PDA

View Full Version : Attention everyone - about GJO board move

Master Yoghurt
May 6th, 2002, 01:56:36 PM
Dear roleplayers and posters at swforums.net :)

For some time, me Nup and Ogre have discussed and tested the possibility of setting up GJO at swforums.net. In order to to cause a minimum amount of buzz/confusion, these forums were for some time private/invisible, but are now open for public review.

The board can be viewed here:
http://www.swforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=55

The board move has been up for discussion at GJO for a while, and due to positive response, thread is now available for public view:
http://pub56.ezboard.com/fgjofrm10.showMessage?topicID=499.topic

Please check the GJO vBulletin FAQ as you enter the forums, as they will probably answer some of your initial questions. The FAQ can be viewed here:
http://www.swforums.net/forum/announcement.php?s=&forumid=66

If there are any aditional questions, me and SWFans will be happy to answer to our best ability. :)

PS. Forums in the process of being opened as we speak..

Sejah Haversh
May 6th, 2002, 02:09:59 PM
So, um, should we start posting on the new versions and leave the old ones behind, or how's this going to work?

Hyphenated
May 6th, 2002, 02:12:45 PM
*dances in the forums*

:lol I was wondering where all the forums were, and then I looked again and there were more there..so I guess you really ARE putting them in as we speak.

Or..type. erm... :)

Master Yoghurt
May 6th, 2002, 02:13:59 PM
Still use the old board, as it will take some time before thread moving can start. Feel free to look around, post and test the feel of the forum though. :)

Master Yoghurt
May 6th, 2002, 02:16:22 PM
Others groups boards are being opened as well, as you might notice. :)

Hyphenated
May 6th, 2002, 02:18:05 PM
I did. *goes to look AGAIN just be to sure she really did see*

Hyphenated
May 6th, 2002, 02:25:46 PM
Is Candelabera spelled right?? O_o

*checks*

Nope!

My first request is that "Candelabera of Malice" be correctly spelled as "Candlelabra of Malice."

That will be all.

For now.

:D:D:D This is very exciting. :)

TheHolo.Net
May 6th, 2002, 02:29:59 PM
Spelling fixed. :)

Hyphenated
May 6th, 2002, 02:30:52 PM
Yay! *huggles the forum* Danke! :):)

TheHolo.Net
May 6th, 2002, 02:32:44 PM
TBH was a rush job I just finished a little bit ago.

:: quietly tells Hyphen to log in as LD for a sec and look in her PM box, as well as at TBH ::

Hyphenated
May 6th, 2002, 02:34:28 PM
*has a premonition in the Force to change into LD*

I'll be...uh...right back. *runs off to look for a phone booth*

Lady Vader
May 6th, 2002, 03:27:25 PM
*Watches Hyphenated run past her, throw someone out of a phone booth...*

Hey, was that Clark Kent you just threw out?...

*...step into booth and emerge as LD.*

Um... did you know that while you were changing... well... you didn't spin like Kent does, and well... the phone booth has windows.

*Shakes head.*

:lol:lol:lol

And the moral of today's story is:

"People who live in glass houses should change in the dark."

Alpha
May 6th, 2002, 03:36:24 PM
Well, it depends on how hot the person living in the glass house. :D :lol

Lilaena De'Ville
May 6th, 2002, 04:36:10 PM
*stumbles out of the phone booth* VOILA!

*FLASHFLASHFLASH!*

AUGH MY EYES! Stop with the cameras!

:angel

Anyway. I seem to have misplaced the Forum entitled "Hall of Sorrows." But I'm going to go look for it again. :D

Darth Lynch
May 6th, 2002, 07:23:03 PM
My what a surprise.

Not really.

This was easily guessed awhile back.

Too many bread crumbs.

Anyways since the other groups are up I'll ask a link to be put up with the groups to TSE since it is only fair and would have equal representation.

TheHolo.Net
May 6th, 2002, 07:24:15 PM
The forum index is not an advertising service. TSE has a link on the portal page, as well as in some of the link drop downs in the group forums, and...

Representatives from each of the RP Group forums that are now hosted or testing being hosted here have offered to share bandwidth/hosting costs with the site owner by donating funds. Any other group forums that wish to be hosted here can be by making similar arrangements.

