PDA

View Full Version : I'm In A Tornado!

Darth Viscera
May 2nd, 2002, 01:39:00 PM
HELP, I"m in the middle of it. One second nothing, then the next moment, hail, water pouring, can't see any clouds. HELP!

Mongtomery county, Maryland.

Darth Viscera
May 2nd, 2002, 01:40:16 PM
Oh good, it's quiet now. Hail was as big as baseballs. I think I'll go see what happened, felt like tiles flying off the roof. Or maybe it was the hail.

Gurney Devries
May 2nd, 2002, 01:40:43 PM
Would you like one of those little umbrellas in your drink?

Darth Viscera
May 2nd, 2002, 01:45:03 PM
My mom's little tomato tree uprooted and flew off. Huh.

Gurney, quiet. I'm being sincere.

Rama
May 2nd, 2002, 01:46:47 PM
What to do in case of A tornado:

Get into a basement, Cellar, Doorway, or Bath tub.

Note: getting on the internet and pleading for help won't save your life.

Darth Viscera
May 2nd, 2002, 01:53:22 PM
But I was writing a post.

Gurney Devries
May 2nd, 2002, 02:03:55 PM
Well, what did you expect?

"Sure thing! I'll drive over there right away and save you from your impending doom!"

Rama
May 2nd, 2002, 02:07:35 PM
Well im just trying to offer Sage-like advice. If you wanna sit in front of a huge electrical device while a serve storm rages outside then that's your bad mister.

Jinn Fizz
May 2nd, 2002, 02:08:43 PM
The idea of being in a tornado scares me. I think it's because of the whole hit-and-miss aspect to it. Your house may get blown away, but your next-door neighbor's place might be untouched. Now, I live in California, so I've definitely been through my share of earthquakes, but I'd take an earthquake any day over a tornado! :eek

Darth Viscera
May 2nd, 2002, 02:11:36 PM
Well you could have at least gone to the weather channel online, or checked CNN to see if there were any tornados in the capital, or used my thread for archival purposes!

jeez, show me a little respect, ye who has not weathered a tornado recently and come through victorious. This merely strengthens my resolve! I have come through this tornado, which chose not to spare many things, including my mother's beloved tomato plant, a better man!

Darth Viscera
May 2nd, 2002, 02:13:11 PM
well i didn't exactly see a dark funnel or anything, but there were no clouds, it started pouring all of a sudden and turned dark, and golfball-sized hail was falling. Plus there's a tornado watch in mo county.

Darth Viscera
May 2nd, 2002, 02:17:40 PM
Well, this computer is much more comforting to me than a basement. I was freaked out and wasn't panicking correctly.

Jedi Master Leia Solo
May 2nd, 2002, 02:41:18 PM
Hopefully this won't happen again.

But...seriously, what Rama said is true. Those are the places to go. I should know...we lived in PA for a few years and we had a bunch of those watches and a couple that touched down not too far away.

Darth Viscera
May 2nd, 2002, 03:11:50 PM
Well, looking back on it, I don't think it was a tornado. I just freak out during storms.

Hyphenated
May 2nd, 2002, 04:04:22 PM
Awww *hugs Visc* It'll be okaaaaaay.

:p

Wuss! ;)

Charley
May 2nd, 2002, 04:11:23 PM
December 2000, Me and Akrabbim were driving back to the house from China Fun (the coolest little filthy chinese restaurant ever). And suddenly, the sky got BLACK. We stopped at a red light, and saw an F5 funnel drop about a mile away, past Moody Music building and Bryant (If you've ever been to UA campus). We were behind this car, who obediently just stayed put at the red light, with no traffic. I wanted to get out, break his window, and punch him in the face. What moron obeys traffic laws when big swirling death is barreling down on you? At any rate, the light turned green, and we made it back to the relative safety of our house. The tornado diverted from campus, but hit northport and alot of suburban Tuscaloosa, flattening a ton of houses and buildings. It was nasty.

Lady Vader
May 2nd, 2002, 04:15:46 PM
*Shudders and hugs the rock she lives on*

I'd rather be shaken, not stired, thanks.

