PDA

View Full Version : Box office Contest

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 21st, 2002, 08:32:06 PM
Okay me, CMJ, and JMK have been talking about and since Darth23 doesn't want to make an appearance, (if you want to do it Darth please tell us don't want to step on your toes) that we are thinking about doing the Box office contest again like we did last Summer. First off how many are interested, if there is no interest I guess there is no point, after we guage the interest we will set up the rules etc (it will be the same as last year CMJ and myself have already come up most of them from our memory) and we will have to start the weekend of the 3 since that is the opening of Spiderman, the first big summer movie. So all guesses would have to be in by Saturday 10 AM EST (does that sound right CMJ I don't think Friday's numbers come in before that or do they. Okay so who wants to do it I think it will be a lot of fun.

CMJ
Apr 21st, 2002, 08:34:10 PM
Sounds cool to me Carr. There better be interest or I'm gonna cry. ;) Or maybe just ban everyone...LOL. Just kidding guys. :)

Darth23
Apr 21st, 2002, 09:15:28 PM
We're doing the same contest as last year at Coruscantcity.net.

I'm not sure who's actually running it, but I believe there will be big prizes for the winners again at the end of the contest. Mu and Sirdizzy have offered to help, I'm not sure who's going to do what yet. It will start Spiderman weekend - May 3rd and run through Labor Day weekend.

The rules will be the same unless there are suggestions for changes that should be made.

The general consensus is that since so many CCnetters post over hear regularly, we'dd like to invite you guys to post at <a href-http://www.coruscantcity.net/cgi-bin/board//forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Box+Office+Figures&number=2&DaysPrune=30&LastLogin=>CCnet</a> for the contest.

(BTW last years prizes were Tie Interceptors for Mu and Darth Turbo q'Dunn)

Laterz

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 21st, 2002, 09:35:34 PM
Hey Darth that could be a better idea but some of the regulars here don't post much over there if at all, how about this could one person or two depending how many would be willing to do it just post the guesses for them, like they post them here and then somebody copies and then posts over there, or would that be too confusing. Let me know I would really like to find an easy way to work out that is best for everyone.

Darth23
Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:34:03 AM
Nope. Sorry.

All participants would have to post their own guesses at CCnet. I don't think that's too much to ask. We could even post a link to the relevant thread there every week.

You can feel free to run a contest here -either with the same rules or diferent ones.

I DID start an Opening Weekend contest at CCnet already - the prize for the closest pick will be an AOTC theatrical poster.

sirdizzy
Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:22:15 AM
why bother i am going to win anyways

CMJ
Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:53:36 AM
We'll see what everybody says I guess. We'll let you guys know Darth23.

Jedieb
Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:56:05 AM
I'm for having the contest again, but HERE. NOthing against CCNET, but it's just one more board I don't have time for.

ReaperFett
Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:23:17 AM
Im fine by posting it at CC.net if we're told here, like D23 said

Mu Satach
Apr 22nd, 2002, 03:54:32 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
I'm for having the contest again, but HERE. NOthing against CCNET, but it's just one more board I don't have time for.

Ain't you cheery. ;)

Well, since I post occationally here and am going to be crunching the numbers for our BO contest this summer I was planning on doing the weekly invite and linkage thread here.

I was just going to ask that people put their guesses at CC that way we can keep all the numbers and who's playing straight and together in one place to make it easier for me. Cause like you Jedieb, I'm freakishly busy and don't have the time to go posting all over the place. I'm currently looking for a second job, trying to freelance write and working on a business plan to start my own company.

And really, I mean what's the big difference?

you click a link, you post your pics, you just browser back a few clicks... hell... I'll even work in a direct link at CC right back here for you guys, but I won't even try to keep track of two separate places. With my schedule I'll kill me.

Admiral Lebron
Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:58:21 PM
I'm interested.