Contact Shawn to make arrangements.

Darth Lynch
May 6th, 2002, 07:49:42 PM
Unless linking is not possible and for Vbulletin to not be able to do that would be highly surprising I dont see what problem it would be to not link TSE.

Other than some wanting to keep it from being listed that is.

And I dont exactly exclude that possibility either.

But I'm sure some knew I would say that. Same as most would know TSE would not be moving unless circumstancs changed.

I got to admit though this is mostly good.

Gives the Jedi a chance to hopefully get more people and at last get them going again maybe. One can hope.

Maybe even give TSO a boost, they always should have rvaled TSE in status and size. This might be a chance to get that and that would be a blast.

Rivalary does breed activity after all.

So its not all bad at all:)

TheHolo.Net
May 6th, 2002, 07:53:24 PM
You have just been offered the same deal as the other group forums and you claim there is some kind of conspiracy in "some not wanting it to be listed here"? Whatever you say man, whatever you say. :rolleyes

Darth Lynch
May 6th, 2002, 07:59:50 PM
Conspiracy?

Nah.

So dont fly over the cuckoo nest comrade.

I just cant see why a link cant be there.

Unless its not technical possible which is surprising for vbulletin since it has everything but the kitchen sink.

If it isnt than really I got no issue or problem with it all.:)

TheHolo.Net
May 6th, 2002, 08:01:03 PM
Oh its possible, but you don't get the perks, unless you do what the other groups have done. :)

Darth Lynch
May 6th, 2002, 08:12:43 PM
See.

Thats just rude.

Your not getting a christmas card.

And no christmas bonus either

:D

Anyhoo thank ya for the info.

Bet some thought I would say something really mean.

>D

At least got the post count up for this thread.

Got to give the viewing public something interesting to read after all.

:lol

imported_Dara Shadowtide
May 6th, 2002, 08:38:50 PM
The link on the Portal page is not the same as a link or listing on the main message board here. I would wager that some posters never even visit the Portal page. I would like to see something set in place so that those groups who choose to stay on their home board could also have the opportunity to make a payment just for a link listed under roleplaying groups that would lead to their home board. Otherwise it looks to be that the only roleplaying groups are those listed at the bottom of the main board here.

TheHolo.Net
May 6th, 2002, 08:41:05 PM
The other groups who are not listed here are mentioned in the FAQ with a link to the repository where links to all their boards can be found.

I am unable to make accommodations similar to those you propose, that will have to be arranged with Shawn as I said before.

Link forums = uneeded clutter IMO

imported_Dara Shadowtide
May 6th, 2002, 08:45:11 PM
Forum links provide equity in representation IMO. If some groups are going to be hosted here and represented with a forum, then I believe all roleplay groups should be allowed the opportunity to have a forum link with a small description in a similar manner. I don't think information is clutter.

TheHolo.Net
May 6th, 2002, 08:46:06 PM
Equality is represnted in the offer that was previously made in my earlier post.
Originally posted by SWFans.Net
The forum index is not an advertising service. TSE has a link on the portal page, as well as in some of the link drop downs in the group forums, and...

Representatives from each of the RP Group forums that are now hosted or testing being hosted here have offered to share bandwidth/hosting costs with the site owner by donating funds. Any other group forums that wish to be hosted here can be by making similar arrangements.

Contact Shawn to make arrangements.

imported_Dara Shadowtide
May 6th, 2002, 08:51:47 PM
A group should not be forced to have a forum here in order to receive a link on the main board which would equally represent them. A pricing system could be established for a link to any group's board which would only serve to assist in the funding of the board. That wouldn't take up much bandwidth, would it?

TheHolo.Net
May 6th, 2002, 08:52:55 PM
I am unable to make accommodations similar to those you propose, that will have to be arranged with Shawn as I said before.

TheHolo.Net
May 6th, 2002, 08:58:06 PM
Furthermore it has always been the policy of this board not to be a link repository due to a plethora of reasons. Even when it resided on ezboard, there were no RP groups listed in the ezboard ring. That policy has not changed.

If you wish to make arrangements such as the other groups have done, you are free to do so.

