PDA

View Full Version : WOW! Donnie Darko is just incredible

JonathanLB
Apr 18th, 2002, 05:56:41 AM
I finally got a chance to rent this movie after Blockbuster hasn't had the DVD in for a month because it is constantly rented out. It was a major mistake on their part to get only one DVD (the lady there even told me they only had one, but two copies on VHS and I really wanted the DVD...).

I keep trying out all of these smaller independent films and not all of them suck, like Life As A House had great potential that I felt was unrealized, same with Ghost World, same with The Deep End, and same with The Man Who Wasn't There. All got decent two star ratings, but they were major letdowns. Of all the indie films I saw recently (which excludes Memento), not one makes my top list of 2001.

Until Donnie Darko.

I was instantly mesmerized by the film and how it begins, especially with the awesome conversation at the dinner table. I have rarely ever laughed so hard for so long, and it wasn't even a comedy, it just had a brilliant script. The script is better than for Memento, better than Ghost World's, better than any script I saw in 2001. The movie itself ends up being a real mind-twister, almost like a sensible version of Mulholland Drive (a film I hated) mixed with Memento (a film I absolutely loved). Combine the dark feel of Mulholland Drive's later stages with Memento's wonderful script and music that is some of the most appropriate and well placed I have ever seen and you get one of the best movies of 2001.

Not only do I think Donnie Darko is one of the best films of 2001, I believe it is one of the greatest movies ever made. Top 50 or so definitely for me. I mean, I honestly think it feels like Fight Club in many ways too, with an ending that is just as trippy and the director never once drops the ball. You get the feeling he just might a few times, I mean you just keep hoping nothing bad is going to ruin this perfect film, and he doesn't disappoint at all.

The movie is eerie, not really scary, maybe a bit freaky for sure, unusual definitely, but brilliant. It's a masterpiece. I don't understand how it didn't make more Top Ten critics lists. I believe it was definitely top five. I am moving Memento down one space I believe. I will have to see both films again and analyze them each a bit more carefully because to be honest I'm not sure I totally understand Donnie Darko. I'd like to talk to someone else who has seen it, because it was quite an intellectual film and extremely ambitious. It is understandable, like Memento, not totally dream-like and absurd like Mulholland Drive, but Memento is a bit easier to piece together. You need to see it twice, or you need someone to explain it to you afterwards (that's what my good friend did, because he had seen it twice already so... I didn't really *need* to see it twice, but I should have). Donnie Darko isn't nearly as much "need to see twice" was "have to see twice because, DANG, this movie is good!"

I have to show it to all of my friends now, I cannot let them get off the hook without seeing this film, lol. I know they will love it.

I like this comment from a critic (not because it means something to me but because it's quite a lot of praise): "Puts the comparable American Beauty to shame."

This TWENTY-SIX YEAR OLD writer and director, Richard Kelly, has just created an absolute masterpiece. That is stunning. I have no idea how someone could have such talent at a young age and it is his debut film! As Palpatine would say, "We will be watching your career with great interest!" Yeah, no kidding, this guy is a sane version of Lynch crossed with Fincher and the writing abilities of Christopher Nolan, who sure isn't a bad director with Memento either!

I can't believe I got to see two films like Changing Lanes and Donnie Darko within a one week period, or six days actually. That's awesome, haha. So much mediocrity out there, so hard to find the diamonds in the ruff.

Someone else go rent this film, I don't see how anyone couldn't love it or at least find it very intriguing.

The dialogue is so priceless, lol, I can't even believe how good it is. Many remarkable lines, quotable even, and the music is amazing. The movie is just superior in every respect.

CMJ, did you see this? You've seen basically every film from 2001 (of note, anyway), if you've not seen this, you have to see it and then get back to me so you can say what you thought.

I'll post an actual, well-written review tomorrow on my site (this was just a giant rant with many cliches about how good this movie is and how much you are going to miss if you don't see it!).

Oh, I guess Memento is technically a 2000 movie according to the IMDb, but... that's not accurate as far as I am concerned. It was up for 2001 Academy Awards, so it's a 2001 movie. At least, for U.S. audiences... So it is valid on my list, hehe.

Amazon needs someone to fix some of their dates, too, a few of them are off, actually the same with the IMDb. Young Master is 1980, not 1978. But that's way off subject. Same with another HK action film the IMDb botched. I guess just nobody pays attention to those movies.

