PDA

View Full Version : Gays in the Empire...

Telan Desaria
May 7th, 2002, 12:45:07 PM
You would think that this would be a koje thread, but it isn't. I've heard it bantered about in various humourous scenarioes, like when Vis was referring to Admiral Ackbar's discussion of Pride Day in the Empire. My question is one of complete seriousness.

Despite the jokes, what are the position of these people in the Sw universe, and more specifically, the groups that make it up. I know the Empire, being as pure and xenophobic as possible, would probably execute them all. But what about the benevolent races like the NR and GJO.

It is an interesting topic, because we have relationships that exist IC, like when Dara Shadowtide was/is married to Sumor Rayial. A legal marige, but one that was nonetheless 'accepted and typical.' I ask are these poeple allowed, are their characters allowed, and do they exist in a masive agalaxy where war rules and rules govern war...

-Fleet Admiral Telan Desaria

TheHolo.Net
May 7th, 2002, 12:54:31 PM
Isn’t it true that some species in the SW Universe don’t even have two sexes?

Darth Lynch
May 7th, 2002, 12:54:51 PM
There are a variety of species in the known SW universe and no doubt they have various policies and outlook on life. For some I doubt being gay is an issue and is more than likely a perfectly acceptable life style.

Did the Empire ever have many female commanding officers? I know there is one played by Del so but most are male so wouldnt surprise me if anything happened in a locked room or in an zero G part of a base otherwise.

It wouldnt surprise me if a couple was made later on the boards of two guys or women. Its bound to happen sooner or later.

Will it be accepted? *shrugs*

All in all dont see a big boo ha ha about it unless some really hate that kind of thing and most people around here are tolerate and understanding.

If thats what your talking about I got no idea though.

:lol

Telan Desaria
May 7th, 2002, 01:14:29 PM
It is true that most species do not have sexes. So I guess I am specifically talking about humans. I just wantd to broach a forbidden subject and see what everyone had to say.

-Said with devilish glint in eye

Vega Van-Derveld
May 7th, 2002, 01:17:59 PM
It wouldnt surprise me if a couple was made later on the boards of two guys or women. Its bound to happen sooner or later.

Sorsha / Tirsa ? :p

I doubt people would accept a male/male relationship well, though everyone seems all too happy to embrace lesbians for some reason.

The Emperor
May 7th, 2002, 01:21:17 PM
I would sing at a gay wedding.

Mainly because of my love for song.

Morgan Evanar
May 7th, 2002, 01:22:08 PM
Cause some Lesbians are hot.

Honestly, I don't really care, and neither should you. If someone tells you how to roleplay (aside from the rules) or how to live your life, tell em to get bent.

Lady Vader
May 7th, 2002, 01:28:56 PM
It's not my style, but whatever floats your boat...

*Shrugs*

The Emperor
May 7th, 2002, 01:29:03 PM
Actually, I think that in character persecution is fine. I mean, some hardened Admirals would likely be strongly homophobic, and it makes sense to roleplay that way.

But as long as it stays in character... and doesn't end up being a shunning kinda thing. I think all our OOC preferences should be respected, and kept from the Rp as any OOC issue should.

ReaperFett
May 7th, 2002, 01:58:42 PM
Isn’t it true that some species in the SW Universe don’t even have two sexes?

Hutts, to a style

Actually, I think that in character persecution is fine. I mean, some hardened Admirals would likely be strongly homophobic, and it makes sense to roleplay that way.

I disagree. This is Star Wars. It shouldnt be some gritty story about Homophobics and the like. A dislike is fine, but there are lines of decency.

And Sarn Shield was a gay Imperial

The Emperor
May 7th, 2002, 02:05:55 PM
I disagree. This is Star Wars. It shouldnt be some gritty story about Homophobics and the like. A dislike is fine, but there are lines of decency.

If Xenophobia is fine, why not homophobia?

Arya Ravenwing
May 7th, 2002, 02:10:27 PM
Did the Empire ever have many female commanding officers? I know there is one played by Del.

Oh, you think you know so much, do you Lynch? :evil

Darth Viscera
May 7th, 2002, 02:19:17 PM
I agree with Morgan completely. Some lesbians are hot.