Jedi Neo
May 6th, 2002, 11:58:37 PM
Do I have to break out the Moltar account and do another dumb show?

Marcus Telcontar
May 7th, 2002, 12:01:45 AM
Question -

Who does the hosting offer apply to? Just large groups, or smaller ones / personal who want to pony up the dollars?

Master Yoghurt
May 7th, 2002, 12:11:31 AM
The hosting offer applies to any group willing to contribute to covering the bandwidth cost. The amount may vary, so it would be good idea talking with Shawn/Nup about the details for those interested.

Darth Lynch
May 7th, 2002, 12:22:31 AM
The forum index is not an advertising service.

Not an advertising service?

Hmm

Lets see.......there is an RP section.......and below it an group called RP groups with four listed.

Guess what?

Thats advertising.

I wonder how many newbies who come especially with the movie coming out will think thats the only groups around swfans. How many read the faq anyways? Very few do.

Granted its hosting and overall if they are paying for it they deserve it.

Is it fair and equal representation? Of course not. Are everyone getting a free chance to have the same offer? Yup.

Just wanted to state that because this is such an interesting topic:).

Oh well. Shall have a chat with Shawn. I'm intersted in seeing how much a link cost out of curousity more than anything now. Plus really dont want the guy to pay anything out of his own pocket if such a thing is indeed cost quite a few bucks.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 7th, 2002, 01:37:32 AM
Mark, only group boards, not personal ones. :) I think thats the gist of what Yog said.

I still am not quite sure why TSE doesn't WANT to leave Ezboard, but its up to them of course. If they really like it better there ( yes, they are CRAAAAAAZY! ) , couldn't we have a link? :D

I don't think that having the groups hosted here be on the forum listing is advertising. After all, they are HERE. Would be silly to not have them listed..and impossible to find them at all.

Maybe TSE should just rely on the methods it always uses to get new people? Goodness, don't you guys have enough already!? What are you at, ten dillion now? :p

*scampers off*

Jedi Neo
May 7th, 2002, 02:00:23 AM
I can guess that by now they have paid for gold CSC and don't want to lose that. I agree with then staying on Ezboard because of that. But as long as that is the only thing that is holding them there, I don't see a reason they can't join the rest of us here.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 7th, 2002, 02:05:25 AM
Jedi Neo...Bringing Peace and Love to the New Millennium. The rainbow background is...so...pinkish! :D

Yeah I can see the Gold CSC being ..sort of a reason.....

Marcus Telcontar
May 7th, 2002, 04:54:01 AM
a) As far as I can see, the forums on display are the ones hosted here. Seems fair they would be listed as they are.

b) Yog paid up for CSC for GJO only two weeks ago. So it might be seen as a waste - or it bought time for an orderly move. GJO Ezboard isnt just goign to be closed, especially as we have a lot of new players turning up. Now, it's very much up to the groups to make themselves found and to do their own publicity. We ran a questionaire and we found no one new came from SWForums. They followed links, search engines and such. GJO are not goign to even think a link here is going give us a presence. It's been proven that it would not be the case. GJO I might add is likely to have grown far faster lately and be attracting more posters that SWForums has. I would think having GJO feed is of a benefit to this place, not the other way around. I cant even remeber the last time someone new turned up from SWfans first.

The point is, one link on the fornt page means little. SWForums is a host to groups who act independantly, but contribute money to the cost of the server, band width, etc. If I was paying money, I would expect to be featured in some way!

c) Before this even occured, I asked for assurances that the internal running of GJO would not be interfered with in any way. In fact, if this hadnt been put down, I would have raised merry hell. I want GJO independant and in control of what IT does and I will not tolerate anything else. I want to be able to let loose and behave as I always have and I know I can, administer GJO as I see fit. Nothing about how GJO is being run is going to change.

Even more to the point, the Admins have done a lot of hacking if the code of vB to accomodate us and what we want and to assure us of independance. A lot of highly useful hacks have been done and for that I voice my gratitude.

Let me tell you that if SWForums didn't guarenttee the freedom I wanted for GJO, I would have told both Yog and SWForums to go -DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR- themselves. My lingering doubts are only centered around continued recruiting and the fact it's not "home"

So now, we have a few months to see how this works while GJO Ezboard is still gold. Should prove interesting to see what happens.