CMJ
Apr 18th, 2002, 08:32:13 AM
Nah, I didn't catch "Darko"...I'll try and get to it so I can give you my opinions. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much...nothing quite like finding a film that speaks to you.

foxdvd
Apr 18th, 2002, 10:28:20 AM
I got the dvd when it came out because I heard good things about it. It is a great movie. I would not put it as high as you Jon, but still worth checking out. I would give it an A-

Shawn
Apr 18th, 2002, 11:04:27 AM
An interesting (but not necessarily "great") indy film is "How to Kill Your Neighbors Dog". It's sort of a comedy, but not one that strives to make you laugh every few minutes. It's not a movie I'd go out of my way to reccomend, but if someone asked me what I thought about it, I'd certainly tell them that I liked it.

Dutchy
Apr 18th, 2002, 04:02:48 PM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
I was instantly mesmerized by the film and how it begins, especially with the awesome conversation at the dinner table.

Yes! I loved that scene too. Hilarious dialogue.

To me though, the movie could not keep that level. It had more odd stuff going on than I needed. Especially after the very promising start it was kind of a let down. At all means a good movie though. Definitely worth watching.

foxdvd
Apr 18th, 2002, 04:15:44 PM
To me though, the movie could not keep that level.

My wife said the same thing after Darko. She ultimately was disappointed by the movie. I do not think the movie fell after the opening, but it never really peaked at any point either. It kept a steady pace throughout, never really faltering at all.

JonathanLB
Apr 18th, 2002, 07:26:47 PM
The dialogue was never so funny as at the start, but in my opinion the movie improved as it went on because you started to learn more about what was happening and it builds up until the final October 30 date, well... you know what I mean. No need to spoil it, lol.

I also thought the Smurfs dialogue was rather hilarious and the part where Darko confronts the motivational speaker...

Dutchy, I am renting that movie tonight that I think you really liked... Amores Perros or something? I don't know, but whatever it is called. I just hope they have a copy left. They only got a couple of copies in, but hopefully nobody knows what it is. It says it is the best reviewed film of 2001, so I definitely want to check it out.

Well, yeah Fox, I don't think everyone would like it as much as I do, but I imagine that most people would really enjoy Donnie Darko. I can't see anyone HATING it exactly, unless they found the ending super frustrating perhaps, but I thought it was awesome. I liked LOTR and A.I. better from 2001, but I think Darko has a better script than both of them.

I'll try to rent Domestic Disturbance tonight if they have it finally (late shipment), but I don't have too high of hopes, hehe.

I'm going to start using NetFlix very soon now, before May. I don't think I can afford not to use it. It just costs too much money to rent movies at stores. They are totally unreasonable and greedy. There needs to be some type of an advantage for frequent renters, like if I rent 10 movies in a month then all others should be half off, or just some type of motivation. Otherwise, if you rent as many movies as I do, you spend $75 to $100 in a single month and that's a lot of money. Not to mention I'll be renting movies that I've already seen and don't want to see again just so that I can review their DVDs. That's why NetFlix would be a much better solution. It would essentially not cost me any extra money to do that because if I were using the service for movies I really wanted to see, then I just happened to have them send me new DVDs too, it cuts expenses by far. Plus time is not that much of an issue. As long as I had the DVDs reviewed within a week of release...

NetFlix seems pretty cool.

Shawn
Apr 18th, 2002, 08:18:17 PM
There needs to be some type of an advantage for frequent rentersBlockbuster has their Rewards program: Every time in one month you rent 5 movies, the 6th one is free. Monday - Wednesday, you rent a movie, you get a Favorites Rental (anything that's not on the wall) free. Plus, you get 12 coupons for a Free Favorites rental.

Netflix looks sort of shady to me, for some reason.

JonathanLB
Apr 18th, 2002, 11:17:33 PM
Shady?! They are one of the most successful online companies in existence. In customer service, they are second only to Amazon.com. They have 500,000 customers. They are one of the biggest success stories so far on the Internet. They are not at all shady. If you could explain a reason why you think that, ok fine, but everything about them I have read says what a wonderful company they are.

11,500 titles too. I doubt 1/2 million customers could be wrong.

Blockbuster doesn't give you much at all. That favorites nonsense, whatever, I don't know what that's supposed to mean but I never get anything free with that. Also, getting one free rental per month is pretty stupid. It should be like every 3 films you rent you get 1 free, or every 2 you rent you get one free, but something like that. $2.99 per movie is a lot of money, especially when they give you the new ones for just 2 days.

Also, $2.99 for OLD DVDs is absurd. It should be $1.50 for anything that is not a new release, DVD or not.

I cannot afford to rent from a place like Blockbuster with as many movies as I see. At a rate of 60 films per month, which is easily what I rent right now, and almost all of them are on DVD, then I end up paying $175 or something for a month (because I get that one free, lol). I think normally it would only be like $75 to $100 if I were in college and couldn't see as many films, but I know that I will rent at least 25 movies per month. I'll rent every new DVD to review the actual extras and bonus materials, then I'll rent a fair number of movies that will help me reach my goal of 7-10 films per week during the school year (now, the goal is 20).

