PDA

View Full Version : Help! =(

Gav Mortis
Apr 21st, 2002, 10:23:19 AM
I come home from work today to find my computer in a complete and utter mess. My settings have been ruined somehow, I am only using 16 colours with a 640 x 480 screen area. Whenever I try changing these settings back to their original it says: "You must restart your computer before the new settings will take effect. Would you like to restart your computer now?" - So naturally I clicked yes, despite never having to do this before with regards to altering my settings. On my advanced settings I have it set so that I don't have to restart when I change my settings, but for some reason my computer keeps asking me to do so.

The thing is regardless of how many times I restart my computer and try to change my settings I am still stuck with the most primitive looking display I've ever laid eyes on. Please help me if you have any suggestions, I have barely any colours and my entire system is messed up because of it.

:cry

Sanis Prent
Apr 21st, 2002, 10:26:38 AM
You may want to see if somehow some drivers or hardware apps got uninstalled along the way...

Other than that, I am also perplexed.

Darth Lynch
Apr 21st, 2002, 10:32:18 AM
Did you install a new program lately or within the last day?

When I had a problem with the color on my comp was due to a program had installed, took it off and it was fine, dont understand it but hey it worked for me.

TheHolo.Net
Apr 21st, 2002, 10:32:58 AM
Sounds like your video card drivers are missing or corrupt. See if you can reinstal them or even the card itself in the Windows device manager - Control Panel - System - Display Adapter

Live Wire
Apr 21st, 2002, 03:12:02 PM
Well everyone pretty much voiced my only ideas.....reinstall the drivers or uninstall anything you installed since it last worked.

If its still not working tomorrow I'll give ya a buzz and see if I can walk ya through some stuff.

Dantooine Pirates
Apr 21st, 2002, 03:17:03 PM
Arg!

You need to restart your computer, then reinstall your drivers, and check for any updates to your OS!

Next make sure that the device is working properly and that someone hasn't changed your settings!

ARG!!!!!!!

Darth Viscera
Apr 21st, 2002, 04:22:04 PM
I concur, your video drivers are likely corrupt. Also go to your device manager and see if there are any other yellow exclamation marks.

Rama
Apr 21st, 2002, 04:55:52 PM
Anyone else been on your comp.

You don't know how many things I had to fix after i let my sister-in-law use my comp. :lol

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 21st, 2002, 05:15:06 PM
If your PC has Windows 98 -

Find a priest and do an exorcism

Miryan no Trunks
Apr 21st, 2002, 06:35:23 PM
Don't listen to Marcus.

I'm running win 98, and I'll tell you right now, before you try, that exorcisms just don't work on it's evil.

It's like trying to dispose of a mountain with a small plastic spoon.

Live Wire
Apr 21st, 2002, 08:37:44 PM
and yet I have 98 on my pc at home and never had any major problems. And have tons of werid stuff loaded on it.

Darth Viscera
Apr 21st, 2002, 09:27:35 PM
Ack, a Win98 apologist! BURN HER! Quickly, before the foul opinions cover us in a layer of DOS-based limited memory management.

EDIT~And LW, why didn't you tell me you were confined to such an OS? I could have easily arranged to ship a newer OS to you as well. Take your pick, I'll send it along with whatever other nifty movie comes my way.

Sanis Prent
Apr 21st, 2002, 09:30:20 PM
I knew she had no taste! Now the ultimate proof!

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 21st, 2002, 10:01:43 PM
How can you possibly defend Win 98 in any way?

Sanis Prent
Apr 21st, 2002, 10:04:29 PM
She also likes N'Sync....oh, and I saw that she has a stuffed cabbot in her car! ITS TRUE!

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 21st, 2002, 10:22:12 PM
WTF is a cabbot?

Live Wire
Apr 21st, 2002, 10:30:18 PM
lol Im nbot defending win 988....we had it at work and it was horrible. Unstable! Just terrible. I was so glad when we went to 2000. Im just saying at home I havent had any problems. Im lucky. Im sure Im the exception rather then the rule. And no thanks I have got games that dont seen to like any other OS so thats why I keep it. Besides I have copies of everything from win 3.1 to XP. If I want to upgrade I will.

Yes I own nsync albums. I listen to backstreet boys to so there! I said it! And the cabbit isnt in my car the picture was from LV's car when we went to the matchbox20 concert ou attacked me with it just as I had put on lipstick.

I dont know what a cabbit is but I thought it was cute and its in my closet!

Darth Viscera
Apr 21st, 2002, 10:33:06 PM
I think it might be a warning that enjoins a person from certain acts or practices.

Judicator Kal Shora
Apr 21st, 2002, 11:39:10 PM
Nothing wrong with Windows 98, N*Sync, or balet,

Rama
Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:51:34 AM
I have Win 98 '_'

and it messes up all the time. ;____;

Live Wire
Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:55:33 AM
*Crosses fingers* Im lucky! My computer likes me.

Miryan no Trunks
Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:53:27 AM
Pff, N'sync, Backstreet Boys, Win 98, all that is evil, agreed.

But you can't insult Cabbits /=| They kick large quantities of ass.

- Evil psychotic tendancies that regularly result in violent death.
- The ability to change into a spaceship whenever their owner wants.
- And dammit, they're cute too.

Master Yoghurt
Apr 23rd, 2002, 06:33:08 AM
Gav, I recommend you update display drivers. :)

Oh, and Win 98 is evil :x

Gav Mortis
Apr 23rd, 2002, 08:05:57 AM
Thanks for all the help you guys. I downloaded some updates from Microsoft and Nvidia and now everything is back to normal, I am so relieved. Thanks again. :)

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play JK2.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 23rd, 2002, 08:35:49 AM
Win98 is pretty crappy unless you want to use a Vortex 2 based soundcard. I'm going to reformat my old HD and dual boot for Thief and Half-Life.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 23rd, 2002, 11:15:22 AM
I had a laptop (an omnibook from HP) that I got in 1997 with Win95 on it.

Hated that thing. I've now upgraded to Win XP and a desktop computer. Its amazing! :D

Live Wire
Apr 23rd, 2002, 11:37:23 AM
yay! glad to hear everythings back to normal Gav!

Win XP's not that bad once you change things around to get rid of its bubbly happy appearance.

Darth Viscera
Apr 23rd, 2002, 02:26:09 PM
Andrew, it took you TWO DAYS to update your drivers? My god man, you are quite set in your ways.

Live Wire
Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:29:24 PM
lol maybe he was hoping it would go away on its own

Gav Mortis
Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:31:16 PM
I was trying to get the drivers from the Driver CD I got with my comp, it didn't occur to me to do it online - besides, I haven't even had the time to think about that lately. I appologise for my abudance of social life. :p

Live Wire
Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:34:54 PM
you have a social life????????? *gasps* BAN HIM!!!!! :p

You cant post here and have a RL! Thats just sick and wrong!!!

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:44:18 PM
Vis, not everyone gives a crap about computers. And after 12 years of full time computer employment, I have come to the conclusion I'm fed up to the back teeth with them as well.

XP is scwheeeeeeet. APART FROM NVIDA's F'ing DRIVERS FOR MY LAPTOP. As that aint MS's fault, I flame Nvida instead. No matter what I have tried, the only stable drivers have been W2K ones.

The XP interface is scwheeeeet too,c ause of the skinning that can be done. My LOTR skin rules :)