PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen TPM in Spanish?

Jedieb
Apr 21st, 2002, 08:17:35 PM
I was watching the TPM DVD on my laptop with my son tonight. On a whim I decided to watch a few scenes in Spanish. I watched the Dinner Conversation and the scene in which Qui-Gon meets Jar Jar for the first time. I wanted to see if the vocal performances of different actors would improve the performance of those two characters. I expected that I'd enjoy the Spanish acotr's Jar Jar more than Best and I was right. What really blew me away was how much better I thought Anakin played. Mind you, I'm well aware that this is purely subjective. While I enjoyed those scenes more in Spanish, another fan who knows Spanish might have a completely different reaction. I'm looking forward to sitting down and watching the entire movie in Spanish. I'll miss the occasional word or two because my Spanish is a bit rusty (the translation is NOT a word for word translation, they NEVER are) but I think I'll actually enjoy the Spanish version more than the English.

Has anyone else seen TPM in a different language?

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 21st, 2002, 08:27:08 PM
What other languages are available on the DVD? I thought French was available but I am not sure, I think I might watch part of it, if it is, I am a little curious.

CMJ
Apr 21st, 2002, 08:31:47 PM
I'm sure Dutchy has....I guess we could ask him.

Shawn
Apr 21st, 2002, 08:51:16 PM
Bah! No Japanese! :mad

JMK
Apr 21st, 2002, 09:56:07 PM
I've watched a few scenes in french, and let me tell you it's terrible. French translations are always horrendous, and I swear to you all, the french don't even watch the french editions! Perfect example, yesterday I was at the video store and a couple were browsing for a movie, and the guy picks one up, the girl tears it away from him and puts it back on the shelf and says "Oublie ca, c'est un film Quebecois!" Which means forget it, its a Quebec movie. I thought that was great.

Live Wire
Apr 21st, 2002, 11:49:45 PM
lol! I'll have to take a gander at the spanish version. My spanish is pretty rusty but I usually understand quite a bit.

Jedieb
Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:28:43 AM
I just checked and the U.S. DVD only has English & Spanish. I really like this dub. I've been watching American movies with Spanish dubs and subtitles since I was a kid and this is one of the best jobs I've ever seen and heard.

JediBoricua
Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:57:07 PM
I actually saw the spanish version on the big-screen (it was my third viewing of the film), I am the oldest of six brothers and the young ones don't understand english that well so it's better to go watch the dubbed movies or they will be constantly asking you what happened.

Anyway, I did not enjoy the experience. Like JMK said, translations often are horrible. Spanish speaking people, who know english, prefer watching the original version than watching a dubbed film (the same goes with spanish movies translated to english). More than ofthen the translation means the complete opposite than the original and so forth. The worst thing is with titles, when translating a title they usually change it completely to attract more public, for example Jaws, which in spanish means 'mandibulas', was dubbed as 'tiburon' or shark. Why? Because 'tiburon'sounds a lot better and will make a biggest profitf than 'mandibulas'.

But I do agree with Jedieb, Jar Jar's voice is far less irritable.

Jedieb
Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:03:03 AM
I'm like JediBoricua, I usually don't like Spanish dubs. English isn't my parents primary language, but it is mine. I tend to miss the occasional word or two. I find myself mentally comparing and contrasting the Spanish dialogue with the original English. The TPM dub however was the best Spanish dub experience I've ever had. (Damn, that sounds a bit kinky doesn't it?) I really enjoyed the young boy who did Anakin's voice over. I'm actually getting ahead of myself since I still haven't sat through the whole thing yet. I hope I get the time to do so this weekend.