PDA

View Full Version : Scorpion King

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 19th, 2002, 10:12:06 PM
Has anybody seen this film? I am curious if it as bad as I think it will be. The trailers look boring to me and don't like the idea of a wrestler trying to carry a movie. I did like some of the critic's quotes saying that this movie makes Arnold look like Laurance Oliver now that is bad.

CMJ
Apr 19th, 2002, 10:23:46 PM
I think it looks like the biggest pile of garbage...and I ENJOYED the "Mummy" movies(which this is a spin off of). I refuse to waste my money on this unless I get some sort of deal or something. I guess I might sneak in to see it on a lazy afternoon.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 19th, 2002, 10:27:57 PM
It does look pretty bad the only decent actor in I think is Clarke (I wonder why did he decide to do this movie), not sure if this is bad news or not but the cowriter of AOTC Hales, co Wrote this movie, of course Hales is working with Lucas for AOTC and somebody like Sommers (who did the Mummy movies) here. But really I think the main problem with this movie will the be the acting which I hear is horrible.

CMJ
Apr 19th, 2002, 10:32:39 PM
Well Michael Clarke Duncan probably finds it hard to find roles. I mean how many roles are there out there for a guy thats like 6'6 and 300 pounds of all muscle. The guy is a giant! I'd love for him to find another gig worthy of his talent(like "Green Mile") but in reality, how many roles like that are out there for him?

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 19th, 2002, 10:37:08 PM
I guess there is one more with him playing the Kingpin, in Daredevil. He is actually pefect looking for that role (except the color of his skin which doesn't bother me) and it is a realy different role for him to playing this highly sophesticated villain.

CMJ
Apr 19th, 2002, 10:39:52 PM
Well yeah, he'll always find work in action films and the like because of his size. I'm just not sure if he'll ever get serious dramatic roles again, because of his stature. I hope he does though...

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 19th, 2002, 10:44:03 PM
He might if the right role comes along, I hope he does too.

sirdizzy
Apr 19th, 2002, 11:36:41 PM
it is bad i wouldn't say horribly bad because the action does save it somewhat

i am not sure wether they were going for a campiness or wether they just mauled the movie

but most of the campiness was lame and forced

i'd call it a very low level popcorn flick that is a borderline bad movie

JonathanLB
Apr 20th, 2002, 12:49:34 AM
It's not that bad. The trailers make this movie look super gay, and of course it is pretty silly to have The Rock as the starring character, it's just a vehicle for one really craptacular actor.

The dialogue sucks, the acting is horrible, but the film is still entertaining overall.

I gave it three stars because it was a fun movie. I enjoyed seeing it, at least, and although it was very forgettable, it's what you'd expect from this type of thing. It had great action, it actually was funny in the appropriate parts, so a lot of the writing was somewhat good because of the humor, that part was great, but the other lines just sucked.

I think it's unfair to give a movie like this a bad rating just because it's not some awesome dramatic film. It was entertaining. It did everything it set out to do, which was to please audiences with action and a bit of humor.

In my review, I spend a lot of it just talking about what is bad about the film, because there is a lot of it, but ultimately I would recommend the film to anyone who just wants to see some butt-kicking and action. That's all it pretends to offer, that's all it has. :)

This is sorta what I thought:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/19/scorpion.king.ap/index.html

That's CNN's review of the film. My review is a bit less optimistic than that, haha, but that guy says what I think for the most part.

JonathanLB
Apr 20th, 2002, 08:43:49 AM
Here is my review:

http://www.jlbmovies.com/ScorpionKing.shtml

Sanis Prent
Apr 20th, 2002, 03:38:57 PM
I wouldn't go see this movie even if I was dying of dysentery and the only cure was to buy a Scorpion King ticket, roll it up, and plug my leaky butthole with it.

Mummy 1 was okay. Campy, cheesy, but on the Indiana Jones kind of scale.

Mummy 2 was lame, and a cash-in.

I expect far worse of this...

JonathanLB
Apr 20th, 2002, 03:44:30 PM
The Mummy was far worse than The Mummy Returns. At least the sequel had something of a plot and far better effects (spare The Scorpion King at the end). It's a good movie, the first Mummy film was trash for a blockbuster. I've hardly ever seen such a disappointing summer film that does so well.

Usually, summer blockbusters that are just about action and entertainment and effects and whatnot are 3 stars at least because it's so easy to make it there, but not The Mummy. Just lame.

