View Full Version : Stupid Virrii

Vinny Red
Apr 29th, 2002, 11:48:26 AM
Just to give you guys a heads up, that I've a virus right now, i THINK it's the I-Worm.Klez (http://www.avp.ch/avpve/worms/email/klez.stm) But i don't have an antivirus installed (stupid me). I've a number of you in my address book for Outlook Express, so you should run some scans and make sure you're not infected.

TheHolo.Net
Apr 29th, 2002, 11:53:41 AM
I have been seeing my AV software come up a lot recently on spam emals that I have been getting (which I never open anyway, just delete). This behavior has increased drastically over just the last two weeks. But it seems that its a big thing lately to send blank email messages that contain virrii. :x

Vinny Red
Apr 29th, 2002, 12:01:53 PM
On the link I previously provided, there is a small 80kb removal utility at the bottom. Here's the link for it for the lazy people

It's not a rabbit, it's death with big nasty pointy teeth (ftp://ftp1.avp.ch/utils/clrav.com)

Gurney Devries
Apr 29th, 2002, 04:00:46 PM
I've been getting a lot of blank e-mails lately. I thought it was my e-mail server acting funny (it's happened in the past). I've never gotten a virus in my life, and I don't use anti-virus programs. Still, I think I'll run the removal utility, just to be on the safe side.

Edit ~
Nothing to clean. Press any key to continue.

TheHolo.Net
Apr 29th, 2002, 04:04:06 PM
Norton 2002 scans as they are recieved, so it tells me if there is a virus present before I even open the message. The majority of the ones it has caught in the last two weeks (I'd guess about 10 or 12 of varying virus names) have mostly been blank emails.

Nikka DarkStorm
Apr 29th, 2002, 04:11:48 PM
No offense to anyone, but that's why I'm glad I have Webtv...although I've heard 'rumors' that someone was trying to make a virus to affect it. But I've gotten a couple of sound wave attatchments from someone I dont know myself, so I didn't bother opening them.

TheHolo.Net
Apr 29th, 2002, 04:15:00 PM
From looking at my Norton log files, it appears that I have had 9 emails with virrii in the last two weeks (much more than I usually get which is like one a month maybe).

Out of the 9, 8 have been the W32.Klez.gen@mm virus that Vinny mentioned and 1 was W32.Badtrans@mm.enc.

Gurney Devries
Apr 29th, 2002, 04:16:23 PM
No offense to anyone, but that's why I'm glad I have WebtvNone taken - WebTV is not something I'd consider as an actual alternative to a computer. :p

Lady Vader
Apr 29th, 2002, 04:17:54 PM
So, that'll explain those weird blank e-mails then? I was checking my LV account today and had like 3 or 4 blank e-mails, and I couldn't figure it out. But I've been recently checking my e-mail accounts here at work, seeing as how they have some heavy duty virus scans and firewall and whatnots.

So, guess this means no opening e-mails at home to unsubscribe from crap. |I

Morgan Evanar
Apr 29th, 2002, 04:25:17 PM
After having a broadband internet connection, you'd have to pay me to use something slower.

*Continues to download Farscape and Band of Brothers*

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 29th, 2002, 05:03:59 PM
The pural to Virus is...... virus. Not Virii.

Set email to allow Plain Text only. Use a Plain Text only reader.

Viola, no email virus ever again.

Gurney Devries
Apr 29th, 2002, 05:21:06 PM
vi·rus Pronunciation Key (vrs)
n. pl. vi·rus·eshttp://www.dictionary.com/search?q=virus :)

Gav Mortis
Apr 29th, 2002, 05:45:10 PM
Gurney! Give Marcus his thunder back. It's rude to steal! :)

As for the virus...I blame LV! o_O

Vinny Red
Apr 29th, 2002, 11:21:19 PM
well don't i have egg on my face now :p

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 29th, 2002, 11:43:19 PM
I've never gotten a blank email. Watch, one will show up now. :mad

Azure Regalia
Apr 30th, 2002, 12:23:13 AM
Any virus I send would consist of a :headbash

*Sends one to Gav... he hence forth gets :headbash.*

:lol

Nikka DarkStorm
Apr 30th, 2002, 07:22:37 PM
I'll agree that Webtv has its downfalls but I quite enjoy it. Not everyone in the world has to like it, in my opinion :)