PDA

View Full Version : Why did I do it? ;__;

Gurney Devries
May 1st, 2002, 11:10:43 PM
Well, I know why I did it... it was 40% off. Still, I'm going to be regretting it for the next two weeks.

I bought the AOTC novelization. Now, I have to keep myself from reading it until May 16th. The horror. This is going to be nothing if not a sheer test of willpower. I'm trying to avoid reading so much as the dust jacket. Gah... I can't believe I bought this thing. :x

Lilaena De'Ville
May 1st, 2002, 11:18:35 PM
That's nothing, my brother picked it up at Walmart and READ THE ENDING!

Now he hates himself.

:lol I, of course, find it amusing. :)

Marcus Telcontar
May 1st, 2002, 11:20:50 PM
Give in to the Spoiler Side.

Gurney Devries
May 1st, 2002, 11:22:56 PM
No! Never! I am too strong to succumb!

Marcus Telcontar
May 1st, 2002, 11:53:13 PM
I feel the need for spoilers growing in you now.

Jacen Himes
May 1st, 2002, 11:56:45 PM
Five bucks says that by now he's already read the first page.

Gurney Devries
May 1st, 2002, 11:59:17 PM
I am not that weak willed. :p Give me some credit!

Lilaena De'Ville
May 2nd, 2002, 12:06:44 AM
BWAHAHAHAHA!

I haven't even seen the cover of the novelisation. :)

Aurelias Kazaar
May 2nd, 2002, 12:14:45 AM
Why do you think I haven't gone to any book stores in the last two week. :lol

Jacen Himes
May 2nd, 2002, 12:19:40 AM
"Aw phoo-ey."

Hands over the moolah.

If I saw that book, I'd flip to the back and read the ending, right then and there. If I had enough to buy it, I'd do so and then take a BIG break from EVERYTHING, just to finish it quicker.

Charley
May 2nd, 2002, 01:17:32 AM
You don't need spoilers, Gurney, I sense this will be the greatest of all SW movies.

You don't want to read about it. No, of course not.

Darth Viscera
May 2nd, 2002, 01:27:50 AM
No way, not without Irvin Kershner. ESB is and always shall be the boss. Heck, have you taken a look at how those rebel troopers stare out of their trenches, towards the oncoming AT-ATs? As the ground rumbles beneath them, they're resigned to the fact that they're going to get their butts kicked. Nothing can beat that.

MMU
May 2nd, 2002, 01:34:13 AM
I don't know which one is my favorite. I did enjoy ESB, but not because of the same reasons as you, Vis.

I just wanted to ride around on a tauntaun.

Jacen Himes
May 2nd, 2002, 01:50:52 AM
I prefered ROTJ. I like seeing a more experienced Luke, with more control of the Force. That farmboy thing had to fade sometime and that's why I like ROTJ. I like the cool, black clothed, Jedi Knight Luke.

Charley
May 2nd, 2002, 01:56:01 AM
I won't say, because I sense an upset.

AotC is going to give ESB a run for its money

Jacen Himes
May 2nd, 2002, 01:57:40 AM
BTW, I agree with the statement AOTC will eclipse all of the other movies. The amount of action and sheer plot developments are overwhelming.

ReaperFett
May 2nd, 2002, 04:56:23 AM
Gurney, spoilers are for the weak. Give it to someone else to hide, like a parent or friend

Ken Jiang
May 2nd, 2002, 05:36:16 AM
I was tempted to buy the novelization last week but knew that if I did I'd end up reading it. Now I have to avoid illustrated guides, scripts and friends who've read it. I am going to be clean going into this one, well, as clean as possible. :)

Vinny Red
May 2nd, 2002, 06:20:57 AM
ESB was really good, right now I'm still loving ANH though. The one that "began" it all. The rebels are so much more desperate and not very well equipped, and their fight against the Empire is made to look as such. Plus I love that garbage compactor scene. ESB was good, don't get me wrong, I love the whole Hoth battle, hell I don't know anyone that doesn't. I just don't think it to be as good. AOTC should be the best of them all, but I'm waiting for the 3rd installment so that I can see Obi and Ani really go at it. That's going to be sweet

Marcus Telcontar
May 2nd, 2002, 06:35:35 AM
Well.... dunno if AOTC will be better than ESB, but from the novelisation (GIVE IN TO YOUR SPOILERS!) it should be quite good.

