PDA

View Full Version : How can Lucas make Episode 7,8,9?

Sage Hazzard
Apr 11th, 2002, 10:20:42 AM
I'm sure this has been debated before, but I'd like to voice my opinions.

I don't care if Uncle Georgy has said he will or won't make 3 more episodes after 2 and 3. He seems to change his mind frequently.

The question is, how can they make it? I wouldn't think they could do a sequel to close to the 6th installment, because the actors are too old now. And since the NJO books seem to cover the later years pretty well, and contradicting the books would be a slap in the face to book buyers, how can they make a sequel?

I was thinking, the only way it can be done well, is if they do prequels. Although I guess it'd be called -1, -2, and -3, hehehe. It could feature the exploits of Qui-Gon as a Padawan, and perhaps before then.

Hmm... Any thoughts?

CMJ
Apr 11th, 2002, 10:22:45 AM
I read the original concepts for Episodes 7-9 several years ago. There is NO way they could be made...at least not the way they were originally envisioned.

darth_mcbain
Apr 11th, 2002, 10:36:00 AM
While I agree that making 7-9 could be a slap in the face to book buyers, I don't think that should be what stops them from making the movies. I don't think that any of the EU books are considered canon by Lucasfilm, and if they are, it is probably a "second-string" canon, behind the "first-string" canon of the movies. They shouldn't feel that they have to follow books that other authors have written.

Also, I highly doubt that they would use the original actors from Ep. IV-VI in the sequels (if they were even interested.) They are too old now for that - We would be watching "Ep. VII - A New Nursing Home"

While I wouldn't mind seeing them do three more episodes, it's not going to happen. GL has said it himself that he wouldn't, and while I'm sure he's changed his mind in the past about stuff, I don't think he would about this. And I would NOT like to see the series continued by another director or crew. This is George's baby, and I wouldn't want to see anyone else do it.

So I guess we'll never see 7-9, but hey, George, prove me wrong...

BTW - CMJ, what were those concepts you were talking about? Did they give overviews of what was planned for those films initially?

Sage Hazzard
Apr 11th, 2002, 10:50:26 AM
Well, it could always take place after the NJO books. And it could have appearences by Luke and the gang, since they'd be about as old as they are now. That MIGHT work. Although I think another set of prequels might be easier.

I've learned to take anything that Lucas said as half facts until they're proven. Maybe his kids will beg him to do more so they can star in them. :lol

CMJ
Apr 11th, 2002, 10:53:44 AM
"BTW - CMJ, what were those concepts you were talking about? Did they give overviews of what was planned for those films initially?"

Exactly my friend. Of course the concepts I read for Episodes 1-3 turned out very different it seems(at least with the 1st one). So I guess Lucas could re-invision 7-9, but as originally conceived...no way could he do them.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 11th, 2002, 10:57:47 AM
Unless I am mistaken 7-9 was about Luke facing off against the Emperor, I think Lucas had invision more after ROTJ and I think he scrapped the whole idea in favor of Vader killing the Emperor. Personally I am not sure if they could be done, Lucas is nearly 60 and the way he works it takes 3 years to make each movie so that is basically another ten years and he will be 60 something when he finishes 3 and he would then have to start on 7 right away and he still be in his 70's when he is done, so personally I think its highly unlikely they will ever be made.

darth_mcbain
Apr 11th, 2002, 10:58:22 AM
What did he initially have planned for those, CMJ? Just curious...

Edit: Oh never mind, Carr just posted some of that...

CMJ
Apr 11th, 2002, 11:05:56 AM
My memory on it is a bit hazy but here goes....I read half page summaries of what were originally planned around '98 on some SW website. They quoted some magazine article from the 80's.

Episode I - History of the Jedi(woulda been a cool film but I understand how it would be next to impossible to be made)
Episode II - Intro to Obi-Wan and his story, meets Anakin near end.
Episode III - Clone War/Anakin's fall
Episode IV - We saw it
Episode V - We saw it
Episode VI - Luke rescues Han, space battle, Final confrontation with Vader(didn't say how it was resolved..just that it was resolved). No Emperor.
Episode VII - More Space battles, Han dies...episode ends sadly. I don't remember what was said about Luke.
Episode VIII - Leia elected leader of rebellion(I think Mon Mothma got killed).
Episode IX - Final confronatation between Luke/Emperor...climactic space battle, Republic victorious.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 11th, 2002, 11:12:46 AM
Han dying would have sucked, I am glad they filmed it the way they did.