Dutchy
Apr 20th, 2002, 09:16:19 AM
Dutchy, I am renting that movie tonight that I think you really liked... Amores Perros or something? I don't know, but whatever it is called. I just hope they have a copy left. They only got a couple of copies in, but hopefully nobody knows what it is. It says it is the best reviewed film of 2001, so I definitely want to check it out.

So, did you manage to get a hold of it?

JonathanLB
Apr 20th, 2002, 03:03:58 PM
I actually got it! I'm happy about that because it's so hard to get some of these movies. They get only a few copies, but of this particular film I believe they have 2 or 3 copies, it seems like anyway. At least two...

I'll be seeing it today. I am looking forward to it, hope it is good.

Dutchy
Apr 20th, 2002, 06:08:46 PM
I actually got it! I'm happy about that because it's so hard to get some of these movies. They get only a few copies, but of this particular film I believe they have 2 or 3 copies, it seems like anyway. At least two...

I'll be seeing it today. I am looking forward to it, hope it is good.

Great, looking forward to reading your reaction to it.

JonathanLB
Apr 20th, 2002, 07:29:49 PM
I am sorry, but that was without a doubt one of the worst films I have ever seen. I mean, Gosford Park and In the Bedroom were pretty darn stupid and boring, but this was honestly way worse. At least I could nod off during those two films because I could still hear the dialogue, but in this I actually had to pay attention to every excruciating moment.

The film is about absolutely nothing! It has NO purpose at all. More happens in 2.5 hours of my life than on the screen in that film! LOL

Man, it tried to be Pulp Fiction for 2000, but it fails miserably. The dialogue is not witty and not inventive or funny like in Pulp Fiction (though a few lines at the very end of the film are good) and the music isn't even close to the quality of Pulp Fiction. The actors are nowhere near as acclaimed, the running time is about 2.5 hours too long, I honestly don't see how anyone at all could like that movie.

I suppose I see how someone could like Gosford Park, if they were really interested in the relationship between the servants and the wealthy people or whatever. Then I can see them being interested in that aspect of it (though it was so boring). For In the Bedroom, well, I guess if you had lost a child through murder then perhaps you would like it. lol. But Amores Perros?! Jeez...

I think you were just jerking my chain to get me to see that movie, lol. I cannot think of one redeeming quality of the entire film to be honest.

Dutchy
Apr 21st, 2002, 12:20:15 PM
Unbelievable, the best movie of this century and Jonathan hates it. Well, not that unbelievable really, coz this movie is about human emotions.

Couldn't you even appreciate the brilliant interweavement of the 3 story lines?

JonathanLB
Apr 21st, 2002, 04:11:44 PM
Best film of the century? It wasn't even close to that! It was the worst movie of the century so far. Absolute worst.

The interweaving was terrible. The three storylines had nothing to do with each other whatsoever, but they did all collide with one event, that was it. It was one of the most poorly done films I have ever seen.

I have my full review and will post it later tonight. I'm sorry, but that film just sucked hardcore.

Dutchy
Apr 21st, 2002, 04:56:45 PM
Yup, best film I've seen the past 2 years.

The interweaving was brilliant, especially since the three storylines had nothing to do with each other.

Curious about your full review.

BTW, how come every movie you hate is your new worst movie ever made?

JonathanLB
Apr 21st, 2002, 05:07:26 PM
But it has happened several times because The Sweetest Thing was without question worse than Crossroads and Riding in Cars With Boys (well, actually that is tough to say), but I would definitely say Amores Perros is worse than any film I saw in the last few years.

In the Bedroom did have redeeming values, and Mulholland Drive definitely had a few good things, like the cinematography and musical score, both good.

Perros is the new worst film of the last several years, though. It would make my top 10 worst.

Gurney Devries
Apr 25th, 2002, 06:37:45 AM
I'm not going to even get into how you're preconceptions that BB "owes" you something are outright silly. In fact, you have it much better off than the customers in my district do. But I digress...

I just got the chance to watch Donnie Darko. Interesting film, to say the least. Frank was quite the interesting character. Overall, though, I have to disagree with everyone else on the dialogue for the movie. I thought it mostly sounded forced and totally unrealistic.

"Hey man, you're like a celebrity now. You need to smoke a cigarette."

WTF? Maybe it's just my view, having somewhat-recent experience in High School, but I felt that was totally absurd. There were quite a few times where I was left going "Nobody in real life would ever say that!"

However, this really was a rather minor gripe. In fact, it kind of seemed that Donnie was going to a sort of "Special Ed" school, so I just assumed that people behaved and talked differently there, and went with it.

