PDA

View Full Version : Working on something

Shawn
Apr 20th, 2002, 12:27:55 PM
Master Yoghurt contacted me in regards to the possibility of hosting the GJO on swforums.net.He'd be willing to pay for a fraction of the costs in exchange for hosting on our board. Really, I have no problem with this - In fact, I rather like the idea. But it's not going to be as easy as it may sound. Right now, I'm working on setting things up, simply to see how feasible it is. To this end, I've created a hidden forum.

AFAIK, it can only be accessed via the admin CP, or directly typing in the url: http://www.swforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=55

Please do not share this url with anyone who does not have access here, and please do not mention that we may be hosting the GJO until there is some sort of confirmation on the issue.

I've actually gone ahead and made it a hidden forum, so only admins, mods and users granted permission can access it or even see it. I've made Master Yoghurt a Mod of those forums, and those forums only.

Also, I gave Morgan access, because I need his help with duplicating the GJO's layout.

TheHolo.Net
Apr 20th, 2002, 07:54:19 PM
Roger roger

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Apr 21st, 2002, 11:37:55 AM
no wonder the board was all frelled yesterday :lol

I kept wondering why my cookies stopped working. Good luck to you guys. Hopefully this will work :)

TheHolo.Net
Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:42:34 PM
Update: All Mods and Admins can for now see the GJO forum and the Roleplaying Groups category, but as of yet it cannot be seen or used by the general posting public.

ReaperFett
Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:47:07 PM
As a thing, wouldnt it be better below all the public? If a few boards signed up, you could have to scroll a lot to see the Portal, for example

TheHolo.Net
Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:48:26 PM
The placement isn't final, I'm just trying to tweak how it looks on the main forum listing for right now. But I don't really want to bury them at the bottom of the board either. :\

ReaperFett
Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:55:25 PM
Well, while it's just GJO, it's okay. But if there was 5 or 6 there, you could have a long run

TheHolo.Net
Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:18:19 PM
Well, for now I killed the Roleplaying Groups category and put the forum under Roleplaying to see how it looks and feels. It doesn't make much sense having the seperate category, seeing its just one group for now.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:19:38 PM
I agree. Wonder if anyone else might come on over

TheHolo.Net
Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:22:26 PM
I can say almost for sure that TSE won't even consider it.

Shawn
Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:34:39 PM
Riiiiiiiight.

"Hey, TSE... you guys wouldn't mind me being an admin of your board, right?" :lol

TheHolo.Net
Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:36:00 PM
:lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheHolo.Net
Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:37:59 PM
BTW: I think at least one of GJO's staffers should be allowed in here. Yog is my choice and Fett asked about it earilier.

ReaperFett
Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:47:10 PM
Only one thing though. If we did that, you could get other groups wanting to be here just so they get to look in here

TheHolo.Net
Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:48:10 PM
Well, Yog is more than likely going to be helping Nup monetarily with the bandwidth expenses, so, unless they start forking over cash, no go.

Shawn
Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:52:29 PM
Easier explanation: Tell them that, if they'd like to move their board here, then they can have one person in this forum, as well. :) Catch 22, for them.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:52:38 PM
Yeah no mula no super secret ninja hangout :lol

Yog deserves to be in here because if he has questions about the board in particular relating to the GJO, he needs a voice

TheHolo.Net
Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:55:25 PM
Yeah, and the current Admins will still need to be contacted regarding their staff position appointments (since mods can't edit usergroups) and or changes to their layout.

Shawn
Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:56:07 PM
One thing you might want to make the GJO peeps aware of: If the board is moved here, Ogre and I will both be able to access your locked forums (being admins). Just thought you should know that.

ReaperFett
Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:57:42 PM
MY GOD! You two in GJO? We must prepare the defences!

:)

TheHolo.Net
Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:58:34 PM
:lol

Shawn
Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:23:34 PM
:: shrugs :: Thought it was worth mentioning. We're not in the, uh, admin forum over there. Yeah, that.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:24:35 PM
:lol

here comes the coup =P

TheHolo.Net
Apr 23rd, 2002, 06:48:45 PM
Yog's access to this forum has been granted to his Master Yoghurt name.

TheHolo.Net
Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:32:37 PM
I’ll probably play with Custom User Profile Fields here some later so that we can give GJO mods the ability to set and in their forums only have custom titles displayed. I am almost positive it is possible and not really that difficult. :)

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:57:51 PM
:crack

YAY! Cuz I'll miss my name at GJO :( sniffle.....

TheHolo.Net
Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:23:37 PM
My efforts were a success!! :)

Goes to copy postbit template to all other GJO styles

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:26:24 PM
Ogies is the Green Man! :smokin

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Apr 24th, 2002, 12:09:16 PM
bump

okay, now that I know that there were buggies last night and Lynch and Sums know something is up around here, are we going to say something soon about GJO move? It could get stoopid soon in that GJO thread in OOC which has nothing to do with the move to begin with.

Just Lady Vader

TheHolo.Net
Apr 24th, 2002, 12:13:47 PM
Yeah, I agree that it seems that Lynch and Sums are implying something completely different, but maybe not, in the "On Behalf of the GJO" thread. Who the frell knows. :: shrug ::They don't seem to be making a big deal about it yet.

There really isn't anything we can say about the move until its actually a final approved decision by the ones who actually run the GJO ezboard, which Yog is supposed to discuss with the rest of GJO this weekend.