CMJ
Apr 11th, 2002, 11:16:09 AM
Still...the series woulda had an even more epic feel... we woulda seen more setbacks for the Rebellion. Plus, alot more space battles...I always found it a bit abrupt with the defeat of the Empire's Armada.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 11th, 2002, 11:22:18 AM
True it would have been interesting (as long as they changed Han's death, which he might have changed anyway) I admit it does seem convient for everything to end so neatly but I think that was partly the arrogance of Palpatine he put fleet there (not sure what percentage it was if you read the EU the Empire still has a lot of ships left so maybe a 1/3 to 1/2 of the Imperial Fleet) setting up the trap and that arrogance led to his fall.

Charley
Apr 11th, 2002, 11:54:22 AM
I honestly hope 7,8, and 9 are never made.

It will ruin the feel of the saga.

Having it end the way it ends in ROTJ is perfect.

Doc Milo
Apr 11th, 2002, 12:29:26 PM
I'm with Lounge Lizard. I hope 7-9 never get made as well.

I wouldn't be against a television series (considered EU, not canon) based on the NJO, though.... That would be interesting...

Charley
Apr 11th, 2002, 12:56:27 PM
I think animated television series or animated movies of EU would be cool.

But as for making new "true star wars" movies? no no no.

The way its set up now, its like the ultimate modern greek epic or something. Adding to that "full circle" feeling cheapens it IMO.

This is generally why I don't read EU.

JMK
Apr 11th, 2002, 01:30:21 PM
I agree 100%. If there are more Star Wars stories that Lucas wants to tell, then I really think he should find another medium for them. A 6 part saga is already quite long, and although it will never happen, Lucas would probably like to be remembered for something else other than Star Wars.

Figrin D'an
Apr 11th, 2002, 02:46:34 PM
I have to agree... I wouldn't want Episodes 7-9 made... ever.

It just wouldn't work... and I doubt that Lucas is going have the drive to do another trilogy after the prequels are finished. I thought I remember him saying in an interview a few years ago that there were other projects that he wanted to do after the prequels were finished, completely unrelated to Star Wars. So... it seems pretty clear that he wants to close the book on the saga after Episode III.

JMK
Apr 11th, 2002, 02:49:39 PM
As well he should too. I mean, he's given us the best movies ever, and any more would seem like beating a dead horse, or milking the name for all it's worth.

ReaperFett
Apr 11th, 2002, 04:55:27 PM
IIRC, the Dark Empire comics had a few elements of 7-9

Jedieb
Apr 11th, 2002, 09:09:58 PM
The plans I heard for the third trilogy were pretty much what CMJ read. Luke saves Vader, in EP6, but the Emperor and the Empire still live. The third trilogy revolves around Luke rebuilding the Jedi order and then finally confronting and defeating the Emperor in EP9. That bit about Han is new to me though, I'd never heard of that but it sounds right. I really think that Lucas sealed the book when he had the Vader and the Emperor die at the end of ROTJ. The movies are done as we know them after EP3. If we get another set of SW movies in our lifetime they're going to feature an era we haven't seen yet. I can picture an older Mark Hamill playing a wise old Luke, but you'll never see Harrison Ford in another SW movie. He's got no inclination or incentive to make them.

JMK
Apr 11th, 2002, 09:19:09 PM
I would prefer to see a SW film made thousands of years before anything in the current movies. I would love to see the origin of the Jedi/Sith split.

Figrin D'an
Apr 11th, 2002, 09:38:29 PM
I think an animated series or a miniseries-type deal could work for showing the 'ancient times.' Something about the Golden Age of the Sith, or the Great Hyperspace War...

But not a full length feature film...

Arya Ravenwing
Apr 12th, 2002, 02:48:39 PM
I heard that 7-9 (if made ever) would possibly deal with the SW universe about 50 years after RotJ. If so, it would deal with the Solo progeny (if Lucas ever envisioned any) and the current actors would be the correct ages to have supporting roles.

*shrugs* I'd like to see it done, if it could be done right. At the rate the movies are coming along, I don't see it being done.

And lets not ruin SW with animated spin offs. Please? :uhoh

Figrin D'an
Apr 12th, 2002, 03:33:52 PM
There have already been animated spin-offs, so it's not like the 'Holy Grail' hasn't been tarnished already... throw in the EU books, action figures, that crappy C-3PO cereal and stuffed Jar-Jar dolls...

Sorry... it's waaaaaaaay to late to save that kind of dignity.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Apr 12th, 2002, 03:41:36 PM
Don't forget about the animated short on the Holiday Special.

Or what about the animated "Droids" show

And then there was that Ewok show...