Taylor Millard
May 7th, 2002, 02:19:30 PM
*Reminds everyone his second in command is a woman. And not played by Del either. Or Charley...

In fact...the woman who plays my second-in-command has posted two posts before I did.

So :mneh

Darth Viscera
May 7th, 2002, 02:20:54 PM
She's not your second in command! I've given you two entirely different commands!

The Emperor
May 7th, 2002, 02:28:07 PM
Are you calling me a woman?!

Oh, wait. You meant LD.

Arya Ravenwing
May 7th, 2002, 02:29:10 PM
Who are you calling LD?!

And Viscera, I'm so confused about what I am in command of. :) I have a ship! And I'm at Bakura now. There. Also, I am not Del. Silly Jedah. ;)

Edit: Remembered Isard, yes that one IS Del. :)

ReaperFett
May 7th, 2002, 02:46:33 PM
If Xenophobia is fine, why not homophobia?
Like I said, it's okay within reason.

AmazonBabe
May 7th, 2002, 02:59:43 PM
Concur with Fett, I do.

Shawn
May 7th, 2002, 04:45:24 PM
Or, we could get *really* confusing. Remember that Episode of Fasrscape?

"I'm the female of my species!" O_o

Helenias Evenstar
May 7th, 2002, 05:37:12 PM
Please tell me who will be doing this type of story

So I can set them to ignore. Homophoblic storylines should be disallowed as being inappropriate. I personally wish Viscera would grow up and shut up with his references to lesbians. This is going too far in my opinion

It shouldnt be some gritty story about Homophobics and the like. A dislike is fine, but there are lines of decency

Precisely. There are people who are deeply offended by alternate sexuality and we are not homophobic.

The Emperor
May 7th, 2002, 05:45:09 PM
Homophoblic storylines should be disallowed as being inappropriate

Fact: Xenophobic stories happen
Fact: Sexist stories happen
Fact: Genocidal stories happen

There are people who are deeply offended by alternate sexuality and we are not homophobic.

Anyone here offended by racism and genocide, raise your hand.

The Emperor
May 7th, 2002, 05:51:58 PM
Also note I won't be playing any homophobic characters... just wondering why others shouldn't be able to since we have racists and sexists running rampent.

I play two bisexual characters at TGC. I have a lesbian in my Sith group. I am not homosexual, or homophobic, but in ropleplaying? Why not?

I mean, we can have murderers, vampires, facists... why not gays?

Helenias Evenstar
May 7th, 2002, 05:56:32 PM
* I raise my hand *

Your point was? I come here to escape such evils and certainly do not participate in them in a storyline. I can understand how racism in the Imperials can be well played out so it can be acceptible. Genocide as it is written here..... I have no comment on.

So FACT : This is escapism. Keep it that way. This is not some deep and meaningful examination of the trials and tribulations of the gay community. There are other more appropriate places to do that, so why here?

And I do not accept Vampires here. Even if I am in the minority, Undead Vampires have no place in Star Wars

Darth Viscera
May 7th, 2002, 05:57:32 PM
Yeah well, I don't think it's me who needs to grow up. It wouldn't hurt you to speak about me in a civil manner every now and then.

And where those people get off being offended by what a person does in their private lives is beyond me.

Luke 6:37
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."

Charley
May 7th, 2002, 05:59:55 PM
Weren't most of the officers of the Empire British anyways?

So I mean...its bound to happen ;)

At least you likely won't have any incidents like Tailhook...dem clones are sterile :)

The Emperor
May 7th, 2002, 06:01:27 PM
I can understand how racism in the Imperials can be well played out so it can be acceptible

And you can't see how if they would be anti-Alien and anti-Women they could also be anti-gay?

If you want to escape it, fine. I'm just saying it makes sense is all. And if you don't want to read it, take your own advice and hit ignore.

And listen to Viscera. He is wise.

Helenias Evenstar
May 7th, 2002, 06:15:27 PM
I really dont care what people do behind closed doors. I do get offended when it is placed in front of me in ways that I can not avoid!

Think about that before you claim I'm being judgemental. You had better think that by putting these references in public, you come up to people who have a moral or ethical objections to such behaviour.

