PDA

View Full Version : Enigma

CMJ
May 6th, 2002, 06:52:00 PM
Too bad this film is only playing in Los Angeles....because this is simply the best film of the year that I've seen.

The film is about cryptoanalysts at Bletchley Park, Britian's top code-breaking center during WWII. They are trying to crack the Enigma code again, because Nazi's have unexpectedly changed the code by which they communicate with each other and German High Command. An Allied merchant shipping convoy is about to be attacked.

This is only part of the story. The protagainist, a mathematician codebreaker, is also trying to solve the mystery of the disappearance of his ex girlfriend/lover. The two mysteries seem to be interwoven in a complex maze that would make Hitchcock proud. To help solve this scenario the protaganist(I honestly don't remember his name) gets the help of his former lovers roommate.

This film is REALLY GOOD! I hope it expands, because it's really a dense thriller. As I said...it would make Hitch proud, which is about the biggest compliment I could bestow upon it.

JMK
May 6th, 2002, 06:57:42 PM
Is it surprising in the way Memento kinda crept up and stunned everyone??

CMJ
May 6th, 2002, 07:00:28 PM
Well...I'm not sure it's THAT good(I mean "Memento" was brilliant)...but yes. It's a film that no one has heard of that really just blew me away. I have a feeling most of yall would enjoy it as well.

Jedi Master Carr
May 6th, 2002, 10:43:50 PM
Its based on a book by Robert Harris most famous for writing the book Fatherland (an alternative history novel about what if the Nazis had won the war). The movie sounds cool just curious CMJ did the movie end differently than it did really. I mean did the Nazis win, because I think in the book they might have won (I was thinking it was another alternative history book that seems to be this writer speciality)

CMJ
May 7th, 2002, 06:56:30 AM
Nah...the Nazi's didn't win. It seemed to be "relatively" close to how the whole decoding department worked, I thought. It was definitely a great blend of fact and fiction.

Jedi Master Carr
May 7th, 2002, 10:50:25 AM
They may have changed the ending from the book or else Harris didn't do an alternative tale this time I am not sure I have never read the book just read excerpts.

CMJ
May 7th, 2002, 12:35:55 PM
You know...I didn't realize that the same man authored FATHERLAND. That was a terrific book....and "Enigma" though completely different(and a film to boot) does seem to have a similar narrative flow. It doesn't shock me he wrote both.

Jedi Master Carr
May 7th, 2002, 04:27:28 PM
Harris is a great writer and he has written several historical type novels there is one about Russia, I can't remember the title though. Fatherland is a brilliant novel, the HBO movie they made was okay but not as good as the book.

ReaperFett
May 7th, 2002, 06:27:47 PM
You realise you just spoilt the flm for me by not using spoiler tags, yeah? :)

CMJ
May 7th, 2002, 06:29:52 PM
Man Reaper...I didn't tell you ANYTHING. :)

Jedi Master Carr
May 7th, 2002, 08:57:33 PM
I guess he means that Nazis lost the war must have been that big spoiler right :)