Figrin D'an
Apr 12th, 2002, 03:47:06 PM
And two or three 'Ewok' TV-movies...

Like I said... waaaaaaaay to late...

ReaperFett
Apr 12th, 2002, 03:48:11 PM
Ewoks was good. It was for kids, and kids enjoyed it. Whats the problem?

Figrin D'an
Apr 12th, 2002, 04:00:48 PM
I'm not arguing with you... the Ewok stuff was fine for the kids... I just wanted to make the point that doing an animated series about the 'ancient times' in the Star Wars timeline wouldn't be some horrid depravity to the movie series.

ReaperFett
Apr 12th, 2002, 04:12:03 PM
Well, if they followed the Tales of the Jedi series, they wouldnt have too much of a problem. Lucas was highly involved in that.

Arya Ravenwing
Apr 12th, 2002, 04:34:20 PM
Well I haven't seen any of it. So. Maybe I'll just stay away from it then. ;) Actually, if the animation was good, then it wouldn't be bad. I was just imagining something Rugrat-ish or Pokemon type animation - :eek That would be terrible! IMO

Sage Hazzard
Apr 12th, 2002, 09:46:32 PM
That'd be awesome if they could do something along the lines of the Final Fantasy movie. That kind of animation.

I think it should have to do with way in the past, or way in the future. If you can skip like 30 years from episode 3 to 4, then why not for 6 to 9? That'd be good.

If Lucas would let other people help him in directing and writing, then he could focus on other things at the same time. By that I mean he delegates responsibilities, then reviews the work as it goes along. That way he can do other movies like he wants to, and it might even go quicker.

JMK
Apr 12th, 2002, 10:18:19 PM
I don't think SW will necessarily end with episode 3. In time, like everything else, SW will fade if new material that is exposed to the masses on a wide scale. So with that said, I don't think some kind of animated movie/series detailing events completely unrelated to this saga is out of the question.

Master Yoghurt
Apr 16th, 2002, 10:48:15 AM
If you asked me like 10 years ago if he should make all 9 chapters, I would have agreed. But now, the actors are too old and we allready got the EU books which covers the time after the original trilogy. Besides, it takes so long time making these movies, and I fully understand Lucas wants to spend the rest of his producing/directing carreer to new projects. Actually, I am much more excited what else GL could come up with. It is not like SW is the only cool thing he's done. Take a look at Indiana Jones series for example. Those are great, fun movies a lot of people want to see some continuation of. I am sure he got other exciting projects in his mind as well. We have not seen the last of Lucas.

But returning to your original question. Is this the end of SW series as a live actors medium? Perhaps not. There is an overwhelming interest for everything related to SW, and there is plenty of timespan in the Old Republic to make a or several high budget mini series. Where did the Jedi come from, the Sith, the holocrons, the lightsaber, the Massassi temples, Exar Kun, Naga Sadow etc. Those time periods would be compelling to see at home, at the comfort of a TV screen/projector, lights dimmed, perhaps a decent surround sound setup, and some friends on a saturday evening. :)

ReaperFett
Apr 16th, 2002, 10:59:10 AM
ANd remember, the Sith history we know of was part done by Lucas :)

JMK
Apr 16th, 2002, 12:26:00 PM
The more I think about it, the more I can picture the Flanneled one saying "I really wanted to show the origins of the Jedi and the Sith, and how they came to be, what their differences were and how they spread throughout the galaxy. That was the real impetus for this mini-series".

Sound like Uncle George?

Master Yoghurt
Apr 16th, 2002, 12:43:29 PM
Yeah, that sounds just like him, lol

He also have some excellent directors like Rick which would ensure he would not have to baby sit his team throughout the whole production. A miniserie would not take nearly as long as a SW movie, and he would have some time for other projects.

JediBoricua
Apr 16th, 2002, 08:40:45 PM
There was an essay some years ago on TF.net about a tv-series concerning the X-Wing stories. How cool would that be! Personally i love non-force characters, I would love to learn about other heroes of the Republic, old and new. It would be exciting and it would get decent ratings from star wars fans and sci-fi fans in general.

About making 7-9, sounds too star trek for me, nothing against star trek, is just that after so many movies it kinda of looses the charm, i don't want that happening to Star Wars.

Alec Lafeyette
Apr 16th, 2002, 08:54:30 PM
That would be really cool. The only reason I would want episodes 7-9 would be to see what happens to all the characters, see some new ones, and have more awesome space battles. The X-wing trilogy pretty much covers that all, and just seeing a movie being made out of the things you've read would be neat by itself.