So, if I would make myself clearer - What you do privately, who cares. Once you start placing such unwanted behavour mannerisms in public, then I will speak and say I have no wish to see such out here.

And Viscera -- you should realise your behaviour and attitude to women, even as a joke is deeply offensive to some women like myself, I advise you to rethink what you say.

ReaperFett
May 7th, 2002, 06:17:09 PM
Imperials were brought up to believe their views on aliens. They were not over sexuality. This is why some, such as Moff Sarn SHield, were gay. Noone ever joked about it. Noone was insulting to him.

ReaperFett
May 7th, 2002, 06:17:58 PM
Weren't most of the officers of the Empire British anyways?

So I mean...its bound to happen
Just remember where your from

Charley
May 7th, 2002, 06:19:14 PM
Its fictional work. Don't like it? Don't click it. Nothing in the FAQ says not to write about controversial subjects, and I don't see that rule popping up any time soon, because some people are in their niche when writing about such things.

Fett: Hey...you guys get prissy Admirals, and we get scruffy, alcoholic moisture farmers. Fair's fair :)

ReaperFett
May 7th, 2002, 06:20:44 PM
Its Star Wars. Someone important dont like it? They close us

The Emperor
May 7th, 2002, 06:23:26 PM
So, if I would make myself clearer - What you do privately, who cares. Once you start placing such unwanted behavour mannerisms in public, then I will speak and say I have no wish to see such out here.

Okay. So you thus have no problem with racism and genocide being aired in public.

I agree with Fett. You're right there, and I agree that's true.

I also agree with LL. If you don't want to read it, we aren't holding you at threadpoint demanding you do.

Helenias Evenstar
May 7th, 2002, 06:26:04 PM
THIS IS STAR WARS ROLEPLAYING! NOT TIME MAGAZINE! NOT GAY PRIDE!

We're here to play out Star Wars and have fun, not examine the issues of the day in a deep and meaningful way! What part of the word escapism is not understood here?

And more to the point, is this not a PG-13 forum?

Well? When is homosexual themes rated as PG-13?

And as for your comment about Genocide or even wholesale slaughter - I did not comment becuase I am well aware it is written about here - and I have no comment as I have no wish to really provoke an even bigger flame war. But that should make it clear what I think on that subject

The Emperor
May 7th, 2002, 06:32:11 PM
What racist and genocidal themes are rated PG-13?

Oh, wait. There are plenty.

Some are more... mature than others. But as a backstory and less the main focus, theres no cause for alarm.

The same way with sexuality, straight or gay. There are plenty of lesbian and gay movies that are rated pg-13. We're not talking Where the boys aren't, we're talking maybe a gay admiral or whatnot. Not a planet full of gays making whoopee.

THIS IS STAR WARS ROLEPLAYING! NOT TIME MAGAZINE! NOT GAY PRIDE!

That comment was completely pointless and stinks of homophobia.

Charley
May 7th, 2002, 06:32:18 PM
Wasn't Three to Tango a PG-13 Movie.

And hey, our RP is still Star Wars, but the thing that's been repeated to you a million times, and will likely be repeated to you a million more, is that there is room to expand on the original premise.

I know you're not so omnipresent as to read every thread here. Hell, neither am I. There's neither the time (and in some cases) neither the interest. Some I read because I know a RPer who is doing it has some quality stuff. A lot I don't read because they're either uninteresting to me, have a vague title, or are done by people whom I'd rather not RP with at the current time.

Its not a sin to say that. You can't RP with everybody, so why pretend that you are/will. If it galls you that much, just ignore, like you do with vamps, and whatever is outside your personal vision. You'll find its much more productive than screaming at people to try and shift their paradigms around your own perspective.

ReaperFett
May 7th, 2002, 06:36:54 PM
See it the other way. This place is PG-13 or whatever. That has to be maintained. This particular subject could basically be a constant problem. Not that anyone overly cares though

The Emperor
May 7th, 2002, 06:41:30 PM
Racism and war and religious based conflicts could all get out of hand too. If they do, the threads closed and participants warned. Why single out sexuality?

ReaperFett
May 7th, 2002, 06:44:07 PM
Anti-alien bias is different to Racism, IMO.

The Emperor
May 7th, 2002, 06:47:38 PM
How many blacks did you see in the Empire?