I'll certainly say that the plot was quite original. The airplane engine at the beginning had me going "wtf" for a while. I think the writer took some definite influences from Lewis Carroll.

Overall, I did enjoy the film, and I plan on watching it again to clear up a couple of continuity questions.

JonathanLB
Apr 29th, 2002, 07:02:47 PM
First, BB is not an abbreviation for Blockbuster, or not one that is immediately evident, so you may as well take the time to write it out.

Second, it's not that they "owe" me something, it's that they would do even better business if they had special deals for people who are very frequent renters. I mean, what do you work for Blockbuster? There is no reason to defend them when all I am saying is the OBVIOUS: better deals would be nice for people who give them a huge load of business. I rent more than 40 movies per month there, you'd think that would get you some type of extra discount or a few extra rentals beyond the next guy who rents 5 per month or whatever. It would at least encourage people to stick with them. I hear that Hollywood Video is far better, but I don't want to go that far each time. It's not too far, but it's a bit out of the way.

CMJ
Nov 25th, 2002, 07:38:21 PM
Talk about finally getting around to seeing a movie. Well I just finished this one, and I'm trying to wrap my brain around it. It's gonna take me a day or two before I have any final thoughts.

This reminds me of some flicks I saw in college. Really interesting, and I admire it a great deal. I'm not sure I liked it though.

Perhaps I'll write more tommorrow.

imported_Terran Starek
Nov 25th, 2002, 07:57:11 PM
Donnie Darko was very excellent!! The ending was crazy, and I had to do something to understand it (I am not gonna say anything so as not to spoil it for anyone! :D )

If you are having trouble understanding the ending talk to me and I can tell you how to clear it up. It's right under everyone's nose, you just have to know where to find it. A friend of mine helped me, or I never would have thought of it.

Great movie! A.

Gurney Devries
Nov 25th, 2002, 08:04:51 PM
Didn't catch Jon's reply earlier.
I mean, what do you work for Blockbuster?
In fact, you have it much better off than the customers in my district do.When I wrote that post, yes I did work for them. I harbor no love for Blockbuster. And yes, "BB" is a suitable abbreviate for "Blockbuster" when that's what we're discussing.
Second, it's not that they "owe" me something, it's that they would do even better business if they had special deals for people who are very frequent renters.That's what the Rewards program is. In all the time I worked there, there were maybe 2 people who rented anywhere near as many movies as you say you rent. Plus, if you rent that often, then your Rewards program should have gotten "upgraded" to the Rewards Gold (the only difference is that you get the Rent 1, get 1 free deal every day except Friday and Saturday).

It's really not worthwhile for Blockbuster to invent some new kind of rental program for the extreme minority that you represent. You do realize that 40 movies a month is well more than 1 a day, correct? 99% of the population doesn't have the kind of free time it takes to watch that many movies.

From the way you speak, it sounds like you don't have a Rewards account. So complaining about not getting any freebies or discounts when they're right there for the taking is just plain silly. If you really rent as much as you claim, you could be getting up to 18 free rentals a week. Plus, BB often has special deals for Rewards customers.

Not like I care. You can waste your money any way you want. I just think it's preposterous to bash the company because you can't figure out how to take advantage of their offers.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 25th, 2002, 09:08:27 PM
I worked for BBuster for a month, and although they treat their employees BADLY they are a better company and their rewards program seems better to me than Hollywood. I can't stand the way the Hollywood Video's I've been to always seems to be a mess. It reminds me of Ross, the clothing chain, and I won't shop there either.

My 2 cents: Sign up for Rewards, as you don't want to drive so far as Hollywood Vid. every time, you might as well be getting 18 free rentals a month. :eek Holy moly, I think my eyes would fall out of my head if I watched that much TV. :D

JonathanLB
Nov 26th, 2002, 12:20:53 PM
This is really old so I feel odd responding to it, but...

Yes we are Rewards members, and by we I mean my family, although I'd like to get my own account here eventually because I'm a bit sick of having the occassional late fees my sister racks up and having to pay them for her.

We are gold members, just recently got that notification in the mail, maybe about 6 weeks ago.

I mainly use Netflix now, I'm about to upgrade to the ultimate account: 8 movies out at one time. It ends up not being all that much, IMO, because there are always a few movies in transit. It's good, though. I'd prefer 12 at a time for summer and winter breaks, but I'll use both Blockbuster and Netflix.

Soon I won't be paying for many theatrical releases (press pass), so that'll help cut down costs. I figure maybe sometime in the future, a few years from now, I could arrange a partnership with Netflix where I'd give them more prominent space on my site (when my site actually has great traffic) in exchange for free membership at their maximum level. That way I'd be getting all of my movie viewing entirely free.