Shawn
May 7th, 2002, 05:18:11 AM
Sorry I wasn't around yesterday - You have no idea how dead I am from work. :x I've hardly left the place in the past few days. Heck, I have an hour to myself before I have to head back again. Anyway...

Here's the long and short of it: We're not going to be providing links to every group that requests it. If we did that, we'd have to add a link for every little group that pops up. And having 10-15 forums listed on the front page that are nothing but links does seem like an awful lot of clutter to me.

Getting "advertised" on the main page is one of the perks of being hosted here.

TSE is not exempt from our offer: If one of the admins would like to contact me about arranging a move here, I'd be more than willing to work out the details with them.

To the greatest extent we can possibly offer, the hosted boards are entirely seperate entities from SWFans. They have Custom Titles seperate from the rest of the board, have the ability to ban users from just their board, etc. The Admins and Mods of SWFans will not interefere with how things are run at these boards unless their respective admins request us to.

Darth Viscera
May 7th, 2002, 07:25:48 AM
PM heading your way, Shawn.

Jedi Master Leia Solo
May 7th, 2002, 09:48:49 AM
Well if Jedah and TSE want their home the way it is, just like LD I do NOT see any harm in them having a link to their Ezboard. It seems only fair..IMO.

Jedi Neo
May 7th, 2002, 09:54:03 AM
[Off Topic]

Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Jedi Neo...Bringing Peace and Love to the New Millennium. The rainbow background is...so...pinkish! :D

Yeah I can see the Gold CSC being ..sort of a reason.....

:p

Wait a min Pinkish!! Hold the phone what are you talking about I don't see any pink in there!o_O
[/Off Topic]

TheHolo.Net
May 7th, 2002, 09:55:36 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Leia Solo
Well if Jedah and TSE want their home the way it is, just like LD I do NOT see any harm in them having a link to their Ezboard. It seems only fair..IMO.

Originally posted by Shawn
Here's the long and short of it: We're not going to be providing links to every group that requests it. If we did that, we'd have to add a link for every little group that pops up. And having 10-15 forums listed on the front page that are nothing but links does seem like an awful lot of clutter to me.

Getting "advertised" on the main page is one of the perks of being hosted here.

TSE is not exempt from our offer: If one of the admins would like to contact me about arranging a move here, I'd be more than willing to work out the details with them.
And then what is to stop every little group that pops up and the issue of their wanting the same treatment? It’s a precedent that cannot be set. The fairness in it, is that they have the same opportunity that the other groups have, plain and simple.

Jedi Master Leia Solo
May 7th, 2002, 09:56:01 AM
LD is right...looks pinkish/purplish at the end ;) of the sig :rollin

Jedi Master Leia Solo
May 7th, 2002, 09:58:05 AM
And then what is to stop every little group that pops up and the issue of their wanting the same treatment? It’s a precedent that cannot be set. The fairness in it, is that they have the same opportunity that the other groups have, plain and simple.

I understand what you are saying. But TSE is not no little group as we know. They are a major Sith group. :\

::Shuts up before she gets in trouble:: O_o

TheHolo.Net
May 7th, 2002, 09:59:14 AM
Oh so now we are supposed to treat one group different then another? Ummm that is not good policy, not at all.

Jedi Master Leia Solo
May 7th, 2002, 10:01:24 AM
:| ::Knew I should have sssh::

Sorry it was just my opinon. Maybe not the best.

Oh well...

TheHolo.Net
May 7th, 2002, 10:03:57 AM
Its just that if we give one group special consolation, what then is there to stop that consolation from being abused in the future, either by them or by another group seeking the same?

What we have offered is completely fair to all, equal and just, there is no discrimination, there is no favoritism, there is no special privilege, there is fairness.

Jedi Master Leia Solo
May 7th, 2002, 10:06:34 AM
I understand what you are saying. I guess I thought there was no harm. But yeah..this could present possible problems in the future.. I can see your point

Jedi Neo
May 7th, 2002, 10:07:51 AM
Alrighty then!

I agree that a board link is a bad idea, but..

They can always advertize in their sigs...