Jedieb
Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:07:44 AM
I didn't mean to sound grumpy Mu...oh who the hell am I kidding, I'm a grumpy old man. I can't help BUT sound grumpy. If there's a thread here and a direct link then I'd probably take part in both. But I just don't have time to post a prediction and then cut and paste it in another thread on another board after searching for the thread in the other board, etc, etc... Like you I'll be uber busy this summer, work, my kids, my senior citizen Tai Chi class... crap, did I just say that out loud....:crack

JonathanLB
Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:56:42 AM
"The general consensus is that since so many CCnetters post over hear regularly, we'dd like to invite you guys to post at CCnet for the contest."

Haha, you guys never unbanned me there... about a year ago you discussed that I thought but it never went anywhere else as far as I know. I mean, if the contest were here I would participate, it being a Star Wars summer and all, but I cannot post on CC.net anyway so that is not going to work for me...

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:18:20 AM
We might have the contest here as well, we shall see Jon, if you want to join in cool, but you will have to wait until we have made a final decision on it.

Darth23
Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:41:55 PM
"Haha, you guys never unbanned me there... about a year ago you discussed that I thought but it never went anywhere else as far as I know. "

I think everyone ended up running into the night, screaming in terror the last time the issue came up. My understanding is that some people were never heard from again. ;)
----

If there's no contest here and jon would like to participate then I guess we'd have to bring up the issue... AGAIN. at CCnet.

Mu Satach
Apr 23rd, 2002, 06:33:09 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
I didn't mean to sound grumpy Mu...oh who the hell am I kidding, I'm a grumpy old man.

You don't look a day over 850... :rollin

JonathanLB
Apr 24th, 2002, 12:41:36 AM
Nice, Darth23. I am sorry that I have that effect over there ;)

Well, I wouldn't be posting much there anyway if I were unbanned, you know that I do not even post that frequently here. A few per day at most but I'm mostly too busy to have time for many forums. In fact, SWFans.net is the only forum I am visiting frequently now (for AOTC mainly now). I use to visit a private Webmaster forum frequently but not so much now, just like twice weekly. They are a helpful bunch, but as Jedieb mentioned, it's just too much to visit so many forums.

lol, I don't know whether I should be flattered or offended that CC.net would still think I could be a "danger" to the board or something :D

JMK
Apr 24th, 2002, 09:02:38 AM
It's nice to be remembered isn't it?

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 24th, 2002, 09:49:17 PM
Okay here is what has been decided, we want to hold a contest here on SWfans.net. Now first off that doesn't mean that nobody can post there predictions on CC.net that is not a problem, (we still need to work out a thread issue) the reason that we want to hold it here is that there are several posters who would like to see it here and I myself would think it be cool to have one here.

As far as the contest itself goes it is simple pick the top 5 films in order that you think they will finish then make a prediction of how much you think each film will make. You then get points for
Being closest to the #1 film of the weekend
Getting the films in correct order (1-5)
Getting the closest on all of the films (1-5)
Also one final thing the winner will win a prize, there maybe be a prize for second and third depending on how many people participate.
Any thoughts?

Mu Satach
Apr 25th, 2002, 07:04:51 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
(we still need to work out a thread issue)

Simple matter...

A - let me spam about ours that starts next weekend

or

B - not

simple enough...

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 25th, 2002, 09:21:02 PM
if you want to post it thats fine, I think there is room for two box office contests :) Hey look at this way the winner gets twice the prizes.

Mu Satach
Apr 26th, 2002, 06:28:55 PM
possibly... but there are 3 different ways to win at CC. :D

BUFFJEDI
Apr 26th, 2002, 10:08:23 PM
I'm so glad there is going to be a box office contest:) Although I'll miss a few weeks of it :( so I'll be a few points behind BUT as Long as I beat Dizzy:p It'll be all good.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 26th, 2002, 10:12:46 PM
If you think you might miss a few weeks you can always post them in advance and I will compute it in with the others for that week.