Loki Ahmrah
May 2nd, 2002, 04:23:53 PM
I've never had such an experience thankfully. Old Blighty mightn't have the best weather on the planet but at least its reliable; which is also in the sense that we have no earthquakes, no tornados, no tidal waves and no monsoon season. :)

Live Wire
May 2nd, 2002, 04:39:31 PM
*wholeheartedly agrees with LV*

I'll take an earthquake any day.

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
May 2nd, 2002, 04:43:49 PM
*nods* earthquakes anyday.....

Hyphenated
May 2nd, 2002, 04:45:50 PM
UGH I hate earthquakes!

But I would rather have an earthquake than a tornado or a hurricane.

On second thought...*moves back to England*

When the options are, have your house fall down, or have it blown away, I'd rather choose different options.

Darth Lynch
May 2nd, 2002, 04:46:46 PM
*Is happy to live in a major disaster free area*

The only disasters we have are the walking kind and those are called politicians.

Loki Ahmrah
May 2nd, 2002, 04:47:01 PM
I'd rather see the Cali girls shake than spin. :smokin

The only disasters we have are the walking kind and those are called politicians.

I liked that. :)

Live Wire
May 2nd, 2002, 04:49:45 PM
lol now that gav's posting with that avatar I will never be able to look at that harry potter kid in the same way again.

I am actually not bothered by earthquakes.....I usually wake up, go "cool" and go back to sleep.

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
May 2nd, 2002, 04:52:31 PM
I always happen to be awake for some reason when they hit, no matter when they hit, I'm up...but only the ones like 10 years ago were enough to really shake up stuff.....

Charley
May 2nd, 2002, 05:16:40 PM
Tornadoes, any day. At least they only hit a small area, and you can generally get out of the way if you're on top of things.

Kitssarri Reetissa
May 2nd, 2002, 06:41:15 PM
I hear ya Jedah, lucky to live relatively disaster free. The only time that I can think of when we had something big come was Hurricane Hugo like 10-15 years back i think it was. I got the bright idea to climb to the top of a large tree in my backyard that's next to powerlines. As you can see, I was a bright kid

Admiral Lebron
May 2nd, 2002, 08:17:11 PM
Don't feel bad. My Parents and all my aunts, uncles, and cousins decided to go for a week camp out on a small island, not far from Ocean City Maryland, and it turns out Hurrican Andrew was a few hundred miles off shore. Great waves for the first couple of days, then the hurrican hit. The only thing between us and the ocean was a twenty foot sand-dune which was shrinking.

Luckily, we my Uncle lives in Salisbarry, a town nearby where we camped so we went there for a while and dried out our gear. Fun experience.

Morgan Evanar
May 2nd, 2002, 09:05:17 PM
Hrm... 212 mile per hour winds at Homestead AFB, FL. Yeah, I sort of had that.

Marcus Telcontar
May 2nd, 2002, 09:20:38 PM
Australia dont get tornados

Nor Earthquakes

Or hurricanes

But we get Fires. Really ugly and big ones

And Droughts.

After the droughts come the floods. Some places in Australia have floods the size of Texas. Literally. Thankfully only happens every 50 odd years

Rama
May 2nd, 2002, 09:30:40 PM
no earthquakes......only fault nearby hasn't had a shake newsworthy in like a 100 years

No Tornados......The hilly terrian keeps them from gathering strength.

no Floods.......I love on high ground, even if it did flood I wouldn't know about it till i tired to leave.

No Tidal waves........not near the ocean

No Hurricans.......Ditto

No Fires........never get's dry enough for a huge fire.

So basicly the only thing i have to worry about is it my basement leaks or not.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 2nd, 2002, 10:32:43 PM
The only disasters that I've been around for in northern Washington were:

5.7 earthquake last year. That one woke me up, but it was all cool cause they cancelled school.

WTO and all of its riots. School got cancelled that time also cause of a suspected bomb threat; one of our campuses is in the same building as the World Trade Center. I think the only thing that pissed me off was the fact that I couldn't go to my all-night dive to order poppers and coffee at 2 in the morning; there was a curfew in effect 'cause Paul Schell just had to declare marshal law.