Jedi Master Leia Solo
May 7th, 2002, 10:10:16 AM
True Neo! That is an alternative for them

Darth Lynch
May 7th, 2002, 10:11:46 AM
Actually Deville TSE does have enoug people and could stand to be trimmed down. But thats been a fact that has existed for quite some time now, as it is its not about loosing potential new people. As I stated above I'm really hoping TSO and GJO get some more people to add variety to those groups and get them into high gear again.

I'd love to see GJO out causing problems for the Sith and Imperials or assorted bad guys. Just seeing TSO again back into the high swing of things would be great because its one of the oldest groups here and has some good people in it but not enough numbers to really get it kicking as much as it could. All this could change that and I'm hoping they get some good things going again soon.

No. The problem is this.

Equal and fair representation.

As it is I really dont see the problem with a link cause TSE along with the GJO make up the two largest groups. Its not some two bit group or not like it hasnt been around for a long time. It would hardly "clutter" things up to be allowed a simple link, hell that would be paid for if its a problem as I stated.

In short we dont want to move here either. We got no reason nor any desire. If ezboard goes bottom up might consider it but until than with all the past instances that have happened/how heated it got and many of us know of what I speak of its just not in anyones best interest to move TSE here until some potential "issues" are worked out. If that ever happens I got no idea. But its just not a good idea at this time because it could lead to some additional unwanted problems and I really dont think anyone wants to see any more of those. Hell this is annoying enough.

To say the least Im disappointed in the decision because of several reasons and overall find the clutter reason to be somewhat dubious and that TSE is one of the oldest/biggest well known groups to exist or be associated with this place so a link isnt all that unreasonable and something I would have said for either TSO or GJO if it was happening to them due to my view. But thats just IMO.

As it is what is being done is hardly fair and equal.

Its simple a convient way to say if you don't pay up and move here under you dont get jack.

Pretty much the same reasons why many hate ezboard really.

And overall the main fearwhen this vbulletin thing started because not everything is being done fairly now at all..

Whats next? No posting for a person if they dont join a group that pays for hosting?

TheHolo.Net
May 7th, 2002, 10:14:26 AM
Everyone is getting the same treatment, size of a group has no bearing, that is the epitome of fair.

Darth Lynch
May 7th, 2002, 10:20:35 AM
Keep repeating that and preaching it and I bet you and some might eventually began to believe it eventually.

TheHolo.Net
May 7th, 2002, 10:26:02 AM
Originally posted by Darth Lynch
As it is I really dont see the problem with a link cause TSE along with the GJO make up the two largest groups. Its not some two bit group or not like it hasnt been around for a long time. It would hardly "clutter" things up to be allowed a simple link, hell that would be paid for if its a problem as I stated.That request is no where in the realm of "fairness". That is TSE requesting special privelege due to their not being some "two bit group". That is special treatment. Fact.
Originally posted by Darth Lynch In short we dont want to move here either.And we have not told you that you are reqired to, we have only told you that to be listed as a group on the forum index, you have to do exactly what the other groups have done. Completely fair, everyone gets the same treatment.
To say the least Im disappointed in the decision because of several reasons and overall find the clutter reason to be somewhat dubious and that TSE is one of the oldest/biggest well known groups to exist or be associated with this place so a link isnt all that unreasonable and something I would have said for either TSO or GJO if it was happening to them due to my view. But thats just IMO.Again your asking for special consolation based on longevity and size. That isn't fair at all to those who don't have the longevity or size now is it? Where is the fairness in that?
As it is what is being done is hardly fair and equal.Where is the fairness in what you request, because I sure don't see any in making special consolation based on your conditions?

I speak the truth and you ask for special consolation, nice try in making me look the bad guy, but what we are doing is the definition of fairness, while what you want is special consideration.

Darth Lynch
May 7th, 2002, 10:46:56 AM
You need to relax a bit because not trying to portray you as the bad guy, just the decision to be rather idiotic.

The request is not unreasonable.

Its simply you wont do it.

I even offered to PAY for the link and that fact was not even replied too.

As it is a link would take up very little space, it doesnt give TSE any real special prvilages except to say yes there is a group called TSE that exist too and participates in this community.

I find your views and you trying to say I'm trying to make you look like the bad guy to be highly dubious comrade. As it is there are far better ways I would go about that if I was ever really angry or bitter at you.