Charley
May 7th, 2002, 06:48:54 PM
Well...those damn TIE pilots to name a few ;)

The Emperor
May 7th, 2002, 06:51:21 PM
The majority...

Gah, actually, the majority of the empire wears armor that conceals their full body. So I guess this is a stupid arguement.

ReaperFett
May 7th, 2002, 06:51:51 PM
How many blacks are born on Coruscant every year?

Or Corellia?
Or Selonia?
Or Chandrila?
Or Naboo?

Impossible to answer, isnt it? THats because theres no figures.

Also, in the books, its generally Xenophobia. That isnt race, thats people from other places. That summaries the anti-alien Bias more for me

Charley
May 7th, 2002, 06:55:04 PM
And who would have thought that all the Stormtroopers are actually a bunch of Kiwis? Astounding!

Shawn
May 7th, 2002, 06:57:35 PM
"Xenophobia" literally means "a fear of anything alien or different". So it applies to race, as well.

The Emperor
May 7th, 2002, 06:59:32 PM
Shaun is wise.

ReaperFett
May 7th, 2002, 07:01:02 PM
I dont remember Lando EVER being descriminated against in any form I've read him. Or Shalla, or Falyn, or Panaka........ 0/4 there

Shawn
May 7th, 2002, 07:02:43 PM
I have to agree with Fett there: There's no precident for the descrimination of dark skinned humanoids.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 7th, 2002, 07:05:55 PM
o_O to this thread.

Personally...no...well...

Viscera, that verse is absolutely right. Judge not lest you be judged. There are lines of common decency, however, that should not be crossed, IMO. I mean, we're not going to RP an incredibly explicit hetero sex scene..although we've come a little bit closer than some might like.

And I thought the purpose of RPing was to roleplay a character. If you want your character to be homophobic..well, okaaay. But don't go out of your way to be offensive. Like Fett said, this is Star Wars, and if someone *up there* doesn't like it, they'll close us down.

Although, I have to admit the thought of George reading this is a little far fetched. ...But cool, too! :D

Helenias Evenstar
May 7th, 2002, 07:10:56 PM
That comment was completely pointless and stinks of homophobia.

Oh really?

Well maybe it's a point that your missing. Care to read again and understand what the intent was?

And hey, our RP is still Star Wars, but the thing that's been repeated to you a million times, and will likely be repeated to you a million more, is that there is room to expand on the original premise.

Yes there is. Not in this direction however.

I know you're not so omnipresent as to read every thread here. Hell, neither am I. There's neither the time (and in some cases) neither the interest. Some I read because I know a RPer who is doing it has some quality stuff. A lot I don't read because they're either uninteresting to me, have a vague title, or are done by people whom I'd rather not RP with at the current time.

On the times I am here I read as much as I can and generally, I enjoy reading it all. I have no wish to not read anything as I rarely am here. So, I try to read all I can. Even in threads you think are below your standards, there is work that would put many of us to shame, if you care to look for it.

Its not a sin to say that. You can't RP with everybody, so why pretend that you are/will. If it galls you that much, just ignore, like you do with vamps, and whatever is outside your personal vision. You'll find its much more productive than screaming at people to try and shift their paradigms around your own perspective.

I believe I understand the point some players were trying to make some time ago about an AT setup. I also believe that your drawing my views about who I will roleplay with or why drawing this discussion out too far and wdiening it out out the focus.

I believe I read once that George Lucas himself did not wish his creation to be removed from it's PG-13 reference frame. I have no wish to participate in a forum outside of a PG-13 frame. And I dont believe that the children that come by here should be exposed to something outside of a PG-13 frame! If I was a mother I certainly would not want my children anywhere near a place where such adult concept are discussed, especially until they understand the issues properly.

Lady Vader
May 7th, 2002, 07:13:26 PM
Helenias, I have to say, I don't like this whole idea on gay stuff. And I do understand what your saying. But, ya know, I'm not the only one here. And I'm going to have to accept the fact that some will RP a story like that eventually (albiet, I hope it's tasteful and decent).

But I won't be participating in it. No one's forcing anyone to.

And frankly, no one's forcing you to read their thread or post here. You are free to come and go as you please.

