PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars cereal

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 9th, 2002, 08:50:54 PM
I was in Kroger today and what do I see on the Shelf the new Star Wars cereal, they had two different covers one had Anakin, Count Dooku, and Padme, can't remember who was on the other besides Obi-Wan, I just picked up the box and got it. The cereal is some kind of sweet corn puffs, and marshmellos in different shapes including Yoda, Slave 1, Jedi Starfighter, R2 and Red and Blue Lightsabers, not sure what it tastes like have to have a bowl in the morning to see if its edible. Already though I liked this new marketing campaign, General Mills is better than Tricon, Parents will buy this for their kids more likely than taking them to Taco Bell to get the different cups. I also read somewhere that they are also coming out with Yogurt and Fruit Roll ups which sounds cool.

CMJ
Apr 9th, 2002, 08:52:47 PM
SW cereal, huh?? I was at the store just the other day and Spiderman was all over a few brands of cereal. The dueling merchandise. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 9th, 2002, 08:59:33 PM
Yeah its Kellogs vs General Mills (they are 1 and 2 in the cereal world) the spiderman cereal looks lame, to me and the box isn't as good as the Star Wars box and they are offering some cheap plastic thing in the Kellogs boxes while GM are offering Lighsaber pins and giving away movie cash for kids to the next SW movie.

JMK
Apr 9th, 2002, 09:00:58 PM
Won't even be a contest.;)
I wonder if I have them up here yet. For once, I'll go to the grocery store on my way home...

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 9th, 2002, 09:06:39 PM
I don't Kroger seemed to have got them earlier around here, I haven't spotted them anywhere else yet, maybe by next week they will be everywhere I am not sure. I thought they were suppose to come out April 23 like everything else but then again I don't think the guys at the warehouses know the differences and just throw it on.

JMK
Apr 9th, 2002, 09:10:44 PM
Thank the Good Lord for stupidity.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 9th, 2002, 09:14:42 PM
LOL, but I wouldn't say its stupidity when groceries are concerned when they come in to the warehouse I imagine they just send them out. I guess its possible Lucas doesn't care about the cereal its not like going to spoil the movie or anything.

BUFFJEDI
Apr 9th, 2002, 09:41:21 PM
Do you guy's remember c3-po's ?? I still have a box:x un opened

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 9th, 2002, 09:57:48 PM
STAR WARS CEREAL?!?!!?

Okay, that's going too far. LUCAS STOP THIS PATHETIC MERCHANISING!!!

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 9th, 2002, 11:34:41 PM
I don't think its bad idea, and its not knew as Buff said I remember C3Po it came out not long after ESB I believe, I can't remember what it taste like but it was pretty popular I think. Its not a big deal because this stuff is more for kids anyways and I think its a heck of lot better than the Tricon garbage they had.

JMK
Apr 10th, 2002, 07:02:31 AM
I remember the 3P0 cereal. And the way it tasted. The box used to be my avatar way back on ezboard.

Jedieb
Apr 10th, 2002, 01:22:36 PM
An unopened box of 3PO's is quite the collectible, congrats buff. I saw the two boxes at WalMart just the other day. They look great, but I passed on them. I'm not going to collect much in the way of promotional items this time around. There's going to be another cereal promotion which will feature a mail away offer for a free die cast racing car with an AOTC paint scheme. That's the one I'll probably go for. When I remember the brand I'll post it.

ReaperFett
Apr 10th, 2002, 01:31:37 PM
STAR WARS CEREAL?!?!!?

Okay, that's going too far. LUCAS STOP THIS PATHETIC MERCHANISING!!!

Least he doesnt release 3 editions of the same film in 3 months.

JMK
Apr 10th, 2002, 04:09:41 PM
:lol

True he releases the 3 movies once every 3 years!

ReaperFett
Apr 10th, 2002, 04:26:22 PM
IIRC, 94 came the digitally remastered. 98 the SE. 2001 the rerelease. That right?

