PDA

View Full Version : Potential AFI Job

CMJ
Apr 12th, 2002, 06:37:10 PM
Hey everybody...I have an interview on Monday for a job on an AFI student film. The American Film Institute is famous for it's "lists" but it's really a film school dedicated to finding young filmmakers(as well as preserving older films).

The program is a like a doctorate level thing. Several directors(and other film ppl) have gone through that program. Anyways, if I get the job I'll be working on this student's thesis project. Hopefully I'll get lucky and maybe ride the coattails of the Director/Producer to bigger and better things. One can hope anyways. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 12th, 2002, 07:24:49 PM
good luck CMJ I hope you get it.

CMJ
Apr 12th, 2002, 07:44:45 PM
Thanks Carr, me too. :) It'd be great experience if nothing else. I'm nervously anticipating Monday now.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 12th, 2002, 07:55:38 PM
It sounds kind of like stuff I would have to do wehn I go on to get my PHD, basically I run around helping some professor out being their assistant teaching classes doing research, except of course you get to work with somebody that might become famous. :)

CMJ
Apr 12th, 2002, 07:58:31 PM
Yeah sounda about right. I'm also trying to get a screenplay ready for a competition at the beginning of May...so I'm kinda under the gun with that as well. I hope I have enough time to get it refined enough for submission. If I could advance past the first round I would be ecstatic. Oh well...the next few weeks will be fun if nothing else.

JMK
Apr 12th, 2002, 10:31:22 PM
I wish you all the best in this CMJ! It certainly sounds promising!

Jedieb
Apr 13th, 2002, 07:01:22 PM
MTFBWY!!!!!!!!!!!

BUFFJEDI
Apr 13th, 2002, 07:20:43 PM
Good luck wild man:) I hope all goes well.

But remember Us poor out of work actor's(me) when you get some pull:D

JonathanLB
Apr 13th, 2002, 08:15:50 PM
Well I hope you get it then, CMJ.

I am thinking of going to AFI's film school after college. It's like a 13-month intensive study if I remember correctly. I am not sure how hard it is to get in, but I was under the impression it's not that difficult it just costs money ($18,000) and you have to apply early and whatnot. I don't know, though, I really haven't looked into it that much.

I suppose if I don't go there, I'd probably go to a graduate school for film, but that would kind of suck. I don't want to spend more time in a college, it's bad enough going there for 5 years (and it will be about 5 when I finish, which is horrible).

CMJ
Apr 13th, 2002, 09:25:59 PM
I don't know Jon...maybe it's just the title AFI, but I've always been under the impression it was quite prestigious. The University I graduated from(University of North Texas) had a great undergard Film Department(best in the southwest region I heard...best graduate level was at the University of Texas), but we never hired people outside of the school to work on our films. So from that respect straight off I was intrigued. Hiring "outside" peple is more like what is done in a masters program and/or a doctorate program.

Anyways...I'm still excited and nervous. I hope I don't throw up or anything. ;)

JonathanLB
Apr 14th, 2002, 12:46:32 AM
No I didn't mean it was easy to work on films from people there, but I don't think it's that difficult to attend the school itself. It's just expensive. It's not like a super selective college I don't believe, it's just an institution that, for a lot of money, trains you in film production.

There are a few other similar schools like I think the New York Film Academy which is also in Los Angeles as well as NYC.

I think that Chapman University's graduate film program is TOTALLY going to rock once they finish their new backlot. They are building an entire studio backlot with a Western, European, and modern area of the lot and it'll have its own water tower and everything. I read about it in the LA Times when I was still down there and it sounds great.

I was accepted to Chapman with a $14,000 annual scholarship (half of the tuition), but I didn't care for the school from what I heard. The "you must live on campus until you are 21" rule was enough to make me say NO. I would never live on campus even for a day.

CMJ
Apr 15th, 2002, 02:53:18 PM
Well the AFI school is a quaint little school. Very small, but pretty nonetheless...it has alot of character IMHO.

I'm hired I guess...not much of an interview process. I think they're gonna have me help the Art Department(not my 1st choice, but thats cool). It kinda reminded me of the Undergrad advanced film class I took, though different of course(in some ways way more organized and in some way less). The guy I spoke with was nice enough, if anything it's a good way to make contacts I think. :) I'll let yall know more when they call back Wednesday.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 15th, 2002, 05:37:05 PM
Cool, that job does sound neat. And its a start as you said, the hard part is always getting your foot in the door.

CMJ
Apr 15th, 2002, 08:20:06 PM
Yeah...this is only my 2nd gig since I've moved here(and I've been here like 4 and a half months now). Granted I worked on my first one off and on for over 2 months, but still..things are pretty slow in Hollywoodland right now. Especially for people with little experience..... Just something more to put on the ole' resume. :)

JonathanLB
Apr 16th, 2002, 01:50:49 AM
Yeah, that is good... but I wouldn't want to do art department stuff. Ugg...

That was like the class I took, super miserable, drafting, sketching, all that nonsense. They can keep that job. I'd rather flip burgers at McDonalds. At least it's easy.

It's good to get experience on a set, though, but I wouldn't ever do art department roles no matter what. I'd do any other really menial labor that required no skill at all to be on a set and learn more, but not art direction stuff. I just frickin' hated that class.

CMJ
Apr 16th, 2002, 08:15:24 AM
Actually Jon...the Art Department builds the set...it's just the Art Designer who sketches and stuff. ;)

JonathanLB
Apr 16th, 2002, 05:40:44 PM
I took an entire course on that, so no, I don't need to be corrected about something I just spent hundreds of hours doing.

There is no such position as "art designer" either, I have never heard that mentioned.

In our class, which was on Art Direction overall, we studied everything from drafting and onceptual art to props and set decoration to set construction. ALL of that falls under the heading of art department roles. If you are told you are going to be working on the art department for a movie, you could end up doing any one of those things. It's not like I learned that from a few hacks who have never done anything. The lady who taught our class was a prominent Hollywood professional who has worked on many major movie sets.

Anyway, it's the conceptual artist who sketches, not the Art Designer. There is no such role, or nobody uses that title anyway. Conceptual Artist, Storyboard Artist, etc. I'm not into those roles. I cannot draw worth beans and I have no patience for it either, lol.

Building flats is pretty fricking boring too, that kind of job doesn't exactly help you learn much, but maybe painting the flats or something could be more fun. Depending. :)

CMJ
Apr 16th, 2002, 05:51:11 PM
I suppose I mispoke, the Art Designer is the Art Director..the one that actually gets credit in the film. I've seen it refered as both, but you're correct, technically it's the Art Director. I suppose on a major film, you're gonna have that individual oversee individuals who disign as well as other stuff(like you mentioned)...but on most smaller things it's the Art Director...and then his/her crew that builds. Hell a TV show I worked on had the Art Director practically design, build, and paint all of his own stuff! Everyone actually helped out with the painting on big stuff(like flats as you mentioned) including the producers. :)

I never claimed I was gonna "learn" alot from the experience per se Jonathan. I'm more interested in making contacts and building the resume. I don't claim to know alot about everything yet, but I can get by....what's important is to make connections, because quite often someone who works with you on one gig, can help you find your next one.

Jedieb
Apr 16th, 2002, 08:42:16 PM
Congrats CMJ! I think I've got an extra box of crayons in my classroom if you need any supplies for your first day of work. :D

CMJ
Apr 16th, 2002, 08:44:52 PM
LMAO Jedieb..I'll let ya know! ;)

Mu Satach
Apr 19th, 2002, 02:03:30 PM
Congrats CMJ! :)

*raises glass in a toast*

Here's to you and your future success. :)