Mardi Gras riots in Pioneer Square.

The one thing I am waiting for is for the Alaska Way Viaduct to come down. Word has it that if there's another earthquake, the ground beneath it is gonna liquify and the whole thing is goin' down. But it's slated to be torn apart as it is and replaced.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 2nd, 2002, 11:44:17 PM
Loma Prieta Earthquake, 1989, 7.1 on October 17 or..something like that. It was a Tuesday.

I was 9...had only lived in CA for a year, never experienced more than ONE earthquake, and that one was small.

I cried all night, wanting to go back to England where they don't have the horrible things. My bookcase (floor to ceiling almost) was completely emptied all over the room, and I practically slept under the table that night.

Not something I want to ever do again. That table was UNCOMFORTABLE!

Miryan no Trunks
May 2nd, 2002, 11:49:14 PM
All I've ever had to deal with out of Vanc. BC is a couple of earthquakes. One a few years ago that did Nothing, and the one last year.

Which I missed.

Cause I slept right through it.

Stupid waterbed >_<

Oh well, fortunately, when/if the "big one" happens, the town I live in is literally the safest place to be in the entire lower mainland of British Columbia, and likely the only one not to have any real damage caused to it (ie: liquified ground, floods, etc. etc.)

Sejah Haversh
May 3rd, 2002, 10:51:07 AM
I've never been in a tornado, but I have been through a few earthquakes. The most memorable was the big one s'Il felt as well, the 5.7. I got to go home from work early because power was down for hours, and hundreds of products fell to the floor, makign a big big mess.

But another good one was when I worked at Emerald Downs, a horse racing track. I think it was a 5.2 or 5.3. I'll tell you, there's not many things funnier than watchign race horses react to an earthquake mid-race. They were all goign different directions, and the jockeys were screaming for them to obey. I was busting up laughing.

Jockeys are mean. And rude. At least the ones at Emerald Downs were. But I no longer work there. (Thank goodness!)

And you can tell your mother not to worry about her precious tomato plant, I'm sure it's happier there in tomato plant heaven.

Gurney Devries
May 3rd, 2002, 11:22:39 AM
As Morg mentioned: No tornados, but we've had plenty of Hurricanes.

Darth Viscera
May 3rd, 2002, 11:33:04 AM
Actually, my mom did a more thorough survey of her garden, and it seems that many small tomato plants flew off, not just one. The storm must have been making a salad.

Charley
May 3rd, 2002, 12:19:36 PM
Yeah, we've gotten a few hurricanes, but they're rare. We got Andrew in his later stages, then Opal, and there were a few more. Always fun to get like 2 feet of standing water on the road, and gale force winds :)

Sejah Haversh
May 3rd, 2002, 12:43:25 PM
I've still got a newspaper who's giant print headline reads, "Hurricane Mitch Tighten's Grip on Caribbean".

I thought it was funny because my name is Mitch.

Hyphenated
May 3rd, 2002, 01:03:19 PM
5.7 is not big. :lol 5.7 is laughable! I LAUGH AT THE 5.7 EARTHQUAKE! HA HA HA HA HA!

*goes back to work, grumbling at having to appear sane for a few more hours*

Sejah Haversh
May 3rd, 2002, 01:16:22 PM
Okay, though it might not have had amplitude, it had playtime. Try 5.7 for about a full minute, on an area that usually never gets earthquakes. Felt like I was surfing on pavement.

Jedi Neo
May 3rd, 2002, 01:59:07 PM
We have all of this in Kansas and more!!!

Hyphenated
May 3rd, 2002, 01:59:48 PM
Wow, a whole minute! I'm a little more impressed now. :D

*shudders* I really don't like ANY natural disasters of any kind. :(

Hyphenated
May 3rd, 2002, 02:00:24 PM
Neo, there isn't anything in Kansas, who are you kidding?

Rama
May 3rd, 2002, 03:55:00 PM
There is lots of stuff in Kansas...............

'______'