In short I still find this to be a rather knee jerk reaction towards TSE but where some are concerened I'm not surprised.

If it was all fair and equal I'm sure TSE would have been given the same offer as the rest before hand instead of seeing the offical annoucement made and the others already up.

Fair and equal?

Tell me another one comrade.

TheHolo.Net
May 7th, 2002, 10:49:56 AM
You keep saying the same thing except not making any new or valid points.

We didn't pitch any offer to GJO, they came to us with a request which we weighed and decided upon. Your not coming to us or wanting to be hosted here displays your own resentment of the staff or whanot.

And yes, Shawn did reply to you, he said that link forums would not happen. Thank you carry on.

Morgan Evanar
May 7th, 2002, 11:01:13 AM
Cry me a goddamned river, Lynch.

Here are the facts: Hosting is required for one these link thingys. I don't even know where these links are, but they seem to be there. (You reffering to the roleplaying groups on the front of the board?)

Further: The way this works is pretty clearly outlined. You

A) Get hosted and get the link

or

B) Decided against getting hosted, and forgo the link.

What you are doing is trying to draw and exception due to your group's longevity and size, and trying to whine your way into something without playing by the rules.

Tough stuff.

Favoritism? Yeah, its there. Its playing favorites by who puts up some money for the hosting and playing by the rules that are clearly laid out.

Darth Lynch
May 7th, 2002, 11:20:39 AM
Making no valid points in your opinon you mean.

Quote time

Your not coming to us or wanting to be hosted here displays your own resentment of the staff or whanot.

Coming to request this when? Before? We dont want to move peroid unless something happens to ezboard.

As it is we were not even informed about this until it was done and obviously many others were and given a chance. It would not have taken much to have give the same opportunity when all this began, we would have said thanks but no thanks and that we would consider it if ezboard ever got into trouble but at least it would have shown some consideration or good will on behalf of some to have made the offer when others apprantly certainly knew what was going on.

As for my resentment of the staff.

Did I ever pretend to really like all the decisions/views of the staff? As it is I seldom got a problem with the actual people on the staff, I talk to most from time to time about some things and its hardly headted or any tension because dont even bother to talk about the boards which is the source of any conflict.

As it is you say I have resentment of the staff. Do I resent them? Not really. Do I trust them and always their reasons for doing what they do?

No.

That I got no problem admitting and have said so before. As it is your view and attitude towards TSE is well known and so is others so resentment or bitterness exist on all sides comrade. Some may deny it but most of us know better. Some just dont really give a damn either way and some want to stay far from such things and debates.

Oh and cry me a river Morgan so I can drown you it, your views on myself and TSE are VERY well known so enjoy the opportunity in this debate to try and get in your shot of me and accuse me of whining.

I find it laughable its people like you that say some take things too serious on the boards yet you yourselves like to whine and get up in a fuss about others when they dont agree with the mentality of some. Scared of some individulaity or the fact some wont follow like a mindless simpleton?

I'm making some good and valid points.

You dont like that.

Tough.

As it is did offer to pay for a link and thats completely resonable. There is nothing unreasonable about it. If that isnt allowed there isnt much I can do is there? I dont really expect anything to happen.

But that does NOT escape the fact this is my view and I'm standing by it and I got no problem backing it up and debating it.

TheHolo.Net
May 7th, 2002, 11:24:42 AM
Being able to use these forums for free and without having pop up advertising is a privilege provided by the one who does pay for it. Even ezboard requires that you pay to be pop up free now. Your very own TSE board has been paid for so that those who visit it are free of advertising.

You can go on and on all you like about unfair treatment, but until you pay you can’t dictate policy here. I’m sure you like that about the TSE board, you’re one of those in charge and can change policy based on your opinions. Nothing wrong with that at all, but I suspect there have been and there will be times in the future those who oppose your opinions and policies appear. I know you well enough that your response would be something along the lines of “Tough, you abide by our rules or you move along”. I know for a fact you have banned people that don’t get that point.

