PDA

View Full Version : RPing Newspaper...

Phantom
Apr 11th, 2002, 04:50:56 PM
What about making a " Newspaper " for here, it would cover everything from Promotions to Personal Battles to Planet Take Overs. It could have " Interviews " with different people and what not. So everyone could keep up to date with things that are happening yet to have to read a 20 page Thread and if they want to jump in it could have the URL to that thread. Just a thought.

Charley
Apr 11th, 2002, 04:59:49 PM
There will be something akin to this set up in the future.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 11th, 2002, 05:01:30 PM
:D I think its a great idea.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 11th, 2002, 05:03:40 PM
Very, very cool idea.

Gav Mortis
Apr 11th, 2002, 05:09:14 PM
I'm not saying anything except I'm totally, 100% behind this suggestion, it's excellent.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 11th, 2002, 05:10:26 PM
..remember, no more comments now, Gav. :D

Damon Strand
Apr 11th, 2002, 05:11:18 PM
This is great idea especially if done with tongue in cheek! Reminds me of what Holonet is doing.

Gav Mortis
Apr 11th, 2002, 05:13:20 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
..remember, no more comments now, Gav. :D

Now listen you...that's enough! Go to your box room! >D

You're only afraid I'll start talking about Lil' Titanic! :D

Back on topic, if this idea goes ahead, can I pleeeeeaaaase be involved? I love that sort of thing! :)

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 11th, 2002, 05:15:07 PM
This just HAS to go ahead! It's too cool not to!

Gav Mortis
Apr 11th, 2002, 05:18:32 PM
I can't believe it hasn't been thought of earlier, I mean it's the perfect solution to keeping up with everything going on here. This way, all members of the community will now be able to feel like we are roleplaying in the same fictional galaxy and it will make roleplaying with other characters more accessable.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 11th, 2002, 05:21:56 PM
In other news: the Lil' Titanic sinks! Into what, you ask? I'm not telling. :angel

I can see the headlines now: Mysterious Deaths on Top of the Imperial Bank Building in Coruscant! Shadowy Figures With Lightsabers Spotted, turn to page three for details!

Gav Mortis
Apr 11th, 2002, 05:26:25 PM
Lil' Titanic? Nah, it's more "Edelweiss"

If you've seen "The Sound of Music" - think about it. :lol

Charley
Apr 11th, 2002, 05:50:37 PM
It has been thought of earlier.

Approximately 10 months earlier. By me.

Just hasn't progressed far enough into Sanis's RP for it to be done.

ReaperFett
Apr 11th, 2002, 06:01:02 PM
I can't believe it hasn't been thought of earlier
The big thread about how to improve this place brought up similar. But it wasnt Newspaper, more just a weekly overview IIRC

Alpha
Apr 11th, 2002, 06:07:12 PM
I like! :D

TheHolo.Net
Apr 11th, 2002, 06:09:00 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett

The big thread about how to improve this place brought up similar. But it wasnt Newspaper, more just a weekly overview IIRC Indeed it was and was done one time via a posting in the Portal News forum.

http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11465

ReaperFett
Apr 11th, 2002, 06:35:55 PM
I always said I would post in Portal. When I finish something :)

Verse Dawnstrider
Apr 11th, 2002, 07:12:42 PM
Sweet idea. I say lets make this go. This will also help in people that take a week or so off. Liek when I am in Boot Camp. I can read all the Letters sent to me instead of taking a week to look at it all.

Sophia Harten
Apr 11th, 2002, 07:21:54 PM
Very cool idea! I want a piece of this action! :D

TheHolo.Net
Apr 11th, 2002, 08:36:24 PM
The biggest problem with the idea is getting people to actually gather and post the information on a regular basis. Perhaps if a group of people stepped forward and each took turns making the posts once a week it would work.

Sanis Prent
Apr 11th, 2002, 11:14:06 PM
well I WAS planning on RPing this out...

If anybody had ever heard of my GNN idea and all...

so if anybody wants to participate in that, I can get it up and running :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 12th, 2002, 01:40:24 AM
Participate!?

*watches people flee the thread in terror* Hmmmm....

:D

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 12th, 2002, 01:47:10 AM
I'm up to it :)

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 12th, 2002, 02:02:46 AM
Me two

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 12th, 2002, 02:06:25 AM
I wish I could but I don't think I have time.

Vega Van-Derveld
Apr 12th, 2002, 04:00:03 AM
I'd be interested in helping.

The only problem I could see with this, would be covering the whole universe, as it were. Trying to fit everything that was going on in it, not just what was going on with a certain group of people.

Zasz Grimm
Apr 12th, 2002, 07:46:22 AM
I will gladly contribute to helping when I return from being away. Should we have a forum dedicated to this one thing? If we did people would possibly see that and catch the jest of it and participate.

Gav Mortis
Apr 12th, 2002, 07:49:05 AM
I don't like the sound of roleplaying something like this out if I'm honest. It's just that there's no way, in-character, that the actions of my Gav character could be reported, he lays so low he might as well be invisible. The same goes for many other characters, there's just no way the actions of everything that goes on would be known on an in-character way. But if it was reported, then we'd have to ask: "Well how did you find out, in-character, what my character did?"

