PDA

View Full Version : Box offfice contest

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 19th, 2002, 11:28:47 AM
JMK, CMJ, and Reaper I was wondering what you guys think about doing the box office contest that Darth23 did last year? I emailed him yesterday about it to see if he was going to do it here (I know he is hardly at all around but I figured it was worth a shot) he hasn't emailed me back yet but he still could. Even if he doesn't want to do it I would like to see if we could do it, I doubt I could give any prizes like he did (what did he give Reaper you won something last year what did he send you?) but I still think it would loads of fun. I guess I could post a thread and see what the interest is in it first, but I want to wait and see what Darth has to say, if he says nothing by Monday I am then going to post a thread about it anyway (we would have to start if for the weekend of the May 3rd if we did it). So wat do you guys think?

JMK
Apr 19th, 2002, 12:31:54 PM
:huh
I don't remember this contest. It sounds good though. :)

What's the rules?

CMJ
Apr 19th, 2002, 04:47:43 PM
The BO guessing contest has been a staple here for the last 3 summers. ;)

We HAVE to do it!

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 19th, 2002, 09:22:12 PM
I can't remember all the rules exactly I think that if you get the movies in order (or at least as close as possible) you get so many points and the if you get closest to #1, #2 and #3 movie you get so many points for each. If Darth ever emails me back I will find out, otherwise I will hop over to CC.net and see if they are running and find out there, and ask him if we can borrow his rules, we could also try to come up some of our own.

CMJ
Apr 19th, 2002, 09:33:35 PM
Well if I remember correctly there are point totals for .....

Being closest to the #1 film of the weekend
Getting the films in correct order (1-5)
Getting the closest on all of the films (1-5)

There was a winner each weekend for Total Points...and for the #1 film. At the end of the summer the person with the most cumulative points was crowned champ. I think I finished in 6th out of 15 or so last summer.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 19th, 2002, 09:39:02 PM
Yeah I think I just barely beat you and finished 5th, who finished first? I know Reaper did very well. As far as points do you remember how many we got for each one? I guess we could just try to figure out points with out bugging Darth23.

CMJ
Apr 19th, 2002, 09:42:23 PM
I think for each film we got in order was 5 points....(so if you get the top 5 in order it's worth 25).

The closest to #1 got 25....#2 got 20...#3 got 15...#2 got 10...#5 got 5.

I'm "pretty" sure thats how it came out.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 19th, 2002, 09:53:27 PM
Yeah that sounds right, should I bother to wait to see what Darth says? I just don't want him coming here mad that we are doing it. I am sure you didn't notice his little temper tatantrum he had when he became mad that I moved one of his threads and that he couldn't have his avatar. So I don't want to add this to that list. I guess I could wait til Monday and if I don't hear from then he probably doesn't care I would think and I will make an announcement on the box office page to see who is interested.

CMJ
Apr 19th, 2002, 09:55:50 PM
Sounds reasonable enough....from what I've read in this mod/admin forum I doubt he'll ever really come back. It's a shame, but oh well.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 19th, 2002, 09:59:43 PM
He has posted once since and has been lurking on and off so I think he might post now and again but not the way he used to. I think he wanted an excuse to leave so he could concentrate more on CC.net or why else would even bother leaving.

CMJ
Apr 19th, 2002, 10:18:13 PM
Who knows...the guy was cool, but he seemed to have alot of bitterness, at least he did to me. I like the guy though...I hope he does come back some day. He was one of the original posters from way back afterall.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 19th, 2002, 10:21:43 PM
I liked him too he was very knowledgeable about the box office and always had something interesting to say, he might come back nothing would surprise me with him.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 21st, 2002, 09:31:34 PM
Looks like Darth showed himself after we post that message, so what do you think, I have an account over there but still a lot of the regulars here don't we could try to work something outand maybe have one person post all our guesses over there, we can debate over it and see, first lets see how many people want to do it.

CMJ
Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:50:50 AM
I never post over there...I wasn't a big fan of Darth's attitiude about we'd ALL have to make our guesses over there. Oh well..it's still something to think about.