If there was such animosity towards yourself or your group here as you appear to imply, why do you think you are even able to post? Do you realize just how simple it would be for me or another admin to just make it so that you couldn’t even read a single topic on these forums? It would take all of about three seconds. Has that happened? No. Try turning the situation around and putting yourself in our place from a different hypothetical situation at a place that you have put money into and policies that you have made, and then come and tell me some more about what is fair or what is not fair.

Your offer to pay for a link on these forums was not accepted, time for you to accept that because you aren’t in charge here, just like the people you have banned at TSE that don’t agree with you, who you silence by way of the ban option.

Darth Lynch
May 7th, 2002, 11:30:26 AM
Consider those people who were banned hacked and tried to OOC attack the people and the group the bans were justified.

But this has gone on I admit and will serve no purpose other than to bloom into a full fledge flame war. Its going that way already.

As it is I dont plan to respond to anything else unless someone responds to what I said. Already conceited the link thing isnt going to be accepted so its getting very pointless now I do so admit.

Loki Ahmrah
May 7th, 2002, 11:49:34 AM
Just take a breath and imagine what the board would look like if it up and hosted links to all the different boards of groups whose members roleplay here - it would look atrocious - and exceptions cannot be made for one group over another regardless of it's size.

You never complained about it before, why now? Oh because various roleplaying groups have came forth and ASKED for swforums.net to host their boards on vBulletin and in return they will pay for the additional hosting fees.

I think the administrators of this board are well within their rights to decline such a request if they deem necessary and I for one respect and agree with their position.

ReaperFett
May 7th, 2002, 11:55:23 AM
I understand what you are saying. But TSE is not no little group as we know. They are a major Sith group.
Define major. If I started a small Jedi Academy, and had 5 existing RPers with new names, who posted A LOT, is that major? Depends on the definition.

Jedi Neo
May 7th, 2002, 11:58:03 AM
Uh...didn't I say that TSE could do it the old fashoned way?

WTF??

This is about fairness now? Did I miss something here?

Jedah, look I know of the problems that we've gone through in the past, but fairness was never one of them. Everyone here is very fair in thier dealings with many of the OOC issues (trust me I learned it the hard way). But look they are paying money for their entire forums to be moved here, not a link, not a advertizement, but their entire board. Maybe you see it differently, maybe you think because your the biggest group that this change will somehow take members away from you. I can say that it will not do that. I don't know what the heck your thinking right now.

Darth Lynch
May 7th, 2002, 12:45:20 PM
I got no idea what your talking about either.

O_o

We had issues?

o_O

Now I do feel out of the loop.

Anyways I'm just dropping the thing, as it is did read some good points on all sides and I can see what some are saying and overall there were some good points. Can't deny that.

All in all just about everything said was said on the issue and in some cases more than what should be said so just going to let it be unlike as I said someone else calls me on something I said and in that case shall reply cause I do defend my opinons/views:)

Master Yoghurt
May 7th, 2002, 12:50:17 PM
Ok, good. If at all possible, I would prefer not this thread watering out to a board link request debate. Lets move on. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
May 7th, 2002, 12:53:40 PM
I can see why we can't have a link now, thanks. I mean, if they got one, then EVERYONE would want one too!

Man: Waiter there is a fly in my soup!
Waiter: Quiet, or everyone will want one!

It starts with TSE and then after AOTC we have a dillion more people posting, and making new ezboards....having thirteen links up on the front page would be horrible, IMO. Its not anything AGAINST TSE, just it wouldn't be fair to say yes to you, and no to them. As I understand it, at least.

edit: oops took too long to type. :p Sorry guys!

Taylor Millard
May 7th, 2002, 02:17:51 PM
A dillion? Is there such thing as that? :huh

Jedi Master Leia Solo
May 7th, 2002, 02:24:22 PM
::Bops Fett in the head with a Pan::

Fett :headbash

There! Now you have a MAJOR headache!! Anymore questions?! :lol :rollin

Rama
May 7th, 2002, 02:38:39 PM
If I better check and Balance system was offered TSE may change our minds about hosting here, but as of now we are happy where we are.

As for the link....we do not require one.

TheHolo.Net
May 7th, 2002, 02:48:11 PM
Originally posted by Rama
If I better check and Balance system was offered TSE may change our minds about hosting here, but as of now we are happy where we are. How about specifics like Marcus laid out instead of vague terms that only you and those close to you might understand?

