PDA

View Full Version : Gift from the Gods (open challenge)

Darth Viscera
Apr 22nd, 2002, 01:20:23 AM
<center>Rell's Diner, Manarai Heights District
Coruscant</center>

He arrived, sporting a plain brown cloak. His lightsaber hung concealed from a clip on his belt, and he scanned the busy diner for his contact. Indeed, this lunch hour was a busy one; the waiters were putting up with an epic amount of traffic.

"Ttoo cheeba, Ares?" came the reverberating, synth-sounding voice of Treena, his female Rodian contact. She spoke in broken Huttese, which he translated with the force. Regardless of spoken language, Rodians were easy to read.
That you, Ares?

He had given Treena that name for a reason. It was something less than inconspicuous to let a Rodian know that the Imperial Diktat wanted links to a valuable piece of merchandise, lest the item increase in demand.

He took a seat in her booth, and did a quick scan of her person. One blaster pistol in her light coat, a holdout blaster stuffed in her boots. Fine.

Darth Viscera: Do you have what I asked for?
Treena: I do.
Darth Viscera: Show me.
Treena: No no no, you show me credits, I show you holo of the item. You show more credits, and I take you the item.

Smiling, he put several credit chits on the table. Treena shielded a hand over the credits, in an effort to prevent the diner's other customers from looking on her revenue.

Darth Viscera: Eight hundred.
Treena: More.

He tossed two more chits onto the table.

Darth Viscera: One thousand. Show me the holo.

She made a Rodian approximation of a grin, and removed a small holoviewer from her jacket. She thumbed it on, and before his eyes appeared an image of the Gheous Ad, a Sith Holocron. Various markings were etched into its sides, and he couldn't immediately decrypt them. Not in holographic form, anyhow.

He tossed five more credit chits onto the table, which she quickly pocketed.

Darth Viscera: Five thousand. Take me there.

They rose from their seats, getting ready to leave the diner.

Gurney Devries
Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:56:31 AM
He'd seen that. Oh, it would have taken a great deal of effort not to have seen something like that. Maybe if he had still been a combat instructor, with an attitude instead of a borrowed lightsaber... maybe he might not have known what it was. And maybe he might not have noticed that there was a good deal more to the cloaked man than he was letting on.

Even knowing all this, the slightly haggard combat instructor and veteran, Gurney Devries, might have been willing to just let it go - if some fool wants to waste an insane amount of money on some well of 'knowledge', that's his business. But no... on top of everything else, Gurney was a Jedi now. And, even as the man and his Rodian companion got up to leave, the words of his master came back to him: "Trust your instincts, Gurney. Many times, it is the Force, attempting to guide you. Listen to it."

Yeah yeah... the almighty Force.

With a mental sigh, Gurney lifted his cowl back up, covering his face almost entirely. He didn't have enough talent in using the Force to mask his presence yet. But he had one of the best guises on his side: the Mask of Anonymity.