PDA

View Full Version : Asterisk question

JMK
May 1st, 2002, 08:44:40 PM
In the "Users browsing this forum" and "Who's Online" and other features that display in a listed fashion, sometimes I notice that there is an asterisk beside their name, what does this signify?

TheHolo.Net
May 1st, 2002, 08:46:21 PM
That the user is in invisible mode, meaning that regular posters do not see that name in the who's online areas.

JMK
May 1st, 2002, 09:04:33 PM
Oh, interesting. So no one can hide from the staff, right?
What's the practicality of invisibility mode, aside from the fact that people can't see you?

Another question, when it indicates that someone is "online", does that mean that they are logged into the site, presently on the site, or just anywhere on the net?

Annoying aren't I? :p

TheHolo.Net
May 1st, 2002, 09:07:49 PM
1) It allows the posters some anonymity except from the staff.
2) Logged into SWFans, browsing the boards (or Portal) within the last 15 minutes, and not in invisible mode.

JMK
May 1st, 2002, 09:12:52 PM
Man you're quick on the draw! Thanks!
I guess I'm constantly shown as online then because I never log out, except for when I delete my temporary internet files and cookies. I hope that's not dangerous! ;)

TheHolo.Net
May 1st, 2002, 09:14:40 PM
If you leave SWFans for 15 minutes (stop loading pages here) you drop off the list, so no you are not shown as constantly online. You can also force yourself off the Who's Online list by using the Clear Session link near the bottom of the main forum page between the forum listings and the special features sections.

JMK
May 1st, 2002, 09:16:37 PM
Cool. This vBulletin software knows no limits, does it?!?

TheHolo.Net
May 1st, 2002, 09:18:12 PM
The Clear Session link is a little hack I added. :)