PDA

View Full Version : My review of the new figures...

Starquest aka AndyR
Apr 24th, 2002, 09:41:22 AM
I have to say that I really like the way Hasbro is making the figures. I heard somewhere that hasbro was "Putting the action back in action figure." and I have to agree with that... instead of the stiff arm figures that they usually make good for one pose, they have made these figures much more action oriented. Its not alot of fun to have a figure standing striaght with a gun pointed straight out. Another problem with the figures of the past was that there was no real action in the Phantom Menace to play out. Already we have alot of action from Attack of the Clones from just the trailers! More than enough to have me playing with my figures (yes, I am an opener - I figure I would never sell them anyway). I even bought the Jango Fett playset (with the two guns) and my daughter and I are ambushing each other at every turn.

My favorite figure has to be tha Jango Fett Kamino Escape. It really does have everything with it, removeable helmet, grapple hook (currently hooked around ob1's wrist), missile firing jetpack, two blasters, and working holsters!

Also something I would like to note. If you haven't opened any figures, I would suggest getting one or two and opening them. the quality of the plastic is better than ever! no longer do we have the hard as stone hands (that used to get broken when wedging in a gun handle) and accessories. They are all a nice soft plastic with a very high amount of detail. Bendable, without the fear of breaking them.

the deluxe figures... I got three of them, Dooku, Windu, and Fett. the Fett figure has some neat sounds, but it is kind of clunky due to the weight of the backpack. The backpack has to be on for the figure to stand and if it is out there is a huge gaping hole in his back anyway. The Dooku figure has to be in a specific position before he will actually do his flip and land (there were many jokes about geriatric acrobats during this process). The Mace figure is the best of them in my opinion. the figure has a decent pose (all of the deluxe figures have severly limited movement), and its neat to get a battle droid to shoot apart, the only problem being getting that droid to stand up in the first place - very flimsy droid. Bottom line on the deluxe figures is that they were made to do one thing, be it flipping, making sounds or using the "force" to blow back a battle droid, so playability is limited.

So far I am very happy with the collection so far. I have yet to find count dooku (regular, not deluxe), yoda, and duel anakin (with the two sabers) - But I am still looking! I will but the ships someday, but budget doesn't allow that right now...

Tip of the day! As I am an opener, I had to find a way to open the figures without damaging the packaging - this in case I want to display them someday in their original package. I managed to get a razor blade and slice the bottom out. When slicing, I left the part on the face side of the bubble intact, only cutting the sides and the portion of the bubble connected to the card. By folding it back I am usually able to slip out the "tray" holding the figure. In some cases (young boba fett) the "tray" was actually molded under the bubble and attached to the card. when that happened I had to slice the bubble down to the card (cutting the tray in the process) in those places where the bubble glue included the tray. This allowed me to pull out the tray as well. I originally cut the bubble on the bottom side and left the plastic flap attached on the card side instead of the front side, but when I switched to the card side being cut, it allowed me to close them better after re-inserting the figure because I could leverage it against the card to keep it closed due to the bubble angle.

anyway, I was just sharing my thoughts on the figures in general, cause I like em!

imported_QuiGonJ
Apr 24th, 2002, 04:15:02 PM
Nice writeup! :)

Starquest aka AndyR
Apr 25th, 2002, 08:44:53 AM
hey thanks.
Actually I forgot one subject in there - metal lightsaber handles!

I love them! The only problem is that they make the plastic ons look really really cheap. If they were going to make the change, they should have made it to all of them.

sirdizzy
Apr 25th, 2002, 12:58:53 PM
well hey i like the change so its all good makes em look totally awesome

Darth_Ytnom
May 24th, 2002, 09:42:20 AM
I've personally spent a small fortune on these figures, I love em,..my only complaint is that there are no stands to stand them on,

Hunk
May 24th, 2002, 10:18:50 AM
Was was rather disappointed with the deluxe Jango Fett, especially with that big ugly hole in his back. The plus side is that you can combine the helmet from the Kamino Escape Jango with the removeable armor from the deluxe figure and have a nice pile to put in an open closet for ObiWan to see :D

JMK
May 24th, 2002, 01:48:14 PM
Hunk, is that avatar the fat guy from Voltron? :lol

Hunk
May 24th, 2002, 02:09:11 PM
Hunk wasn't fat, he was big-boned! But yes, it's him

(I was beginning to wonder if anyone realized where the picture and name came from)

JMK
May 24th, 2002, 04:34:33 PM
I recognized his face a few days ago, but I wasn't sure if he had the padawan braid. :lol Or did you add that in yourself??

Jedieb
May 24th, 2002, 05:12:41 PM
I thought it was a given that everybody knew that was Hunk from Voltron!

My favorite figure so far is the Yoda. I like it so much I'm thinking of buying a second one and putting it on my desk at work. Dexster is another nice figure. I've only opened about half of the first 32 or so and none of the Deluxe so I've got a way to go, but Yoda tops my list so far.

ReaperFett
May 24th, 2002, 06:34:18 PM
I keep them boxed, will get some.

Most seem to dislike the actions. THe Padmé pilot apparently is near impossible to keep down, and Mace seems to be more or less a projectile launcher :)

Hunk
May 24th, 2002, 07:48:13 PM
Which one? The regular figure or the Deluxe one? Except for the grinning face, I like the Deluxe MAce quite a bit

ReaperFett
May 24th, 2002, 07:51:26 PM
normal

Spirityoda
Jun 26th, 2002, 01:03:44 PM
:rolleyes O_o :rolleyes I love the new figs. Just wished that they had stands with them. I agree with that. maybe in the future hasbro will include stands with the cards ??:huh

Jedieb
Jun 26th, 2002, 02:12:54 PM
Anything is possible, but right now Hasbro is just focused on detailed sculpts and accessories. They COMMTech chips were great stands, but the chips themselves and the reader were a flop. I think it would be great if they went to a chip/coin. Something like the old POTF coins that could also double as a stand.

Spirityoda
Jul 1st, 2002, 12:59:21 PM
O_o great idea Jedieb
:D