PDA

View Full Version : The swearing filter

Shawn
Apr 28th, 2002, 08:05:38 AM
Well, it's one thing to have it be just kind of annoying for us. But if we're going to have some other groups move in, it's going to be bugging them, too. I'm thinking about putting it back to just simple asteriks.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 28th, 2002, 08:50:39 AM
Fine with me

ReaperFett
Apr 28th, 2002, 09:18:58 AM
Not fine with me. It then just means people just swear as they want. And then they say a word that isnt in the filter, and they are then publicly swearing.

Sanis Prent
Apr 28th, 2002, 11:31:22 AM
if they purposesly avert the filter, then we take action. If they get caught in the filter, its not a big deal. I mean, if its just ****, then I really don't care.

ReaperFett
Apr 28th, 2002, 12:17:02 PM
you dont care, they dont care, they do it again.

JMK
Apr 28th, 2002, 12:28:22 PM
I don't mind seeing asterisks everywhere, but I agree with Sanis that if they're trying to get past the filter, then they have to be dealt with on a case to case basis.

ReaperFett
Apr 28th, 2002, 12:34:42 PM
I didnt mean they're trying to get past it. Let me try something

-DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR-
twat
-DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR-
tosser
-DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR-head
bollocks

ReaperFett
Apr 28th, 2002, 12:36:08 PM
3/6 of my swear words got through. They start using swear words normally because they'll be conveniently starred, and some will slip through.

Shawn
Apr 28th, 2002, 02:25:42 PM
Ok. It was just supposed to be an act of consideration, since the swear filter will be board-wide.

ReaperFett
Apr 28th, 2002, 03:34:29 PM
If you want to make it less obvious, fine. But make it annoying. Make it so it isnt used :)

Shawn
Apr 28th, 2002, 03:46:08 PM
Just didn't know if the GJO and CIS would appreciate the.... disuasive filter. :) I still like my daffodils idea, though.

ReaperFett
Apr 28th, 2002, 03:55:14 PM
Hmm?

TheHolo.Net
Apr 28th, 2002, 04:10:23 PM
I'd like to hear some feedback from them about it before we switch myself. How about we ask at GJO and SFF?

CMJ
Apr 28th, 2002, 06:00:39 PM
I wish the swear filter didn't work on PM's....since those are between just 2 individuals and are very much like emails. It's not a big gripe or anything...just a bit of annoyance. :)

JMK
Apr 28th, 2002, 10:00:59 PM
I remember the daffodils idea, I'd love to see that!

Master Yoghurt
Apr 28th, 2002, 11:34:39 PM
Well, since you are asking for GJO opinion, I will say something. :)

Personally, I dont mind the filters either way. Not sure what the other GJO mods would think. However, if I may be so bold to say so, some people might find the current filter a little over the top. If you have to keep it, it would be better if it only said -DO-NOT-SWEAR- only once, as it is quite sufficient to give the message swearing is unwanted.

Actually, a lot of the time at GJO we had the filter disabled alltogether, and we rarely had a problem with it. I think it forced some people to be more responsible for what they were posting. If there was a problem, the message would be edited with "mind your language, please" and the issue was addressed. That would be a better message if you could change the script. GJO is supposed to be a family friendly board, and we do try to maintain a friendly and polite tone between the posters.

Sanis Prent
Apr 29th, 2002, 02:24:56 AM
Could we get the swearing filter to simply display a picture of Mr. T, saying "Shut yo mouth, Fool!""

That would be awesome.

Master Yoghurt
Apr 29th, 2002, 03:13:01 AM
:lol

ReaperFett
Apr 29th, 2002, 10:24:22 AM
LOL! :)

TheHolo.Net
Apr 29th, 2002, 10:27:50 AM
I wish it were possible to only have one instance of the replaced text when words are censored, but that isn't how the vBulletin software is designed. I'll take a look at some of the hacks on the hack board, but I don't know that we will be in luck.

Shawn
Apr 29th, 2002, 04:14:02 PM
hmm... You know, I'm pretty sure it would be possible to do as Sanis suggested. :) But it just wouldn't work well, and it would replace every letter in the swear word with the image.

And I agree: If it just displayed it once, the filter wouldn't be so bad. But having a whole extra line of text (in Caps, no less) for every swear word seems like a bit of overkill. I think it's best to use flyswatters on pests, not sledgehammers. :)

ReaperFett
Apr 29th, 2002, 04:25:02 PM
Fly swatters dont work as well, not heavy hitting against the flies with solid metal bodies :)