PDA

View Full Version : AOTC Soundtrack review [minor spoilers]

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 16th, 2002, 06:27:32 PM
Your hereby warned I might put a spoiler in or two in this discussion, so if you dont want to see that, then I'll give my score first.

8/10 - Better than TPM, loses out on lack of originality

Now read on if you have heard it or are interested.

Joh Williams is yet again the composer for what is now the fifth soundtrack to a Star Wars movie. The review was done using 192 Kps MP3 encoded files on a Dell Inspiron 8100 with Sony headphones. Amibent noises were reduced to a minimum to give the reviewer maximum concentration on the music itself.

So, what have we got?

The soundtrack comprises of 14 tracks of various styles. One of the things that you do notice on first viewing is that there is not much new. If you are familiar with John William's music and Star Wars in particular, then you have heard it all before - but there is one exception I make note of at the end. Common themes we have heard, like the Imperial March and the Tattoine theme from ANH reappear and are worked in, sometimes quite cleverly and disguised, sometimes, like as in Track 13, blatantly. At these times, you knwo you are listening to a Star Wars soundtrack and the images of past moives are drawn up.

Thence, score 3/10 for being original. Cause, it's not.

Putting that aside, lack of originality is not a bad critique. One of the failings of the TPM soundtrack was that it simply didnt really link in well to the rest of the sounds Williams has created. This time, has he ever. Most tracks have some form of link to the past and everytime you realise that, it enokes warm feelings of fondness and memories. What really annoys the hell out of me tho is that any "chase" music sounds so damn formulaic and so done before. There are some really good touches (Guitar solo!) but on the whole, the chase and DRAMATIC MOMENT music is not good - it has a 30's feel to it, it's all been done before, move on please. I will however have to say the music improves twards the end and Track 13 is masterful. Look out a 4:16 on this track for a true blood chill. Tracks 10, 11, 12 are also very good, especially when they contain elements of ANH, ESB and ROTC... plus track 2

On a whole, 7/10

NOW..... Notice I have not mentioned Across The Stars, track 2. I deliberatly have done that because I want to bring this track out seperatly. This is the "love" theme and the basic 'tone' of this track permiates through the soundtrack. At any point the tone appears, the soundtrack reaches another level. Quite simply, Accross The Stars is a new and memorable musical grab, which I rank up with The Imperial March. This is a pure Star Wars type track, sad, moody and image inspiring that is just brilliant. This is without a doubt one of the finest tracks you will hear and in the context of AOTC, one the most important.

On the weight of Across The Stars, the soundtrack rises above it's flaws. You may not agree with me as the Imperial March or Duel of The Fates seems more impressive - it's not. Across The Stars carries the soundtrack. It has power and a depth and real, raw emotion.

In total, 8/10. Well worth listening to, especially to Across The Stars. That in itself is a 9.5 / 10.

JMK
Apr 16th, 2002, 07:22:40 PM
Good review, although from what I gather, you make it sound very generic and done before. I don't know how I feel about that, on one hand, I think it is necessary to start tying the music to the OT's scores, but everytime I hear a John Williams soundtrack nowadays, I can't help but be less than impressed because everything just sounds, as you said, done before. I'm anxious to hear it, but right now I have my reservations. I hope that the familiarity of it all conjures the images and memories of the OT for me. Then I'll be satisfied.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 16th, 2002, 07:48:56 PM
I hope that the familiarity of it all conjures the images and memories of the OT for me. Then I'll be satisfied.

You will be, especially in later tracks. Most of the sound track, even if themes are new, is recognisable as Star Wars. The addition of Across The Stars is very welcome however, it's worked in really well and is more in the style of Luke's theme - majestic and sweeping, emotional.

Now there is no denying there's not much original, but that's not a bad thing in the main. Except in parts fo the soundtrack made to go with chases for dramatic moments not using Across the Stars or OT music. They suck hard to a main. Fortunantly ATS makes up for it.

Charley
Apr 16th, 2002, 07:50:31 PM
Overall: 9/10

Its not massively original, true...yet I feel that this soundtrack takes a new theme which is patently Star Wars, and manages to tie in every memorable theme from other SW movies, in a much more beautiful method than was done in TPM. To be sure, this is a powerful soundtrack, with only the Empire Strikes Back holding any comparison. While there is previous music from other SW movies, flourishes are done within those pieces to give them separate identities. The Imperial March redux is an astounding, grand, brazen, and gladiatorial-sounding piece, less akin to its relentless, brooding counterpart in ESB and more full of suprised horror, and grandiose evil. Duel of the Fates is brief, yet full of even more intense power than its original, coming off a powerful crescendo from the Tatooine theme. Other themes, such as Anakin's theme, and the Trade Federation March (which is EXCELLENT, although brief) manage to tie lots of loose ends together.

Now, Across the Stars...what can I say? Its a kaliedoscope of emotion. Love, sadness, bittersweet loss, sweeping drama, innocence lost even....you could analyze this piece in a thousand different ways. The somber clarinet intros are soft and set a mood for the sweeping, yet weeping sounds of a violin rise. It seems more a theme from "Lawerence of Arabia" than something in Star Wars, but you can also hear that familiar tie into the great space opera, in the way the sweeping emotion collects for another more dramatic wave. It carries as much emotion with it as the Tattooine theme of A New Hope, or the Carbonite Chamber scene in Empire. Truly a musical triumph

JMK
Apr 16th, 2002, 08:25:47 PM
Wow. So the soundtrack is released next week? I'm not sure if I'm going to buy it though, especially since we know that there will be a 2-disc set later on...

JMK
Apr 27th, 2002, 11:33:13 AM
Predictably, I bought this edition of the soundtrack despite the fact that the real version will come out in time. I think its a good soundtrack, not Empire because, as said, we've heard it before. Mostly standard fare. BUT Across the Stars is awesome, it gets better with each listen, and the last 2 tracks are unbelievable, they really encompass everything musically that is Star Wars.
Score:http://www.swforums.net/forum/images/4stars.gif /http://www.swforums.net/forum/images/5stars.gif

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 28th, 2002, 03:37:17 AM
Across the stars is masterful. It really is. It's a great piece of music in it's own right

Master Yoghurt
Apr 28th, 2002, 04:07:06 AM
It is not very original, but the overall production is masterful. I think it is a delight all the way through. A pure classic. Furthermore, I think they will set the mood for the movie perfectly. When I hear it, I get an Empire Strikes Back deja vu experience. I like it a lot

The title track is awesome.

And I agree with JMK about the last two tracks. They are out of this world, literary.

Score: 9/10