Helenias didnt like TPM at all and she read the AOTC book. She's wanting to see the movie now as well.

Jedi Master Leia Solo
May 2nd, 2002, 07:22:15 AM
DON'T DO IT GURNEY!!!

DON'T GIVE INTO THE SPOILERS!!!!

Marcus Telcontar
May 2nd, 2002, 07:23:15 AM
Join me Gurney... and your journey to the spolier side shall be complete!

Morgan Evanar
May 2nd, 2002, 08:08:38 AM
Meh, hand me the book. I won't touch the thing.

Darth Viscera
May 2nd, 2002, 08:45:20 AM
Originally posted by Ken Jiang
I was tempted to buy the novelization last week but knew that if I did I'd end up reading it. Now I have to avoid illustrated guides, scripts and friends who've read it. I am going to be clean going into this one, well, as clean as possible. :)

Too late...I already told you about the...

<font size="7" color="#808080">GIRAFFES!!!</font>

Gurney Devries
May 2nd, 2002, 09:13:22 AM
Well, the initial urge has passed.... the book is safely gathering dust. For now... O_o

imported_QuiGonJ
May 2nd, 2002, 10:51:45 AM
Good, cause I just read at theforce.net the book has "a lof of additional material" which sounds like the film and the book diverge in places. So, yes, leave it be for two weeks. :)

Gurney Devries
May 2nd, 2002, 11:39:32 AM
It's going to be rough. I've got a good feeling about this movie, and I really can't wait to see it. The question is, can I wait to read it?

Gav Mortis
May 2nd, 2002, 11:49:52 AM
I'll answer that, for your sake, yes.

Gurney Devries
May 2nd, 2002, 11:51:51 AM
(looks over at it sitting on his bed)

Maybe the dust jacket would be ok... they can't give away much on the dust jacket, can they?

Gav Mortis
May 2nd, 2002, 12:09:45 PM
(Takes the book away and places it by his side)

You want this, don't you?

(Taps the book)

The temptation is swelling in you now. Take your AOTC book, read it, I am unarmed, spoil yourself with it, give in to your temptation.

With each passing moment you make yourself more my servant. >D

Gurney Devries
May 2nd, 2002, 12:12:25 PM
(grits teeth and turns away)

Gav Mortis
May 2nd, 2002, 12:17:32 PM
It is unavoidable, it is your destiny.

You...like your father, are now...mine!

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
May 2nd, 2002, 12:25:00 PM
:lol I would never be able to leave it alone, hell I read up to two towers of the Lord of the Rings before I saw the movie.....

Gurney Devries
May 2nd, 2002, 12:26:30 PM
er... but you're supposed to read the LOTR books before seeing the movies. o_O I read them in 7th grade.

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
May 2nd, 2002, 12:31:57 PM
hehe, I never did so :p , I meant I never would be able to leave the book alone since I couldn't not read LotR and ruin that for myself.......

Live Wire
May 2nd, 2002, 12:32:04 PM
lol lotr is totally different. The books are supposed to be read before the movie cause the books came first.

With Star Wars its your duty to avoid the spoiler side! Don't give in!!!!

I was in pasadena and walked past the book store and there in the window sat a huge display of the novel on sale to boot. I made my friends drag me away....it was oh so tempting.

Morgan Evanar
May 2nd, 2002, 12:32:12 PM
Yup, LOTR is a completely different thing. The books have been out for decades now. For AOTC, its spoiling a movie. The book is about the movie, not vice versa.

Figrin D'an
May 2nd, 2002, 12:33:50 PM
LOL at this entire thread....