It should be OOC information, certainly not in-character information. Otherwise it'll create an enormous loop-hole in OOC/IC information obtaining, LD - would you like the entire galaxy to know about Pierce and yourself IC, via something like a news channel? I saw you discussing that with Rama in your "Sick of it" thread, so I guess the answers a "no" - I for one certainly don't want 90% of Gav's endevours known in-character.

But like I said earlier, whatever is decided on, I would love to be involved in information collecting and writing reports as it were. The best way to handle this would be to assign at least two people to each faction, I say at least two because if there's more, this means that they can assign specific members of specific groups to specific reporters, if you follow my meaning.

ReaperFett
Apr 12th, 2002, 07:50:20 AM
Thats true. Just because you're a Jedi, doesnt mean you'd be known.

SeanDMan
Apr 12th, 2002, 07:55:53 AM
It was tried at TRF. The only thing that ever came of it was the biased trife that is their Propoganda forum. The first two issues of the newspaper focused on one group, and then dissapeared entirely.

If ya can pull it off, more power to ya.

Zasz Grimm
Apr 12th, 2002, 07:57:57 AM
I agree with gav, having it be OOC information on your IC char would be a whole lot better than IC knowledge, imagine if you were planning an attack on TSO or TSE, or GJO and it was told about, would kinda defeat the purpose.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 12th, 2002, 09:47:34 AM
Its sort of like when the press asks the US Navy where the submarines are.

I shouldn't know where the submarines are. The fact that I have no idea where they are is a good thing. The only people who should know is the members of the Navy who need to know and the mariners themselves.

Arya Ravenwing
Apr 12th, 2002, 09:52:58 AM
Gav, you read my thread! Awwwww. :)

Yes, I was assuming that it would be OOC knowledge only, not IC. IC, no one really knows all that much about LD, because she keeps to herself. Goodness, she doesn't even know what the Coven is, so there is IC knowledge that she doesn't have.

TheHolo.Net
Apr 12th, 2002, 10:41:30 AM
I too agree that it would probably be better for this to be done on an OOC basis and posted, as it was the one time before, in the Portal News forum. Seeing as the RP section makes up 60% or more of this boards daily posting, I think a weekly newsletter in the Portal forum would be very appropriate to have, and could also serve to help new visitors familiarize themselves with the happenings in the RP universe.

If enough are interested in helping it might do to have an information thread in here with the individual events, posted by many different people so that as many as can be included in the updates are included. Then the one who’s turn it is to make the weekly news post can add the information they compiled to the information posted and make their news post.

I know it isn’t a perfect world and there probably will be oversights but trying to come up with a system that has some checks and balances to try and avoid that as much as possible would be the best course of action, IMO.

Verse Dawnstrider
Apr 12th, 2002, 11:22:01 AM
Maybe if you get people to tell you if they want the thread in the paper. If i have a thread where Verse just goes on a vacation, I don't think it would be important enought to include, but if there is a thread like when him and Athena battled, it would be sorat important. Some people just don't want their threads pointed out all the time. Maybe they should send you the link for the ones (if any) they want in.

Also, Will the thread included be in progress, or finished, or both?

Arya Ravenwing
Apr 12th, 2002, 12:03:14 PM
I want mine pointed out all the time! :mischief

SeanDMan
Apr 12th, 2002, 12:16:30 PM
But then you would just wuss out of them :crack

Arya Ravenwing
Apr 12th, 2002, 12:39:03 PM
Bump that thread!

Garrett Blade
Apr 12th, 2002, 03:22:01 PM
Just because a character is "unknown" does not mean their exploits would go unnoticed. How often do you read in the newspaper "A man was killed at 3:15 this morning by blah blah blah!". You don't What you get is "A man was killed in the early hours of this morning. Eye witnesses claim they heard several gunshots, and noticed a man leafing the subway with a gun...". The crime or act will be heard of - but the identity will be unknown. An investigation has to be carried out - THEN the identity may be revealed. That could always be decided by the character owner who is concerned though. I personally would LOVE my name (Garrett Blade) in the newspaper as my character would get kicks out of it.

And I'm all for the idea of interviews. Imagine Garrett Blade on Parkinson or Frank Skinner! LMAO! :)

Just my humble opinion. I'd also mbe interested in participating.

Gav Mortis
Apr 12th, 2002, 03:31:45 PM
"A man was killed at 3:15 this morning by blah blah blah!". You don't What you get is "A man was killed in the early hours of this morning. Eye witnesses claim they heard several gunshots, and noticed a man leafing the subway with a gun..."

But that sort of thing is no good for keeping roleplayers informed on what is going on in the community, that sort of thing would be great for a character who works in the media, but not when you're trying to keep a community of roleplayers updated on the events which transpire during a week.

Phantom
Apr 14th, 2002, 12:40:17 AM
Well those that are interested e-mail me at sithdarthphantom@yahoo.com or contact me through AIM or MSN my IM name is SithShadowMaster my MSN e-mail is spark_of_starscream@hotmail.com e-mail me your current e-mail addy as well as your IM name and/or MSN e-mail.