Super Wookiee
Apr 20th, 2002, 03:47:21 PM
I loved the Mummy and the Mummy Returns they big loud fun summer movies. If I want to think I'll stay home and rent a DVD.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 20th, 2002, 04:45:49 PM
I have never really liked them, I see them as Indiana Jones rip offs, plus the first Mummy movie couldn't decide what it wanted to be an action adventure film or an horror-monster film. I also don't like how they changed all the historical stuff most of the stuff in the films are extremely historically inaccurate.

JMK
Apr 21st, 2002, 09:37:44 PM
I thought both Mummy movies stank bigtime. I can't take Brendan Fraser seriously after Encino Man and George of the Jungle, so watching these movies, I was expecting him to say gazongas, or turn green. While I think the Rock can be a bankable star, I won't be seeing The Scorpion King in this lifetime.

Champion of the Force
Apr 21st, 2002, 10:11:44 PM
I went and saw The Scorpion King last night. I knew next to nothing about it - I hadn't seen any trailers and I still haven't seen The Mummy Returns yet, about the oly thing I knew about it was that it was related (somehow) the The Mummy movies and that The Rock was in it.

I enjoyed it. Like Jon said its nothing spectacular but you can have good fun with it. It's one of thhose films you just sit back an accept, have fun, then forget about it as soon as you walk out of the theatre. Also it did have some amusing moments in it too which are pretty funny. :)

An added bonus was that it had the Spiderman trailer on before it (which I hadn't seen before now) so that was good too. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 21st, 2002, 10:25:06 PM
Unusual that a moive is released in Australia same time as the USA

darth_mcbain
Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:30:26 AM
I have no desire to see this movie. The reviews that I've seen claim pretty much what you guys are saying - that it is certainly not the greatest movie out there, but it is fun. I just am not a fan of the Rock (or wrestling, for that matter), and I thought the first two Mummy movies were pretty crappy. Especially the second one, which to me just seemed like a money-making venture...

JMK
Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:49:22 AM
That's pretty much it McBain, they were looking to cash in on something that was successful the first time around. The Mummy movies are what they are. Action movies to enjoy (if you can) then forget.

JonathanLB
Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:56:05 PM
It is pretty much a blatant commercial attempt, I mean they didn't make this movie for any other reason but to make some extra $$$, and who can blame them? $60M budget and they'll make $200 million probably, worldwide, I would imagine.

"then forget about it as soon as you walk out of the theatre."

Yup, that's about that, hehe. I enjoyed some of the humor, definitely thought they did a good job on that, and I had fun. I don't mind seeing any movie where I enjoy myself and then walk out and forget about it. That's ok by me, at least it didn't waste my time totally...

But I can see how people would be reluctant to see this movie. There are other good films out, so unless you see a lot of movies it's probably not worth it.

Mu Satach
Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:57:39 PM
I saw it and giggled the whole way through... and for about an hour afterwards. :D

It's pure unfiltered cheese.

If you like the B rate action adventure series like "Beastmaster" on Saturday afternoon TV you'll like it... if you can't stand them, you'll hate it.

From what I can tell it's aimed at the pre-teen, early teen male market. In other words... it's aimed at the pro wrestling fans. ;)

I had fun though. :mneh

Champion of the Force
Apr 22nd, 2002, 11:27:39 PM
It's pure unfiltered cheese.
I'll say.

I especially loved how all the main characters were wielding steel weapons, considering the time period would have placed them in the early bronze period (I noticed that Ebert made the same observation). :lol

Bottom line - leave your brain at the door for this film. :)

JonathanLB
Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:47:27 AM
Well that is just nitpicky! LOL, I didn't even know that, nor would I really care. I mean, it's a fictional film anyway, yes there really was a Scorpion King, true, but probably just about anything else in that film was fictional.

Mu Satach
Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:47:30 PM
Oh yeah... I busted up laughing right off the bat when one of the sword sellars shouted out something like, "made of the finest steel in all of Gomohra!" :D

JonathanLB
Apr 24th, 2002, 07:48:11 PM
Mu, you nerd! lol :) j/k

Champion of the Force
Apr 24th, 2002, 11:04:37 PM
Well that is just nitpicky!
What can I say - I came first in my Ancient History class. :)

JonathanLB
Apr 25th, 2002, 02:43:42 AM
I am guilty of turning my brain off at the door anyways going into a film like that, so even if I did know something was wrong normally, I wouldn't while watching a film like that. I could probably see a car drive across the screen and think nothing of it ;)

Haha, j/k

Mu Satach
Apr 25th, 2002, 07:01:18 PM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
Mu, you nerd! lol :) j/k

that's 100% certified Nerd Girl to you! ;)

Originally posted by JonathanLB
I could probably see a car drive across the screen and think nothing of it ;)

Haha, j/k

That's my que to start cheering for the car to run over someone. :D