Charley
May 7th, 2002, 07:16:58 PM
Well, those standards are adhered to in a loose manner. We're not the MPAA, and we aren't going to run a meter stick by each post to determine its "PG-13"-ness.

If you're worried about graphic homosexual sex in a thread...then you needn't fret. But if you're upset because there might be a little guy-guy or girl-girl romantic activity, and maybe the vague insinuation of more going on...then we're probably not going to do anything about that. I've taken many a thread to "the edge" before, but I do know that such an edge exists. If I ever do cross that point (which I don't like to do anyways), it is done in the privacy of a personally-owned locked forum. I know I've done so maybe...three times. And thats a high estimation.

ReaperFett
May 7th, 2002, 07:17:30 PM
You are free to come and go as you please
Last I checked, we were using a Copyrighted universe. Hence, no we dont have this freedom. We have a duty to keep it fine, else they can close it. And dont shrug that off, a lot of sites have been shut for a lot less.

Shawn
May 7th, 2002, 07:18:53 PM
Hmm... I do have to sort of agree that the board should never really leave the realm of PG-13. But as long as it's tasteful, I don't have a problem.

Lady Vader
May 7th, 2002, 07:24:52 PM
Um, Fett, I was refering to coming to the forum and leaving the forum...

I haven't the faintest idea what you're refering to... O_o

Charley
May 7th, 2002, 07:25:58 PM
He's referring to the Walrus, of course!

Goo goo Gajoob!

Lady Vader
May 7th, 2002, 07:27:30 PM
Whaaaaaaaaaaa?????????

O_oO_oO_o

Charley
May 7th, 2002, 07:29:46 PM
Woman, you are uncultured.

I hope you bring a cd player when we stand in line on the 15th. I have to play real music for you.

Lady Vader
May 7th, 2002, 07:33:35 PM
Not uncultured. :grumble

I just happen to be cultured in a different fashion. :p

Charley
May 7th, 2002, 07:35:30 PM
Yes. The wrong one. :p

Lady Vader
May 7th, 2002, 07:37:18 PM
*:headbash LL*

Says you.

Charley
May 7th, 2002, 07:38:31 PM
And I am infallible. My word is Law. :love

Lady Vader
May 7th, 2002, 07:43:48 PM
:grumble

:verymad I will not be wussified!!!!!!!! :verymad

:mad

:|

:\

|I

:grumble

Charley
May 7th, 2002, 07:50:04 PM
After what I have in store for you...

:angel

oh yes you will.

Lady Vader
May 7th, 2002, 07:54:12 PM
:uhoh

o_O

http://www.thegjo.com/forum/smileys/hideing_behind_computer.gif

Sumor Rayial
May 7th, 2002, 07:55:58 PM
First of all,

quote:

Yes there is. Not in this direction however.

Who are you to dictate this? You are one person, now if at least 51% of this forum decided that it wasn't the way they wanted to go then fine, but last time I heard one person did not dictate policy around here.

Now as for the rest.

Since when has homosexuality been adult content? Ones sexual preference is not adult content unless they become explicit during an RP. I don't know about the rest of the people here but I was exposed to homosexuality at a very early age, one of my Aunts is a lesbian. Whoopdie doo she's no different from anyone else except she enjoys the company of women over men. One of my best friends is gay. Again so what? I've never seen him come on to just any guy just for kicks. He respects mine and all our other friends sexual preferences and in return we respects his.

So someone wants to have their character lead an alternative lifestyle? So what. Explicit sexual content has never been allowed here anyway. To me that's the only thing that is "Adult Content". Sorsha and Tirsa have been playing lesbians for at least a year, probably more but I'm not 100% on sure on how long so I'm not going to take a guess. That being, how is it that suddenly it's an issue?

IMHO homosexuality is not adult content, and if it's the way someone wants to play their character they should be allowed to fully within the same standards that hetero characters are held, because if we don't then we will no longer be the open and accepting community that we try and portray to new members.