Because most films will get relealeases if they sell out. 3 DVDs in three months is just to cash in :)

JMK
Apr 10th, 2002, 04:51:31 PM
I know I know, I was just joking.
That is insanity. But Star Wars didn't get to where it is because of lax merchandising and promotion.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 10th, 2002, 05:16:56 PM
I like to get that race car too Jedieb that looks cool, its General Mills Right? (I know it is their car at least). I am still curious about the Yogart. I wonder what they will do with that, maybe have a Yoda Yogart or something :P

CMJ
Apr 10th, 2002, 05:58:25 PM
The movie cereal I remember as a kid is "E.T." cereal. I seem to remember that stuff lasting WELL after the film came out too.

Charley
Apr 10th, 2002, 07:53:49 PM
I have a videotape with a C3P O's commercial on it :)

BUFFJEDI
Apr 13th, 2002, 07:29:17 PM
posted by jediEB(S)(An unopened box of 3PO's is quite the collectible, congrats buff.) :p

I Do seem to remember JMK having the 3po avatar.But not for long?

Jinn Fizz
Apr 13th, 2002, 08:10:51 PM
I bought the 2 boxes of cereal today, as well as 2 boxes of Gogurts and a box of Jedi Berry Blast fruit rolls. Oy, but the fruit rolls are pretty pathetic to eat, but at least my magic motion sticker card is of Obi-Wan vs. Count Dooku. :)

Now I just need the General Mills cereal boxes with the little race car offer, 'cause I want some of those!

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 13th, 2002, 08:48:30 PM
The Lays Ep 2 promotional bags came out today, I saw some at one store, so already EP 2 merchandizing is different this year, this time things are gradually coming out.

JonathanLB
Apr 14th, 2002, 03:38:37 AM
The merchandising is great, that's half the fun! I love Star Wars merchandise. I am glad I was totally involved in the TPM promotions and really spending a lot of time on all that stuff because that'll never happen again, well maybe not never, but never with a Star Wars movie will there be such awesome marketing.

And it never will happen again that any film will ever be that anticipated. It was just an incredible event and you couldn't walk anywhere without seeing Star Wars. I love that. In fact, I love it when other films include Star Wars references, it's like praying to God. It's something religious people should do, and filmmakers should include at least one Star Wars reference or include some piece of Star Wars merchandise/prop in every film they make.

Like even in that god-awful horrid film The Sweetest Thing, there was a nice Star Wars scene, a lightsaber duel for a few seconds, lol. Kevin Smith movies, even E.T. has many many many Star Wars references and even music (listen for the cue when you see Yoda through E.T.'s ghost outfit or whatever and you hear a few notes of SW music).

If I'm ever a semi-well known director even, my films will all have Star Wars references. Kevin Smith is the man. :)

Dangit my TPM book needs to be published because it's such a nice recollection of all that happened last time around, I like reading it again myself and I've read the damn thing probably 100 times. I know I edited it 13 times but while writing it I read everything so many times it boggles the mind.

I am still doing an Episode II book even without the success of the first one, I just definitely want to do it.

"STAR WARS CEREAL?!?!!?

Okay, that's going too far. LUCAS STOP THIS PATHETIC MERCHANISING!!!"

What's the big deal? They had cereal before as people mentioned, C-3PO's, big deal. The SW films have always been huge on merchandising, always. They always will be too. Lucas created the idea of movie marketing practically, before him it was just t-shirts and maybe a pack of Jaws chewing gum, that was it. After him, it is everything and makes more money for major films than the movie itself. Don't think for a moment he'll let someone else outdo HIS idea. :)

I can't wait until AOTC opens, I want to watch the box office numbers again, that always was fun. A good reason to get out of bed in the morning (which as everyone knows is about noon or 1, or that's my morning anyway, haha).

JMK
Apr 15th, 2002, 07:45:55 AM
I also loved seeing Star Wars everywhere, I've never experienced anything like it. I was always going "See? Star Wars! The king of movies!" I was bragging about it to everyone, but you've got to remember that while the time just before and just after release is the SW fan's moment in the sun, some consider all the merchandising as overexposure and actually kept some people from seeing the movie at all. Kind of like spite. I know, their loss, but the agressive marketing didn't work for everyone.