ReaperFett
Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:24:20 AM
His suggestion was fine IMO. He didnt say we cant mention it, did he? We make a reminder every week, we link, we post.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 22nd, 2002, 11:28:51 AM
Yeah but most of the regulars here never post there Jedieb made that point very clear, I know that there others who wouldn't do it in both places, I'd say we have it here as well, and if anybody wants to do it there as well thats fine but its just too much. I did try to work with him but he didn't even want to budge on the subject so why should we post a thread here if he won't work with us. I am sorry he just has bad attitude and I am sick of him he just came over here to get more people posting at CC.net.

ReaperFett
Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:07:02 PM
In one thread a week

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:13:23 PM
Yeah but people might forget plus its giving their site advertising. Realize I tried to compromise but they are being stupid about I think its Darth really. He let us do that way last time but not this time? Plus I think he doesn't like me because I moved that one thread (man I think he is like a child) so we are going to do it here maybe me and CMJ can run it (if you don't want to help me thats fine, but I wanted a second person to help me that way if I won it wouldn't look fixed;) Now Reaper I won't object to you going there that is fine and this whole thread issue I am totally undecided about, should we allow that maybe Shawn or Orge should decide on something like that because to me it looks to me like they are trying to steal our people (at least Darth is).

CMJ
Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:24:19 PM
I'm kinda leaning towards our own competition as well Carr. And if we do it..I will of course help you run it. I'll even think of a prize for the Champion. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:34:53 PM
Ok thats cool, I think that is the way we should go, I'd say we wait till Friday or Saturday and post the rules and then on Sunday post a thread for the first weekend is the deadline I set too late? I put down Saturday at 10 AM EST, I guess we could put it at 9:00 AM EST.

CMJ
Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:37:12 PM
Well...would you like to hear from more ppl before we decide on what to do?

As for deadline time...Saturday's 9AM EST sounds pretty good.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:43:22 PM
Well that is why I said wait till Friday, but right now I think we will have enough unless Darth makes another statement :p I still want to here back from Reaper and JMK on it plus we need to decide if we should let them post a link to CC.net? I guess it will depend on how many want to go there.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 23rd, 2002, 08:43:12 PM
CMJ, Since nobody else wants to respond I guess we need to come to a decision maybe we should tell people the rules and say we will offer prizes (Jedieb has offered a Comm storm trooper of his and I am trying to come up with something) so we will have three prizes last time we had three winners I think so we could do that again, it will all depend on how many people get in it. But back to my point we can then ask how many people are interested and go from there. So what do you think?
As far as Darth's thread idea goes I don't know I guess it will depend on what happens with the contest but I guess we could work something else out and let him do it.

CMJ
Apr 24th, 2002, 09:24:29 AM
Yeah, no one really seems to be responding. Mu was very nice(we traded PM's), she just wanted all the BO followers to hang together. Nonetheless I was leaning towards a contest here...I really wish more ppl would respond. I don't want there to be like 5 people participating.

I have my ideas for prizes as well...so I'm sure we can come up with three easy enough.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 24th, 2002, 10:52:01 AM
So would you like me to make a post explaining the rules and see if there is more interest, or would you like to do it? Also I know there will be more than 5 me, you, Jedieb, probably Reaper and I bet like it or not sir Dizzy (I just know he will do it) Fligrin might do it too, and maybe Marcus, Jon said he probably would, there are a couple others one person said he was interested. I think we need to explain the rules and maybe some others will express interest.

TheHolo.Net
Apr 24th, 2002, 10:56:09 AM
Once rules, prizes and the like are established I think an announcement in the Portal News forum as well as the BO forum would be appropriate. Might draw in some people who frequent other forums or just the portal page that way too. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 24th, 2002, 11:01:49 AM
That would be a cool idea, once we get everything worked out we will do it. Thanks

CMJ
Apr 24th, 2002, 12:02:27 PM
Yeah sounds coolio to me.

TheHolo.Net
Apr 24th, 2002, 12:18:00 PM
Excellent. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 24th, 2002, 09:39:30 PM
Ok here is what we shall do I am making one more post stating what will happen and tell everybody there will be prizes at the same time I will tell everybody that we have no problem with them posting over at CC.net, I will leave the thread issue up in the air, we need to decide about that. Then on the weekend (maybe Saturday givening everybody a week to get there predictions in ) I will put first post a story in the portal news linking it to the first week of the box office contest, and then I guess we go from there.