TheHolo.Net
Apr 24th, 2002, 12:40:14 PM
For those who don’t know the whole story, I’ll explain. This pertains to the hidden forums in creation for the move of GJO to SWFans @ www.swforums.net

The night before last, Lynch IM’d Shawn asking why there was a thread entitled “Yog” in a private forum. We missed a couple details about the hidden forums when they were set up and the active topics display on the portal page was listing threads from those forums as well as from public forums. (I also noticed yesterday that vbStats was displaying those forums in its top threads/forums page, which I rectified)

I’m not entirely sure what Shawn told Lynch, but I do know that the existence of the GJO’s forums here on SWFans was not compromised, or given away yet. After Shawn told me about being IM’d by Lynch I set to work repairing the portal page so that it would not display active topics from the new hidden forums, and found the process a little more difficult than I originally thought it would be (damn syntax), so I removed the active topics section from the portal page for about 20 to 25 minutes while I figured out the correct syntax to exclude multiple private forums.

Within that 20 to 25 minute duration, a good buddy of Lynch’s posted this thread

http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13054

asking what had happened to the active topics section of the portal, which Shawn explained was buggy. Not but a few minutes after his initial response to Sums, I let him know that I had resolved the issue and re-added the section to the portal page, so he edited his post, saying it was fixed.

So I now get the impression that Lynch and Sums are reading into what occurred there as some mass conspiracy plot by Shawn and maybe some others like DT, LV, Sanis, myself. and maybe others in the “On Behalf of the GJO” thread. I could be wrong, but it sure fits with Lynch’s ultra-paranoid personality profile that many have come to loathe.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Apr 24th, 2002, 12:44:49 PM
Well, all I gotta say is yeah, they are implying something else because those that know what that thread is really about... there are no bulliten bugs :lol

Shawn
Apr 24th, 2002, 01:03:12 PM
I’m not entirely sure what Shawn told LynchI told him that someone asked me for help creating a multi-part banner, and I needed somewhere to experiment with it. I then lead him off on a huge tangent about how banners comprised of several smaller images often load faster than one large one. I *think* I threw him sufficiently off-trail.

TheHolo.Net
Apr 24th, 2002, 01:06:54 PM
>D

We shall explain to some extent once we know for sure either way that GJO decides, without telling the posters that forums were being hidden from them, just that Yog was discussing the move with us. :) Least thats my plan of action.

Charley
Apr 24th, 2002, 03:08:25 PM
(hops onto the bandwagon)

If this thing works out, I was wondering if I might be able to move my Cizerack board stuff here as well? It would coincide well with a major renovation that's already due to begin with, and I was hoping that would be cool with yon dudes :)

And as far as monies, I can discuss that with Shawn in California, and pay him whatever there :)

Master Yoghurt
Apr 24th, 2002, 03:45:56 PM
Hi. Just checking in quickly. Working on my term paper right now, but I should be back full time thursday evening. Just thought I should let you know, in case you were wondering why I was so quiet for the last few hours. :)

Will check back in tomorrow!

TheHolo.Net
Apr 24th, 2002, 05:58:21 PM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
(hops onto the bandwagon)

If this thing works out, I was wondering if I might be able to move my Cizerack board stuff here as well? It would coincide well with a major renovation that's already due to begin with, and I was hoping that would be cool with yon dudes :)Would be alright by me, and in your case semi simplified seeing as you are already a global moderator and have access to this forum. :)

TheHolo.Net
Apr 24th, 2002, 06:13:39 PM
Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
Hi. Just checking in quickly. Working on my term paper right now, but I should be back full time thursday evening. Just thought I should let you know, in case you were wondering why I was so quiet for the last few hours. :)

Will check back in tomorrow! Welcome aboard Yog. Glad to see you got my PM and we understand the busy-ness of school work. :)

Shawn
Apr 24th, 2002, 07:51:15 PM
TCP wouldn't be as big a concern, since it doesn't have nearly the amount of traffic as the GJO. :)

Charley
Apr 24th, 2002, 09:00:22 PM
:D

TheHolo.Net
Apr 24th, 2002, 09:01:24 PM
Originally posted by Shawn
TCP wouldn't be as big a concern, since it doesn't have nearly the amount of traffic as the GJO. :) The same thought occured to me but I couldn't bring myself to say it. :p:lol

Charley
Apr 24th, 2002, 11:32:21 PM
HEY!

Its not the size of the bandwidth that matters, its how you use it!

ReaperFett
Apr 25th, 2002, 08:41:54 AM
Thats what people with small boards say :)

Side note, I dont know if that GJO account is anyone here, but if it is, that was a DUMB thing to post. Is someone trying to get TSE constantly paranoid or something?

TheHolo.Net
Apr 25th, 2002, 08:43:12 AM
The GJO account was DT.

ReaperFett
Apr 25th, 2002, 08:49:34 AM
I really hate when people make a big thread of an injoke or similar, but dont tell anyone. ANd that just had perfect timing.

Shawn
Apr 25th, 2002, 08:51:17 AM
It was supposed to be about that whole LV thing - totally unrelated. But *some* people are a wee bit paranoid, and it didn't help matters any.

Master Yoghurt
Apr 25th, 2002, 09:38:05 AM
Ok, mesa back. Finished my term paper :)