PDA

View Full Version : Hmm, should I watch the bootleg or wait for the theatre experience....

Starquest aka AndyR
May 10th, 2002, 08:09:46 AM
I saw on TFN that a bootleg of AOTC is available out there on the net.

I did a search and I did manage to find it. Now I have a moral problem - should i watch it or wait?

Its not necessarily spoiling the movie, because it IS the movie. But, then again, its not really a movie experience if I watch it on my pc with crappy sound and crappy quality.

What would you do?

darth_mcbain
May 10th, 2002, 08:20:26 AM
No question about it - I'd wait... Yeah, it is the movie, but it is not the same experience as getting blown away in the theater. That plus there is the whole moral objection thing. That probably isn't that big a deal to us, because whether we watch the bootleg or not, we're probably all going to see AOTC in the theaters at least 3 or 4 times apiece. But I don't think that its right putting it out on the net so anyone can watch it and take away from the theater's draw.

I'm purposely not going to look for it on the net - if I found it, the temptation would be too great, and I want to watch it in the theaters first.

sirdizzy
May 10th, 2002, 08:29:19 AM
its only 6 days dude

Jedieb
May 10th, 2002, 09:06:37 AM
Even if I had a cable modem I wouldn't download it. It's not going to be the same. AFTER I saw the movie I'd be tempted to download it, but certainly not before.

Starquest aka AndyR
May 10th, 2002, 09:29:15 AM
download cancelled...

you guys are right. I guess I can wait another week. :) :crack

JMK
May 10th, 2002, 10:17:39 AM
Dude don't be crazy! Wait just one more week!

Lady Vader
May 10th, 2002, 01:32:02 PM
Not only wait a week, but don't dl at ALL!

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/05/10/ca.s02.starwars.copies.ap/index.html

I've also heard LucasFilm is in an uproar and actually tracking down where the movie has been doownloaded to and prosecuting anyone that has an illegal copy of it. It's creepy man. Soon they'll have the FBI and CIA on some ppl's tails!

My advice is watch it in theaters and then wait till it's released on DVD. At least for the sake of not being caught.

imported_QuiGonJ
May 10th, 2002, 02:10:28 PM
Can't blame em.. they have spent a couple hundred million dollars total on the thing, so I can see them wanting it to be seen properly.

Since I work for a media company, that's why I never installed Napster back in the day.

Charley
May 10th, 2002, 04:26:08 PM
bah, I'd download it and watch it in a heartbeat. But I guess that's just me. Not like I'm not gonna go see it 12 or so times at the theaters anyway, or buy the vhs/dvd. I mean, who am I kidding.

JMK
May 10th, 2002, 09:00:14 PM
I've got to admit, once you find the link, it is pretty tempting to download. So I left the site, closed IE, and cleared my history and temporary internet files. I have no idea what the name of the site is, so I'm free and clear! :D

I have passed my trial!

Jedi Master Carr
May 10th, 2002, 11:25:57 PM
I couldn't download it if I wanted to, so at least I don't have to worry about that temptation.

Darth Viscera
May 11th, 2002, 12:29:38 AM
What, you managed to find it? All 1350 megs of it? Could you PM me the link?

Arya Ravenwing
May 11th, 2002, 01:15:48 AM
Stewie, its past your bedtime! :p

Dang, past mine too. :(

ReaperFett
May 11th, 2002, 05:45:24 AM
I'd wait. This isnt even reading spoilers, it's seeing a bad cut of the film

imported_QuiGonJ
May 12th, 2002, 08:04:10 AM
What happened to the folks who wanted to ban dizzy over links ta the soundtrack? :p

Live Wire
May 12th, 2002, 06:29:50 PM
Im sorry but to watch it before opening night thats just wrong. Its one thing to have a copy during the dry spell when its not in any theatres and before the video/dvd hits stores but to watch a crappy version on your pc????? Dang that sucks! Forget the legal aspects....that completely ruins the first theatre experience.

Starquest aka AndyR
May 13th, 2002, 08:57:01 AM
Yeah, I'm sure I will download it after I see it in the theaters.

After that I am sure I will download it and watch it over and over here at work in my spare moments.... hehe.

imported_QuiGonJ
May 14th, 2002, 03:52:02 PM
http://www.rebelscum.com/article.asp?i=8768

FBI Crack Down
Jeremy: This comes from a colleague of mine who worked in the cinema industry for a number of years:

" I understand the FBI are tracing the frame numbers - all films are made up of a number of reels (6 - 8 apporx), each reel has a number printed one specific frame. It goes past so quick that normal viewers won't see it. If you know what scene to look for and slow the film down you'll catch the ID number, the FBI can then trace the cinema to which that print was sent. - which narrows down who stole the film copied it and then returned it (intact) back to the cinema."
There are a number of ways to get copies made with the help of projectionists - none of which will be mentioned here - and in the past cinema managers have have been caught out by the authorities when returning prints with ID frames missing or respliced back in the film.

Rebelscum's advice: Don't fall foul. Go and see it on the big screen where you can truly appreciate the time, effort and skill put into telling the story.

JMK
May 14th, 2002, 06:43:36 PM
There's no actual link to the bootleg film is there?