Marcus Telcontar
May 7th, 2002, 08:28:32 PM
0_0

Only thing I have to say is

"All things are permissible - but not all things are desireable"

I think the best approach is to realise that some people (And I'll say I have had a gay friend - who died of AIDS which I can say was a bloody horrible thing to see) dont give a rip. BUT, others have objections to this sort of thing and very good reasons too.

while I can appreciate some would say "Hey dont read it" I think that those should understand that there is a valid concern and respect that. Homosexaulity, despite the freedom to be that in most of the Western World, is still looked upon as a offence to God / Allah / Nature / Mums turkeys and is abhorrent. Actually, that is the majority view if you add up all the Islamics, Maoists, Christians who think like that. Even in Western Society, a great percentage of the population think that way as well

I would personally think that this issue is one of thiose things that is permissible, but is not desireable and should be avoided.

Actually, the thought of putting such an issue into a Star wars concept gives me the creeps. I'd personally not appreciate it here at all and to me it is a step in the wrong direction.

Only my opinion tho. I could be wrong :p

Lilaena De'Ville
May 7th, 2002, 08:51:25 PM
The original topic of this thread was, and should still be, to discuss whether the Empire would/was homophobic.

Fett answered that quite a few posts ago. No they were not. One of the admirals was gay, and no one talked down to him. I don't remember the exact quote he said and don't want to look it up.

All these other conjectures...no one ever said "I want to play a homosexual character! And then I want to RP him being oppressed because of his sexuality!"

This argument/discussion is slightly superfluous from the original first post. IMO.

As to "adult themes" I have dealt with nitty gritty topics before. The sexual abuse of children, domestic violence... Such topics CAN and SHOULD be written about. Of course there is a time and a place for anything, and we SHOULD not take anything into an R rating, or NC-17 as the case may be.

We have lesbian characters, Sorsha and Tirsa are the two *I* know about, but they don't go overboard in their RPing. At least, not that I've seen. If its done lewdly or with the intention to shock the conservatives, I disagree with it being RPed.

But then, I don't have to read it.

I also know that the Cizerack characters can tend to stray REALLY close to the hetero line in our RPs. Again, I try not to go over the line! I get reaaally reaaaally close though sometimes.

and now I'm online at work and probably going to get in trouble! See what you've done to me now!?

Charley
May 7th, 2002, 08:53:01 PM
Well, the bible's also against killing, coveting thy neighbor's wife, cloning, eating live frogs, and all sorts of other things.

We omitted the King James Version of the FAQ however.

The Emperor
May 7th, 2002, 08:53:38 PM
I'm sorry. :cry

Threepio
May 7th, 2002, 10:14:38 PM
Master Palpatine, please don't cry, you'll rust my joints.

Palpatine
May 7th, 2002, 10:17:15 PM
I believe that he is not the Emperor, but a instead a very naughty buy

Edit : OMG!! I didn't mean that typo, honest!

Threepio
May 7th, 2002, 10:20:52 PM
Oh my!

The Emperor
May 7th, 2002, 10:24:12 PM
Typo? I don't see a typo.

Daanarri Raurrssaatta
May 7th, 2002, 10:55:24 PM
I think the Cizerack position on homosexuality is probably self evident, so I won't go into it ;)

Threepio
May 8th, 2002, 12:30:15 AM
<a href=http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Forum/7180/FamilyGuy/men.wav>Viscera, on bribing practices in the Empire</a>

ReaperFett
May 8th, 2002, 01:48:48 AM
LD is right. The point wasn't about RPing homosexuals.

Saharia
May 8th, 2002, 02:09:57 AM
it was about if it's acceptable, if I read through correctly.

I think it is if it's not done too much, much like there shouldnt be too making out with guys and girls that involve more than kissing and hugging. As long as its a side story and Star Wars is the main objective. And nothing that does make people who are against gay relationships become angry because we could end with an all out arguement.

I have a strong opinion on this but that I wont get into that. Everyones different and one opinion is not necessarily right or wrong in others eyes.

But hey.....anyone for a cup of latte'. you know the one that makes everyone get along.

Miryan no Trunks
May 8th, 2002, 02:27:38 AM
Explicit descriptions of murders and bloody one-on-one fighting. Entire groups of people hating each other for their beliefs, to the point of wanting to kill each other. Constant mentioning to the humor in the deaths and eating of other intelligent species (Gungan, though I know the intelligence thing is questionable)

And THIS is a problem?