Rama
May 7th, 2002, 02:58:00 PM
No reason to get so aggresive there big red. Im trying to be reasonable here.

Checks and Balances........as in the same kinda system the US goverment uses. One branch can't get away with everything because the other two keep them in check. What im saying is basicly I don't trust everyone who has power here. Some have done some less then honest things in the past and I havn't seen any great change in personailty that would make me think that wouldn't do something like it again. In fact one the few decent and fair guys around here just left. So what im saying is that there isn't really anything offered here that would keep that from happening. But if there was something that would desway someone from even thinking about it........let alone attempting it then an agreement may be able to be reached. THe sorta thing that kept us out a nuclear war for nearly 50 years. Don't use your nukes.......cause we'll use ours right back.

TheHolo.Net
May 7th, 2002, 03:01:30 PM
I wasn't the least bit agressive. Don't attempt to color my responses in a way they are not intended. I simply asked a reasonable question so that I could understand better.

What has any of the staff done here that is not fair?

Why is it that there are five or more other groups who don't seem to have these same concerns you are speaking of? In your opinion of course.

Rama
May 7th, 2002, 03:06:19 PM
So I take it there won't be any Checks and Balances in place then?

TheHolo.Net
May 7th, 2002, 03:11:24 PM
You have yet to prove your point that they are needed.

Rama
May 7th, 2002, 03:13:32 PM
I didn't come here to air dirty laundry of things that have been long over.

I thank you for your time......maybe someday will be able to do this, but not today. TSE will respectfully stay seperate for now.

TheHolo.Net
May 7th, 2002, 03:16:22 PM
Sure thing. Now those who may be thinking similarly to me can remain in the dark about your need to have checks and balances based on what you say is unfair treatment by the staff, yet no provision of example only conjecture that it exists. Cool.

ReaperFett
May 7th, 2002, 04:12:31 PM
Will you two PLEASE just calm it? Last I checked, the title says GJO

Shawn
May 7th, 2002, 04:14:24 PM
Hi, it's me again. Remember me? :)

The groups are listed on the main page because they are, in reality, subforums - no different than this OOC forum or any other. The fact that they are listed on the main page is an added benefit that comes along with the deal. That's point one.

As far as Point Two goes, LD hit the nail on the head: What's sets TSE apart from every other group? It's been around longer? How do we quantify who's been around long enough to earn a link? TriOp has been around for at least a year, yet the board has something like 10 posts to it's name... not something worth listing, surely. But if the admin of the board were to request a link here, under what justification can I turn him down? Do you see what I'm saying?

Yes, the boards that moved here will have a few extra perks. That's what they're paying for. You don't go to a car dealership, take a car for a test drive, and then tell the man working there that you just want the seat: It comes with the rest of the car.

TheHolo.Net
May 7th, 2002, 04:15:12 PM
I think Rama and I are both finished with what we had to say. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming. :p

TheHolo.Net
May 8th, 2002, 02:52:58 PM
Okay, back off topic for just a second, yet on topic of the majority of this discussion. I have come up with a method to mention that there are other groups, and provide a link that is fair to all groups not hosted here at Fans, yet not add too much 'clutter' to the main forum index. The “Roleplaying Groups” category now has a description with two hot links in it.

Arya Ravenwing
May 8th, 2002, 03:00:04 PM
*goes to look*

TheHolo.Net
May 8th, 2002, 03:04:31 PM
And once all the moves that are going to happen are finalized and thread transfers complete, I can edit the links on the Portal links section for those groups who have moved to reflect their new URLs. :)

Arya Ravenwing
May 8th, 2002, 03:20:43 PM
I like it. I also checked out the "Character List" and couldn't imagine where it came from.

Then I remembered Gue's thread. :p

imported_Dara Shadowtide
May 8th, 2002, 04:28:18 PM
Thanks for putting the description and hot links in there. It is much appreciated. :)

Xenodoros Stormrider
Dec 22nd, 2002, 01:05:20 AM
...Ouch...:\

Figrin D'an
Dec 22nd, 2002, 01:09:39 AM
Was there a point to dredging this up?

ReaperFett
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:31:02 AM
Yeah, explain the flooding, pronto.