I've been to the bookstore 3 times since the novelization became available, and I haven't had the urge to pick it up at all. I legitmately don't want to know anything beyond the few minor spoilers that have stumbled upon. The list of potential spoilers I have been exposed to is pretty small:

1) I've watched the trailers and the commercials
2) I have the Lego sets and a couple of figures (I haven't read the backs of the packages either).
3) I played the 'Jedi Starfighter' game on PS2, which kind of runs parallel to the AOTC plot (and made me develop a theory on something, but I'll have to wait until the I see the film to determine if it is accurate or not).

I learned my lesson with TPM...
I want to be surprised this time around, not just be sitting in the theatre waiting for particular events in the film to take place... it'll make the film experience much better, IMO.

Gav Mortis
May 2nd, 2002, 12:50:39 PM
Agree with Figrin I do.

Gurney Devries
May 2nd, 2002, 01:13:53 PM
Fig: I haven't even watched the TV commercials. I've seen the theatrical trailers and the music video, and that's it. I visit Barnes & Nobles on a daily basis, and they had it for 40% off the cover price... I couldn't resist. But I'm doing my best to resist reading it.

Now, I'm just going to have to find something else to read on my 7 hour flight...

Admiral Lebron
May 2nd, 2002, 01:20:30 PM
ESB wasn't the best in my opinion. ROTJ was great. The space battle at the end... that's one of the best space battles ever. Only think that rivals it is a couple episode of star trek. And, Leia in a steel thong... :D

ReaperFett
May 2nd, 2002, 01:22:06 PM
You'll apprecitae some things more not seeing the trailers.

I do regret seeing one of them now :(

Gurney Devries
May 2nd, 2002, 01:27:38 PM
I've seen the trailers, just not the commercials.

ReaperFett
May 2nd, 2002, 03:01:12 PM
I meant the commercials, sorry. Just ONE in particular

Figrin D'an
May 2nd, 2002, 03:39:26 PM
Originally posted by Gurney Devries
Fig: I haven't even watched the TV commercials. I've seen the theatrical trailers and the music video, and that's it. I visit Barnes & Nobles on a daily basis, and they had it for 40% off the cover price... I couldn't resist. But I'm doing my best to resist reading it.

Now, I'm just going to have to find something else to read on my 7 hour flight...

Kudos on not seeing the commercials then. :)
I haven't seen all of them, just a few that I randomly happened to catch on TV... when they started to come on during my favorite shows, I thought about getting up and leaving the room, but I just was too lazy... ;)

If I were you, I wouldn't even bring it with me on the flight... it would be too much to resist reading even just a couple of pages. Leave it at home and read it when you get back. Or, if nothing else, pack it in your checked bags so you won't have access to it on the flight.

Gurney Devries
May 3rd, 2002, 12:09:53 AM
The latter idea was what I had in mind. :)

And I missed out on the TV commercials, quite simply, because I don't watch TV. :D

Lilaena De'Ville
May 3rd, 2002, 12:20:30 AM
Yeah me too, but I downloaded a few to watch.

I've seen SOME things, but I have no idea how it all goes together. AND, furthermore, I do not WANT to know. *hides behind Shawn*

HunterJodoKast
May 3rd, 2002, 12:30:40 AM
My favorite SW movie THUS far is definitely ESB because it is the darkest yet. However, I love ANH and ROTJ as well. But you know what, Lucas could have made a much better TPM, IMHO. But life has no room for what-ifs.

ATOC is going to be a kicker! I feel it may topple ESB as my favorite. Just the cast alone... Christopher Lee, Samuel L Jackson, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Ian McDiarmid, Temuera Morrison, Jimmy Smits, and er... Christian Hayden. Just another thing I enjoy about the prequels is the movie talent involved.

Arya Ravenwing
May 3rd, 2002, 01:03:30 AM
Hayden is his first name. To be honest, I can't spell his last name. :)

Gurney Devries
May 3rd, 2002, 01:07:38 AM
Hayden Christensen. Don't worry - I made the same mistake. o_O