As for Homosexuality being PG-13, tell that to the kindergartners who learn about same-sex relationships, so they won't be discriminatory about them as they grow up.

It's like saying that a kid can't have two moms or two dads until he's 13 years old.

I dunno, I supposse I'm one of the few people who wouldn't be bothered by homosexual and homophobic and characters in the RP, because I don't mix IC and OOC. Yeah, my character might have a problem with it, if that's part of his personality, but it doesn't mean it reflects my Own views...

Telan Desaria
May 8th, 2002, 06:10:11 AM
No actually you've all done your best to answer the question that I have been hping to ask later on anyway. Will it be acceptable to actually have a gay character.

Allow me to expand. IRL I am Second Lieutenant in the Pennsylvania National Guard. Every time I put on a uniform, I escape the confines of reality and hate, because I am donning a mask of security-people respect me as a defender of freedom and a protector of liberty. This facade-and fantasy-was squashed when I came under investigation by the CID-criminal Investigative division-for immoral conduct. If you have not guessed, I am, in real life, a homosexual, though I prefer gay, since the former sounds soooo mental.

I have not been dishonorabley discharged yet, but it is only a matter of weeks before I make the lonely walk off base under the horrific gazes o my countrymen-and comrades.

I wanted to make Admiral Desaria gay, and have him start a relationship with a crewmen aboard the Decisive during his mission to control Centaur. Though, as I might lose the decisive, some other ship. It would be merely a footnote to the major story of gaining a planet and forming a group, but I wanted to make it known because I thought that here, especially as an Admiral, I would meet no hate. No one would drag me into n abandon shuttle bay and pulverize me until I was bleeding to near death and leave me to lie-reference to experience when I was 13 in Harrisburg.

This would not affect his tactical ability, his abilioty to command, or his loyalty or duty in any way shape or form.

Would the community accept this?

Fleet Admiral Telan Desaria

ReaperFett
May 8th, 2002, 06:46:22 AM
LD is right. The point wasn't about RPing homosexuals.

READ :)

Vega Van-Derveld
May 8th, 2002, 10:35:42 AM
I'm not even going to start trying to write a serious reply on this, half of the stuff in this thread ticks me off so much I can't even express it in words :)

Alana Stormcloud
May 8th, 2002, 11:53:33 AM
IMHO As long as the threads remain tasteful then what right do any of us have in telling anyone how to run there char. It's up to them how they RP. As for not accepting Vamps on the boards Helanias no one asked you to accept us but here we are and here we stay. I don't see why you think its so far fetched that vamps are in the SW universe when they have all kinds of creatures including demons sooooo since vampys are umm long lived and this is all just a game and not real why cant there be what ever a rper chooses :)

Charley
May 8th, 2002, 12:08:35 PM
I played Eluna out to be a bisexual...even though she technically has no gender, and is simply a mimic human replica droid.

But her personality programming doesn't know that :p

ReaperFett
May 8th, 2002, 12:08:35 PM
As long as the threads remain tasteful then what right do any of us have in telling anyone how to run there char
Look under SHawn or SWFans' name ;)

As for not accepting Vamps on the boards
Vampires are in SW, as are Wolf people and the Undead

but here we are and here we stay
So confident seem you :)

Alana Stormcloud
May 8th, 2002, 12:13:18 PM
lol always confidant Fett :) Holds pan behind her back hehehehe

Threepio
May 8th, 2002, 12:29:12 PM
Originally posted by Shawn
Hmm... I do have to sort of agree that the board should never really leave the realm of PG-13. But as long as it's tasteful, I don't have a problem.

And there you have it folks.

TheHolo.Net
May 8th, 2002, 12:36:40 PM
Originally posted by Shawn
Hmm... I do have to sort of agree that the board should never really leave the realm of PG-13. But as long as it's tasteful, I don't have a problem. And there are legal ramifications to that as well. We don't want to have to make this an over 18 site with age verification due to content. We want this to be a place for all to come, read, participate, or whatever, and enjoy. This over 18 thing I just mentioned is also one of the reasons we have to use the censor, which really isn't something I care to do, as I abhor about all forms of censorship, but the point remains, we want the Role Playing Community to be as open and available as possible for everyone. :)