easy to modify the GJO style set to say SWFans Forums, and change a few of the options.

TheHolo.Net
May 14th, 2002, 08:40:41 AM
Yes, that proposal would be rather simple. A new banner and a few slight modifications would not be difficult.